Pages:
Author

Topic: Unveiling the truth over the major Monero scam - page 25. (Read 69410 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I removed it because I meant to say "much of" - the Tweet as originally written gave the inaccurate impression that Cryptonote is written exclusively in C, which just isn't true. I removed it pretty quickly, within about an hour.

In fact the only part that is written in C are the crypto libraries, most of which probably came from other projects (though much the history is not visible to us).

That doesn't mean rest is good, but it isn't C.

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1150
Peter Todd's first Twitter post has been removed and all that is left is something less frank and open about his true views. Guess if you are being paid you should try not to say your clients crap is 'crap'.

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/507427225927708672

I'm out of this shit. Far too much manipulation going on. It stinks to high heaven.

I removed it because I meant to say "much of" - the Tweet as originally written gave the inaccurate impression that Cryptonote is written exclusively in C, which just isn't true. I removed it pretty quickly, within about an hour.

Anyway, code quality is a relative thing; consensus-critical code in cryptocoins needs to have very high standards to be safe and secure. In most cases something like this set of unittests for this code that I'm working on for another project would be considered pretty good, but in the context of consensus-critical I'd consider that code to be really rushed. It'll take a lot more documentation and testing before I'd be anywhere close to trusting it, as well as more thought towards how to make sure others can easily read the code. Even then I still have my doubts that the algorithm is worth the relatively high complexity and thus peer-review penalty compared to a more simple algorithm. (not to mention the language - Python - is kinda suspect due to typesafety issues) But I am on a deadline to get a prototype done, so it'll do for now.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1000
Antifragile
Peter Todd's first Twitter post has been removed and all that is left is something less frank and open about his true views. Guess if you are being paid you should try not to say your clients crap is 'crap'.

I'm out of this shit. Far too much manipulation going on. It stinks to high heaven.

I'm not going to comment on the twitter thing (I don't know why he changed it) but the fact is the code really isn't that bad (other than having a bug in it). I thought otherwise when I first saw is (and yes comments would help) but apparently it is a pretty direct implement of a standard algorithm for finding the highest bit set. That's pretty close to 'clz' described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find_first_set

I likewise wouldn't be surprised if the flat tree construction in the latter part of the function were also a somewhat standard idiom. It's obviously written by someone with a different background and perspective than Peter (or me) and indeed if we are going maintain it we probably have to rewrite a lot of that stuff as a practical matter.

How this relates to the 'Monero scam' I have no idea.

It has nothing to do with it and is part of a larger effort to lower trust in and attack XMR. This thread was started on August 25. Roughly a week later Monero is attacked by someone with an intimate knowledge of it. Lots of sock puppets were active during this whole period on the Monero threads. The supernet thing is suddenly started with special cooperation with BBR. Is this all a coincidence? Generally we call something a coincidence as that is all that is left when we apply a bad theory. (Heard that before.)
legendary

I'm not going to comment on the twitter thing (I don't know why he changed it) but the fact is the code really isn't that bad (other than having a bug in it). I thought otherwise when I first saw is (and yes comments would help) but apparently it is a pretty direct implementation of a standard algorithm for finding the highest bit set. That's pretty close to 'clz' described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Find_first_set

I likewise wouldn't be surprised if the flat tree construction in the latter part of the function were also a somewhat standard idiom. It's obviously written by someone with a different background and perspective than Peter (or me) and indeed if we are going maintain it we probably have to rewrite a lot of that stuff as a practical matter.

How this relates to the 'Monero scam' I have no idea.

donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

Yes, in fact this is a normal corporate practice. We probably all agree that big parts of Cryptonote code (now Monero code) IS 'crap', but spending time complaining about it is indeed not the thing you should do if you are being employed to fix it.  Cheesy

You would be more qualified to say so if you had any to begin with. Also it's very hard to see manipulation in this turn of events.
Activity: 784
Merit: 272

So what? The code base is brand new and needs work. Every Monero investor should know this.

Bitcoin was crap as a stack of cards at one point, it even had freaking goto loops in the code.

Lets keep the record straight: Bitcoin v1.0 had significantly better code quality than Cryptonote does from what I've seen; I just checked and there weren't any goto statements in the codebase. Cleaning up this mess isn't going to be easy, although it certainly is doable.

I'd strongly suggest taking the good part of Cryptonote - the ring signatures - and porting them over to the Satoshi codebase. Monero could be re-released based on that much better codebase and the UTXO set ported over at the same time so all coin owners on the old system were coin owners on the new system.

Creating an exodus option to move over to Bitcoin codebase would be the death of Monero.

There have been too many issues that have come to light recently.

The mining exploit that has been going on and has just been disclosed shocked me.

This attack, given Peter Todd's analysis, is just another major issue that I'm finding it hard to live with.

It's starting to sound like the original Cryptonote code was used to scam people by introducing something new and different. Those of us that have bought into its promise, in good faith, may just be at the tail end of the scam.

This looks like an unravelling of the problems, not a temporary blimp. At the back of my mind now is: 'what next?'

I'm an investor, Peter Todd is more competent to give a technical analysis. It doesn't look good.

Exactly. Pretty much directly after the Mining Software disclosure I got out with a good 30% profit. And I'm pretty sure I won't regret it, ever.

legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!
Monero not a scam, but it turns out a very bad coded shitty coin.

The outcome for the holders is the same:  Cry
donator
Now the troll has happily fallen on my trolling. Well done, me!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
This is just what he admits too.  I would consider it to be much more.
11 mins ago   rpietila   Somebody wanted to know this so here you go - my xmr trading since it first hit 470 (about 1.5days ago)
10 mins ago   rpietila   has made 1.6 btc profit before fees

Remember having said that. Right after the others were asking if I really don't have better things to do than spending 1.5 days glued to the keyboard to earn about €500. I needed to defend myself saying that if I did not, the Monero liquidity would be much less than it is now, and proceeded by saying that 35% of the bids above the recent bottom were actually mine, because nobody else had had time to fill his.

I have also had 25% of the bids in BTC China, and there we were talking about 50x bigger money.

Monero to me is currently nothing that I plan to support me financially. I support Monero, with providing support to the devs, liquidity to the markets, marketing, even technology.

But the enemies are trembling - Monero is like a battle line where the largest battleships of Bitcoin are taking their place, loaded and constantly loading with more coins, ready to unleash the financial privacy upon everyone who might be interested.

2 day ago   rpietila   maqa71, of XMR at least I know full well that I cannot use it for anything.

2 day ago   rpietila   maqa71, of XMR at least I know full well that I cannot use it for anything.

kuriso, are you going to be the last holdout in the big XMR/BBR happy family?  And why are you using such a funny BCT name?
Activity: 8
Merit: 0
11 mins ago   rpietila   Somebody wanted to know this so here you go - my xmr trading since it first hit 470 (about 1.5days ago)

Remember having said that. Right after the others were asking if I really don't have better things to do than spending 1.5 days glued to the keyboard to earn about €500. I needed to defend myself saying that if I did not, the Monero liquidity would be much less than it is now, and proceeded by saying that 35% of the bids above the recent bottom were actually mine, because nobody else had had time to fill his.

I have also had 25% of the bids in BTC China, and there we were talking about 50x bigger money.

Monero to me is currently nothing that I plan to support me financially. I support Monero, with providing support to the devs, liquidity to the markets, marketing, even technology.

But the enemies are trembling - Monero is like a battle line where the largest battleships of Bitcoin are taking their place, loaded and constantly loading with more coins, ready to unleash the financial privacy upon everyone who might be interested.

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Honestly ask yourself, can you ever see somebody like Warren Buffet actively recommending a coin with a name like "Monero" to his newsletter-readers? Do you honestly see any merchants adopting Monero the same way they are beginning to adopt BTC and LTC?

Does any merchant adopt LTC?
donator

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
They are not true believers

If they were true believers, they would try to accumulate at higher prices, not lower prices, right?

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Quote from: DogTheHunter on Today at 09:16:10 PM
I don't think the answers are sufficient to just ignore this situation. Its fucked up and its fucked with my head. I've tried to take some time out but it just doesn't add up. How can this have happened without anyone knowing, and why doesn't it seem to matter? Its not like it happened years ago, it was still going on last month. The guy says he thinks its all cool and xmr is great, but that only means he's got bucket loads of free coins. he managed to spend over $250k mining in costs over just a few months.

The sum DGA made was peanuts compared to Litecoin for example.

"In the first 96 hours, we see a well defined curve that demonstrates instamining occurred, showing 450,000 LTC being created in less than 6 hours. "
Activity: 826
Literally nothing in the OP is evidence of Monero being a scam. Every coin is hyped. The fact that Monero has more supporters than some other coins is not evidence of a scam, it's evidence of a project that is growing organically. Having whales is now an offense? Come out with some arguments that aren't utter tripe.

You may be a rocket scientist, but your use of logic is not very good.

P. Every coin is hyped (wrong)
P. The fact that Monero has more supporters than some other coins is not evidence of a scam (no factual evidence)
C. it's evidence of a project that is growing organically (even if 2 was true, 3 does not follow)

Tut!
My statement was not meant to be an argument, merely a representation of my beliefs based on personal observation over a period of time. I have no hard data to prove that Monero is growing organically, but my observations have convinced me that is the case. My original point that the OP is bereft of any real substance still stands, however. It's pure speculation, and reeks of desperation.
legendary
I don't think the answers are sufficient to just ignore this situation. Its fucked up and its fucked with my head. I've tried to take some time out but it just doesn't add up. How can this have happened without anyone knowing, and why doesn't it seem to matter? Its not like it happened years ago, it was still going on last month. The guy says he thinks its all cool and xmr is great, but that only means he's got bucket loads of free coins. he managed to spend over $250k mining in costs over just a few months.

WTF? How did he spend $250K and get "free" coins?

He was part of a very large mining operation, which spent a lot of money on mining. My guess is that the profit margin toward the end "last month" (i.e. "month before last" in <3 hours) before they shut down was pretty low. Their biggest advantage was in the period before the current dev team fixed it. But don't believe me, read what the writer of that blog post wrote about it:

tl;dr:  Bytecoin was a scam, they crippled the miner, Monero inherited it when Monero was still "bitmonero", and it took a while before the Monero devs got the code fast by undoing the crap that Bytecoin had added.  During that time, I made some money.  After that time, I didn't.  That time has been over for a long time.

To their credit, the Monero devs have always been up-front that there's a lot of work to be done with respect to auditing, both in cryptography and design, and in implementation, and they've made credible progress at doing so.  One hopes that any baggage from the cryptonote/bytecoin fork has been priced in and is well understood by the community, given that the coin's been around for months and the developers have been very up front about these things and their plans for addressing those risks.
Activity: 784
Merit: 272
Activity: 532
lol.

Change 7 days: +20.6%
Change 30 days: +6.8%

Such dump.

compared to Litecoin:
Change 7 days: -5.06
Change 30 days: -21.79

Rikkejohn, you are so dumb.
Activity: 723
Merit: 503
YOU HEARD THE BCN SHILLS ? WE ARE GOING DOWN !!!

Or are WE?
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
XMR got pumped to over .00500 and then dumped.  To all you XMR suckers that are getting pulled into the hype:

http://cryptocointools.com/troll-log/?msg=&user=rpietila&submit=Filter
1 hour ago   rpietila   Jojatekok, I don't think anyone should sell xmr, but I still think price should drop to 420 or 400.
1 hour ago   rpietila   kuriso, I was a seller over 500, and then at 482 but nothing below 470.

9 mins ago   rpietila   but the options notionally make me 15-25%
9 mins ago   rpietila   about 6000 per month if I could keep the pace

9 mins ago   Nekomaou   i rather have rpietila controlling 4% of xmr volume than some slimy chinese whale
7 mins ago   Nekomaou   rpietila, you are the whale xmr deserves c;

4 hours ago   Jojatekok   xmrhodler, Risto and Aminorex won't leave the price sinking below 420k Wink
4 hours ago   xmrhodler   Aminorex understands that a retracement to 42 is very healthy for xmr

I say make bank with XMR all you want but you better know who you're playing with.  They are not looking out for the future of XMR.  They are not true believers, if you want to get sucked into that crap too.

Just an observation...you would have been taken more seriously by using your real account, not some knockoff created for attacking Monero. Man up.
Pages:
Jump to: