Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 31187. (Read 26366964 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
People in this thread referred a few times to the senate hearing being on monday.
See correct date here:

http://www.banking.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_ID=955322cc-d648-4a00-a41f-c23be8ff4cad
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
when I look at the sell wall there seems nothing to sell after $500 to about $1000+ as if no one is selling??

Don't worry, I'll be selling on the other side. Others will be too. The price just hasn't gotten high enough to take a position yet.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code

$500 to get murdered next...
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1022
when I look at the sell wall there seems nothing to sell after $500 to about $1000+ as if no one is selling??
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015
Here's my detailed technical analysis of current events:

LOL, that made me chuckle.
Isn't there a checksum?

Yes, there is a link on the download page "Verify release signatures".

Verifying the checksum of Bitcoin software is important.
If someone were able to change the software on the site, don't you think they'd be able to adjust the checksum mentioned there as well?
That's why developers should always sign the checksums with their keys. However, the client_downloads to checksum_downloads ratio
is daunting.

Checksum is for validating bit errors likely to occur in a bit stream i.e. communication channel. It is NOT EVER EVER meant to be used cryptographically!! It is very feasible to modify the file and keep a valid checksum. In fact, CRC was used in the old 802.11/WEP standard as a message authentication code, and we know how well that worked out.

The entire file needs to be signed, or a secure hash (SHA256 hash in this case) that is signed. Signed by whom and validated by whom in which chain of trust is another can of worms best left unopened.

I know that what is actually provided is a SHA256 hash and not a checksum so I'm just being mean :-(

Edit: Technically it should be a MAC like HMAC_SHA256 as a pure SHA256 is vulnerable to a padding based attack, while SHA-3/Keccak in general is not.
I think you are right. I got caught up in lingo, as they name the file SHA256SUMS.asc on their site.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1745
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
Isn't there a checksum?

If someone were able to change the software on the site, don't you think they'd be able to adjust the checksum mentioned there as well?
That's why developers should always sign the checksums with their keys. However, the client_downloads to checksum_downloads ratio
is daunting.

Checksum is for validating bit errors likely to occur in a bit stream i.e. communication channel. It is NOT EVER EVER meant to be used cryptographically!! It is very feasible to modify the file and keep a valid checksum. In fact, CRC was used in the old 802.11/WEP standard as a message authentication code, and we know how well that worked out.

The entire file needs to be signed, or a secure hash (SHA256 hash in this case) that is signed. Signed by whom and validated by whom in which chain of trust is another can of worms best left unopened.

I know that what is actually provided is a SHA256 hash and not a checksum so I'm just being mean :-(

Edit: Technically it should be a MAC like HMAC_SHA256 as a pure SHA256 is vulnerable to a padding based attack, while SHA-3/Keccak in general is not.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Isn't there a checksum?

is daunting.

The checksums are signed.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
or maybe the first wave of interest hit china and all those rich ppl ?
Activity: 182
Merit: 106
I'm so confused. Sad

What is actually driving this movement in China? It must be upper 90% speculation? And why are the moves so tight? Any blip in China and we almost immediately see equivalent movement in US markets. Just bots? Or something else?

Full disclosure: I sold at ~$310 and yes I'm sick about it.
Isn't there a checksum?

is daunting.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Isn't there a checksum?

Activity: 86
Merit: 16
might as well ask on here: how do you verify (?pgp key) that the bitcoin qt is legit from bitcoin.org ?

http://bitcoin.org/en/download

notice the .exe is 9mb but in actuality it is 11.1 mb.... did someone alter it?

sirus runs that site, i doubt something odd is going on. (unless hacked)
Isn't there a checksum?

Activity: 398
Merit: 250
Here's my detailed technical analysis of current events:

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1745
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1000
I cannot wait till the first 5k+ ask pops up on an exchange.

And as everyone is trying to get out on top, you can bet a domino popping effect of big asks and stampede to eat bids, it won't be pretty then.
might as well ask on here: how do you verify (?pgp key) that the bitcoin qt is legit from bitcoin.org ?

http://bitcoin.org/en/download

notice the .exe is 9mb but in actuality it is 11.1 mb.... did someone alter it?

sirus runs that site, i doubt something odd is going on. (unless hacked)
Isn't there a checksum?
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
I cannot wait till the first 5k+ ask pops up on an exchange.
Activity: 86
Merit: 16
I think the price might actually climb after the senate meeting
I was thinking this, but now that so many people think it, I'm starting to doubt it.

There is that old saying "Buy the rumor, sell the news", so, likely, traders may sell on the news while n00Bh speculators may buy. With this demographic, I don't even assume to know what will happen, new money may outpace those looking to take profits.

There are far too many influences in play. Maybe large investors are waiting for the all-clear to buy in. Or maybe the meetings are being completely overhyped, and nothing even happens at all.

The way I see it, if it goes down and my coins lose value, I can live with that. But if I sell and it goes up, I have fallen off the train, and that would be unbearable after coming this far already.
Jump to: