Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32146. (Read 26472769 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
They're reloading the blockchain but it's 47,000 blocks behind so it's going to take some time.

Oh my god. Really?

/facepalm

the gox strikes again!

Seriously, they're running a professional bitcoin exchange, and all this time, they're using Bitcoin QT? WTF?

tbh: there is a case to be made for using bitcoind. It's tried and true, community-reviewed and in widespread use. Emergency patch availability should be quite high, a broad developer base exists.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
They should also have several fallbacks.  They already generate and sign the transactions with their own code, so they just need to broadcast it.  Any client can do that.
These alternate implementations do things like separate the blockchain management from the network communication from the wallet.

It means you can do things set up clustering on the various pieces for better performance and load balancing.

You know, grown-up software stuff.

I understand that.  I'm just saying that all they need is the network communication code to be able to broadcast the withdrawal transactions, and they should have redundancy in their setup in case a bug is triggered in one client or a server goes down.  Also, I doubt they are using bitcoin-qt... I'm not sure where kazu got that from.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
This is what is known as "The Grind".

can you explain this expression? I can only find baseball and movie references.

Step 5

http://www.ehow.com/how_8232426_process-black-bear-meat.html

lol. thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
They should also have several fallbacks.  They already generate and sign the transactions with their own code, so they just need to broadcast it.  Any client can do that.
These alternate implementations do things like separate the blockchain management from the network communication from the wallet.

It means you can do things set up clustering on the various pieces for better performance and load balancing.

You know, grown-up software stuff.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
No coins have been moving in or out of Gox due to their Bitcoin nodes being offline

They're reloading the blockchain but it's 47,000 blocks behind so it's going to take some time.

Some snippets from IRC - lots of crap between these comments has been removed but you can see what's happening :

[21:52] <@MagicalTux> [23:51:41] so MagicalTux, what about my withdrawal request? <- all our bitcoin nodes were taken down due to an error with our hosting provider, some of the servers will be taken back up soon
[21:53] <@MagicalTux> soon = within a few dozen minutes
[22:31] <@MagicalTux> re-downloading missing part of blockchain
[22:31] <@MagicalTux> new txs will appear as blockchain updates
[22:33] <@MagicalTux> samson_: downloading new blocks as fast as bitcoind can
[22:34] How far behind is it ?
[22:47] <@MagicalTux> right now: "blocks" : 217510,

So a lot of coins will hit gox in a very short period of time today when it eventually catches up.

Or a lot of coins could leave Gox, no?

They've already left gox.

See, that would effectively mean all of the withdraw transactions are "pending." The BTC were debited from user's accounts, just not actually sent on the blockchain to the user's wallets.

To me, this is more bearish for Bitstamp than Gox, considering how likely a fair number of those pending coins were intended to be sold on Bitstamp for people wanting out of BTC.
Activity: 280
How long does it take to withdraw from mtgox to USD these days? I hear its mixed between a month or 2.
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
No coins have been moving in or out of Gox due to their Bitcoin nodes being offline

Some snippets from IRC - lots of crap between these comments has been removed but you can see what's happening :

[21:52] <@MagicalTux> [23:51:41] so MagicalTux, what about my withdrawal request? <- all our bitcoin nodes were taken down due to an error with our hosting provider, some of the servers will be taken back up soon

So a lot of coins will hit gox in a very short period of time today when it eventually catches up.

Good to hear, I was watching this closely, had some coins I wanted off the exchange also. Thanks for posting this.  Smiley

Oh my god. Really?

/facepalm

the gox strikes again!

Seriously, they're running a professional bitcoin exchange, and all this time, they're using Bitcoin QT? WTF?
legendary
Activity: 868
Merit: 1340

Or a lot of coins could leave Gox, no?  I mean, why would anyone want to be depositing coins with Gox when there is little chance of withdrawing USD from there?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
Services needing high uptime should really look at switching to one of the alternate implementations (Bits of Proof or btcd).

The Satoshi client is a prototype, not an engineered final product.

Perhaps when the coins become available the asks might fill in a bit on the various exchanges.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules

Oh my god. Really?

/facepalm

the gox strikes again!

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1013
Services needing high uptime should really look at switching to one of the alternate implementations (Bits of Proof or btcd).

The Satoshi client is a prototype, not an engineered final product.

Oh my god. Really?

/facepalm
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 2267
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
HOLY MOLY!!!

i just woke up to this

Shocked Shocked Shocked

180 by friday? Almost correct Wink

It was still friday somewhere.
legendary
Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
bitcoin is so weird.

LOL. Please tell us when the next crash to single digits will be please. Tongue

I think we are in correction mode atm. Prob to 170-ish. Then I re-evaluate. Single digits might have to wait a week.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
bitcoin is so weird.

LOL. Please tell us when the next crash to single digits will be please. Tongue
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Ultranode
bitcoin is so weird.
Jump to: