Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32498. (Read 26471759 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Quick question here, maybe a little off topic but ok.

Investing in bitcoin related securities (like ASICminer), isn't this extremely dangerous as those shares are coupled to the fluctuations of the BTC price? For example, you buy 10 asicminer shares at 5 btc each. Next, USD price of bitcoin plummets 50% or so. However, asicminer share price stays stable at 5 btc. Now, when you try to cash out your shares to btc and back to USD, you would have lost half your investment. So you got 2 dangerous factors that could fuck you over, either the btc price crashes or the share price itself crashes... It's just too much for me, i'll stick to btc trading :p

My thinking was that ASICminer is valued at X$, so if bitcoin goes up or down the share price would naturally move to reflect that X$ valuation.
and so i used this investment vehicle as a hedge against the volatility of bitcoin, it's too early to say if this will actually work like that in practice, in any case, i'm glad i bought some!  Tongue

Yup, pretty much this. During the last move down to of BTC to 68, AM went from 3.5 to +5. It has since corrected back, with a little premium left in, probably accounted for by more people using it as a hedge.

Nowhere is it written in stone that this behavior will continue forever though. Maybe another asset takes it's place next time.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010
I'll just leave this here:

i never understood why people believe that bitcoin price is a bubble in the first place and not normal price fluctuations in a free and unregulated market. Especially after 2011 so called "bubble" when no one know what will happen next and now we know that bitcoin wont simply die next day.
I and I think many others just bought bitcoins, keep them in safe place, and remain optimistic because we believe its good concept and worth investing. Where is bubble in that?

I think you need to look for the definition of a bubble. Bitcoin bubbles are textbook examples of economic bubbles.

This does not mean anything bad in and of itself. Every free market that is exposed to occasional hype, growth spurts, volatility and promising futures will undoubtedly go through one or several bubbles before it reaches any kind of price stability.

Except that they've "popped" "down" to 5-10 times the pre-bubble price... this a very important difference.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE
Thinking that the "public" has gotten into bitcoin in any manner is laughable. The public is into bitcoin when you can buy Casascius coins on the shopping network.

Too bad Bruce Wagner has been ousted, he would have been the ideal man for the job.

Also can someone quote me so that byronbb can see it?  Kiss

Lol don't flatter yourself troll, you aren't on my ignore list.
legendary
HODL OR DIE

Investing in bitcoin related securities (like ASICminer), isn't this extremely dangerous as those shares are coupled to the fluctuations of the BTC price? For example, you buy 10 asicminer shares at 5 btc each. Next, USD price of bitcoin plummets 50% or so. However, asicminer share price stays stable at 5 btc. Now, when you try to cash out your shares to btc and back to USD, you would have lost half your investment. So you got 2 dangerous factors that could fuck you over, either the btc price crashes or the share price itself crashes... It's just too much for me, i'll stick to btc trading :p

The greatest risk is trusting "some guy" with your coins in exchange for "a share" backed by a company that doesn't really exist within the legal system.
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Little bear coming out...  Grin

He'll grow up in 2-3 weeks.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

My thinking was that ASICminer is valued at X$, so if bitcoin goes up or down the share price would naturally move to reflect that X$ valuation.
and so i used this investment vehicle as a hedge against the volatility of bitcoin, it's too early to say if this will actually work like that in practice, in any case, i'm glad i bought some!  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 896
Hmm, small guys are taking us very close to megawall at 101. Wonder if they will trigger a larger sell, or laughed at for selling in low depth area..
Activity: 434
Little bear coming out...  Grin

Activity: 504

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Thinking that the "public" has gotten into bitcoin in any manner is laughable. The public is into bitcoin when you can buy Casascius coins on the shopping network.

Too bad Bruce Wagner has been ousted, he would have been the ideal man for the job.

Also can someone quote me so that byronbb can see it?  Kiss
legendary
HODL OR DIE
Activity: 518
Return to normal was when we pushed 160 right after 260.

It was just a bounce. Not a trap. And not "return to normal".
Activity: 266

i never understood why people believe that bitcoin price is a bubble in the first place and not normal price fluctuations in a free and unregulated market. Especially after 2011 so called "bubble" when no one know what will happen next and now we know that bitcoin wont simply die next day.
I and I think many others just bought bitcoins, keep them in safe place, and remain optimistic because we believe its good concept and worth investing. Where is bubble in that?

I think you need to look for the definition of a bubble. Bitcoin bubbles are textbook examples of economic bubbles.

This does not mean anything bad in and of itself. Every free market that is exposed to occasional hype, growth spurts, volatility and promising futures will undoubtedly go through one or several bubbles before it reaches any kind of price stability.
Activity: 504

Return to normal was when we pushed 160 right after 260.

We're on the way back up buddy Smiley Smiley
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP

Despair when translated into Bitcoin is price stability.

Thinking Bitcoin is an exception and needs "translation" is Denial.
legendary
Activity: 1372

Despair when translated into Bitcoin is price stability.
legendary
legendary
Jump to: