Author

Topic: What's your opinion of gun control? - page 132. (Read 450471 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Join @Bountycloud for the best bounties!
March 01, 2016, 10:06:35 AM
Funny how whatever is said here you still don't explain why your so protected states such as Texas have still this huge number of rapes and violent crimes. Higher than in less protected states.

I thought guns were here to protect you?
I did explain your attempt to insist correlation equals causation.  It's all caused by pet tigers.

Oh thanks professor Spendulus. So even if we're actually looking at how guns can help fight crimes, correlation between gun accessibility and crimes rates are not relevant?

Do you do everything like this in your life too?
Does that mean that when you say "I love this watch" to your wife while shopping and she buys it to you on your birthday you spit on her and yell at her that "correlation isn't equal to causation! It's not because I said that I loved it that I actually wanted it!".  Roll Eyes

Correlation has to be handled cautiously, and if you give me parameters that can play a role here I'll gladly revise my judgement. But considering my claim is: more guns doesn't imply a better security, I'd say that correlation between number of guns and crime rates is a FUCKING GOOD ARGUMENT!
Activity: 476
Merit: 252
March 01, 2016, 10:00:28 AM
Funny how whatever is said here you still don't explain why your so protected states such as Texas have still this huge number of rapes and violent crimes. Higher than in less protected states.

I did explain your attempt to insist correlation equals causation.  It's all caused by pet tigers.

Hmm... You're the ones arguing that guns help to diminish crimes...

If correlation can't be used then there is NOTHING that can prove anything about gun control debate.

Thank you for admitting you got no proof that guns help society in any way.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
March 01, 2016, 09:08:30 AM

March 01, 2016, 07:32:00 AM
I have known some women who started carrying AFTER having been assaulted or raped.  Argue with their point of view will do you no good, ever.  They are hard core committed to protection, and they are not going to hope some cops might reach them.  THey're not even going to argue with you.  They just laugh and walk away. 

Can't get around it by saying something like "you're in a shitty country."

Maybe that's true, so what?  Few will move from where their families, relatives and friends are.

Oh so now because a few have this opinion it should be made a law?

I can say the same thing you know?
I have known some people who started destroying guns AFTER one of their family members have been hurt or killed by another dumb citizen who was drunk and had a gun.  Argue with their point of view will do you no good, ever.  They are hard core committed to protection, and they are not going to hope citizens will always be careful and cautious with their weapons.  THey're not even going to argue with you.  They just laugh and walk away.
March 01, 2016, 06:25:42 AM

March 01, 2016, 06:24:16 AM
Used to be indifferent about guns and having them. Recently after having my first child my viewpoint is firm now.
Even though I live in a nice area I always sleep with my pistol in a quick release safe under my bed.

The AKs and other guns stay in the big safe for other reasons.

Think that people that can own guns should get the knowledge about owning one and get one.

Cool. It means your kid can find your gun if you ever leave it unwatched.

I just hope he won't be one of the hundred yearly kids who kill themselves with a gun.

maybe you missed the word SAFE

Part of the responsibility of being a gun owner is making sure it is properly stored. maybe you would feel better if the government made sure I did.

Point being...
I would rather have the means to defend myself and my family if something were to ever happen. Rather than call 911 and wait 20min for cops to show up LOL

If cops take 20min to reach you then it means you're in a shitty country.

I have known some women who started carrying AFTER having been assaulted or raped.  Argue with their point of view will do you no good, ever.  They are hard core committed to protection, and they are not going to hope some cops might reach them.  THey're not even going to argue with you.  They just laugh and walk away. 

Maybe that's true, so what?  Few will move from where their families, relatives and friends are.

Well if you're in a shitty country it's another point.

Do whatever you want, if cops take 20 min to reach you after you call them it's not exactly normal.
Most police intervention are done under 10 min where I live. Hard to be faster than that.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
March 01, 2016, 05:10:53 AM
You need to demonstrate that you have solid control of your gun in order to get a license to carry, so, having good control of your gun is an important skill to learn.

Since open and concealed carry requires no registration in Arizona and a couple other states...

I don't hear of anyone accidentally shooting themselves in the hip or foot or armpit.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
February 29, 2016, 10:12:44 PM
There IS a place where "cops" can reach you in the seconds required to stop a criminal attack - it's called prison, not a "country".

And the people that live there are not allowed to have guns.

Everyone that believes the world will be a warm fuzzy blanket of happy feelings if there are no guns should move there!

And then get shot, because it's not too difficult to build or smuggle guns in prisons that don't torture prisoners in solitary confinement every single second of their lives (including bringing medical equipment and staff to their cells or letting them suffer/die). If non-torture prisons can't even manage 24/7/365*infinity zero gun status, nowhere else can either.
legendary
Activity: 1819
Merit: 5547
Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser
February 29, 2016, 09:34:29 PM
You need to demonstrate that you have solid control of your gun in order to get a license to carry, so, having good control of your gun is an important skill to learn.
legendary
February 29, 2016, 09:37:08 PM
There IS a place where "cops" can reach you in the seconds required to stop a criminal attack - it's called prison, not a "country".

And the people that live there are not allowed to have guns.

Everyone that believes the world will be a warm fuzzy blanket of happy feelings if there are no guns should move there!

And sing Kum Ba Ya!

And not bend over and watch out in the showers.

ROFL...
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
February 29, 2016, 07:40:24 PM

legendary
February 29, 2016, 07:13:14 PM
Used to be indifferent about guns and having them. Recently after having my first child my viewpoint is firm now.
Even though I live in a nice area I always sleep with my pistol in a quick release safe under my bed.

Think that people that can own guns should get the knowledge about owning one and get one.

I just hope he won't be one of the hundred yearly kids who kill themselves with a gun.

Part of the responsibility of being a gun owner is making sure it is properly stored. maybe you would feel better if the government made sure I did.

Point being...
I would rather have the means to defend myself and my family if something were to ever happen. Rather than call 911 and wait 20min for cops to show up LOL

February 29, 2016, 03:46:44 PM

Point being...

legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002
February 29, 2016, 03:15:12 PM

Point being...
February 29, 2016, 03:07:44 PM

We used to find the keys to our parents cars and drive around when possible.  That is one of about 1000 things we did which were potentially dangerous.  I don't feel like looking up the numbers, but I'll bet that accidental deaths due to improperly stored firearms and/or improper training are a tiny fraction of the way kids injure themselves.

Back in the day, guns were commonly stored in an unlocked cabinet in the basement.  A few hours of training and a bit of plinking with the 22 was plenty to get even fairly young kids to understand the theory of operation and dangers of firearms.  Accidents did happen but it was pretty rare.  There may be a legitimate argument that 'kids have changed' and are at more risk now.  If so, I would say that the 'low hanging fruit' would be to understand how and why kids have changed and deal with that issue since guns are a tiny fraction of the way problems can occur.  I'd suggest starting by looking at the pharmaceutical industry and related industries which play a role in what kids consume (physically and intellectually.)

Never said the contrary. Just that it's not all bright as the guy I was replying to implied.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
February 29, 2016, 03:06:45 PM

We used to find the keys to our parents cars and drive around when possible.  That is one of about 1000 things we did which were potentially dangerous.  I don't feel like looking up the numbers, but I'll bet that accidental deaths due to improperly stored firearms and/or improper training are a tiny fraction of the way kids injure themselves.

Back in the day, guns were commonly stored in an unlocked cabinet in the basement.  A few hours of training and a bit of plinking with the 22 was plenty to get even fairly young kids to understand the theory of operation and dangers of firearms.  Accidents did happen but it was pretty rare.  There may be a legitimate argument that 'kids have changed' and are at more risk now.  If so, I would say that the 'low hanging fruit' would be to understand how and why kids have changed and deal with that issue since guns are a tiny fraction of the way problems can occur.  I'd suggest starting by looking at the pharmaceutical industry and related industries which play a role in what kids consume (physically and intellectually.)

February 29, 2016, 02:51:33 PM

February 29, 2016, 02:50:32 PM
Because social conditions can, at times, change very rapidly.  Historically there are many cases of this.  Currently, the huge influx of "refugees" is such a condition.

Exactly. More than 1,000 cases of sexual assault were reported from various German cities (especially from Cologne and Hamburg) during the new years eve. More than 1,000 assaults in a 24-hour period! And that is just the tip of the iceberg, as most of the crimes are not reported. According to the latest reports, Arab immigrants are arriving in Greece at a rate of around 5,000 per day.

Cause you think it would have changed ANYTHING to have a gun country....
Absolutely it would have changed things.

Please then explain why Texas is having more rapes than other states while having 83% of whites (which is extremely high) and one of the highest gun concentration in USA.

Here are some more unrelated statistics which you can have fun with.

http://blog.estately.com/2015/03/what-does-each-state-have-more-of-than-any-other/

Obviously all of the above is caused by Texas having more pet tigers than other states.

Let's get real, please.

Hmm... You're the one saying there is a link between number of guns available to the population and rape rates. I never made such bull statement.
I already told you.  It's the pet tigers.

Oh mom look: another climate change denier trump supporter without any argument!
legendary
Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002
February 29, 2016, 02:24:22 PM

legendary
February 29, 2016, 02:15:22 PM
Because social conditions can, at times, change very rapidly.  Historically there are many cases of this.  Currently, the huge influx of "refugees" is such a condition.

Exactly. More than 1,000 cases of sexual assault were reported from various German cities (especially from Cologne and Hamburg) during the new years eve. More than 1,000 assaults in a 24-hour period! And that is just the tip of the iceberg, as most of the crimes are not reported. According to the latest reports, Arab immigrants are arriving in Greece at a rate of around 5,000 per day.

Cause you think it would have changed ANYTHING to have a gun country....
Absolutely it would have changed things.

Please then explain why Texas is having more rapes than other states while having 83% of whites (which is extremely high) and one of the highest gun concentration in USA.

Here are some more unrelated statistics which you can have fun with.

http://blog.estately.com/2015/03/what-does-each-state-have-more-of-than-any-other/

Obviously all of the above is caused by Texas having more pet tigers than other states.

Let's get real, please.

Hmm... You're the one saying there is a link between number of guns available to the population and rape rates. I never made such bull statement.
I already told you.  It's the pet tigers.
Jump to: