Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 205. (Read 901343 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 722
February 14, 2016, 07:48:54 PM

noun, plural theories.

1. a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena:
Einstein's theory of relativity.
Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.

Notice the word "propositions" in #1.

Did you notice the words, coherent, tested and correct?

What about the synonyms, principle, law, doctrine?

Theory might be law. It is not known to be law, except that it matches the law of what a theory is.

Law is always law, never theory.

No questionability in law. But theory is always questionable.

Perhaps some day you will understand...

Theory and law are 2 different categories of things...

A hypothesis becomes a law when it is proven via mathematics

A hypothesis becomes a theory when it is confirmed via induction, makes accurate predictions of future events, withstands peer review, and is accepted by the scientific community as fact, truth, and an accurate representation of reality

A law can never become a theory and a theory can never become a law...

You are saying the equivalent of, "When this cat gets older it becomes a dog"

Correct. A theory can never become a law. It either is a law or it isn't.

Correct, a dog is always a dog, and never a cat

The fact that it is a theory shows that scientists don't know for a fact whether or not it is a law.

Incorrect... A theory does not become a law... for the same reason that a dog does not become a cat
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
February 14, 2016, 07:35:00 PM
Now you are just trolling...

We've been over this theory vs hypothesis = fact vs guess a dozen times already... if you don't understand it, you never will

Your response is the example of a troll's response. Why? All you do is say that I am trolling, but you don't give a logical explanation of of why something I say is trolling.

The real proof that yo are the troll is, I show you the proof that God exists, and you can't show where I am scientifically wrong in the proof. All that is left for you is to troll, since you don't like the "God" idea, but can't refute it.

I gave a logical response... you keep denying reality... you keep saying that a scientific theory is just a guess, and not based in fact... which is a false statement

I provided links to sources the first dozen times I refuted your claim... shall we go for #13?
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theory?s=t, still the same as the last time I provided it:
theory
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]

noun, plural theories.

1. a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena:

Theory might be law. It is not known to be law, except that it matches the law of what a theory is.

Theory and law are 2 different categories of things...

A hypothesis becomes a theory when it is confirmed via induction, makes accurate predictions of future events, withstands peer review, and is accepted by the scientific community as fact, truth, and an accurate representation of reality

Correct. A theory can never become a law. It either is a law or it isn't. The fact that it is a theory shows that scientists don't know for a fact whether or not it is a law.

However, regarding some theories, scientists DO prove that they are laws, at which point they declare that they are laws. They prove other theories to not be law, at which point those theories are dropped from even being theories, or they are modified to the point where they again become questionable, both positively and negatively.

Thus, a theory is a tool. A law can be a tool as well, like the three laws that I have used to prove that God exists.

I rather hope that few Christians figure out that God exists by looking at the three laws that prove His existence. Why? Because their faith in the things that God says is strengthened more by believing the witnesses in the Bible.

If you don't have faith in what God says, you insult Him by calling Him a liar. You endanger yourself when you do this. He just might lock you into your unbelief, thereby locking you out of Heaven

Cool
February 14, 2016, 07:25:53 PM

We've been over this theory vs hypothesis = fact vs guess a dozen times already... if you don't understand it, you never will

Your response is the example of a troll's response. Why? All you do is say that I am trolling, but you don't give a logical explanation of of why something I say is trolling.

The real proof that yo are the troll is, I show you the proof that God exists, and you can't show where I am scientifically wrong in the proof. All that is left for you is to troll, since you don't like the "God" idea, but can't refute it.

I gave a logical response... you keep denying reality... you keep saying that a scientific theory is just a guess, and not based in fact... which is a false statement

I provided links to sources the first dozen times I refuted your claim... shall we go for #13?
From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theory?s=t, still the same as the last time I provided it:
theory
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]

noun, plural theories.

Theory and law are different categories of confirmed hypothesis...

legendary
February 14, 2016, 07:04:52 PM

theory
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]

noun, plural theories.

Cool
February 14, 2016, 06:27:38 PM

theory
[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]

noun, plural theories.

February 14, 2016, 06:15:11 PM
The dictionary definition I used above, is standard regarding dictionary definitions of the word "theory" no matter how it is used

That is your problem.  

This is proof that you either did not take any science in school or slept all through science classes.

Never too late to enroll in evening classes in some high school or community college.

LOL!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Okay. I guess we are down to it. You simply won't accept the proof that God exists.

(Argumentum ad hominem removed)

1) Words often have multiple meanings
Example: Faggot could mean a homosexual person, of a bundle of sticks used for kindling... The context is important... Same goes for the word theory when used in the context of science, it means fact... This has been explained to you 14 times now...

2) Please provide this proof so we can refute your claim instead of ad hominem attack each other

3) When you refuse to provide a source or evidence to support your claim, you are engaging in pseudoscience:
Pseudoscience is often characterized by the following: contradictory, exaggerated or unprovable claims; over-reliance on confirmation rather than rigorous attempts at refutation; lack of openness to evaluation by other experts in the field; and absence of systematic practices when rationally developing theories
legendary
February 14, 2016, 05:54:32 PM
The dictionary definition I used above, is standard regarding dictionary definitions of the word "theory" no matter how it is used

That is your problem. 

This is proof that you either did not take any science in school or slept all through science classes.

Never too late to enroll in evening classes in some high school or community college.

LOL!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin

Okay. I guess we are down to it. You simply won't accept the proof that God exists.

I am a bit curious why, however. I suspect that you believe other things that are factual. I mean, if you were crossing a railroad track, and you saw a train bearing down on yourself at 60 mph, you would get out of the way as fast as you could. Although God is patient and loving, He can be way more dangerous than a train. And you are disrespectful of the nitroglycerin you are tossing back and forth from hand to hand. How utterly reckless of you.

Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
February 14, 2016, 05:45:10 PM

That is your problem. 

legendary
February 14, 2016, 05:36:48 PM

Science theory is science fiction until it is proven to be fact. The science method doesn't have anything to do with believing science theory fiction to be truth when it is not known to be truth.

...believing the fictions of science theory anyway.

You simply do not understand the terminology of science...

Or, more likely, you are intentionally using the terminology incorrectly as many Christians do... Most of the Christians who claim a scientific theory is "science fiction", fully understand that they are a liar... they are misrepresenting the truth because scientifically illiterate Christians are unlikely to know they are lying...

Other Christians might believe the lie, and even propagate this lie on internet forums... Exactly like you are doing... Troll
Now, because you don't want to use the terms and definitions correctly, you bring up another religion besides science theory - Christianity - just to throw people off. If I am a troll in any way, you prove yourself to be a troll extraordinaire.

Another name for "scientific theory" is "scientific knowledge" (hint: knowledge is based in fact, not fiction)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation

As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive power and explanatory capability.

Provide a source for your claim, "Science theory is science fiction", or admit you are nothing but a troll!

Your Wikipedia article is full of self-contradictory material. It seems to call theory fact, but in its wording it also calls theory speculation.

In addition, it attempts to downplay the importance of Newtonian laws, which have never been overturned factually as laws.

Wikipedia, because it can be edited by anyone who wants to take the time finding out the ways to become an editor, is simply a theory of what an encyclopedia should be. Therefore, although it might contain a lot of fact, it needs to be verified by other reference material.

The dictionary definition I used above, is standard regarding dictionary definitions of the word "theory" no matter how it is used. Check the definitions if you want. Science theory is simply a group of points used to describe some idea in ways that are not proven to be true. Until they are proven truthful, anybody who believes they are true, has a religion going with such beliefs of his.

Because of all this, you have not shown the scientific laws I present to not prove God. The existence of God stands proven by science.

Cool
February 14, 2016, 01:23:05 PM

Science theory is science fiction until it is proven to be fact. The science method doesn't have anything to do with believing science theory fiction to be truth when it is not known to be truth.

...believing the fictions of science theory anyway.

You simply do not understand the terminology of science...

Or, more likely, you are intentionally using the terminology incorrectly as many Christians do... Most of the Christians who claim a scientific theory is "science fiction", fully understand that they are a liar... they are misrepresenting the truth because scientifically illiterate Christians are unlikely to know they are lying...

Other Christians might believe the lie, and even propagate this lie on internet forums... Exactly like you are doing... Troll

Another name for "scientific theory" is "scientific knowledge" (hint: knowledge is based in fact, not fiction)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation

As with most (if not all) forms of scientific knowledge, scientific theories are inductive in nature and aim for predictive power and explanatory capability.

Provide a source for your claim, "Science theory is science fiction", or admit you are nothing but a troll!
legendary
February 14, 2016, 12:33:35 PM
Okay - show us proof. And don't start again with you little list about entropy and cause and effect. (Yes - I read before commenting here) Something we can observe and demonstrate.

My little list is the proof. If it wasn't, you could rebut it.    Cool
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
February 14, 2016, 12:25:52 PM
Okay - show us proof. And don't start again with you little list about entropy and cause and effect. (Yes - I read before commenting here) Something we can observe and demonstrate.
legendary
February 14, 2016, 12:18:20 PM
He can't show anything wrong in your "scientific" proof because there isn't anything scientific about it.
In your "idea about God" that is.

An idea about God isn't necessarily scientific proof. One needs to focus on the proof, at least somewhat, if he wants to find ways to rebut it.

Cool
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
February 14, 2016, 12:13:32 PM
He can't show anything wrong in your "scientific" proof because there isn't anything scientific about it.
In your "idea about God" that is.
legendary
February 14, 2016, 12:10:34 PM

The real proof that you are the troll is, I show you the proof that God exists, and you can't show where I am scientifically wrong in the proof. All that is left for you is to troll, since you don't like the "God" idea, but can't refute it.

Smiley
February 14, 2016, 01:08:15 AM

legendary
February 13, 2016, 10:42:09 PM
On the bright side, as people get smarter, they ditch that stone age religion nonsense...

+1

That is exactly right. Education is the key.

I have no problem in people believing whatever they want.  

I have problem with their missionary work.  When they preach what they believe to others and invoke science to justify their hallucinations.

Science and religion should only intersect in mental research facilities.

And this is exactly what happens - science and religion intersecting - when people believe that science theory is truth.

Until you find a better method for separating fact from fiction than the scientific method... Science theory is the best it gets in regards to truth and reality...
That is the same for anybody, and isn't even part of the issue.

Science theory trumps religious hypothesis every time... the primary difference being evidence (or lack thereof)
Actually, not. Science theory is an unknown. Religion can be eye witness report. In this case religion trumps science theory... especially when there is great pain or great joy involved for the people involved in the theory or witnessing.

With proper education, religions like Christianity, Islam and Hinduism will go away... just like all the other ancient religions have...

Nobody believes in Zeus or Horus or Moloch anymore... soon they won't believe in Jesus either.

With proper education, scientists in fields other than the science of religion will see the truth of religion, since they are partaking of religion by believing the fictions of science theory anyway.

Smiley
February 13, 2016, 06:56:56 PM
On the bright side, as people get smarter, they ditch that stone age religion nonsense...

+1

That is exactly right. Education is the key.

I have no problem in people believing whatever they want.  

I have problem with their missionary work.  When they preach what they believe to others and invoke science to justify their hallucinations.

Science and religion should only intersect in mental research facilities.

And this is exactly what happens - science and religion intersecting - when people believe that science theory is truth.

Until you find a better method for separating fact from fiction than the scientific method... Science theory is the best it gets in regards to truth and reality...

Science theory trumps religious hypothesis every time... the primary difference being evidence (or lack thereof)

With proper education, religions like Christianity, Islam and Hinduism will go away... just like all the other ancient religions have...

Nobody believes in Zeus or Horus or Moloch anymore... soon they won't believe in Jesus either.
legendary
February 13, 2016, 05:16:40 PM
Do you spend much time coming up with these sci-fi ideas or do they come naturally to you?

The scientists come up with them. That's why they call them theories.     Roll Eyes

So you're only parroting them back. I see.

Now that you think you see, you are really blind. If you said that you did not see, there might be hope for you.

Cool

And the fact that I don't believe in God means that God exists, right?
You're really funny. And I bet you would be funnier after a few beers.
But you only drink wine, isn't that so?

Well, that might be so in your case.

However, I was only replying to the goofiness of eon89 in that reply.

Smiley
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
February 13, 2016, 04:54:31 PM
Do you spend much time coming up with these sci-fi ideas or do they come naturally to you?

The scientists come up with them. That's why they call them theories.     Roll Eyes

So you're only parroting them back. I see.

Now that you think you see, you are really blind. If you said that you did not see, there might be hope for you.

Cool

And the fact that I don't believe in God means that God exists, right?
You're really funny. And I bet you would be funnier after a few beers.
But you only drink wine, isn't that so?
Jump to: