Pages:
Author

Topic: Why do Atheists Hate Religion? - page 50. (Read 901342 times)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0
May 28, 2018, 12:24:35 AM
So I see 2 threads of why islam hates people or why people hate Islam. I dont see the point of such a mundane debate based on religion any debate for or against religion would be stupid. Either you are stupid to believe what a prophet / god / divine entity said or you are stupid enough to believe you can change the minds of the bleak minded people who follow such a prophet / god / divine entity.

But since its fun let me initiate my own brand of 'why do' topic.

WHY DO ATHEISTS (like me) HATE RELIGION ?

Seriously what has to happen in a person's life for them to seriously give up hope on the one true everlasting brand (of religion) which their ancestors have followed for generations.

Everyone has their own story even I have mine, so lets hear some of it.

I believe in every single person have love in their hearts, and the most important that we have to give our respects each other for every human in this world, don't see what is their religion, or nation spread love and respect as human will give you peace in your life.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1038
May 27, 2018, 01:44:23 AM
Religion is a kind of a government but on the spiritual side. And when you have religion you are given limitations just like when you are in a government where laws are sometimes against you. Just like gambling, there are the some form of gambling that is considered illegal and there are ones that nobody would want to consider bad because it is legal and yet it is still the same game. So in religion some people like to have freedom of doing whatever they want and believes nothing but what is good and pleasurable to them. They are straightforward and doesn't care about anything or any rules of life except what is pleasurable. Maybe this is the reason why they would hate religion.

So criminals then.
Activity: 45
May 27, 2018, 01:14:50 AM
Religion is a kind of a government but on the spiritual side. And when you have religion you are given limitations just like when you are in a government where laws are sometimes against you. Just like gambling, there are the some form of gambling that is considered illegal and there are ones that nobody would want to consider bad because it is legal and yet it is still the same game. So in religion some people like to have freedom of doing whatever they want and believes nothing but what is good and pleasurable to them. They are straightforward and doesn't care about anything or any rules of life except what is pleasurable. Maybe this is the reason why they would hate religion.
legendary
May 26, 2018, 08:20:22 AM
For all of you that think they're so smart, so logical, so scientific, well I tell you gravity is an unproven theory! How is this scientific, how is this logical, how is this intelligent to say something is an incontestable, irrefutable fact so obviously true that to question it is blasphemy when it's not?

Gravity is the atheists God, without it their whole universe, the very ground they stand on falls apart; it also requires faith.

I am an Atheist, I don't worship gravity.   

I am not sure why religious folks think that Atheists must worship something. 

I question everything, learn, read, but worship?  I don't think so.

As for gravity, it is a consequence of curvature of spacetime caused by large mass objects.

This theory, this mathematical framework, this model descriptive of a force that's not real is unproven. You have to believe, to imagine to have an unyielding faith that it's describing the face of reality and is true. Atheism goes hand & hand with the the globe and its bastard children geology and evolution, and the assumption that the unproven theory of gravity is true is a must for these stillborn abominations.

I am guessing you did not like science in school.

I've said nothing that would lead to that conclusion. I was almost as baffled by all the bullshit as everybody else in school and subjects like science and math were areas I excelled at.

I do however recall back in very early grade school being scolded for pointing out the images in the NASA Moon landing picture book were the same, as the movie images in the The Empire Strikes Back and Dune movie picture books; I understood that they were multiple images merged together for a fictional story.

Not sure what to tell you, I think you are on your own with this one.  Maybe see a psychologist, I cannot help you.  Try a different forum.
https://www.psychforums.com/

^^^ This is a prime example of cognitive dissonance. Their argument they claim is scientific, logical and intelligent but atheism fails these tests on all fronts and our disillusioned friends here are left with nothing but confusion and negative emotions.

Now he strikes at me with concern trolling, this is the low road folks.

Yeah... he is the example of cognitive dissonance, not you. Tell me, since you started believing in your retarded conspiracies, has your life changed? You are still here typing garbage in this forum, go expose the governments dude, be a superhero or something.

^^^ This one strikes at me with an ad hominem attack, can you feel the hate?
aff
Activity: 36
May 26, 2018, 05:28:55 AM
Not all atheists hate religion just like not all people of a certain faith hate other religions or try to force their beliefs on others.

Pretty much every group has very in your face/polarized thinking type of people. whether it be religion, politics, sports, foodies, boomers, millennials, left, right, pepsi or coke.
People that are very vocal about something usually dislike the other side for whatever reason and want to be validated.

Most people are not like that, Most people go by the motto live and let live.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 645
May 26, 2018, 05:13:13 AM

Because we live in a world with nuclear weapons, and we can't afford to have a global society where some people live their lives thinking that this life is irrelevant because the real prize is the afterlife.

All it takes is one suicidal religious zealot with a nuclear bomb, and a lot of innocent people are going to die. As a species, we needed to stop coddling religious belief when the atom bomb was invented. The stakes are too high now, and we can't afford the sort of nonsense that gets passed off as "religious wisdom" anymore.

I agree that people should never think this life is irrelevant. However, I would argue you are misdiagnosing the fundamental problem.

The true challenge is that the human power to do evil is growing much faster then our wisdom to not be evil.

Islamic countries may be developing nuclear weapons now but with relentless technological development there will soon come a time when everyone even single individuals will be able to unleash that kind of devastation.

Ridding the world of religion would not solve the actual problem it would worsen it.

When any single disgruntled individual has the ability to destroy a city block or unleash a biological plague that can kill thousands what is the solution?

I believe religion has a critical role to play in answering to that question as I argued in this earlier post.

An Argument for God

Problem is that your proof is not scientific, it's pseudo-science. Using the godel theorem wrongfully is not a good justification for your beliefs. Your second claim is just as bullshit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherence_theory_of_truth#Criticism
It's no wonder you like jordan peterson, he talks in the same bullshit manner as you and while I agree with many of his points about sjw's, black lives matter and all the modern bullshit, I don't agree with his views on god or his ''life philosophy'' People have repeatedly pointed out Peterson's reliance on unfalsifiable, unscientific and indefensible psychoanalytic models, you do the same.
Activity: 1624
Merit: 645
May 26, 2018, 05:06:37 AM
^^^ This is a prime example of cognitive dissonance. Their argument they claim is scientific, logical and intelligent but atheism fails these tests on all fronts and our disillusioned friends here are left with nothing but confusion and negative emotions.

Yeah... he is the example of cognitive dissonance, not you. Tell me, since you started believing in your retarded conspiracies, has your life changed? You are still here typing garbage in this forum, go expose the governments dude, be a superhero or something.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
May 26, 2018, 04:21:37 AM

As for gravity, it is a consequence of curvature of spacetime caused by large mass objects.

Slightly off topic but my favorite theory of gravity is that it itself isn't a real, fundamental force, but an illusory, emergent one. The idea is that gravity emerges from a more fundamental phenomenon in the Universe entropy.

This is currently a topic of some theoretical research. It could be totally wrong of course but it's fascinating.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2017/10/04/are-space-time-and-gravity-all-just-illusions/#437cfb6d41cf

That said my experience with discussions with notbatman in the past have been notable for his casual dismissal of all contradictory evidence as conspiracy making productive conversation unviable.
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
May 26, 2018, 03:37:53 AM

Because we live in a world with nuclear weapons, and we can't afford to have a global society where some people live their lives thinking that this life is irrelevant because the real prize is the afterlife.

All it takes is one suicidal religious zealot with a nuclear bomb, and a lot of innocent people are going to die. As a species, we needed to stop coddling religious belief when the atom bomb was invented. The stakes are too high now, and we can't afford the sort of nonsense that gets passed off as "religious wisdom" anymore.

I agree that people should never think this life is irrelevant. However, I would argue you are misdiagnosing the fundamental problem.

The true challenge is that the human power to do evil is growing much faster then our wisdom to not be evil.

Islamic countries may be developing nuclear weapons now but with relentless technological development there will soon come a time when everyone even single individuals will be able to unleash that kind of devastation.

Ridding the world of religion would not solve the actual problem it would worsen it.

When any single disgruntled individual has the ability to destroy a city block or unleash a biological plague that can kill thousands what is the solution?

I believe religion has a critical role to play in answering to that question as I argued in this earlier post.

An Argument for God

legendary
May 26, 2018, 02:08:06 AM

legendary
May 25, 2018, 05:35:12 PM
For all of you that think they're so smart, so logical, so scientific, well I tell you gravity is an unproven theory! How is this scientific, how is this logical, how is this intelligent to say something is an incontestable, irrefutable fact so obviously true that to question it is blasphemy when it's not?

Gravity is the atheists God, without it their whole universe, the very ground they stand on falls apart; it also requires faith.

I question everything, learn, read, but worship?  I don't think so.

This theory, this mathematical framework, this model descriptive of a force that's not real is unproven. You have to believe, to imagine to have an unyielding faith that it's describing the face of reality and is true. Atheism goes hand & hand with the the globe and its bastard children geology and evolution, and the assumption that the unproven theory of gravity is true is a must for these stillborn abominations.

I am guessing you did not like science in school.

I've said nothing that would lead to that conclusion. I was almost as baffled by all the bullshit as everybody else in school and subjects like science and math were areas I excelled at.

I do however recall back in very early grade school being scolded for pointing out the images in the NASA Moon landing picture book were the same, as the movie images in the The Empire Strikes Back and Dune movie picture books; I understood that they were multiple images merged together for a fictional story.
Activity: 233
Merit: 10
May 25, 2018, 03:53:19 PM
I don’t think most Athiets hate religious people or their religions per say. They generally hate the consequences that stem from those religious beliefs. There has been a lot of violence committed in the name of various religions. I don’t hate any religious person that practices their religion peacefully and tolerates others doing the same. I hate people that commit acts of violence in the name of their religion as well as anyone else that support these types of people.
legendary
May 25, 2018, 02:04:51 PM

I question everything, learn, read, but worship?  I don't think so.

legendary
May 25, 2018, 12:40:29 PM

https://i.imgur.com/riNvSbO.jpg

Why do you think gravity is a theory? Gravity, whatever it is, is in existence all around us and through us. For example. Gravity not only holds me to the ground, but it also holds my car to the ground. You don't simply float in the air, do you? It is gravity that holds you down.
   You can't define your argument.
What does theory have to do with it? Gravity theory is merely the ideas of what gravity is made out of, and why it works the way it does. Gravity theory is not gravity. Gravity theory is an explanation of the fact of gravity. Gravity theory may be wrong, but gravity is in evidence all over the place.
   Circular Logic.
Go into a house and look at a wall. Tap your fist on the wall. Kick the wall mildly. The wall is there. What holds the wall there? The studs behind/inside the wall. But you don't really know that the studs are there except if you saw the wall being build. The wall is in evidence, the studs are not.

Same with gravity. Gravity is like the wall. Gravity exists all over the place. People use it all over the world. In fact, there is no place on earth that is evidenced to be without gravity.

Gravity theory is like the studs inside the wall. We know that something is there, inside the wall. But we don't know if it is really studs; some walls are held up by plywood rather than studs. If it is studs, we don't know if they are made of pine or Douglas fir or sheet metal beams. We don't know how many of them there are. We use tools like stud finders to learn something about the studs in the wall.

The wall exists; gravity exists. The reasons for gravity existing the way it does are not known clearly, just like much of the info about the studs in a wall is not known clearly.

Blabbing about gravity theory being wrong, doesn't negate the fact that gravity exists, even if the theory is wrong.
   False analogy; logical fallacy.
What does this have to do with atheists hating religion?

Cool
   Cognitive dissonance; "the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes, especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change." -- Google
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 25, 2018, 11:49:43 AM

https://i.imgur.com/riNvSbO.jpg

Why do you think gravity is a theory? Gravity, whatever it is, is in existence all around us and through us. For example. Gravity not only holds me to the ground, but it also holds my car to the ground. You don't simply float in the air, do you? It is gravity that holds you down.

What does theory have to do with it? Gravity theory is merely the ideas of what gravity is made out of, and why it works the way it does. Gravity theory is not gravity. Gravity theory is an explanation of the fact of gravity. Gravity theory may be wrong, but gravity is in evidence all over the place.

Go into a house and look at a wall. Tap your fist on the wall. Kick the wall mildly. The wall is there. What holds the wall there? The studs behind/inside the wall. But you don't really know that the studs are there except if you saw the wall being build. The wall is in evidence, the studs are not.

Same with gravity. Gravity is like the wall. Gravity exists all over the place. People use it all over the world. In fact, there is no place on earth that is evidenced to be without gravity.

Gravity theory is like the studs inside the wall. We know that something is there, inside the wall. But we don't know if it is really studs; some walls are held up by plywood rather than studs. If it is studs, we don't know if they are made of pine or Douglas fir or sheet metal beams. We don't know how many of them there are. We use tools like stud finders to learn something about the studs in the wall.

The wall exists; gravity exists. The reasons for gravity existing the way it does are not known clearly, just like much of the info about the studs in a wall is not known clearly.

Blabbing about gravity theory being wrong, doesn't negate the fact that gravity exists, even if the theory is wrong.

What does this have to do with atheists hating religion?

Cool
legendary
May 25, 2018, 11:18:50 AM

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
May 25, 2018, 10:09:35 AM
Nobody likes being forced into something that he doesn't want. The problem with atheists and religion is that they think that atheism isn't a religion. But atheism is a religions, especially if an atheist attempts to defend atheism. Study atheism a little. Look at the definition in dictionaries. Google "atheism religion" and read the various things said there. Atheism is simply another, freer, less dogmatic religion.

If atheists hat other religions, isn't that what many theists do? Don't theists often at least detest religions other than their own? Atheists are simply being religious, and often zealously religious, about their own religion.

Cool
Activity: 42
May 25, 2018, 08:55:08 AM
There is a very bad misconception that atheist hate religion. They do not hate religion there aren’t against at least most aren’t. I think atheists don’t like when people try to push a religion on to them
Activity: 175
Merit: 1
guestcrew.com
May 25, 2018, 12:26:44 AM
if atheistic souls do not experience emptiness and can continue to synergize with life, then they do not consider religion important, it should be underlined that not all atheists despise religion, they just do not care and regard religion as a fairy tales story.
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
May 24, 2018, 12:41:44 PM
I'm an atheist and I don't "hate" religious people, but I do practice "conversational intolerance" when religious people say something in a conversation that doesn't make sense. If someone told me that they believed that Jimmy Hoffa is secretly the President of the United States, I could openly disagree and no one would blink an eye. But if I disagree with someone's assertion that a particular god exists, or that Jesus died for my sins, or that _____ is wrong because of their religious beliefs, I get labelled a "militant atheist." But I do it anyway sometimes because it is important to remind religious believers that there isn't a difference between belief in a god and a belief in less-popular supernatural things like unicorns and fairies. I'm not a dick about it, I don't say "you're an idiot for believing that!" I just disagree.

Why do I do this?

+1

I agree.  Humanity has much bigger problems to deal with.  We don't need to argue if Earth is flat, or is 6000 years old, if a 6th century moral code or a Bronze Age moral code is the correct code to follow, or that some undefined entity exists or does not exist in this or other universes and controls everything we do and is interested which holes he stick our you know what.  There is no proof it does exist so let's move on.

There is not much to argue about these religious statements, but to say it is nonsense, let's move on.  Earth is a globe, and is much older than 6000 years.  Universe was not created as some intricate design but was created as a massive explosion.  We came about as a result of evolution, not were made out of dirt by some sky daddy.

These things should be obvious to anyone who can follow scientific discoveries, can read and follow basic logic.

Humanity should focus on how to survive the next millennium not dwell on what people 5000 years ago thought is the right punishment for adultery, homosexuality, what to eat and what not to eat. 

I wish humanity just snaps out of it.  Majority of people on Earth seem to be in some sort of ancient cult (aka religion).  It is truly unbelievable.

Pages:
Jump to: