Author

Topic: why do people agree to pay taxes? - page 113. (Read 50995 times)

Activity: 68
Merit: 0
February 07, 2015, 02:22:38 AM
My guess: the rich will always be able to hire half of the poor people in the world to kill off the other half that doesn't "fit the mold" so to speak.
Activity: 223
Merit: 100
February 06, 2015, 09:01:43 PM
I guess it's because not so long ago in the not so distant past, if you never paid you're taxes then you would more than likely meet you're maker sooner than expected.

My bet is it was molded into our dna to respect authority and do as we're told when we're told.

Today they are pretty harsh if you are found to be avoiding taxes also although if you have half a brain there are many ways to avoid the biggest taxes  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005
February 06, 2015, 08:55:46 PM
Because tax became necessary for people to pay more than 1000 years ago. I guess people just followed it all the way till now Wink

Old habit...you know...
Activity: 6
February 06, 2015, 07:23:52 PM
Because tax became necessary for people to pay more than 1000 years ago. I guess people just followed it all the way till now Wink
Activity: 658
Merit: 250
February 06, 2015, 09:28:52 AM
Taxes are for the little people, optional for the 1%.
Activity: 500
Merit: 501
http://digitalcoin.org/
February 06, 2015, 09:26:59 AM
Screw all that legal crap! The government lawyers will always find something.
The best thing is to stop working and go on social assistance. You can't get blood out of a stone!
Either that or just leave the country.

Good idea. Go on social assistance to avoid taxes so that people who pay taxes can support you.

TT
Activity: 40
February 02, 2015, 05:48:08 PM
Screw all that legal crap! The government lawyers will always find something.
The best thing is to stop working and go on social assistance. You can't get blood out of a stone!
Either that or just leave the country.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
February 02, 2015, 03:43:21 PM
You are being taxed because you are under a contract with "the government".

It is not a social contract; it is a commercial contract.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011
February 02, 2015, 03:03:48 PM
The problem is that most people are not willing to voluntarily pay for things that is necessary to protect them. They however tend to expect for such services to be provided

Is this really a problem?
  • Is it a problem if a person expects to get food from a shop but is not willing to pay for it?
  • Is it a problem if a person expects me to be friendly to him but is not willing to be friendly in return?

I'd say not only is this not a problem, but that even considering this a problem is itself a problem.  As an evil capitalist I believe that:
  • the shopkeeper should not feel pressure to give their food away for free because the food is expected.
  • I should not feel pressure to continue a friendship with someone that treats me like dirt just because this person expects friendship.
And further, a person should not feel the need to pay taxes just because the net beneficiaries of taxation expect it.
My point is that people do not want to pay for things like national security, food safety, roads, and consumer protection services, ect. voluntarily. Collecting taxes is the only way to pay for these things.

In your example, the shopkeeper should give a portion of his earnings to the government in return for protection from robberies (via the police force and the threat of jail via the legal system), and for the roads that his customers use in order to travel to his shop.

People don't want to pay for frequent skywriting competitions, weekly chess classes, or door-to-door ass-wiping services either.  Here too, taxes are the only way to pay for these things.

Why should people be forced to buy that which they do not value?  Why do you believe that government should act directly against the wishes of the people?
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
February 02, 2015, 01:55:10 PM
Goverments don't really care about their people (most of them don't ) and they want is fill their pockets and walk away.
If people disagree to pay taxes , they will simply blow their heads off .
Activity: 532
February 02, 2015, 01:47:08 PM
The problem is that most people are not willing to voluntarily pay for things that is necessary to protect them. They however tend to expect for such services to be provided

• Is it a problem if a person expects to get food from a shop but is not willing to pay for it?
  • Is it a problem if a person expects me to be friendly to him but is not willing to be friendly in return?

I'd say not only is this not a problem, but that even considering this a problem is itself a problem.  As an evil capitalist I believe that:
  • the shopkeeper should not feel pressure to give their food away for free because the food is expected.
  • I should not feel pressure to continue a friendship with someone that treats me like dirt just because this person expects friendship.
And further, a person should not feel the need to pay taxes just because the net beneficiaries of taxation expect it.
My point is that people do not want to pay for things like national security, food safety, roads, and consumer protection services, ect. voluntarily. Collecting taxes is the only way to pay for these things.

In your example, the shopkeeper should give a portion of his earnings to the government in return for protection from robberies (via the police force and the threat of jail via the legal system), and for the roads that his customers use in order to travel to his shop.
Activity: 378
Merit: 254
February 02, 2015, 01:27:19 PM

How about you'll pay taxes because the jackbooted gubermint thugs (which my taxes pay for) will pwn ur ass if you don't?
See?  It's just like the libertard utopia--muh own private army (which I & my buddies kicked in for) doing my bidding & protecting us from freeloaders like yourself.
Don't like it?  Start your own army & see how that goes Undecided
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1011
February 02, 2015, 08:09:28 AM

legendary
February 02, 2015, 06:08:59 AM
whats so wrong with taxes? i assume most of you have a computer in front of you, the people who build and designed the computers had educations paid for by government taxes, the government pays for the internet backbones in there country. if you dont want to be apart of civilization then go get a block of wood and go waterworld it, but no mater what ends up happening you will end up paying someone a tax of some sort(protection money, the fees for exchanging gold into oranges ) your just someone who is only reading half a book

All of that can be done voluntarily - except the protection money part: That is taxation.

if by protection you mean the army, i could care less about who claims ownership of the land my house is build on. In my opinion the soil does not belong to any human.

I mean protection from the protectors. Just like the mafia.
legendary
Activity: 1106
February 02, 2015, 01:39:52 AM
whats so wrong with taxes? i assume most of you have a computer in front of you, the people who build and designed the computers had educations paid for by government taxes, the government pays for the internet backbones in there country. if you dont want to be apart of civilization then go get a block of wood and go waterworld it, but no mater what ends up happening you will end up paying someone a tax of some sort(protection money, the fees for exchanging gold into oranges ) your just someone who is only reading half a book

All of that can be done voluntarily - except the protection money part: That is taxation.

if by protection you mean the army, i could care less about who claims ownership of the land my house is build on. In my opinion the soil does not belong to any human.
Activity: 532
February 02, 2015, 01:24:29 AM

legendary
January 31, 2015, 08:14:27 AM
It is kind of nonsense, because taxes are payments you don't agree with - hence the question is absurd. Politicians love that, by the way.
legendary
January 31, 2015, 08:11:27 AM

legendary
Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008
January 31, 2015, 07:56:43 AM
Once again folks, "tax" is a word which means payment.  A governing body runs a restaurant, an owner, manager, and their govorning structure.  If you eat there you will be presented with a tariff, tax, bill, check, list of damages.  etc.  If you choose to pay or not depends on if you are happy with the goods and services you received there. 

I'm not sure what's so complicated about this arrangement that you are arguing about. 

If there is a specific company / organization / corporation and you are asking about why we pay them, please name it,  Otherwise this entire thread is nonsense.     
Activity: 68
Merit: 10
January 31, 2015, 07:43:39 AM

There's nothing wrong with taxes if they're spent right, but some people feel like taxes are theft if they don't agree to pay them or what they're actually spent on. The examples you give aren't really valid either. There are alternative ways of building society voluntarily and you don't have to be a naturist hippie if you simply don't want to be forced to pay taxes. You should have the choice.
Jump to: