Pages:
Author

Topic: Would you kill your own children if God commanded you to? - page 3. (Read 9690 times)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0
This reminds me of Fear and Trembling by Danish philosopher Soren Kierkegaard. In it he talks about the biblical myth of God testing Abraham, by  asking to kill his son Isaac. It is a proof of faith.

Personally, I would trust that the message of the deity I follow, is one of love. And I would try to reconcile that to love. In fact when things are going rather rough I think of this.

It is indeed a good question and what that has long been analyzed in philosophy.
Activity: 20
If God asks me to kill my children, I have no choice than to obey because he was the one who gave the children to me so he can take them away as and when he desires.
Activity: 1638
Merit: 300
Would you kill your own children if God commanded you to?
A perfectly valid legit question.

Please no attempts to derail the thread with nonsense like "God would never say that" or "God would never change the rules with murder" etc....
unfortunately yes, i am aware of gods, existance, i doubt however that he is unable to avoid that situation this question is more meant for ordinary believers.

And why would you do that? What will they do if you killed your own children? Is that a sacrifice for the sake of the faith to them? If killing children proves that we are faithful to our gods I will just stay as a person who do not believe in them. Our god made 10 commandments and one of them is about killing. We must not kill, as the commandment implies so if the GOD command us to kill our children, then he is not the GOD I know but the Devil that tempt people to commit sins.
Activity: 35
So let's try it again ... (post was deleted before, because it was offtopic???) Idk, but here are my two cents:

I would never kill my children, even if there was a god commanding it. It would only proove he/she/it is not god, because no real god, in the sense I understand it, would ever do that, imho.

For those interested in my thoughs about god and why it's not even possible for a god to ask you that, read the original post (I promise it's not offtopic):
How would he even do that? Thinking of god as aperson he could probably just tell me, nut this makes no sense, as a person cant be a god. He would be limited in many ways.
So lets think about god as a force that is everywhere, like gravitiy.
And voila you'll probably notice god = sum of all natural forces, which equals to god = nature.
What is nature? It s the entirety of our universe, and of all others, assuming there are ones.
So how could those universes, just being a sum of all forces command you to kill your children?

See, told ya! Not more off-topic than talks about jihadists and stuff, a few posts above. If someone reported my post because he/she disagrees, please stop. :-) It's not helping the discussion.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
First of all I do not trust in God, no offence it is everyone's personal choice you can believe in God if they think they need it but even if I believe in God I do not think I will ever do something like that. I mean come on use your mind why will anyone give a Ganesh their own child anyone they love because someone else commanded them to. Just imagine what will happen if the commander is wrong and he is blind it by someone others so they gave you the wrong command and you kindly do the wrong think. Never do the wrong thing which your heart do not allows you to do it is forever wrong.
Activity: 2100
Merit: 641
sig. code creator start @$10 - PM me!
Of course I would, if only I were the Prophet. In fact I am just a human being and it is unlikely that God will meet me while living both consciously and subconsciously. So I do not want to do.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 325
i say it very clearly this readiness to sacrifice your children to god, is actually the most important part of the abrahamic religon

islam makes it very bold by having its biggest celebration "ramadan" around it
Activity: 1470
Merit: 325

Please no attempts to derail the thread with nonsense like "God would never say that" or "God would never change the rules with murder" etc....

unfortunately yes, i am aware of gods, existance, i doubt however that he is unable to avoid that situation this question is more meant for ordinary believers.
Activity: 322
I know that it is really hard to do something harmful to your own child, especially killing him. To be truthful, I can't even imagine what I would do in a situation like this. But first of all, I would remember, that I am a child of God and He wants only the best for me. Maybe this way He is testing my loyalty to Him (what happened with Abraham). So I would really try to obey the command of God.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
No I would not.

Just because in the old testament God commanded Abraham to kill his son and he was willing to do so does not mean it was right.

First of I do not think that this story actually happened.

And If a God did command me I would flat out refuse.

I do not think God would ask for anyone to do such a vile act to begin with.

My God is an all loving God who would never condone such atrocities!
Activity: 11
The story of the Akedah, or Binding of Isaac, is an excellent example of why it's ignorant to take a story from scripture, assign a literal meaning to it divorced from thousands of years of interpretation, and then either ridicule or defend it on the literal basis.
Activity: 672
Merit: 251
No, I would have thought that I was mad and would not have killed anyone, especially my own child.

Completely , perfectly agreed with your ideas. A sane person cannot kill his or her own child because Killng their own breed is the most horrible crime which a human being can commit. That's why, A so-called god do not make people kill their own children.
Activity: 27
On the first place no parents can actually kill their own children and I don't think that God will give us that command because in the case of Abraham when God asked him to offer Isaac God provides ram to be killed as an offering.  But God just tested  Abraham's obedience.
Activity: 501
Merit: 252
Can't we see in reality ? All those Jihadis are killing themself on command of " American God " and " Dollars "

The difference is ... These jihadis are killing Innocent Civilians on command from American CIA in exchange of Dollars. And at the end getting killed by Resistance.

The thing is who is obeying which God ?
Activity: 266
Merit: 12
Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange
No, I would have thought that I was mad and would not have killed anyone, especially my own child.
brand new
Activity: 0
No, and I would go to the nearest doctor if I heard a voice in my head telling me to.
Activity: 92
I will never do that, i love my children and  they are the gift given by God, i think god love to see a good and happy family if he wants to do that i will offer also my life to him because i want to be with my children.
Activity: 210

God know's what is better for us and I believe that He command this for our sake. Like what He says in the bible "Hebrews 13:5 I will never leave you know forsake you" .
Activity: 434
Merit: 25

NO !! God will never ask such a thing, unless you were destined for hell and HE just wants you to fail his tests  Grin Grin
Activity: 490
Merit: 250

I would not kill my child if God orders me to kill my child and in no circumstances would i do it. If God will punish me and condemn me to hell for eternity for disobedience then so be it.
Pages:
Jump to: