Pages:
Author

Topic: Xbox One - page 8. (Read 6698 times)

Activity: -
Merit: -
May 30, 2013, 06:20:19 PM
Is it just me, or does the Xbox One look like the slim PS2's? Or the PS3?

The fuck was on Microsoft's mind?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
May 30, 2013, 05:21:10 PM
I'm surprised no one has brought up the 24/7 Kinect. It's a big deal on most gaming forums and one of the reasons I won't be purchasing.

Huge fucking let-down. I was expecting something revolutionary. I guess I got what I deserved for high expectations.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
May 30, 2013, 05:21:07 PM
I'm surprised no one has brought up the 24/7 Kinect. It's a big deal on most gaming forums and one of the reasons I won't be purchasing.

It's not 24/7 if you unplug it.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Sometimes - history needs a push.
May 30, 2013, 05:16:14 PM
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
May 29, 2013, 07:24:31 AM
Xbox One: Is that the Gaming Console reserved for the President and his staff?

No, it is reserved for calladoody 11 year olds.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
May 29, 2013, 07:06:04 AM
Xbox One: Is that the Gaming Console reserved for the President and his staff?
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007
May 27, 2013, 01:01:57 PM

lol, I love your little show there. The online requirement for offline games is something I hate the concept of, and I also don't like the idea of being forced to tie keys to your account so that the games can't be sold/traded. I used to live off preowned games, and I think it's going to do more destruction than good for them to require the keys.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
May 27, 2013, 04:51:18 AM
1. Get high-end computer
2. Get USB controller
3. Enjoy your PS5 and Xbox Tree-Fitty
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
May 27, 2013, 04:29:17 AM

Xbox One: Rumor is that it Might Play Games too
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1278
Primedice.com, Stake.com
May 27, 2013, 03:51:03 AM
I'm quite curious who will win this generation, I have to say I am a bit disappointed with the Xbox. I wasn't really a fan of the original Kinect so not too pleased to see it return. The true winner of this generation though will probably be AMD who is behing the GPU/CPU
legendary
May 25, 2013, 12:53:57 PM
I am similarly annoyed by STEAM, but its prices are so alluring I often find myself clicking "Buy" before I stopped thinking.

People must have noticed this, but I know with Steam their discounts are unfairly biased against indie developers, if there are indie developers out there now I'd much rather pay them directly in Bitcoin and without any DRM whatsoever. You see it all the time, they constantly discount the indie games and then put on tiny discounts for the mainstream games, the only time I see them make a move to discount the bigger games is if there is a Christmas special and even then if it's a really popular title they know will sell like with Skyrim they'll hardly touch it.

You don't ever actually own these games and you can't have them stored on your hard drive or USB stick forever, so you're basically paying full price in order to rent and people don't even bloody realise it. I don't know about the situation with consoles because I haven't bought a console since the PS2 but I'm just as suspicious of them.

I imagine most of that has just as much to do with the developer as it does Steam. In order to even think about selling a digital game they have to somehow ensure that users are not going to upload it everywhere they can and give it away for free, or else publishers probably would never give them rights. Same with prices. The mainstream games are going to have much higher, and more strict royalties. I wouldnt be surprised if they had to get permission from the name brand publishers before putting their games on sale at all.

I'm thinking they would work with the developers too. It wouldn't make sense to list my game for $19.99 and then have Steam forcefully change it to $2.99 for a sale, only giving a dollar or two per sale they make. If I listed it and they wanted to work with me to find a good sale price, then I would have no issues coming up with one.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
May 25, 2013, 09:20:58 AM
I am similarly annoyed by STEAM, but its prices are so alluring I often find myself clicking "Buy" before I stopped thinking.

People must have noticed this, but I know with Steam their discounts are unfairly biased against indie developers, if there are indie developers out there now I'd much rather pay them directly in Bitcoin and without any DRM whatsoever. You see it all the time, they constantly discount the indie games and then put on tiny discounts for the mainstream games, the only time I see them make a move to discount the bigger games is if there is a Christmas special and even then if it's a really popular title they know will sell like with Skyrim they'll hardly touch it.

You don't ever actually own these games and you can't have them stored on your hard drive or USB stick forever, so you're basically paying full price in order to rent and people don't even bloody realise it. I don't know about the situation with consoles because I haven't bought a console since the PS2 but I'm just as suspicious of them.

I imagine most of that has just as much to do with the developer as it does Steam. In order to even think about selling a digital game they have to somehow ensure that users are not going to upload it everywhere they can and give it away for free, or else publishers probably would never give them rights. Same with prices. The mainstream games are going to have much higher, and more strict royalties. I wouldnt be surprised if they had to get permission from the name brand publishers before putting their games on sale at all.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
May 25, 2013, 06:37:53 AM

Activity: 43
May 24, 2013, 04:49:52 PM

Thats where I disconnect, what features? IE? I avoid that like a plague and only ever open it to cross check browser compatibility on my sites. If I really need to Google something (yeah Bing lost in the Bing v. Google test) while Im watching TV, I have a laptop, PC, Droid, and probably even a tablet soon. Blu-Ray, got one of those in the computer too. I just dont see ANY added benefit to the console.

Blu-ray is dead to me(mine just sits most of the time). I stream all of my movies and have them all in HDX(tru 1080p streaming) all stored and can be watched throughout the household or anywhere there's an internet connection. Even though I have cable service, it doesn't make sense to me when you have HULU plus, and just about every network has an app that shows their shows, sometimes at the exact start time on tv. But, all of this can be accomplished with AppleTV or App driven device. I enjoy having a stand alone video game system, especially with kinect and xbox live. I don't like to ware devices down, so I separate my computers from gaming.
May 24, 2013, 04:43:12 PM
Forget the look. The features are awesome. I do however feel they're taking the Video Game Console into a different direction than where I would go with it. I don't like the whole TV guide feature as I am not going to run and wear out my console anymore than I have to.

Thats where I disconnect, what features? IE? I avoid that like a plague and only ever open it to cross check browser compatibility on my sites. If I really need to Google something (yeah Bing lost in the Bing v. Google test) while Im watching TV, I have a laptop, PC, Droid, and probably even a tablet soon. Blu-Ray, got one of those in the computer too. I just dont see ANY added benefit to the console.

It's 100% voice and motion controlled. You can also skype with friends while watching movies, tv shows, etc. And leave comments about games, shows, movies and music for your friends to read as well. The only thing I like about the TV guide is that you don't have to flip through it, you can just say, "Community" and it will automatically put that show on for you. There are also a lot more features that they showed on their live event can be seen here.
legendary
Activity: 1764
May 24, 2013, 04:39:13 PM
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
May 24, 2013, 04:31:07 PM
Forget the look. The features are awesome. I do however feel they're taking the Video Game Console into a different direction than where I would go with it. I don't like the whole TV guide feature as I am not going to run and wear out my console anymore than I have to.

May 24, 2013, 04:22:09 PM
legendary
May 24, 2013, 05:27:40 AM
I think the name is going to cause problems... those who don't keep up with gaming consoles (generally the parents) are going to hear that their kids want the new Xbox. They're going to see the "One" and the 360, and end up getting a 360.

I think this was a bad marketing move.

Lol.  I don't think that will happen.  No one keeps buying the '99 cars, do they?   Wink

Cars are different. It's obviously not 2099 so people can automatically relate it to 1999.

Consoles are less known. Kind of like PC's. I still get questions about how good a PC with a 40GB HDD is, "because it has a lot of memory and that's good, right?"

This is done by retailers: Move everything about 360 somewhere else. Put "New XBOX ONE" and have HEAPS of them around. Don'T worry, people stupid enough to do this will likely be led by retail store design.

lol, you highly underestimate people on the Internet. A lot of people do their shopping online these days, and you are undoubtedly going to find people buying them off eBay and Craigslist for high prices. Even when the PS3/360 were in-stock in local stores, people were offering 2x what they were worth on CL because they were seen as being "rare."

I guess you could look at it as being their fault though. I never buy anything without knowing exactly what it is, why I need it, and understanding how it benefits me.

Not sure. Here in Germany, the people who are a little "simpler in their technical thinking" buy their stuff somewhere in one of two megastores, Media Markt or Saturn. And both belong to the same corporation, the Metro Group.

They are still winning. Cant comment on the US situation, but Craigslist is something people wouldn'T trust around here and on Ebay, I dare you doing something like this in Germany... people are the worst customers when it comes to online sales...

And you have 14 days legal tenure to send it back.

14 days? That's nuts! Here most stores give a minimum of 30 days. Some give 60-90. And if a store won't take your return and you used a credit card, you can simply do a chargeback and get back your money.

No. 14 days in online sales.

Retail sales, if not broken, are final. If you do a chargeback, you will get a bill twice as high, since the retail store is going to ask their payment provider for info on fraud and send you a bill. Probably their lawyer will. If you do not react to that, you will be quickly listed in an online registry for people with credit problems and reduce your score which makes you big problems if you want a new bank account, credit card, phone contract or get a credit for a house.

Most bigger retailers take things back, but it is a hassle.

Wow, and I thought some of our policies were bad. People dislike our Target stores because they require receipts for exchanges. Wal-Mart will let you return pretty much anything even without a receipt, as long as you are willing to accept store credit instead of cash.

After Christmas we also get extensions to the return policy at most stores, where some give up to 6 months to return an item. The only stipulation is usually that if it is opened and isn't broken, there is a restocking fee (usually 10-15% of the purchase price).
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
May 24, 2013, 05:23:57 AM
I think the name is going to cause problems... those who don't keep up with gaming consoles (generally the parents) are going to hear that their kids want the new Xbox. They're going to see the "One" and the 360, and end up getting a 360.

I think this was a bad marketing move.

Lol.  I don't think that will happen.  No one keeps buying the '99 cars, do they?   Wink

Cars are different. It's obviously not 2099 so people can automatically relate it to 1999.

Consoles are less known. Kind of like PC's. I still get questions about how good a PC with a 40GB HDD is, "because it has a lot of memory and that's good, right?"

This is done by retailers: Move everything about 360 somewhere else. Put "New XBOX ONE" and have HEAPS of them around. Don'T worry, people stupid enough to do this will likely be led by retail store design.

lol, you highly underestimate people on the Internet. A lot of people do their shopping online these days, and you are undoubtedly going to find people buying them off eBay and Craigslist for high prices. Even when the PS3/360 were in-stock in local stores, people were offering 2x what they were worth on CL because they were seen as being "rare."

I guess you could look at it as being their fault though. I never buy anything without knowing exactly what it is, why I need it, and understanding how it benefits me.

Not sure. Here in Germany, the people who are a little "simpler in their technical thinking" buy their stuff somewhere in one of two megastores, Media Markt or Saturn. And both belong to the same corporation, the Metro Group.

They are still winning. Cant comment on the US situation, but Craigslist is something people wouldn'T trust around here and on Ebay, I dare you doing something like this in Germany... people are the worst customers when it comes to online sales...

And you have 14 days legal tenure to send it back.

14 days? That's nuts! Here most stores give a minimum of 30 days. Some give 60-90. And if a store won't take your return and you used a credit card, you can simply do a chargeback and get back your money.

No. 14 days in online sales.

Retail sales, if not broken, are final. If you do a chargeback, you will get a bill twice as high, since the retail store is going to ask their payment provider for info on fraud and send you a bill. Probably their lawyer will. If you do not react to that, you will be quickly listed in an online registry for people with credit problems and reduce your score which makes you big problems if you want a new bank account, credit card, phone contract or get a credit for a house.

Most bigger retailers take things back, but it is a hassle.
Pages:
Jump to: