Pages:
Author

Topic: Xbox One - page 6. (Read 6698 times)

global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
June 11, 2013, 09:13:26 AM
I think i'll think pass on this xbox.
I said this for most of this generation of consoles. I enjoy PC gaming much much more.

Well I like it as well, the problem is I am missing out on adventure games like uncharted and heavy rain. I was happy that mass effect came to PC though.

Hopefully, developers will tell Microsoft where to go and revert to PC, unlikely but we can wish can't we?

lol, sadly this is never going to happen. If it did, they'd move from DirectX and on to OpenGL for cross-platform games. Sadly Microsoft still has the monopoly and for the foreseeable future still will.
It's sad but I guess it's the truth.  Sad

Oh, it definitely is. And it's the only reason I still use Windows over Ubuntu: gaming. There was one group that was trying to create a DX implementation for Linux but there have been no updates since 2011. Guessing it fell apart.

We NEED something better than WINE.
Yeah, that's the main thing why I use Windows too. I'm a hardcore PC gamer and Linux or OS X isn't really an option.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007
June 11, 2013, 09:03:31 AM
I said this for most of this generation of consoles. I enjoy PC gaming much much more.

Well I like it as well, the problem is I am missing out on adventure games like uncharted and heavy rain. I was happy that mass effect came to PC though.

Hopefully, developers will tell Microsoft where to go and revert to PC, unlikely but we can wish can't we?

lol, sadly this is never going to happen. If it did, they'd move from DirectX and on to OpenGL for cross-platform games. Sadly Microsoft still has the monopoly and for the foreseeable future still will.

Oh, it definitely is. And it's the only reason I still use Windows over Ubuntu: gaming. There was one group that was trying to create a DX implementation for Linux but there have been no updates since 2011. Guessing it fell apart.

We NEED something better than WINE.
global moderator
June 11, 2013, 06:33:52 AM

legendary
June 11, 2013, 06:23:42 AM

global moderator
June 09, 2013, 07:57:23 PM
Def agree on PC gaming.  Consoles are just too restricting, especially when it comes to the Xbox.

I'm interested in seeing how the Steam Box will play out, and if it'll just be a glorified computer running Steam in Big Picture mode.  That'd be OK with me.

Agreed. I have been following Steam box and hoping it will shine now that Xbox has revealed this dreadful news.
Steambox seems like a machine that could bring many console gamers to the PC.
staff
Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111
June 09, 2013, 07:48:34 PM
Def agree on PC gaming.  Consoles are just too restricting, especially when it comes to the Xbox.

I'm interested in seeing how the Steam Box will play out, and if it'll just be a glorified computer running Steam in Big Picture mode.  That'd be OK with me.

Agreed. I have been following Steam box and hoping it will shine now that Xbox has revealed this dreadful news.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
June 09, 2013, 07:44:17 PM

global moderator
June 09, 2013, 07:42:23 PM

Yup, hope dies last.
staff
June 09, 2013, 05:01:28 PM

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
June 09, 2013, 04:58:11 PM

staff
June 09, 2013, 04:57:00 PM
I don't like it and I don't like the way microsoft is developing it. It's not a dedicated gaming machine anymore. It's a entertainment system. It's going to cost a total of £600. That's a lot. They have made the kinect compulsory to use which will be on whenever the xbox is turned on. I hate that, there's a reason why I didn't get the kinect in the first place, it's a accessory which I thought was useless.

It's basically a computer, x86 architecture. So they are charging £600 for a GAMING console, which acts like a computer and does what a computer does. Yet, a computer will cost you a lot less and can be upgraded when needed to be.

Moving onto the next thing, games being £90 a pop and having a fee of pre-owned games , what a mess. Plus no backward compatibility, I know there is a reason for this but dam.

I hope PS4 can pull something from under their sleeve and shock us all, at this moment they are being very secretive.

Actually console prices have more to do with the cost of an iPhone. Its the serious limiting factor and partially why this console cycle was 7 years. It doesn't make sense since an iphone cannot play call of duty but apparently people seem to think of the retail cost of an iphone to be the level to pay for consumer hardware. This is also why we don't have certain features on the 1st generation of hardware like backwards compatability despite it being well known an "360 on a chip" has already been designed for that purpose. And bare in mind everyone apart from Nintendo will be losing money on each console sold. And will do for about 5 years.

For the entire life of the nintendo (Nes) most titles were £90 in back then money. Of course the excuse then was cartridges. Prices of games will fall except those with mass appeal like Rockband and Call of Duty which will always be top rate. £90 is unsustainable especially when you can buy 91 tablet or phone games for that price. The cost of development has gone up. Partially due to asset production. Its not quite as bad as animation where you draw each asset by hand but its close. If anything the architecture has got simpler because everyone just uses the unreal engine. I can justify it being £90 but I cant see anyone paying it.

Im surprised people haven't been making 1984 references because its exactly like the tv cameras in the book for more or less the same reasons. Copy protection. But also like removing the start button from Windows 8 it forces the consumer to use the interface and hence become used to the interface. Voice recognition has been around for decades but nobody uses it because it feels awkward. This addresses the larger problem of keyboardless input that everybody is wrestling with. Somehow we can't get a more efficient method of input than typing but we can't make keyboards mobile with any degree of comfort. Something like 90% of mobile phone transactions are left unfinished presumably because the user quit out of frustration of putting in all the necessary information on a smart phone keyboard. Forcing people to finally use voice control sidesteps the issue.

The bandwidth issue is basically a statement of the industry "We need you to have a decent internet connection for this to be financially viable for us to provide you content, if you can't afford uncapped bandwidth you probably can't afford our stuff." Thats fair enough. Its not nice but its a proven business model. And eventually the poorer consumers buy the £90 budget model from a supermarket in 2020 when the next next console is out.

PC gaming has become viable. Its basically all PC gaming through different hypervisors and as I said last week the microsoft controller becoming standard input for gaming has made it more financially viable to take a risk and publish on PC even though for every 1 copy sold 99 will be torrented which hurts console sales since you buy one nice PC and you can play some if not all eventually three consoles games. And not even that nice a PC anymore. My 3 year old studio laptop can play releases from last month.

Games are really expensive. Its not like animation which is also resource heavy but theres another dimension, interactivity, to design and control. Quality Assurance tests for the 360 are $100,000 a round. And thats the no-skill side of the industry. Like animation there already is asset outsourcing to dubious parts of the world like china. And THQ possibly the lowest common denominator IE most viable publisher just went under. Maybe the £40 a title consumers have begrudgingly paid actually too little? Especially considering the cost/hours of entertainment ratio.
global moderator
June 09, 2013, 04:50:40 PM
Activity: 363
Merit: 250
June 09, 2013, 04:44:34 PM
I think i'll pass on this xbox.
June 09, 2013, 04:34:52 PM
£600 for the console and £90 per game (search Xbox One and Call of Duty: Ghosts on amazon.co.uk)

Nty.

That is expensive, but i think it is just the preliminary pricing
June 09, 2013, 04:24:48 PM
Quantum break looks really nice!
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112
June 05, 2013, 01:50:39 PM
£600 for the console and £90 per game (search Xbox One and Call of Duty: Ghosts on amazon.co.uk)

Nty.
legendary
June 04, 2013, 06:56:09 PM
Maybe it's not a mistake and Microsoft are secretly developing some adult gaming for later lolololool Cheesy

A new form of "live cams?" Where you create your own character and then the things you do in RL affect what your character does...

Interesting idea for a sex game...
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
June 04, 2013, 04:01:46 AM
Maybe it's not a mistake and Microsoft are secretly developing some adult gaming for later lolololool Cheesy
legendary
June 04, 2013, 01:35:01 AM
Dude, don't do that again! I just spent 30 minutes hunting an imagine that may, or may not have been what was on your mind after you got inspired by a post to do the exact same thing, but at least you had a keyword pool to resort to.
Ah HA! Found it! It was from back in the day when it was still called "Project Natal." So, please pretend this is actually how it went:

Yeah, I don't like the direction xbox is going. It was a game console, but now they're trying to make it an everything. I already have a computer

EDIT: Kinect is pretty cool, though.
I admit, Kinect is cool. I was really excited when they launched that.

LOL, that's awesome! Now I need to break out my Kinect and see if when I play naked it will mistake my boner for being an arm or something...
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
June 04, 2013, 01:26:16 AM
Dude, don't do that again! I just spent 30 minutes hunting an imagine that may, or may not have been what was on your mind after you got inspired by a post to do the exact same thing, but at least you had a keyword pool to resort to.
Ah HA! Found it! It was from back in the day when it was still called "Project Natal." So, please pretend this is actually how it went:

Yeah, I don't like the direction xbox is going. It was a game console, but now they're trying to make it an everything. I already have a computer

EDIT: Kinect is pretty cool, though.
I admit, Kinect is cool. I was really excited when they launched that.

Pages:
Jump to: