Pages:
Author

Topic: Xbox One - page 3. (Read 6698 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
June 17, 2013, 10:55:43 AM
What will more likely with consoles like the Xbox one is that they'll keep it going and keep releasing them as long as they can until finally admitting 10 years later it was a complete failure, or like with Star Wars Galaxies and SOE they'll stay in denial about it until the bitter end.
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1007
June 17, 2013, 10:54:50 AM
By now most people should be planning to get gaming PCs. Its almost like microsoft want to lose their gaming console business.

PC's would be viable as an alternative if there weren't so many exclusives that are only available on the consoles. Unless this changes, gaming will continue being split between all four mediums (we're excluding handhelds here, as they are a separate breed).
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
June 17, 2013, 10:50:43 AM
By now most people should be planning to get gaming PCs. Its almost like microsoft want to lose their gaming console business.
legendary
June 17, 2013, 06:06:43 AM
Xbox One is a flop and will crash and burn as soon as it comes out.

Sadly this isn't going to happen. People will always be Xbox fans and they are going to get the One regardless of what happens. Especially those who are interested in exclusive games.
Backyard rocks will always have more exclusive games than these machines ever will, and there is no easier platform on which to develop and design new releases. Furthermore, games designed with the rock are highly modifiable largely because open-source code is mandatory. Rocks are not effectively regulated or controlled by any entity or multi-gopoly on Earth.

The wild commercial success of so-called "video game platforms" is only one of many reasons the open-source community has always been doomed to obscurity. ... But we can at least fight.

Onward, Luddite arsons!

That is until some rich person comes along and proprietizes them so you can only use certain shapes/sizes for their games, of which you can only obtain through them.

Side-note: apparently "proprietizes" isn't a word? Then what's the term for "making proprietary?"
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1001
Energy is Wealth
June 17, 2013, 04:19:29 AM

Sadly this isn't going to happen. People will always be Xbox fans and they are going to get the One regardless of what happens. Especially those who are interested in exclusive games.
Backyard rocks will always have more exclusive games than these machines ever will, and there is no easier platform on which to develop and design new releases. Furthermore, games designed with the rock are highly modifiable largely because open-source code is mandatory. Rocks are not effectively regulated or controlled by any entity or multi-gopoly on Earth.

The wild commercial success of so-called "video game platforms" is only one of many reasons the open-source community has always been doomed to obscurity. ... But we can at least fight.

Onward, Luddite arsons!
Hero post of this treat
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
June 17, 2013, 03:55:14 AM

Onward, Luddite arsons!

This post is amazing.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
June 17, 2013, 02:53:00 AM

Onward, Luddite arsons!
legendary
June 16, 2013, 03:35:44 AM

Activity: 359
Merit: 250
June 16, 2013, 01:45:13 AM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
June 16, 2013, 01:23:18 AM
Most of the games I play on my PC these days also require me to be online - even for single player (via Steam, Origin, or whatever). Not sure what the difference is?
Oh, man, and do I want to stomp on those assholes who've been releasing always-on DRM in games which end up pirated, anyway. Dumbest shit I think I've ever heard of in any industry - almost as bad as Sony BGM's clusterfuck, except it's turning into "industry practice" with games (as well as productivity software -- and yeah, all major software is cracked no matter how obnoxious the DRM is). Fuck that.

Here are some games I could think of off the top of my head with always-on DRM:
Diablo III (last always-on DRM game I'll ever pay for. Cracked [playable offline], allegedly private servers now, too)
Starcraft II (cracked, LAN & multiplayer through private servers)
SimCity (always-on DRM caused an absolutely horrible launch similar to Diablo III's, and yep - it's cracked, playable offline)
Command & Conquer 4 (cracked, playable offline)
Ubisoft's "bad Uplay experiment" (all cracked afaik -- Ubisoft publicly committed to ceasing use of always-on DRM in their games last year)

So... It prevents pirates from playing the game for a few days, and then they spend a few days downloading, and then.....? Well - yeah, the legitimate customers forever have to put up with servers going down for maintenance, not always having an Internet connection (hello - I exist! In instances where I buy before playing a game, I do frequently end up pirating the game I just bought to get rid of DRM hassles [or back in the day, because I lost the case with the CD key on it]), and sometimes even lag. Lag in a single-player game...  Angry

Even MMO devs have had their server software reverse-engineered, where free private servers are created and often run comparably to the server software made by the company which designed the freakin' game (when SOE converted most of their MMOs into pay-to-wins, free servers ended up offering a far-superior service). MMOs, though, have a much greater piracy-free shelf-life (up to a decade, compared to days with non-MMOs) due to just how much is required to be done. That's not to say private servers are made for pirates, though.

I'll never go back to consoles simply because it's too difficult to pirate their games reliably, and I don't trust corporate developers enough to release games without time-wasting and intrusive DRM schemes. I couldn't even use the Xbone, because I only have a usable Internet connection for maybe half the day (and even then, it's 2-60kb/s). Some of this gen's consoles were very close to being piracy-free, and many have to use old firmware to play pirated games. Incidentally, my first "significant" BTC purchase was a soft-modded Wii. So... Idunno... not even really any reason to be angry -- as a minority (at least in the US) unable to play always-on games, I'm ignored. The minute I "ignore" them to snag a modified copy of the software I can actually use, it's criminal. Go figure.
staff
Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111
June 15, 2013, 09:41:50 PM
That's why I said 'some' Wink. I have never actually played that game. I have heard reviews and they are normally good. I might just look for that on amazon or where ever I can find it.

Oh man, it's awesome. I got into RPG's back in the PSX days because I loved how they had hundreds of hours of actual content, rather than being a 30-45 minute game that you beat and throw down. I started with FF7.

Lost Odyssey is a pretty long game and it's got a lot of humor in it. Well worth playing!

Just ordered it. After watching a video on it, I think I'll enjoy the game. Looking forward to it's arrival. (Means I'm going have to have time off work...just kidding....but I'm going have to find the time for it somewhere).
legendary
June 15, 2013, 01:34:19 PM
That's why I said 'some' Wink. I have never actually played that game. I have heard reviews and they are normally good. I might just look for that on amazon or where ever I can find it.

Oh man, it's awesome. I got into RPG's back in the PSX days because I loved how they had hundreds of hours of actual content, rather than being a 30-45 minute game that you beat and throw down. I started with FF7.

Lost Odyssey is a pretty long game and it's got a lot of humor in it. Well worth playing!
staff
June 15, 2013, 01:24:44 PM
It just shows that capitalisms is on its final leg.

Capitalism is dying because Microsoft did something stupid and everyone decided to by a PS4 instead?

Not really. Capitalism has been failing since the start. Look how messed up the world is.

So, out of interest who is considering buying either one of these consoles? And who is converting to PC instead?

I may get a PS4, though likely not. Definitely won't get a One. I'm already a pretty hardcore PC gamer so no real converting, :p

I've been into PC for years now. But, I have always liked consoles for playing with family & friends around the house. You know have a few beers and play on the xbox/ps3 for a few hours. Or, sometimes we used to have flat out gaming sessions.

Yeah, but next-gen feels like it's killing that. My big selling point of the 360 was the Kinect. That thing is amazing. But the One is completely screwing everything up.

I never got a PS3 btw... not sure why, lol.

I have had experience with Xbox 360, and the whole Playstation franchise. It's strange that I finally converted to Xbox, but that is not because I preferred it, it's because of the amount of my friends who were on it. To be quite honest, I think they are both the same. They both have their faults but no comparison to the Xbox One. The Ps3 has always ran faster and lasted longer for me. Hey, I still have my phat ps3, which I bought 3 days after release. Still running fast and smooth. I mainly like Ps3 because of it's OS, I Linux. Xbox has always had a bigger fan base, mainly due to the amount of people that use microsoft, as microsoft is the leading OS for regular computer users. People like to stick to what they got, people don't like change.

Personally, I didn't like the look of the Kinect, Now that I have heard that the microphone and cam will always be on, WHAT? That's a privacy concern isn't? I think microsoft is trusted, but I don't know...One thing I really used to like about the Xbox is the controllers, they are very tough and durable, unlike the ps3's.
I tend to squeeze quite hard whilst playing on the console (Don't know why, PC I don't squeeze mouse).
I have gone through around 3 extra Ps3 controllers, which weren't cheap at the time.

But, PC is the way to go. Hey, some people say "Once you go PC, you'll never go back".

I never got a PS3 either, its always been 360. I will be playing most games on PC now, but will probably eventually get a PS4.

If I get a next-gen (I really don't think I will though) it will have to be a PS4. The only alternative for me is the Wii-U, which is too Wii-like for me. It's like a glorified Dreamcast.

If I had to choose, it would be the Ps4. I might yet get it, but may wait a while for the price to drop and to hear reviews.

"Once you go PC, you'll never go back" isn't always true though. On the 360, my favorite game by far was Lost Odyssey. That's an example of a quality game you just can't get on PC. And it sucks because I'd love to be able to play all the good next-gen games on PC, Sad.

legendary
June 15, 2013, 01:22:53 PM

Capitalism is dying because Microsoft did something stupid and everyone decided to by a PS4 instead?

Not really. Capitalism has been failing since the start. Look how messed up the world is.

So, out of interest who is considering buying either one of these consoles? And who is converting to PC instead?

I may get a PS4, though likely not. Definitely won't get a One. I'm already a pretty hardcore PC gamer so no real converting, :p

I've been into PC for years now. But, I have always liked consoles for playing with family & friends around the house. You know have a few beers and play on the xbox/ps3 for a few hours. Or, sometimes we used to have flat out gaming sessions.

Yeah, but next-gen feels like it's killing that. My big selling point of the 360 was the Kinect. That thing is amazing. But the One is completely screwing everything up.

I have had experience with Xbox 360, and the whole Playstation franchise. It's strange that I finally converted to Xbox, but that is not because I preferred it, it's because of the amount of my friends who were on it. To be quite honest, I think they are both the same. They both have their faults but no comparison to the Xbox One. The Ps3 has always ran faster and lasted longer for me. Hey, I still have my phat ps3, which I bought 3 days after release. Still running fast and smooth. I mainly like Ps3 because of it's OS, I Linux. Xbox has always had a bigger fan base, mainly due to the amount of people that use microsoft, as microsoft is the leading OS for regular computer users. People like to stick to what they got, people don't like change.

Personally, I didn't like the look of the Kinect, Now that I have heard that the microphone and cam will always be on, WHAT? That's a privacy concern isn't? I think microsoft is trusted, but I don't know...One thing I really used to like about the Xbox is the controllers, they are very tough and durable, unlike the ps3's.
I tend to squeeze quite hard whilst playing on the console (Don't know why, PC I don't squeeze mouse).
I have gone through around 3 extra Ps3 controllers, which weren't cheap at the time.

But, PC is the way to go. Hey, some people say "Once you go PC, you'll never go back".

I never got a PS3 either, its always been 360. I will be playing most games on PC now, but will probably eventually get a PS4.

If I get a next-gen (I really don't think I will though) it will have to be a PS4. The only alternative for me is the Wii-U, which is too Wii-like for me. It's like a glorified Dreamcast.

If I had to choose, it would be the Ps4. I might yet get it, but may wait a while for the price to drop and to hear reviews.

"Once you go PC, you'll never go back" isn't always true though. On the 360, my favorite game by far was Lost Odyssey. That's an example of a quality game you just can't get on PC. And it sucks because I'd love to be able to play all the good next-gen games on PC, Sad.
staff
June 15, 2013, 01:18:27 PM

legendary
June 15, 2013, 01:18:08 PM

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
June 15, 2013, 01:10:55 PM
legendary
June 15, 2013, 01:07:46 PM

staff
June 15, 2013, 01:03:21 PM

legendary
June 15, 2013, 12:58:40 PM

Pages:
Jump to: