Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1414. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 119
Merit: 10
Hi to all!

I've read latest monero missive and some recent posts... I see no serious conceptual problems to Monero. It develops, may be a bit slowly, but there were reasons for that. Now, Monero is on the right rails, is not it?

From the other hand, I observe quite deep depression of XMR/BTC exchange rate on Poloniex. Also I observe deep depression of BTC/USD itself on BTC-e.

How do you think, guys, do both that depressions have the same reason? Or they are independent? Are they just speculations? Or there are fundamental problems I 've omitted from sight?

The Monero Speculation thread is a better place for this. Not saying it is necessarily off topic here, but the people active on that thread will likely have more interesting things to say in response.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-speculation-753252

Thank you very much. I did not know about that very interesting thread.
Activity: 826
Merit: 500

I have an alternate hypothesis for (b), which is that BCX's crypto-expert contact told him they had found some possible flaws in the Monero code, then his ego took that and ran with it. Does fit in with most of his previous "coin killing" exploits and its then perfect material for all the anti-Monero posters, whereby the magic of the BCX effect turns an unsubstantiated exploit claim into a verified doomsday device.

If this is the case, good job to whoever baited him.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
I never said I was leaving, just that in 2 days I would be back.

Like a lingering bad smell. The putrid stench of rotten advice coming from the fetid mind of a spiteful man.

LOL, people should be taking your advice???

The only advice I have to offer is that people shouldn't blindly trust unsubstantiated and unproven internet rumours, and should do their own due diligence and make their own assessment of risk. Whereas your advice seems to be 'OMG SOME BAD STUFF GOING DOWN, DUMP MONERO AND BUY STEALTHCOIN'.

I wonder which of those two pieces of advice an impartial external party would consider to be the most sensible?

StealthCoin? I thought he was Cloakcoin shill?
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hi all,

I spent a few hours doing some research on BitcoinEXpress yesterday and posted my results here - https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoinexpress-self-made-legend-790462

I could only find evidence that BCX was hired to demonstrate a GeistGeld flaw back in 2011, and had a genuine exploit for the Aurora KGW difficulty algo, but maybe someone else will find some evidence of these other coins he has apparently "killed".

From the available facts I can only reach two possible conclusions:

a) BCX is operating alone, in which case there is no exploit as he doesnt have the necessary skills, so this is just self promotion and market manipulation.

b) BCX is fronting for another person/people, who may think they have found an exploit. If it did indeed allow them to steal money from private wallets this seems to be a strange way of profiting from it - publicizing the threat in advance.

I have an alternate hypothesis for (b), which is that BCX's crypto-expert contact told him they had found some possible flaws in the Monero code, then his ego took that and ran with it. Does fit in with most of his previous "coin killing" exploits and its then perfect material for all the anti-Monero posters, whereby the magic of the BCX effect turns an unsubstantiated exploit claim into a verified doomsday device.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
MEW - Monero Economy Workgroup communication

A taskforce is set up to address the issue of a possible "BCX exploit", and an ultimatum by BCX to find and fix it in 72 hours lest a serious attack is launched upon Monero.

The taskforce consists of several Monero developers, AnonyMint, CZ, jl777 and me.

There are differing opinions in the taskforce concerning the severity of the threat. No coinkiller is yet found and several avenues are probed. The members who have technical competence are talking about their views themselves.

Regardless of the outcome in the technical side, this is a serious economic attack on Monero - about 15% of the pre-ultimatum value is lost, and there is a great information asymmetry plaguing traders currently. It is notable that nobody has offered to borrow XMR for shorting (which I could provide against full guarantee deposit of BTC). Neither has anyone bought the PUT options. This means that the downside speculation has so far been limited to selling out from a trader's own stash. An economically motivated player who knows for sure about a lethal attack might decide to take leverage for personal gain.

I believe that the Monero devs are up to their task and can mitigate the potential exploit, and fix the code in preparation of the announced attack. I further believe that Monero will rise even stronger. Since I am not in possession of any knowledge that indicates that a realistic attack could take place, I can only estimate the probability that it exists unnoticed, and my estimate is 4-8%.

The MEW will be inaugurated on Tuesday, and also the devteam has important announcements (not related to the attack). Provided that our coin still exists, I am sure we have a great future ahead of us as a community with these new methods of organizing our activities for the mutual benefit.

Quoting for info
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Hi to all!

I've read latest monero missive and some recent posts... I see no serious conceptual problems to Monero. It develops, may be a bit slowly, but there were reasons for that. Now, Monero is on the right rails, is not it?

From the other hand, I observe quite deep depression of XMR/BTC exchange rate on Poloniex. Also I observe deep depression of BTC/USD itself on BTC-e.

How do you think, guys, do both that depressions have the same reason? Or they are independent? Are they just speculations? Or there are fundamental problems I 've omitted from sight?

The Monero Speculation thread is a better place for this. Not saying it is necessarily off topic here, but the people active on that thread will likely have more interesting things to say in response.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-speculation-753252

Activity: 644
Merit: 502
Hi to all!

I would file this under Rhetorical.

Too many variables.  I could ramble, maybe others will provide good insight, but the scope of your questions is just too great to be answered with any decency right here & now, imho.
Activity: 119
Hi to all!

legendary
You can't argue logically with shills (and expect to get anywhere). They're just doing their job.

This is a very true point. I'm not really expecting to make any headway with people who have their opinions set in stone (due to allegiances with competing cryptocurrencies, due to paid shilling, or just misplaced hate & vitriol). It's more to provide some counterbalance for the sake of other, rational people who may be reading this thread.

Fair point, and thank you for your well thought out responses to that end.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

You can't argue logically with shills (and expect to get anywhere). They're just doing their job.

True, that.  Still, unless they are addressed, the naive may take them seriously.  Unfortunately many lose their temper/humor due to the constant drip, drip, drip.
legendary
I will pay 1 XMR for each troll scalp delivered to my private office in NYC.

I don't think there are enough xmr out there.

I'm more concerned about the plastic smell.
legendary
Ring signature and multiple one-time addresses is a good solution to a complete anonymity. But how scalable is it? After a certain amount of users and transactions it should be increasingly hard for the system to deal with all these complicated inputs and outputs. Should it be a problem after a certain level of user adoption?

From the Moore's law perspective CN is shouldn't face any significant problems. However, if network growth would absolutely sky-rocket this might pose a threat to the system. There are some bypasses in this case, which can be tested.

Ring signatures have a cost.  The benefit is provable, well-defined privacy.  Other schemes for provable, well-defined privacy pay even larger costs.  Ring signatures remain the only provable, well-defined privacy assurance available with present cryptographic technology which offers the level of usability which is achievable with ring signatures.  Other schemes make trade-offs which reduce significant usability factors.  Among those are size of the blockchain, transaction latency, and bandwidth consumption.

If you find something better, please bring it to my attention.  Thanks.
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
You might wanna do some research on me before you start calling me out.

Just a thought.

This post could be a good starting point for such research:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/anndash-dash-dashorg-first-self-funding-self-governing-crypto-currency-421615
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?
I bought into XMR for security reason. These guys can't keep my money safe from themselves. Fuck it.  Stealthcoin it is then and thank god there's still time.

Did somebody put up a bounty for trolls from other coins?

I don't think there are enough xmr out there.
legendary
I bought into XMR for security reason. These guys can't keep my money safe from themselves. Fuck it.  Stealthcoin it is then and thank god there's still time.

Did somebody put up a bounty for trolls from other coins?

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

Like a lingering bad smell. The putrid stench of rotten advice coming from the fetid mind of a spiteful man.

Maybe they should take yours..............

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/monthly-membership-scam-beware-of-scammer-bobsurplus-730880

Activity: 33
Merit: 0
Why did the price go down so suddenly?

Some dude is going to destroy XMR forever within 72 hours, at least he says so. Meanwhile people got scared an dump like there's no tomorrow.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/delete-789978

edit: i hold btw, more trust in devs than in ruthless FUDsters.

I think all that attack bullshit is nothing else but an elaborate FUD to lower the XMR price in order to buy it cheaply.
Activity: 87

This is a very true point. I'm not really expecting to make any headway with people who have their opinions set in stone (due to allegiances with competing cryptocurrencies, due to paid shilling, or just misplaced hate & vitriol). It's more to provide some counterbalance for the sake of other, rational people who may be reading this thread.
Activity: 87

The only advice I have to offer is that people shouldn't blindly trust unsubstantiated and unproven internet rumours, and should do their own due diligence and make their own assessment of risk. Whereas your advice seems to be 'OMG SOME BAD STUFF GOING DOWN, DUMP MONERO AND BUY STEALTHCOIN'.

I wonder which of those two pieces of advice an impartial external party would consider to be the most sensible?
legendary
Chandran signatures achieve space savings by including non-interactive witness-indistinguishable (NIWI) proofs in the signature. These proofs commit to only a subset of the complete multisignature, requiring storage for just the subset.

This is why XST > XMR - we going to see Visa like transaction volume on XST - XMR going to crash and burn like 9600 baud rate dial up modem

Did you miss the part where one of the developers said it's entirely possible for Monero to integrate Chandran signatures at some point in the future, if they deem it to be worthwhile? And also the part where Chandran signatures only offer space savings vs the ring-sig implementation in XMR for TX's with extreme high mixin values.

Jump to: