Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1518. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
It's overwhelmingly logical and rational to estimate that the 1001th raven would be black, given that the previous 1000 were.

However, there is still a chance that the 1001 raven would Not be black, though the odds are 1000 to 1.
the idea is that you cannot conclude (in terms of theoretical logic) from observations - let us not get it too far. but it is important to see the difference to a set of assumptions that says george is a raven; all ravens are black, george is black.

All altcoins are black. Then I see an altcoin that is not black. Do I trust the accumulated wisdom, or my own eyes?

Trusting accumulated wisdom is the reason many people still work, even though they could have bought bitcoins in 2010.

Many bitcoiners don't even need to look to conclude that all altcoins are black.

Set that is a good reason to buy this altcoin Smiley (given that you abstracted away the actual reasons why XMR is not "black" here but alas)
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
It's overwhelmingly logical and rational to estimate that the 1001th raven would be black, given that the previous 1000 were.

However, there is still a chance that the 1001 raven would Not be black, though the odds are 1000 to 1.
the idea is that you cannot conclude (in terms of theoretical logic) from observations - let us not get it too far. but it is important to see the difference to a set of assumptions that says george is a raven; all ravens are black, george is black.

All altcoins are black. Then I see an altcoin that is not black. Do I trust the accumulated wisdom, or my own eyes?

Trusting accumulated wisdom is the reason many people still work, even though they could have bought bitcoins in 2010.

Many bitcoiners don't even need to look to conclude that all altcoins are black.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100

The risk of not holding monero is infinitely bigger than that of holding it.

With not holding, you can lose a sum equal to 1000x your net worth.

With holding, you can maximum lose the amount invested.

Sounds like Pascal's wager. That can never be the reason to do it.

I may be strange in that it seems perfectly valid to me. I pay taxes, because by paying, I lose only the sum invested, but by not paying, I risk unforeseen consequences. With Monero there is at least some upside, unlike in paying taxes which is a genuine lose-lose...

Yes, but the same is true for any other altcoin (even the most junky ones),

take the following assumption:
1.) you cannot invest
2.) you can buy a basket which is filled in an equal distribution with the top200 decentralized currencies

what would you do?

the same is true for the existence of any god. This is just not how logic works though.

even following the wikipedia article - pascals wager is not a proof of god - I always understood it that way: even if there is a tiny possibility for an infinite outcome, it is rational to take the bet . I see nothing wrong with that.

If I follow your idea correctly you say that if you observe 1000 ravens, and they are all black you can neither conclude that all ravens are black nor can you conclude that the next observed raven is black. This is obviously true; but don't you think you can at least partially conclude that the next raven is black?

To come back to xmr and I usually do not take much out of ristos predictions: but what he is essentially saying is that he has observed 1000 ravens which were all black, and xmr is the 1001 he is seeing; his estimation of the likelyhood that this raven is being black is quite high.

To come back to xmr and I usually do not take much out of ristos predictions: but what he is essentially saying is that he has observed 1000 ravens which were all black, and xmr is the 1001 he is seeing; his estimation of the likelyhood that this raven is being black is quite high.
[/quote]In regards to Risto's predictions:
Could'nt it also mean that Risto has observed 1000 ravens which were all black and xmr is the 2nd raven (after btc) he is seeing that is not black (he's said that he has invested in these 2 only)?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Can anyone on the dev team confirm (Sorry eizh, not sure who all is the "Full" dev team so my apologies if you are on it!)

Official team (which of course includes eizh) is listed on the first post of this thread:

Who are you?
See Monero Missives #1: "(in no particular order) - tacotime, eizh, smooth, fluffypony, othe, davidlatapie, NoodleDoodle

Activity: 560
Merit: 500
Since some of the Bytecoin/CryptoNote devs seem to have been scammers, how can we trust that the elliptic curve constants in Monero were not chosen maliciously? If they were chosen maliciously, could that be determined somehow? Should a new curve be chosen, just in case?

I'm not a cryptographer, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

It's not a new curve. The curve is Ed25519, invented by Dan Bernstein, who's also the inventor of the popular Curve25519 (which is the ECDSA version). The rationale for it is given in page 7-8 here: http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/ed25519-20110926.pdf

Shit for real? I ran Dan's Qmail Email software for like 10 years back in the day, plus a bunch of his other stuff like dns etc... that's awesome if true, he is very trustworthy and very much old school. Can anyone on the dev team confirm (Sorry eizh, not sure who all is the "Full" dev team so my apologies if you are on it!)

Thanks again, this coin amazes me more every day. Smiley

LOL i just realized. I should have just asked "Is it true?" ... Cheesy

Yes, I'm part of the XMR team. The parameters are in the whitepaper (4.2.1) but you can check for yourself that crypto-ops.h and crypto-ops.c in Monero are actually consolidated from Bernstein's library NaCl: https://github.com/jedisct1/libsodium/tree/master/src/libsodium/crypto_sign/ed25519/ref10
Activity: 263
Merit: 250

Nonprobabilistic models are not particularly useful in the physical world.

1001:1 always use Laplace smoothing.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Since some of the Bytecoin/CryptoNote devs seem to have been scammers, how can we trust that the elliptic curve constants in Monero were not chosen maliciously? If they were chosen maliciously, could that be determined somehow? Should a new curve be chosen, just in case?

It's not a new curve. The curve is Ed25519, invented by Dan Bernstein, who's also the inventor of the popular Curve25519 (which is the ECDSA version). The rationale for it is given in page 7-8 here: http://ed25519.cr.yp.to/ed25519-20110926.pdf

Shit for real? I ran Dan's Qmail Email software for like 10 years back in the day, plus a bunch of his other stuff like dns etc... that's awesome if true, he is very trustworthy and very much old school. Can anyone on the dev team confirm (Sorry eizh, not sure who all is the "Full" dev team so my apologies if you are on it!)

Thanks again, this coin amazes me more every day. Smiley

LOL i just realized. I should have just asked "Is it true?" ... Cheesy
Activity: 742
Let's say there were originally 10 black ravens, and you concluded that every new raven would Not be black, you would be wrong upto the point of there being 1,000 ravens(990 after the original 10 or 990 times you were wrong). To continue concluding that the next raven would Not be black would mean that you're insane in Einstein's definition of the word.

Activity: 560

legendary

LMFAO... brilliant even tho i'm too in me sauce now to keep up with these maths peoples!! Cheesy 
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Activity: 504
eidoo wallet

I may be strange in that it seems perfectly valid to me. I pay taxes, because by paying, I lose only the sum invested, but by not paying, I risk unforeseen consequences. With Monero there is at least some upside, unlike in paying taxes which is a genuine lose-lose...

1.) you cannot invest
2.) you can buy a basket which is filled in an equal distribution with the top200 decentralized currencies

what would you do?

the same is true for the existence of any god. This is just not how logic works though.

even following the wikipedia article - pascals wager is not a proof of god - I always understood it that way: even if there is a tiny possibility for an infinite outcome, it is rational to take the bet . I see nothing wrong with that.

If I follow your idea correctly you say that if you observe 1000 ravens, and they are all black you can neither conclude that all ravens are black nor can you conclude that the next observed raven is black. This is obviously true; but don't you think you can at least partially conclude that the next raven is black?

"If I follow your idea correctly you say that if you observe 1000 ravens, and they are all black you can neither conclude that all ravens are black nor can you conclude that the next observed raven is black. This is obviously true; but don't you think you can at least partially conclude that the next raven is black?"

Let's say there were originally 10 black ravens, and you concluded that every new raven would Not be black, you would be wrong upto the point of there being 1,000 ravens(990 after the original 10 or 990 times you were wrong). To continue concluding that the next raven would Not be black would mean that you're insane in Einstein's definition of the word.

Activity: 742

1.) you cannot invest

what would you do?

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Hi. I have read about that as well, as i've read all the whitepapers and the phony bcn premine based on rethink-your-strategy's epic post about it etc, but I keep forgetting to ask any devs here. Fluffy, smooth, taco.. can anyone elaborate on your mathematician's review of the code in that regard to constants from nowhere? they seem very wary about those constants and why they were chosen etc.

i do know some C, but i'm old/rusty, so i never looked at any of the code based on the fact that i heard it was an absolute mess to undo.

thank you! Smiley

The cryptography primitives are being carefully reviewed right now. Reviewing the cryptography code was the next planned step after reviewing the white paper.

We have not discovered anything dangerous, yet, but we are still looking.
legendary

Hi. I have read about that as well, as i've read all the whitepapers and the phony bcn premine based on rethink-your-strategy's epic post about it etc, but I keep forgetting to ask any devs here. Fluffy, smooth, taco.. can anyone elaborate on your mathematician's review of the code in that regard to constants from nowhere, or what you think/are planning/whatever/to do about it? they seem very wary about those constants and why they were chosen, like suggesting maybe NSA etc.

i do know some C, but i'm old/rusty, so i never looked at any of the code based on the fact that i heard it was an absolute mess to undo.

thank you! Smiley
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
@statdude:
Do you think you could also post the relative % of the emitted coins that is represented in your stats? Think it would just be interesting to learn what percentage of the monero currently in circulation is being represented/stated by people filling the form.

Cheers,
~ Myagui

+1

That would be a great feature  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
@statdude:
Do you think you could also post the relative % of the emitted coins that is represented in your stats? Think it would just be interesting to learn what percentage of the monero currently in circulation is being represented/stated by people filling the form.

Cheers,
~ Myagui
Jump to: