Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1519. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Median by month (starting April): 6851,3049,5135,1478,524
Count by month (starting April): 19,28,28,17,9
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Update:

Survey Link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10FFq_viVaY_THsToPNEwgTxrBSGVxW1EzeYPHX_2nuQ/viewform?usp=send_form

Count     119
Average   7,935
Median   2,080

New Update:
Count    139
Average 7,554
Median 1,500

Thanks Risto, i missed the survey earlier but just added myself. thanks again for all you do here! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Update:

Survey Link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10FFq_viVaY_THsToPNEwgTxrBSGVxW1EzeYPHX_2nuQ/viewform?usp=send_form

Count     119
Average   7,935
Median   2,080

New Update:
Count    139
Average 7,554
Median 1,500

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?

LFMAO... nah man, i'm good. i'm not out to get rich quick here, im in it to win it, done with alt/scam coins. and i am definitely not buying anything named Fckbanks... fck me!? Cheesy

Did even one person "invest" in that coin?  Oh well, I guess if you look at it one way, a person could benefit from the endless sea of shitcoins in that they more effectively hide gems like XMR at first so that early adopters who know what to look for can buy large amounts for cheap early on.  Cheesy
legendary
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager It's one of the most famous examples of incorrectly applied logic.

Ah.. thanks, makes sense now. Even though i'm an atheist and don't believe in either, i get it. but still. I'm with Risto on this one, guess i'm nuts too. time will tell and maybe you can come back someday and say "Hey yo, i was right, and you ignored me!" ... Cheesy

How could I say that? I'm not saying Monero is bad. I'm saying this specific reasoning is wrong.

I'm sorry, that is exactly what i meant, i was not clear, it was not about monero, but about Pascal's wager and the reasoning/logic etc.  thanks again for the link, very good stuff, never heard of it before. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2534
Merit: 1129

The risk of not holding monero is infinitely bigger than that of holding it.

With not holding, you can lose a sum equal to 1000x your net worth.

With holding, you can maximum lose the amount invested.

Sounds like Pascal's wager. That can never be the reason to do it.

I may be strange in that it seems perfectly valid to me. I pay taxes, because by paying, I lose only the sum invested, but by not paying, I risk unforeseen consequences. With Monero there is at least some upside, unlike in paying taxes which is a genuine lose-lose...

The same is true of many alternative cryptocurrencies. Whilst there are a lot of hopeless ones, you can never tell what circumstances will lead to a winner. Some great ideas just fail for reasons beyond their control, or from competition and changing conditions. Naturally everyone thinks theirs is the best, and very few people have done proper investigation of all coins.

So therefore, I believe , to truly mitigate that risk, you need to hold 50+ different altcoins, carefully researched and selected. That dilutes the ROI a bit.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal%27s_Wager It's one of the most famous examples of incorrectly applied logic.

Ah.. thanks, makes sense now. Even though i'm an atheist and don't believe in either, i get it. but still. I'm with Risto on this one, guess i'm nuts too. time will tell and maybe you can come back someday and say "Hey yo, i was right, and you ignored me!" ... Cheesy

How could I say that? I'm not saying Monero is bad. I'm saying this specific reasoning is wrong.
legendary

legendary

I may be strange in that it seems perfectly valid to me. I pay taxes, because by paying, I lose only the sum invested, but by not paying, I risk unforeseen consequences. With Monero there is at least some upside, unlike in paying taxes which is a genuine lose-lose...

Yes, but the same is true for any other altcoin (even the most junky ones), the same is true for the existence of any god. This is just not how logic works though.

Mind that Bitcoin and Monero are the only cryptocurrencies I currently hold.

Disclaimer - I only hold Bitcoin and Monero as well. Seems to be common around here for some reason.. Smiley

Thanks!

Not holding Fckbanks coin?  Sheesh.  It's like you don't want to make money bro.  Going to miss the train!

Lol that name. At least spell fuck properly for fck's sake Wink

LFMAO... nah man, i'm good. i'm not out to get rich quick here, im in it to win it, done with alt/scam coins. and i am definitely not buying anything named Fckbanks... fck me!? Cheesy
legendary

Yes, but the same is true for any other altcoin (even the most junky ones), the same is true for the existence of any god. This is just not how logic works though.

Disclaimer - I only hold Bitcoin and Monero as well. Seems to be common around here for some reason.. Smiley

Thanks!

Not holding Fckbanks coin?  Sheesh.  It's like you don't want to make money bro.  Going to miss the train!

Lol that name. At least spell fuck properly for fck's sake Wink
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?

Thanks!

legendary

I like this conversation!  Can you elaborate on how "This is just not how logic works though"?

edit - I don't believe in god, so i can't relate to that argument at all, and i don't believe most if not all alt-coins have any chances against either btc or xmr right now, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks!

legendary

I like this conversation!  Can you elaborate on how "This is just not how logic works though"?

edit - I don't believe in god, so i can't relate to that argument at all, and i don't believe most if not all alt-coins have any chances against either btc or xmr right now, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks!

legendary

Awesome analogy Risto, i hadn't thought of that way until now, but i agree 100%. (Well, unless you've been tax dodging for years and are looking at time in federal prison or something crazy)! Cheesy
legendary

legendary
GUI wallet talk = beatdown of a deceased equine

+100 , omg, so sick of it... Here's the deal people - If you are afraid or not technically smart enough to understand or use "simplewallet.exe"'s EXTREMELY SIMPLE CLI interface, then XMR "may" not be right for you at present time.

If that is the case, but you still wish to use the coin, go use the official unofficial guis.

Or, simply... just go.

- peace out! Smiley
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

legendary

i would not say it's "horrifically user unfriendly", but it's not like most wallets for sure - I'm sorry that most people today are petrified/scared/turned off by CLI, but as an old school dude, i love it to be honest. i don't care about the gui wallet, it will just inflate the price once it comes, making them harder/more expensive to buy.

Unfortunately the fact that you have that view makes you unsuitable to comment on the user friendliness required for a successful coin. Think about the process of using CoinBase to buy and sell and send BTCs. Then compare that to Monero's process.

Monero needs to have that level of simplicity and elegance for ease of use in order to get the non technical masses to adopt. No one other than technical geeks is going to be even attempting to use a command line. And that population is about 1% or less of the potential base.

I think everyone on here pretty much understands this at this point. Design for Grandma and you win. Design for Linus Torvalds and you lose.

The good news is that the new GUI looks excellent, and will be a nice step forward. The pace of development in other areas like the database, etc... is horribly slow though, so it remains to be seen whether some other BCN clone or other coin ends up leapfrogging XMR and winning in the marketplace. The hard part with new paradigms is that the best technology doesn't always win. Its the one that is "good enough" and gets the most attention/network effect that will win.

Ok, i can take that bit of criticism no problem, and I guess you have a valid point there, i may not be the best to evaluate that part, but again, I disagree with the "Horrifically user unfriendly" part - Why?? 1 reason - if that were truly the case, this coin would have been DOA, but.. it's... not... so... ... meh, sorry.. you get my point i think.  

The wallet will come. until then. I'll continue to feel "Smart" because i can type in a dos box and move thousands of dollars around quite easily and safely ... (LMFAO at sock puppet #2 below your post .. good grief)... Wink
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Me and my Misses are missing the Missive. Smiley Smiley

We are however patient. Cool Cool
Jump to: