Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1629. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 445
Merit: 255
Hi guys!
I got acquainted to use bitcoins and to trade them at different exchanges. But I see, XMR is growing up for now. So I would like to use this currency.
I'm not a tech guru, so I have some problems.
While using Bitcoins, I got acquainted to Blockchain wallet. Sure, it doesn't support XMR. So I had to create a new one.
So, I read getting started: http://monero.cc/getting-started/#wallet
And looked through this thread. Sorry it is too big to go through all of it.
In getting started is written:
Create a wallet with this command line.
cd ~/bitmonero/build/release/src && ./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet wallet.bin

I'm trying, but nothing goes.

That's why I registered on this forum board. I use Win8. Thank you. Help me to start with XMR, please.
These commands are for linux (unix syntax). You can do the dos equivalent : see the tutorial : https://monerotalk.org/t/bounty-create-a-useful-tutorial-on-how-to-setup-monero-closed/13/4

My opinion : for windows, you should use one gui wallet (qt or .net), with embedded wallet.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
Hi guys!
I got acquainted to use bitcoins and to trade them at different exchanges. But I see, XMR is growing up for now. So I would like to use this currency.
I'm not a tech guru, so I have some problems.
While using Bitcoins, I got acquainted to Blockchain wallet. Sure, it doesn't support XMR. So I had to create a new one.
So, I read getting started: http://monero.cc/getting-started/#wallet
And looked through this thread. Sorry it is too big to go through all of it.
In getting started is written:
Create a wallet with this command line.
cd ~/bitmonero/build/release/src && ./simplewallet --generate-new-wallet wallet.bin

I'm trying, but nothing goes.

That's why I registered on this forum board. I use Win8. Thank you. Help me to start with XMR, please.
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Ain't there any Linux 32 bit wallet? I couldn't find one.
Kindly,
       MZ
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Admin of DwarfPool.com
Need help here. I can't run the new rpcwallet from here https://github.com/Neozaru/bitmonero/tree/integ after I started bitmonerod

Initializing RPC server
Binding on 127.0.0.1:18080
abstract_tcp_server2.inl:468 Exception at [boosted_tcp_server::init_server], what=bind: Address already in use
http_server_impl_base.h:68 Failed to bind server
wallet_rpc_server.cpp:617 Failed to initialize wallet rpc server

Also, is there a list of RPC commands for simplewallet or rpcwallet?
Check what is started on this port:
Code:
netstat -ntp | grep  18080
Activity: 301
Merit: 250
I wish i bought more coins when it was under 30. Still holding strong. Lets go XMR!
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Need help here. I can't run the new rpcwallet from here https://github.com/Neozaru/bitmonero/tree/integ after I started bitmonerod

Initializing RPC server
Binding on 127.0.0.1:18080
abstract_tcp_server2.inl:468 Exception at [boosted_tcp_server::init_server], what=bind: Address already in use
http_server_impl_base.h:68 Failed to bind server
wallet_rpc_server.cpp:617 Failed to initialize wallet rpc server

Also, is there a list of RPC commands for simplewallet or rpcwallet?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
Why is the coin suddenly rebounding back today ?

Because of the news. Didn't you read the news? The market only ever moves on the news.

/thread

lol, no didn't hear the news... what happened? I have been mining for like the last month or so... All I know is the price went down to 250k satoshi then I thought might need to mine something else but couldn't be arsed moving my miners so kept at it and i was like wtf... price rebounded... I am holding almost 500 XMR so hopefully its worthwhile

Guess the sarcasm flew right over your head  Grin

Price was low, demand increased, price went up, simple.

lol... thing is, what increased the demand?

best anon solution so far + nice launch; no instamine/premine; full pow; biggest cryptonote project; isn't that good enough ?

And a name that actually sounds like money, unlike most of other joke names.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500

Because of the news. Didn't you read the news? The market only ever moves on the news.

/thread

lol, no didn't hear the news... what happened? I have been mining for like the last month or so... All I know is the price went down to 250k satoshi then I thought might need to mine something else but couldn't be arsed moving my miners so kept at it and i was like wtf... price rebounded... I am holding almost 500 XMR so hopefully its worthwhile

best anon solution so far + nice launch; no instamine/premine; full pow; biggest cryptonote project; isn't that good enough ?
Activity: 798

/thread

A number of factors, good progress being made to the core code. David did a great interview where he hinted at the redesigned wesbite and the much anticipated official gui. The price was generally very low and the sell side had almost dried up in terms of asks. Some of the bigger player wanted a bigger stash. Etc etc
Activity: 364

/thread

/thread

Activity: 364

/thread

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Seems like a lot of metadata especially for something without a database. But I guess since the current blockchain storage is being replaced it doesn't matter much.

The biggest culprit is the key image index, which is necessary to prevent double-spend attempts. It's somewhat solvable through normalisation, we'll see how it goes once the database abstraction stuff is complete.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
as the charts on monerochain.info can be misleading.

That is a good question. Why do the numbers on monerochain.info differ so much from yours? Is that site calculating chain size in some unusual or incorrect way?

"The total size of all block headers and transactions, not including database indexes." is what is recorded on monerochain.info.

Recording the actual chain size I feel is much more productive.

Wouldn't "block headers and transactions" equal the chain size? What else is there?

I presumed it was to do with database indexes as it states thats not included though it did puzzle me as currently we aren't implementing a database. Will ask in IRC for a definitive answer.

EDIT:

<@fluffypony> dreamspark: they're showing the cumulative total of actual blocks
<@fluffypony> ignoring metadata etc.
<@fluffypony> same as the chart on blockchain.info vs. the actual Bitcoin blockchain size on disk

Seems like a lot of metadata especially for something without a database. But I guess since the current blockchain storage is being replaced it doesn't matter much.

That is a good question. Why do the numbers on monerochain.info differ so much from yours? Is that site calculating chain size in some unusual or incorrect way?

"The total size of all block headers and transactions, not including database indexes." is what is recorded on monerochain.info.

Wouldn't "block headers and transactions" equal the chain size? What else is there?

I presumed it was to do with database indexes as it states thats not included though it did puzzle me as currently we aren't implementing a database. Will ask in IRC for a definitive answer.

EDIT:

<@fluffypony> dreamspark: they're showing the cumulative total of actual blocks
<@fluffypony> ignoring metadata etc.
<@fluffypony> same as the chart on blockchain.info vs. the actual Bitcoin blockchain size on disk
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Jump to: