Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1663. (Read 4670614 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
Also it looks like there is a ton of pool hopping going on because most of the pools are PROP. PPLNS would help this...
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
To which address should I send some of my XMR?

The donation addresses are in the OP:

Donations for general development

XMR:
Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em
viewkey: e422831985c9205238ef84daf6805526c14d96fd7b059fe68c7ab98e495e5703

BTC:
Code:
1FhnVJi2V1k4MqXm2nHoEbY5LV7FPai7bb
Done!
Wow, it went through fast!  Is XMR designed to be faster than BTC for basic transactions such as this one?

XMR currently has one minute confirmations, which means initial confirmations will go through very quickly, but more confirmations are needed for a high level of security (for example, some of the current exchanges require >15 confirmations to release funds for XMR while 6 is standard for BTC and some sites will accept 3 or maybe less).

Got it.  And how does XMR compare with BTC on a per confirmation basis?  Could sweat it took much longer that one minute per confirmation when I transferred BTC between exchanges recently.  Assuming XMR is faster on a per confirmation basis, this is another thing that should be conveyed more plainly to the computer-illiterate public at large.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Done!
Wow, it went through fast!  Is XMR designed to be faster than BTC for basic transactions such as this one?

In a sense - the 60 second block time means that it becomes part of the recipient's utxoset quite quickly, but if want to be absolutely assured that the network is in a state of consensus and you are in agreement with it you'd want to wait anything from 10 to 20 confirmations.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

XMR:
Code:
46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8aHYjA3jk3o1Bv16em

BTC:
Code:
Done!

XMR currently has one minute confirmations, which means initial confirmations will go through very quickly, but more confirmations are needed for a high level of security (for example, some of the current exchanges require >15 confirmations to release funds for XMR while 6 is standard for BTC and some sites will accept 3 or maybe less).

legendary
20% to core-dev team;
20% to pool development;

I have to ask, not because I am part of the dev team but because I am genuinely curious (so speaking solely as an individual here).

How much more pool development is really needed?

As an outsider (I don't run a pool) it looks to me like the pool software works pretty well the way it is. The main issues (excessive orphans, dust payouts) have been addressed, and pools are operating fairly smoothly.

Obviously there can always be more bells and whistles added to any software, but I don't see why a large budget of donations for ongoing pool software development is really needed right now. To me it seems that other areas of development should be a much higher priority.
Our pool gets all the updates 1st hand from zone117x, even the automated donations to core-devs will need extra work hours and time.
There is always something to improve and this is a very reasonable percentage, because we receive individual support and attention.

Updates that do what?  Again I'm asking because as an outsider it looks to me like most of the pool development is complete (and I'm not totally an outsider here because I donated heavily to the initial pool development). There is working pool software, with major issues in the initial release (described above) already solved.  That is a lot more that can be said for other pieces of essential software.

My interest is not in directing funds away from zone117x personally. In fact I think he is also working on a lightweight wallet, another piece of necessary software. I just wonder whether donations are better directed to that sort of work than continuing to put gloss onto already-working pool software.

XMR:
Code:

BTC:
Code:
Done!
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
20% to core-dev team;
20% to pool development;

I have to ask, not because I am part of the dev team but because I am genuinely curious (so speaking solely as an individual here).

As an outsider (I don't run a pool) it looks to me like the pool software works pretty well the way it is. The main issues (excessive orphans, dust payouts) have been addressed, and pools are operating fairly smoothly.

Obviously there can always be more bells and whistles added to any software, but I don't see why a large budget of donations for ongoing pool software development is really needed right now. To me it seems that other areas of development should be a much higher priority.

Although I commend the pool operator for its efforts at supporting dev, pool development is probably not high on priority.

May I suggest you take that 20% and create a reserve fund which will award work being done on a thin client wallet for XMR. (If I'm not mistaken, the same dev that crated pool program is also making thin client)
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
20% to core-dev team;
20% to pool development;

Our pool gets all the updates 1st hand from zone117x, even the automated donations to core-devs will need extra work hours and time.
There is always something to improve and this is a very reasonable percentage, because we receive individual support and 1st hand help if needed.
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
---

I don't know what I just read but I want the drugs you have;)
Lets party begins with Mr. Ricardo!

Mr Ricardo is a "bitcoin investor" from 2009. He can't type proper English, he uses absolutely horrid looking photoshopped/paintjob pictures, and he falsely uses other bitcointalk members names in his thread when they dont even know him, plus hes a newbie account with 4 activity.

Seems legit.  Roll Eyes
legendary
20% to core-dev team;
20% to pool development;

---

Lets party begins with Mr. Ricardo!
donator
---

XMR:
Code:

BTC:
Code:
Done!
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
If we get no donations, we are unable to spend large amounts of time on it, and we will have to peck away at it in our spare time. If you want to see less "sluggishness" (i.e. more time allocated), then donate. If you haven't donated you have absolutely no room to manoeuvre in this discussion.

I am confused by this statement. Assuming the dev team has full time jobs and works on XMR part time as stated above (and is obvious from the slow progress), how are donations going to help them spend more time on this? Lets say you get $50,000 USD worth of donations. Spread among 5 or 6 people, that is going to be around $10,000 each. No way does that help anyone quit their day job to spend more time on this. So I would love to donate and help accelerate XMR progress, but I also want to understand how a donation is going to help accelerate progress before I do.

There's a lot of work done by non-core members. tewinget, mike, zone, neozaru, the i2p guys etc... either financed by bounties or the core team.
Check the GUI bounty thread, its nearly all donations from the core team.
Pledged bounty:
- Tacotime, 500 XMR
- Smooth, 500 XMR
- NoodleDoodle, 1000 XMR
- eizh, 100 XMR
- David Latapie, 12 XMR

- ficklepickle, 5000 MINT
- mickey_miner, 500 XMR
- dnaleor, 10 XMR
- wallet42, 42 XMR

or the pool bounty:
Pledged Bounty:
- TacoTime, 1000 MRO
- Smooth, 1000 MRO
- NoodleDoodle, 2000 MRO
- David Latapie. 25 MRO

- surfer43, 200k BCN
- mickey_miner, 500 MRO
- eizh, 400 MRO
- dnaleor, 20 MRO
- GreekBitcoin, 17 MRO
- tifozi, 100 MRO
- othe, 502 MRO
- DStrange, 0.3 BTC, 5M BCN
- Cheesus, 1M BCN

I am for example self-employed/freelancing, so is fluffy and others. I devote as much time as i can to Monero but i still have to make a living and pay my rent.

Not a cent of the donation money will land into the core teams pockets, the donations are all used for external projects.

“Do not treat the core development team as if we were a commercial company that sold you a software library. That is not how open source works; if you are making a profit using the software, you are expected to help develop, debug, test, and review it.”
- Gavin Andresen (Bitcoin)

Reacting to recent comments and in order to support the monero devs and community, we have decided to donate 20% from our pools fee to the core-dev team.

At http://pool.cryptoescrow.eu July 12th: We started donating 20% to Core-dev team. Now 40% of pool fee goes to donations:
20% to core-dev team;
20% to pool development;
60% to support the pool;
Total Fee - 1%

Join our pool and start supporting Monero development!

donator

XMR:
Code:

BTC:
Code:
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Hey I may have found a way that I can actually help around here if you guys do a kickstarter. I could escrow the btc and xmr portion of the crowdfunding campaign. Since I am so heavily invested in xmr at this point, that will be all of the incentive i need, so i will happily provide this service for free.

See my rep thread in signature.
donator
I am confused by this statement. Assuming the dev team has full time jobs and works on XMR part time as stated above (and is obvious from the slow progress), how are donations going to help them spend more time on this? Lets say you get $50,000 USD worth of donations. Spread among 5 or 6 people, that is going to be around $10,000 each. No way does that help anyone quit their day job to spend more time on this. So I would love to donate and help accelerate XMR progress, but I also want to understand how a donation is going to help accelerate progress before I do.

None of us have full-time day jobs - all of us have companies or we work for ourselves or we work as freelancers. I'll let you reboot your logic train from that starting point.
Wow mintpal! What a cheater.... dropped at 0.00250004 and my order is just at 0.00250003  Angry
Like I said, nobody buys at the bottom...

Because nobody know where is a bottom.
That is not quite true: I know exactly where my bottom is, and with any luck will know exactly where Juanitas' is too, as I lie back in my hamaca and watch whales from my beach hut on the Pacific coast of Mexico.  But as for knowing market bottoms in advance, this is a fool's game.  The point is to find something worth investing in and then INVEST and HOLD.  There is no getting to the bottom of market irrationality.
Need your opinion, community members... I've just thought about kickstarter,

https://www.kickstarter.com/

Is their politics compatible with Monero goals particulary and crypto-currencies in general?
after this one:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad?ref=nav_search

(since kickstarter's politics had been changed indeed, that's why potato salad became possible at kickstarter)

what about Monero @ kickstarter?

Work is progressing quite rapidly on a funding system where everyone will be able to fund specific features / tasks. The main reason for donations at present is to enable us and some of the other devs to allocate much larger blocks of time to Monero on an ongoing basis until that system is ready to go:)
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Wow mintpal! What a cheater.... dropped at 0.00250004 and my order is just at 0.00250003  Angry
Like I said, nobody buys at the bottom...

Because nobody know where is a bottom.
Jump to: