Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1710. (Read 4670614 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
I think that the Mega-Pump before the entrance to Mintpal was immoderate and unhealthy, The overwhelming majority of the coins that passing Pumps like this, not sourviving for long.
The Dev's team have to work very hard to restore the value of XMR, I really believe in the coin but I'm Pessimistic.

Pumpsters can do their thing with any coin they like. It says literally nothing about the value proposition of the coin its self.
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

hello i have tried this method and it says my password is still invalid... i dont understand why as its the same password, is there another method... or do you think i will have more luck with the new gui wallet?

thanks for you help

it kinda seems like you just forgot your password. did you try 'x' for password? or nothing? capslock?

dude theres no way i could have forgotten, i had it written on two docs, ive gone through all the previous versions of the txt doc i put it on, and the password is correct, so i dont know why i cant get into my wallet

i took extra precautions with xmr for the fact that i didnt want to lose money and its a great coin... i dont understand why it worked before and not now if its literally exactly same password

IDK man i find it really hard to believe. the cryptonote protocol doesn't just forget your passwords. i don't mean to be a dick but it is 99% likely that you are at fault here. If you wrote the password down correctly, and it is coming back as incorrect, you probably made a typo when you typed it into the daemon. it doesn't ask you to repeat the password when you generate a wallet, and it reads as ******** so there is no way to see if you made a type or not. my advice would be to try the password again in the daemon with all the likely typos, example if f is the first letter of your password, try it with all the keys surrounding f instead (c,d,r,t,g,v) and do that for all the other letters and i bet you will get it after a few tries.

again, not to be a dick, but I would bet 100 xmr you are the one at fault here not the daemon lol.

youre not being a dick at all lol thanks for helping in what ever way... i will try it, however i restore 5 previous versions all say i have same password since it was created... that same password worked.. is there any way i can hack my own wallet??

if it worked before it should work now. I have no other explination than that, and no, noone can hack a wallet, humans dont currently have the technology to do so.

are you 100% sure you have the correct wallet data in your file folder? i have a few different wallets that i use across 3 machines and sometimes i type the password for wallet 1 into wallet 2 and freak out before quickly realizing i am the one at fault lol. try the typo thing. the daemon did not make a mistake or forget your password so it must be some other error. did you do the 24 seed word thing by any chance?

it worked before, so it better work now lool got a decent amount... and it must have been me or something... hmmm not even brute force attaack lol i need these xmr back lol

yes the thing is i only have one xmr wallet... one quazarcoin... and i always copy things two or three times to ensure stuff like this doesnt happen... will try all possible combos

and the 24 word seed was not an available feature with the first cryptonote wallet i created the password in... i tried to run wallet from the old gui i had and it worked... only thing was it didnt initillize as it was old and had been updated many times to the new one

thanks for your imput tho any help is appredciated

Just a thought... Are you running multiple keyboard (language) layouts in Windows? Is it possible that you might have entered the password using one keyboard layout, and are now using another one i.e. having a separate English and your particular language keyboard layouts?

its a good thought as i hadnt thought of it.... im not too sure if i am running multile keybord languages, how could i check this??

it is very possible to be honest... how would i be able to sort this if this is the case??

thanks dude much appreciated
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Google web search trend: we are still in very early days.

legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
I think that the Mega-Pump before the entrance to Mintpal was immoderate and unhealthy, The overwhelming majority of the coins that passing Pumps like this, not sourviving for long.
The Dev's team have to work very hard to restore the value of XMR, I really believe in the coin but I'm Pessimistic.
Activity: 243
Merit: 125

Note that if you named your wallet file not "wallet.bin" but simply "wallet" you have to delete file "wallet", but keep "wallet.keys", etc,
so meaning file name is what you type to simplewallet prompt on starting:

before:

wallet.bin
wallet.bin.keys
wallet.bin.address.txt

after:

wallet.bin.keys
wallet.bin.address.txt

[64-bit] simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin

***OR***

before:

wallet
wallet.keys
wallet.address.txt

after:

wallet.keys
wallet.address.txt

[64 bit] simplewallet --wallet-file wallet

Silly question but is that file there in the folder and of that name ?

Folder name is not the same as a wallet name, but I tried it with command given for that "simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin"

Have you pass all steps accurately at my instructions:

*WINDOWS USERS* (I think Linux users may do very very the same)

In case of any problem you have encountered with Monero:

1. Backup your wallet.* files.
2. Delete ALL Monero files from your computer.
3. Download 64-bit Monero zip & blockchain.bin from 1st sticky page of this thread.
4. Unzip & place all the files downloaded above to the directory: "C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\bitmonero".
5. From the backup made at step 1, place wallet.* files ||| EXCEPT wallet.bin ||| into directory at step 4.
6. Start bitmonerod.exe and wait for it to sync with the net.
7. Start simplewallet by the commad prompt: "simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin" (name of file that must NOT exist in directory at step 4).
8. When you want to stop any monero executables - ALWAYS type "exit" & be patient.

simplewallet re-creates correct version of wallet.bin for you.

Since you migrate to 64-bit Monero by CORRECT WAY mentioned above - you will never have any problem except being patient due to Monero is currently somewhat slow.

Monero developers are working hard to entirely fix the problem - you may choose either migrate the way I described above, or wait for developers to release a fix.

?
Activity: 265
Merit: 119

hello i have tried this method and it says my password is still invalid... i dont understand why as its the same password, is there another method... or do you think i will have more luck with the new gui wallet?

thanks for you help

it kinda seems like you just forgot your password. did you try 'x' for password? or nothing? capslock?

dude theres no way i could have forgotten, i had it written on two docs, ive gone through all the previous versions of the txt doc i put it on, and the password is correct, so i dont know why i cant get into my wallet

i took extra precautions with xmr for the fact that i didnt want to lose money and its a great coin... i dont understand why it worked before and not now if its literally exactly same password

IDK man i find it really hard to believe. the cryptonote protocol doesn't just forget your passwords. i don't mean to be a dick but it is 99% likely that you are at fault here. If you wrote the password down correctly, and it is coming back as incorrect, you probably made a typo when you typed it into the daemon. it doesn't ask you to repeat the password when you generate a wallet, and it reads as ******** so there is no way to see if you made a type or not. my advice would be to try the password again in the daemon with all the likely typos, example if f is the first letter of your password, try it with all the keys surrounding f instead (c,d,r,t,g,v) and do that for all the other letters and i bet you will get it after a few tries.

again, not to be a dick, but I would bet 100 xmr you are the one at fault here not the daemon lol.

youre not being a dick at all lol thanks for helping in what ever way... i will try it, however i restore 5 previous versions all say i have same password since it was created... that same password worked.. is there any way i can hack my own wallet??

if it worked before it should work now. I have no other explination than that, and no, noone can hack a wallet, humans dont currently have the technology to do so.

are you 100% sure you have the correct wallet data in your file folder? i have a few different wallets that i use across 3 machines and sometimes i type the password for wallet 1 into wallet 2 and freak out before quickly realizing i am the one at fault lol. try the typo thing. the daemon did not make a mistake or forget your password so it must be some other error. did you do the 24 seed word thing by any chance?

it worked before, so it better work now lool got a decent amount... and it must have been me or something... hmmm not even brute force attaack lol i need these xmr back lol

yes the thing is i only have one xmr wallet... one quazarcoin... and i always copy things two or three times to ensure stuff like this doesnt happen... will try all possible combos

and the 24 word seed was not an available feature with the first cryptonote wallet i created the password in... i tried to run wallet from the old gui i had and it worked... only thing was it didnt initillize as it was old and had been updated many times to the new one

Just a thought... Are you running multiple keyboard (language) layouts in Windows? Is it possible that you might have entered the password using one keyboard layout, and are now using another one i.e. having a separate English and your particular language keyboard layouts?
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
You're asking the pool operators to steal from Claymore?

That's propaganda language.  We all know what is actually happening.  Calling it stealing is a way to smear the value judgments of others in an area where precedent is thin and vocabularies thinner.  I consider Claymore's miner a threat to Monero.  Because it is just a miner, it is a relatively low grade threat, but it is still a threat.  He chose to release it freely, with no license for download.  What we do with it is up to us.  There is almost no similarity to stealing. although I admit some tenuous analogy does exist.

"We all know what is actually happening" -- I must be wearing my stupid hat today, because it sounds to me like a pool threatening to take money mined to one address and redistribute it in a way other than what the standard pool contract and fee schedule indicates.  

But please do educate me.  That hat, you see.

It's one thing if an individual miner modifies their copy of the binary to behave in a manner other than the way it did originally.  That's up to the miner, any license on the code that they agree to, etc.  But once that mining reaches the pool, how is it any different from any other user having submitted a share?

Perhaps Claymore also has 100 of his own GPUs mining to that same address.

Perhaps I'm running one of my GPUs mining directly to his donation address as a way to say thank you.

It's not the pool's place to judge unless that's advertised clearly, in advance, with enough time for miners and developers to decide whether they are willing to support that kind of behavior.

The precedent is that pools pay in accordance with their policy regarding shares, found blocks, and pool fees, and they do so reliably and transparently.  The pools that don't do so are stealing, whether they do it by stealing from all users with hidden excess fees, fake extra accounts, or pocketing developer fees.
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
Pools: XMR.HashInvest.net

Updates:

• Pool updated to edge pool software and daemon.
  • Edge difficulty retarget improvements applied and running.
  • Pool now donating 0.1% to pool software development in order to provide excellent service in future.
  • Still low 0.75% fees.

People! Join pool http://hashinvest.net. I take care of this pool all the time. Stable pool with low 0.75% fee. Instant online support and payouts.

Nice web site - distinct instuctions - with clear NVidia/AMD miner download links - and simple profit calculator & "Support is online". Respect. Smiley

Thanks for kind words.

I just added 443 Low Diff. Port so people can mine from their office workstations and beat corporate firewall.

thanks for you help

legendary
Activity: 1092
I'm a Firestarter!

Folder name is not the same as a wallet name, but I tried it with command given for that "simplewallet --wallet-file wallet.bin"
Activity: 798
+1. Guys see my post above with step-by-step instructions to correctly migrate to clean 64-bit Monero installation.
bitmonero wallet v0.8.8.1()
password: *******
Error: failed to load wallet: file not found "wallet.bin.keys"

legendary
Activity: 1092
I'm a Firestarter!
+1. Guys see my post above with step-by-step instructions to correctly migrate to clean 64-bit Monero installation.
Error: failed to load wallet: file not found "wallet.bin.keys"

+
Error: failed to load wallet: failed to read file "wallet"
Activity: 294

thanks for you help

thanks for you help

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas

That's propaganda language.  We all know what is actually happening.  Calling it stealing is a way to smear the value judgments of others in an area where precedent is thin and vocabularies thinner.  I consider Claymore's miner a threat to Monero.  Because it is just a miner, it is a relatively low grade threat, but it is still a threat.  He chose to release it freely, with no license for download.  What we do with it is up to us.  There is almost no similarity to stealing. although I admit some tenuous analogy does exist.

In a gallic cultural context, where les droits d'auteur are more of a category in themselves, Claymore's claims would be stronger than in a albionic context of Franklinite copyright.  In a sinic context they would essentially vanish.

Activity: 294

thanks for you help

what wroong whit it? bitmonerood
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.753972 bitmonero v0.8.8.1()
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.755973 Module folder: C:\Users\Khatmau_sr\monero.win.x64.latest\bitmonerod.exe
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.762979 Initializing p2p server...
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.767982 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:82 Exception at [node_server::init_config], what=invalid signature
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.776987 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:213 Failed to init config.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.783994 ERROR ..\..\src\daemon\daemon.cpp:148 Failed to initialize p2p server.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.789996 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.552825 bitmonero v0.8.8.1()
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.560830 Module folder: C:\Users\Khatmau_sr\monero.win.x64.latest\bitmonerod.exe
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.568837 Initializing p2p server...
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.573839 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:82 Exception at [node_server::init_config], what=invalid signature
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.582847 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:213 Failed to init config.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.589850 ERROR ..\..\src\daemon\daemon.cpp:148 Failed to initialize p2p server.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.597855 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished

I would say the "invalid signature" error is your problem, I recall someone else having the same thing and a full reinstall (including wiping their %appdata%) fixed it. Make sure you backup your wallet.bin.keys file first though, just in case!

what wroong whit it? bitmonerood
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.753972 bitmonero v0.8.8.1()
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.755973 Module folder: C:\Users\Khatmau_sr\monero.win.x64.latest\bitmonerod.exe
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.762979 Initializing p2p server...
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.767982 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:82 Exception at [node_server::init_config], what=invalid signature
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.776987 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:213 Failed to init config.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.783994 ERROR ..\..\src\daemon\daemon.cpp:148 Failed to initialize p2p server.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:41.789996 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.552825 bitmonero v0.8.8.1()
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.560830 Module folder: C:\Users\Khatmau_sr\monero.win.x64.latest\bitmonerod.exe
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.568837 Initializing p2p server...
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.573839 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:82 Exception at [node_server::init_config], what=invalid signature
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.582847 ERROR c:\users\tom\documents\github\bitmonero\src\p2p\net_node.inl:213 Failed to init config.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.589850 ERROR ..\..\src\daemon\daemon.cpp:148 Failed to initialize p2p server.
2014-Jun-30 18:31:44.597855 Mining has been stopped, 0 finished

I would say the "invalid signature" error is your problem, I recall someone else having the same thing and a full reinstall (including wiping their %appdata%) fixed it. Make sure you backup your wallet.bin.keys file first though, just in case!
dga
Activity: 737
Merit: 511
STOP THE FREE RIDE FEE

first pool have break the ice as blocking claymore fees for showing it can be done.
it is now only matter of time other pools to ban the fee, permanenty
you will soon see first good pool blocking fees rising with their hashrates to the roof.
whos pool will it be?

Right.  As I hope superresistant realized when he very briefly posted that his pool was going to do this, the result would simply be that the closed-source miners would no longer be able to connect to his pool (or, worse, would submit shares but eat actual blocks found).

This is a very bad idea, and as a miner developer, it would make me stay the heck away from the entire coin.  Let's not go there - XMR has benefitted enormously from having open source contributions that moved it away from its deliberately-slowed-down bytecoin base, and will continue to benefit from improvements to verification speed, ease of mining, etc.

I have a better suggestion:  A large bounty for an open source AMD OpenCL miner.  

If you make it large enough, perhaps Claymore will open source his.  If it's interesting enough, it'll draw other authors into the competition.  And if it's not, then you'll learn that people prefer to pay for quality software by paying a dev fee -- and what's wrong with that?

(20 BTC and it's done.  That's about the same amount that it took to bribe vote Mintpal into listing XMR, so it's not an insane amount. Smiley
Jump to: