Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 692. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
A small complication with updating the OP, input requested.

The max length of the title is 80 chars. Currently we are at 60 chars with "[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency". Adding " || Latest Version: " already adds 20 chars.

Suggestions?

updated by fluffypony

"[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency || Latest: v0.9.1"

Activity: 870
Merit: 585

The max length of the title is 80 chars. Currently we are at 60 chars with "[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency". Adding " || Latest Version: " already adds 20 chars.

Suggestions?

updated by fluffypony
If you can delete, the original title has about three dozen dispensable characters.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Suggestions?

updated by fluffypony

"[XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable currency || Version 0.9.1"

mebbe
Activity: 54
Merit: 257

Suggestions?

updated by fluffypony
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
...- Bonus question: Sorry I forgot, why again was I2P once preffered over TOR to be integrated/used with Monero?
Maybe someone can remind me or point to a link, where I can read it up myself.

Probably because Tor is widely accepted as being cracked by TPTB. But something is better than nothing so go for it in the mean time. Smiley

I believe there is no reason not to have the mandatory notice on the bct announce page OP.

Those type of notices used to be in the title of the thread.

I understand it says "We are moving away from Bitcointalk" in the OP but still this is critical info.  This type of info used to be in the title of this thread.

It's not a mandatory update from 0.9, but it is a mandatory update from 0.8.x. A fresh sync with 0.9 works just fine, a lot of 0.9 nodes aren't on the bad fork any longer (longest chain rule), and the 1 or 2 nodes that still seem to (bizarrely) be stuck will figure out they need to update.

Re: the thread title, with the mandatory hard fork policy every update is mandatory. We can put the latest version in the title, but I'm not sure it's necessary to use the word mandatory - thoughts?

I completely agree with Nioc.

legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
I believe there is no reason not to have the mandatory notice on the bct announce page OP.

I understand it says "We are moving away from Bitcointalk" in the OP but still this is critical info.  This type of info used to be in the title of this thread.

It's not a mandatory update from 0.9, but it is a mandatory update from 0.8.x. A fresh sync with 0.9 works just fine, a lot of 0.9 nodes aren't on the bad fork any longer (longest chain rule), and the 1 or 2 nodes that still seem to (bizarrely) be stuck will figure out they need to update.

Re: the thread title, with the mandatory hard fork policy every update is mandatory. We can put the latest version in the title, but I'm not sure it's necessary to use the word mandatory - thoughts?

On reddit the thread titled "MANDATORY UPGRADE for everyone that is running v0.9.0 - Hydrogen Helix" is stickied so I assumed something like that should be noted here.

As far as going forward, I assume our constant hardfork policy is unique and I think each time a new hardfork comes out that the proper action required should be communicated as hopefully we will have new users each hardfork.  

Thank you for everything fluffypony Smiley

BTW I didn't win the lottery today but I collected enough cans and bottles for the next drawing Grin

I added the mandatory part to the thread because on the day itself it was kind of necessary for everyone to upgrade. After that, fluffypony stickied the thread and I can't change the topic title.

More info about the hard fork schedule: https://forum.getmonero.org/4/academic-and-technical/303/a-formal-approach-towards-better-hard-fork-management

I agree with smooth here btw.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

I understand it says "We are moving away from Bitcointalk" in the OP but still this is critical info.  This type of info used to be in the title of this thread.

On reddit the thread titled "MANDATORY UPGRADE for everyone that is running v0.9.0 - Hydrogen Helix" is stickied so I assumed something like that should be noted here.

As far as going forward, I assume our constant hardfork policy is unique and I think each time a new hardfork comes out that the proper action required should be communicated as hopefully we will have new users each hardfork. 

Thank you for everything fluffypony Smiley

BTW I didn't win the lottery today but I collected enough cans and bottles for the next drawing Grin

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

The policy is valid but this being the first one I would say the point should be emphasized a bit. The older version is going to stop working in two months, after being current for well over a 1 year. We should make clear that the time to upgrade is now.

Activity: 649
Merit: 500
Want to finally try this coin. What wallet is better?
One that you keep safe. If you're ok running a full node, the standard command line wallet is certainly a good pick.

Is there any good web wallets like blockchain's for bitcoin?
-> MyMonero <-

These are the ones available:
https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
Want to finally try this coin. What wallet is better?
One that you keep safe. If you're ok running a full node, the standard command line wallet is certainly a good pick.

Is there any good web wallets like blockchain's for bitcoin?
-> MyMonero <-
Activity: 870
Merit: 500
Trading will make me rich)
Want to finally try this coin. What wallet is better? Is there any good web wallets like blockchain's for bitcoin?
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

legendary
Reading the quote "While Monero isn't made to integrate with Tor, it can be used wrapped with torsocks, if you add --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1 to the bitmonerod command line." in README.md at the repo, leads me to the following questions:

- Whats the status of this TOR-support via wrapper? Is this option: fully functioning and secure to use for people with basic TOR & crypto knowledge. Or this more like an draft/proof of concept/not supported dirty hack?

- Are more Monero I2P-nodes needed?

- Are more Monero TOR-nodes needed?

- In which clearnet geographical region are new nodes needed? Any suggestions?
(Without needs test, I randomly did setup 4 nodes in Asia yesterday: Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Kota Kinabalu[MY].)
So next time, I get pocket money from my grandmother and I decide to buy more nodes, I would deploy them, where they are needed. :-)

- Bonus question: Sorry I forgot, why again was I2P once preffered over TOR to be integrated/used with Monero?
Maybe someone can remind me or point to a link, where I can read it up myself.

Smooth already answered your first questions.

Anyway, you can see the geographical distribution of Monero nodes here -> https://monerohash.com/#network

Regarding bonus question: I would suggest to listen to the podcast -> http://podbay.fm/show/1032156854/e/1451151298?autostart=1

They discuss it in there.
legendary
Sorry, i described not detailed enough:
updated to 0.9.0.0 on Jan 2 2016, updated to 0.9.1.0 on Jan 15 2016
wanted to open my wallet today with simplewallet.
gave me the message:

I've forwarded your message to fluffypony on IRC, he is going to test it and see what went wrong.

Btw, if you stumble into any other problems, IRC is way faster to get help than bitcointalk. You can join without a client, just use http://webchat.freenode.net/, pick a nickname and set the channel to #monero.
legendary
On the first page of this ANN thread the following is listed.......

Latest release: 0.9.0.0 Hydrogen Helix   Huh Tongue

However I checked the windows 64 bit link does download 0.9.1.0  Smiley

I did not check the other links.

Shouldn't it say somewhere that there is a mandatory upgrade to 0.9.1.0?

States 0.9.1.0. Everyone was made aware via various outlets that it was a mandatory upgrade.

It states so because............

Fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!

I understand it says "We are moving away from Bitcointalk" in the OP but still this is critical info.  This type of info used to be in the title of this thread.

My bad, I didn't see that.

Regarding bolded, I agree, I'll ask fluffypony and/or smooth if he can edit it.

Regarding the title, if you put it in the title of the thread, it will be there for a long time, so it gets a bit messy. I think this is what fluffypony stated about it.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

Latest release: 0.9.0.0 Hydrogen Helix   Huh Tongue

However I checked the windows 64 bit link does download 0.9.1.0  Smiley

States 0.9.1.0. Everyone was made aware via various outlets that it was a mandatory upgrade.

It states so because............

Fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!

Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Sorry, i described not detailed enough:
updated to 0.9.0.0 on Jan 2 2016, updated to 0.9.1.0 on Jan 15 2016
wanted to open my wallet today with simplewallet.
gave me the message:
http://imgur.com/k67jWYY
legendary

Latest release: 0.9.0.0 Hydrogen Helix   Huh Tongue

However I checked the windows 64 bit link does download 0.9.1.0  Smiley

Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Hi
i updated to 0.9.0 and to 0.9.1, everything perfect, fast.
wanted to open simplewallet, gave me the following message:
http://imgur.com/k67jWYY
when i enter 0, the window disappears (win 7/64).
what can i do to update the wallet?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Reading the quote "While Monero isn't made to integrate with Tor, it can be used wrapped with torsocks, if you add --p2p-bind-ip 127.0.0.1 to the bitmonerod command line." in README.md at the repo, leads me to the following questions:

- Whats the status of this TOR-support via wrapper? Is this option: fully functioning and secure to use for people with basic TOR & crypto knowledge. Or this more like an draft/proof of concept/not supported dirty hack?

It's okay if you are careful. You are going through exit nodes. Always an issue when security is involved. The likelihood that exit nodes would try to trick you with a fake Monero chain seems low at this point given that Monero is pretty small and unknown. You can deal with his by checking your top hash against trusted sites (but if you are doing that through tor as well...)

Also, the README should be updated to point out you should delete or stash your p2pstate.bin file before switching to Tor (every time!) because otherwise your node can be identified by the node ID. (By deleting the file your node will generate a new one with a random ID.)

So as you can see things are a bit rough here, but usable if you are careful.

- Are more Monero I2P-nodes needed?

Monero I2P is not working yet.

- Are more Monero TOR-nodes needed?

No one has tried running Monero as a hidden service and if they did it would be tricky to connect to it. For now it relies on connecting to clearnet nodes via exit nodes.

Not sure of the answers to your other questions so I'll let other reply.
Jump to: