Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bither - simple&secure Bitcoin wallet.(iOS/Android 1.9.5) - page 10. (Read 66168 times)

Activity: 661
Merit: 503
A simple and secure Bitcoin wallet!
Bither iOS v1.0.3 released on App Store.

Bither Android v0.0.9 released on Google Play, and also we announced the brand new Bitcoin Java Library - Bitherj.

Bug:
  • I install Bither, choose "Cold", generate 6 privkeys and make backup
  • I de-install
  • I re-install and choose HOT this time
  • There is no way I can restore the privkeys from my previous backup -> bug

Because the SD card on Android are shared between Apps, we only support backup private keys to SD card on Bither Cold.
That means Bither Hot will never backup to SD card or restore from SD card. The only way to restore Cold private keys to Hot Wallet is to import private key one by one using advanced options. We suggest users keeping Cold private keys as cold as possible, and using Hot private keys as simple as they can.

We may improve this design in the future.

Thanks again for your help. It's very nice of you.

Cheesy

Bug:
  • I de-install
  • I re-install and choose cold again
  • Now I have immediately 10 (not 6) priv keys: The 6 from the backup, plus 4 new ones. Where do the 4 new come from? -> bug

Yes, it's a bug. Thanks for reporting.
We will fix it in Bither Android v0.0.9. https://github.com/bither/bither-android/issues/9

Smiley

P.S. : The backup of Bither Cold is ok and safe, and this bug is in the reading backup file part of the code (when newly install the Bither Cold).
THANK YOU!!!

On 19 May 2013 I had a vision:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=210261.0

now it has become reality.

I have some ideas for further improvements - some are also in above post - feel inspired!

So far, thanks so much, this is one of the most valuable pieces of SW in the Bitcoin eco system I have seen for more than a year!

Looking forward for more news - excellent work so far!!!

Dear Michael_S,

Wow, it was so amazing to have the same idea with you, and we were surpised that you had already thought it through even before a year!  Wink

We will look deeply into your topic and consider seriously about your suggestions, and all of these helps us a lot.
Currently we are working hard on our next version of Bither Android, and that version is very important to us. You can find more details at the end of next week.

Thank you very much, and we really appreciate your help.

Sincerely Yours,

Wen Hao
Bither Team
Activity: 278
Merit: 250
Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer
Hello,

here's a little more feedback on version 0.0.8 of Android:

Bug:
  • I de-install
  • I re-install and choose cold again
  • Now I have immediately 10 (not 6) priv keys: The 6 from the backup, plus 4 new ones. Where do the 4 new come from? -> bug

Bug:
  • I de-install
  • I re-install and choose HOT this time
  • There is no way I can restore the privkeys from my previous backup -> bug

Ideas for improvement / Feature Requests:
  • deterministic wallet - requires one-time backup for all times
  • At privkey generation, collect randomness from physical smartphone sensors and let the app be transparent about what sensors are used. For each sensor, for the digital samples of the physical measurement, just take the LSB, and respect coherence time between successive time samples, to guarantee correlation-free randomness. E.g. use as physical random sources: screen input (like truecrypt), microphone, gyroscope, camera, etc. Then, each physical input (plus also an internal pseudo random number generator as ADDITIONAL source) generates a sequence of 256 bits. You XOR all these 256bit-sequences. This yields a random sequence that is truely random beyond all doubts.
  • App shall "encourage" (or better: even "nag") the user to make and to verify backups! (compare the concept how Mycelium does it)
  • Generally, for privkey base58 text format, please use the format that starts with "5", not the one starting with "K", because the format starting with "5" is much more common and wide-spread in other apps --> better cross-platform compatibility.
  • For "Bither COLD", the backup method should be this, because phone is offline: Either display privkey on screen (as text or QR code or both), and the user shall write it down on paper or make a photo of the smartphone's screen with his digital camera! Then there shall be a verification step (compare Mycelium), and only then the "Bither COLD" shall be "happy" and shall no longer nag the user any further by showing nag screens or red text reminding user to make or to verify his/her backup.
  • About backup: Allow password-protected priv-keys. Instead of a standard method like Mycelium or BIP 000xx, you can also use a simple method like this (actually I consider this superior, see also next bullet): User selects password, and Bither generates random 256-bit sequence (with random entropy like described above). The WIF-formated priv-key of this 256bit is the QR-code (or text) shown on the screen when you make the backup. The user has to backup this key (e.g. via DigiCAM or write on paper), but the user also has to write down his password (password can also be randomly-generated by Bither itself - choice up to the user). Because the privkey that is ACTUALLY used by Bither is not the just mentioned 256bit, BUT it is
       WIF(sha256(WIF(256bit)||password)),
    where "WIF(256bit)" denotes the WIF-formated string of a 256bit number, starting with "5...". And "||" denotes a simple string concatenation operation.
  • Put the idea from previous bullet one step further: Support wallet with PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY for ULTIMATE "SOCIAL" SECURITY (i.e. your bitcoins are secure even if someone points a gun at you (this is not the case for normal paper wallets):
    The method is like this:
    Bither COLD (albeit method is also applicable to Bither HOT) stores "256bit" = your "root privkey" or "base privkey" on the phone! But the user can enter a password to generate a new priv key that is only TEMPORARY in memory and will never persist in memory and never written to flash-mem! Then Bither COLD generates a TEMPORARY priv key according to
       sha256(WIF(256bit)||password).
    Isn't this cool? It means you can have as many priv-keys as you want "entangled" with the one privkey stored on your smartphone (so dictionary attacts like for the normal "brainwallet" method are not possible), and nobody can prove how many "derived privkeys" you have (or if you have one at all). Maybe "password1" is simple and you use it if someone holds a gun to your face. But fortunately, you still have password2 and password3 that "hide" much more Bitcoins :-)
  • Note: Of course, as said, above mentioned "hidden" or "plausibly deniable" privkey feature could also be applied to "Bither HOT". Not with the same security of course, but still much more secure than with the key itself saved on the phone's flash-mem. This allows you to take considerable amounts of bitcoins with you on your phone when you travel, in case you need them, but if somone takes your phone and uses his gun, he will only see a small bitcoin balance on your smartphone.
  • Improved "offline-surveillance" for BitherCOLD:
    - Query WiFi (or 2G/3G/4G) Android internal data counter: If it is not zero, it means you used your WLAN in the meantime -> "red flag".
    - Check that no SIM card is inserted at all (for BITHER COLD, a SIM card is definitely not required)!
    - If SIM card is inserted, at least check that DATA plan is DISABLED for 2G/3G/4G on this phone's Android settings - only voice is allowed!
    - Check for WiFi passwords (BitherCOLD should delete all saved WiFi passwords)
    - Maybe more surveillance measures are possible for WiFi, MobileData, Bluetooth, that I am not aware of.
  • Ad small "questionmark "?" buttons at many menus in the phone, where the user can get some meaningful explanations if required (compare "Electrum" wallet). This is useful because not all menu items etc. are self-explanatory, and simply referring to FAQ page of the app is too easy for the developer but too inconvenient for the user.
  • Add EUR as currency at least, and also other major currencies, like GBP, AUD, Brazil, Russia, Switzerland, Japan, Poland, to name just a few... Use API of any major financial web-site to convert from USD to XYZ (XYZ=EUR, GBP, ...), so any bitcoin exchange using USD can be used and still wallet can display the current balance in currency XYZ.
  • Provide documentation specification of the QR code transaction format interface on your homepage used for showing (un)signed transactions on one or on several QR codes, such that other app programmers making HOT bitcoin wallets, like Mycelium, AndroidWallet, blockchain.info and many others, can interface with BitherCOLD and serve as "hot" front-end to BitherCOLD. Hopefully, this QR code interface spec can make it to a quasi standard, maybe even a BIP 00xxx.

More comments to come, once I have tried out the handling of BitherHOT and BitherCOLD with offline transaction and scanning of QR codes... (at this point I haven't tried it yet)
Activity: 278
Merit: 250
Bitcoin-Note-and-Voucher-Printing-Empowerer
THANK YOU!!!

On 19 May 2013 I had a vision:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/use-old-out-of-service-smartphones-for-btc-offline-storagesigning-transactions-210261

now it has become reality.

I have some ideas for further improvements - some are also in above post - feel inspired!

So far, thanks so much, this is one of the most valuable pieces of SW in the Bitcoin eco system I have seen for more than a year!

Looking forward for more news - excellent work so far!!!
Bither iOS v1.0.2 released on App Store.

Bither iOS v1.0.1 released on App Store.

Bitheri : the first Bitcoin library implemented with Objective-C
https://github.com/bither/bitheri

Also, we released the souce code of bither-ios:
https://github.com/bither/bither-ios

Awesome, keep adding some more features and this will be the best mobile wallet hands down!

Thank you very much.
Currently we are working hard on next version, and are trying to make the things better.
 Cheesy
Any chance of implementing BIP32 and BIP39? It would be nice if I could back up the cold wallet with writing down a few words and not have to worry about phone storage or it breaking.

We may try to support BIP32 and BIP39 in the future version. Thanks for your question, that helps us a lot.
 Grin
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Awesome, keep adding some more features and this will be the best mobile wallet hands down!
Activity: 994
Merit: 507
Any chance of implementing BIP32 and BIP39? It would be nice if I could back up the cold wallet with writing down a few words and not have to worry about phone storage or it breaking.
Bither v0.0.8 released on Google Play.

1. Secure Keyboard.

2. Long press the lock icon for more advanced options.

Bither iOS v1.0.0 released on App Store.

Pages:
Jump to: