Pages:
Author

Topic: Announcement - ASIC mining processor by Butterfly Labs - page 18. (Read 227505 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
FYI, from the BFL forum.
Quote from: Inaba
Here's a quick update:

We are expecting the chips on the 8th. The Fab is still maintaining that it will be the 8th, but it could be earlier than that. We are planning on the 8th though, we will have the chips sent via overnight express to our bumping and packaging facilities in California (We are not going with the North Carolina facility, as they could not meet our timeline). We are negotiating with the California bumping facility to get tooled up and ready to complete the bumping process as fast as possible. We are targeting them for being ready to bump the chips on the 14th, but it could be as late as the 18th. It should not take more than 24 hours to bump all our chips and get them to the packaging facility, where it will take another ~24 hours (probably less) to package them where I will likely be couriering them to our assembly facility.

At that point it will take less than a day to assemble some boards, where I'll send the boards to a couple test facilities to make sure everything is kosher. This step will probably take 1 - 2 days, but may take less as we tweak things. Assuming everything checks out (and we have no reason to believe it won't), we will give the assembly house the go ahead to mount the rest of the chips, which will take less than 24 hours, where I will carry them back and/or overnight express them to Kansas City and we will begin assembly and shipping operations.

So it's looking like the week of the 17th for shipping, probably a bit later in the week unless the bumping house really pulls it together, we might be able to ship as early at the 18th, but that is pretty optimistic, more likely is around the 22nd or so.
Activity: 697
Merit: 500
These units look pretty sweet. I'm not sure why the Avalon units are so large in comparison, but it reminds me of Iron Man vs. that reverse-engineered Iron Man in the first movie. I might have to put in an order for one and check it out.

Inaba, do you expect to be able to fill all orders with the first wave of bulk shipments?

Avalon went with a very simple chip on a large(110nm) process. I imagine this strategy gave them very high yields out of the wafers because of the small chip size. This came at the cost of a large PCB to route to all the chips. BFL appears to be going the other way with a few very large chips based on a smaller(65nm) process. This should give them better power efficiency and more hashing power per chip at the risk of random manufacturing defects giving them fewer of these chips per wafer. Of course one hopes for 100% yields but that isn't always the case. We'll see how this all plays out very soon.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break
RHA
Activity: 392
Merit: 250
Front:

Back:

FTFY

We see the boards are ready for FCBGA.
Nice.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1040

More pictures of their asic without any asics Smiley
Until I see or hear proof otherwise, I am still going to assume those wafers will be the very first actual silicon they get their hands on.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
These units look pretty sweet. I'm not sure why the Avalon units are so large in comparison, but it reminds me of Iron Man vs. that reverse-engineered Iron Man in the first movie. I might have to put in an order for one and check it out.

Inaba, do you expect to be able to fill all orders with the first wave of bulk shipments?
Activity: 530
Activity: 981
DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize
I was aware of the change in timeline which projected the chips being finished 4-8 February.  Everything after that is on a very tight timeline.  It's 5 February in Asia, so Josh needs to leave soon if he's going to collect the chips on Friday and start shipping 10 days later (which to date is the "worst case scenario" he's acknowledged).

I saw the comments about Josh not leaving on 1-2 February because Josh sitting around in a hotel room waiting for the chips wasn't regarded as the best use of his time, but no update as yet on when he will be leaving for the fab.  The steps remaining after he collects the chips are :

- Transport wafers same day to bumping facility
- 2 days in bumping facility
- Transport to substrate and packaging
- 1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
- Transport to assembly house
- < 24 hours at assembly house
- ~1 day for chip verification/testing
- Transport to Kansas City
- Bulk assembly / send out demo units
- Ship bulk units

If the worst case scenario in every step comes to pass, we are looking at starting shipping around Monday the 18th.

I think they may be over-confident in believing they can meet the 18 Feb shipping date if Josh hasn't even left for the fab yet.

Maybe I missed where Asia was important to their time line. Last I heard California and North Carolina where the stops the chips made before Kansas. All US unless China put in a NC, Cali, or Kansas that I wasn't aware of.

Maybe the lack of news causes the odd time comments or maybe you are suggesting since it is tomorrow in Asia first that a US company uses the day in Asia as their benchmark for what day things happen on. I personally have never seen a US company use a date that wasn't in their time zone so FWIW I am not sure Asia matters to BFL's timeline.

I would love a real update though. Something that says how things are going.
Activity: 574

I think they may be over-confident in believing they can meet the 18 Feb shipping date if Josh hasn't even left for the fab yet.

Sadly, I agree...

Happily i agree Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

Sadly, I agree...

Activity: 868
I was aware of the change in timeline which projected the chips being finished 4-8 February.  Everything after that is on a very tight timeline.  It's 5 February in Asia, so Josh needs to leave soon if he's going to collect the chips on Friday and start shipping 10 days later (which to date is the "worst case scenario" he's acknowledged).

I saw the comments about Josh not leaving on 1-2 February because Josh sitting around in a hotel room waiting for the chips wasn't regarded as the best use of his time, but no update as yet on when he will be leaving for the fab.  The steps remaining after he collects the chips are :

- Transport wafers same day to bumping facility
- 2 days in bumping facility
- Transport to substrate and packaging
- 1 - 2 days for substrate and packaging
- Transport to assembly house
- < 24 hours at assembly house
- ~1 day for chip verification/testing
- Transport to Kansas City
- Bulk assembly / send out demo units
- Ship bulk units

If the worst case scenario in every step comes to pass, we are looking at starting shipping around Monday the 18th.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Just to clear a few things up about what was stated so far by Josh

On the 13th of January par of the original post was

Week of January 26th
Final chips roll off the line

Week of February 10th
We implement the 1/3 shipping plan en mass

The next week on the 22nd he made a change

Week of February 3rd
Final chips roll off the line

BUT this stayed the same. 

Week of February 10th
We implement the 1/3 shipping plan en mass

We will see if this changes in  a future update.  I don't really care as much about what happens in the middle as much as I care about what happens in the end.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
that slipped a while back.

the slippages aren't really being announced or whined about due to the lack of concrete days people can QQ over.
e.g. we're currently on for the end of the week of the 10th Feb but one more hiccup and it's the week of the 17th and then the end of the week of the 17th...

Personally I'm preferring the frequent updates rather than on the day it should be launching getting an update that it's not happening and we should come back in a month.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Any word yet on when Josh is heading to the fab?  The "worst case scenario" date for the chips being ready is rapidly approaching.
They cancelled the trip.

The Fab releasing the chips was delayed until the 8th of Feb. It was originally slated for the 1st.

So the entire timeline may be seeing a much later "final date".

No "Ronin" runs for Josh.

(Go read the BFL forums)

From Josh's update thread on 2013/1/30:

Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th

Your date of BFL receiving the chips on the 8th is right in line with the timeline they posted a week ago. It was not slated for the 1st, Josh's trip was scheduled for the 1st.
No, up until a couple days ago the latest news ticker on the BFL forums said Chip delivery no later than Jan 31. The mid January update also had chip delivery and arrival at the packaging facility during the week of January 26th. The chip delivery time has been pushed back.
legendary
Activity: 952
Any word yet on when Josh is heading to the fab?  The "worst case scenario" date for the chips being ready is rapidly approaching.
They cancelled the trip.

The Fab releasing the chips was delayed until the 8th of Feb. It was originally slated for the 1st.

(Go read the BFL forums)

From Josh's update thread on 2013/1/30:

Leave for the fab ~ Feb 1st or 2nd
Acquire 6 wafers earliest Feb 4th - Latest Feb 8th

Your date of BFL receiving the chips on the 8th is right in line with the timeline they posted a week ago. It was not slated for the 1st, Josh's trip was scheduled for the 1st.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Startling news indeed. Has BFL announced which fab they're using? The fab fail level is absolutely off the charts.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003
They cancelled the trip.

(Go read the BFL forums)
Activity: 868
Any word yet on when Josh is heading to the fab?  The "worst case scenario" date for the chips being ready is rapidly approaching.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1253
In case of BFL I would say no new is bad news. I don't expect them to ship anything this month and I assume chances are quite low that they will ship in March. Talking about vouchers for early pre-order customers is a really bad sign! I read from these messages that they prepare for another large delay.
Pages:
Jump to: