Author

Topic: [ANN]Spectrecoin[XSPEC] TOR+OBFS4, Ring Sig, Stealth! - page 112. (Read 94854 times)

Activity: 263
Merit: 101
Leo Bitman
There are two kinds of people for staking:

1- Those who see Staking as a Solution: Ok Staking. Roll Eyes BTC

2- Those who see Staking as a Problem: No Staking. Shocked Huh

In my opinion this is the best Guide for Staking.  Smiley
Activity: 490
Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
Your not being rude. And yes I did figure it out on my own. My point is this. You say that this happens with every POS coin. Spectre is different and should be in this regard too. If you can make the user feel secure, that is over half the battle. Being secure is one thing. Feeling it is what will bring people en mass.
Google hasn't answered me on why larger amounts get paid more often. Obviously they would get more having a larger amount. But why do they get paid multiple time a day versus 40+days for the little guy.
Activity: 274
Merit: 254
To clarify, I'm pretty sure when you enter your password and check the staking only option, it still requires you to enter the password again to send a tx. So coins can't be stolen that way. However I'm curious if the staking keeps the private key in RAM, if so then it is vulnerable to hacking/virus, and ram dump if attacker has physical access. Anyone know if key is kept in RAM during staking?
Activity: 1330
Merit: 515
Coin Mage
Staking on a stealth adress would be a very amazing feature.

Yes. I'm pretty sure it will happen sooner or later. A colleague of JBG will join, first for just a month. He's a cryptographer. Maybe we can make him stay  Wink

Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?

That's a very good question. It depends on your attack scenario. Computer stolen? Server compromised through a Windows update? Remote NTP exploit? The last two would be doomsday-like global scenarios. The latter risk does increase with time if you keep your computer alone, but if you encrypt your wallet and the power gets plugged, they will not be able to access it. Another case would be that someone comes to your house and tries to access the running system, in that case locking the screen with a password should help against most attackers. Personally I don't see any reason security-wise to not keep my home server running 24/7, and have the wallet unlocked.
Activity: 308
These packets fly
Wallet is a beauty, dropped these nodes in Spectrecoin.conf for an excellent connection:

https://novaexchange.com/addnodes/XSPEC/
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002
Staking on a stealth adress would be a very amazing feature.
Activity: 256
Merit: 100

Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky

This is not the first time I have seen this claim, with regard to staking.  Can someone please explain the reasoning behind this?

Because, even if there is risk associated with having a wallet open for staking (despite it being password protected against hacking), that risk is present any time the wallet is open for staking, even if just part time.  While I understand that the less time a device is connected and a wallet is staking, the lower the risk, I also understand that the reward is likewise lower.

So, what really matters is the risk to reward ratio.  Does that ratio increase when the wallet is left open for staking 24/7, and if so, how?
Coin Mage

• You cannot stake with a stealth address (yet).

obviously even an old member could get you the wrong answer.
you can stake with a stealth address as long as this address is not the stealth address that you are using in the "PRIVATE" account.

Actually you are right, coins are not "stored" in a stealth address. Either you send coins to it and it creates a new public address, in which case you can stake. Or you send ring signature tokens to it, in that case you can't and it will be displayed as private balance. Thanks for pointing out.  Smiley
Activity: 179
Merit: 100

• You cannot stake with a stealth address (yet).

obviously even an old member could get you the wrong answer.
you can stake with a stealth address as long as this address is not the stealth address that you are using in the "PRIVATE" account.
Coin Mage
You also have to unlock the wallet for staking. Or at least I did. I still can't find my private key. Just my address.
Can you stake with with stealth? How does this affect the public viewed network weight?
Why is the staking reward higher than the 5% for some and others don't received any reward at all? Only the big dogs, with lots of xspec already, can receive staking rewards? Small guys gets nothing without taking the biggest risk(open wallet) This is seeming more and more iffy.
Seriously, where is the security layers?. Yes there is TOR and OBFS4, and eventually mature ring sig. But you don't even have a a password on the wallet without much digging. Anyone could see the info you must display when staking.

Maybe I'm just being a total newb. But this coin has to be new user friendly if it's going to compete with the big dogs. It's a secure, stealth coin, with good tech. But Tech is almost useless if most users can't figure it out. Those who have the knowhow are already using other, older coins.  

We need a tutorial! Make it so easy you can't not use it!

The problem is: This is exactly the same for ALL coins. In every POS coin I have seen, there are newbies asking "how do I stake, what are the requirements for staking" etc. The answers are always the same, because the concept, proof of stake, is always the same. It would only require hitting Google and getting some knowledge about what is happening here, e.g. what POS is! You cannot expect people to explain to you how to drive a car, if you don't know what a gearshift is. And people are not asking how to drive a car here, they are asking "how do I drive this car?". The same way as you drive any other car man. Maybe try learning about cars first before you buy one.  Roll Eyes

Sorry this is not meant to be unfriendly or disrespectful. Maybe I will add a section about it to the Wiki article at one point.

To answer your Specte-specific questions:

• You cannot stake with a stealth address (yet).Whether you can stake or not depends on the type of balance, either public or private. See the post below.
  • Yes, the password only protects access to your private key, not the entire wallet (yet).
Activity: 97
Merit: 10
What do you crave?
Hey guys

I am new to the world of crypto, however I see the potential of XSPEC and have started buying, I am hoping the price continues to drop for a while so I can get more.

I have a few questions for anyone who knows, forgive me if they have been answered already.

1. When XSPEC is more widely adopted and the stealth option in more mature with the ring signatures (as I understand the concept, I may be wrong) will XSPEC be able to rival MONERO for anonymity?

2. How does XST-STEALTH COIN compare to XSPEC, as XST also claims to use the TOR network?

3. How does the anonymity of XSPEC compare to NAV and CLOAK COIN, is it only the TOR integration that sets them apart?

I have done my best to research these things myself, but my understanding is limited.

Thanks
I wished I knew, I would like to add my two cents and put all privacy focus coins in the table to compare as well. Hopefully someone with technical knowledge about them would be able to give us insight and point out the differences

StealthCoin
Crave
Verge
PIVX
Deep Onion
Signatum
Monero
Dash
Spectre
Zcash
Cloak Coin
NAV
Anoncoin
Torcoin
KORECoin
Komodo
Ethereum Dark
Safe Exchange Coin (Omni Token)

Merit: 107
A non technical guy in a technical world
You also have to unlock the wallet for staking. Or at least I did. I still can't find my private key. Just my address.
Can you stake with with stealth? How does this affect the public viewed network weight?
Why is the staking reward higher than the 5% for some and others don't received any reward at all? Only the big dogs, with lots of xspec already, can receive staking rewards? Small guys gets nothing without taking the biggest risk(open wallet) This is seeming more and more iffy.
Seriously, where is the security layers?. Yes there is TOR and OBFS4, and eventually mature ring sig. But you don't even have a a password on the wallet without much digging. Anyone could see the info you must display when staking.

Maybe I'm just being a total newb. But this coin has to be new user friendly if it's going to compete with the big dogs. It's a secure, stealth coin, with good tech. But Tech is almost useless if most users can't figure it out. Those who have the knowhow are already using other, older coins.  

We need a tutorial! Make it so easy you can't not use it!
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002
Is there a staking guide?

1. Buy a lot of coins
2. Open the wallet
3. Deposit the coins to your wallet
4. Wait.

Cool

Spoken very well  Grin Grin
Coin Mage

1. Buy a lot of coins
2. Open the wallet
3. Deposit the coins to your wallet
4. Wait.

Cool
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
Leo Bitman
Hello,

I have my wallet showing me in recent transactions an amount transfered, but have in total balance 0.00 XSPEC.
I already tried last wallet.dat file but still remains the same - 0.00 xspec.

What should i do to recover amount in wallet?

thanks

This is not a fault of Spectrecoin, it is inherited from Bitcoin.
The current version 1.3.0 works fine, but to solve this interface problem, will soon release version 1.3.1.
Your balance is secure, it just does not show.
If you close and open several times it is almost certain to be fixed by itself.
Your question does not bother. We want you to have a good experience here.  Smiley
Leo Bitman
Really? How can they expect the mobile staking to work then? People are not going to store 1000s of dollars on a mobile device that could easily be lost or stolen. At least if they have any sense.
Even the desktop staking doesn't feel to secure. I have to manually encrypt my wallet, I wasn't prompted to or anything. Then leave it open and running? Obviously the user is incharge of their security but still, it not very newb friendly.
I'm not concerned about my electric cost, I get all I can pull for a flat rate. But thanks good to know for future reference.
I also wonder where the rest of the coins are. 7M in staking, maybe 1M on all exchanges. Still leaves half the supply just sitting out there.
Really! you can stake quietly.
Of course if you have thousands, you will make use of the password.
And also of course, you will have a copy of the wallet.dat file and with this recovering your thousands in case of lost device is very simple.
If it were the case that you had a very large amount, well in that case you can have more than one devices with a wallet each.
Leaving a device connected 24/7 is risky, if we consider that we must take risks to live every day,
well what follows is obvious: you must reasonably worry about the safety of your device.
The rest of the coins are in private wallets, remember the total coins were distributed,
the price of each one is so low that they think it is not worth the staking.  Smiley
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hey guys

I am new to the world of crypto, however I see the potential of XSPEC and have started buying, I am hoping the price continues to drop for a while so I can get more.

I have a few questions for anyone who knows, forgive me if they have been answered already.

1. When XSPEC is more widely adopted and the stealth option in more mature with the ring signatures (as I understand the concept, I may be wrong) will XSPEC be able to rival MONERO for anonymity?

2. How does XST-STEALTH COIN compare to XSPEC, as XST also claims to use the TOR network?

3. How does the anonymity of XSPEC compare to NAV and CLOAK COIN, is it only the TOR integration that sets them apart?

I have done my best to research these things myself, but my understanding is limited.

Thanks
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Join the slack and ask there. Its a bug with the current 1.3 wallet, they have seen it and know the workaround to it. Should be fixed in 1.4 wallet.
Merit: 106
Hello,

I have my wallet showing me in recent transactions an amount transfered, but have in total balance 0.00 XSPEC.
I already tried last wallet.dat file but still remains the same - 0.00 xspec.

What should i do to recover amount in wallet?

thanks
Jump to: