Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 131. (Read 379983 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
August 26, 2013, 11:50:09 AM
Sorry I've been little inactive aswell. I'm on the Ɏ logo and Your Alternative... side. yacoin.org displaying stuff like yak is easily changed if we reach consensus. Just keep in mind that I don't directly control the site nor does other yacointalk admins.

1 bug thats been consistent with Yacoin in Ubuntu has been missing menubars and taskbar menus. This affects CoinControl version too. I see it as QT problem with my system or the code. BTC and LTC 0.8 stable are both working fine on my machine.

Slow startup has been fixed in 0.8 versions of different Wallets with optimizations or by moving to LevelDB wallet instead of libdb4.8. I would wait until PPC or NVC moves forward but depending on our skillful coders we could imitate LTC too.

Thanks WindMaster for your summer's contributions and letting us continue with the project.
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
August 26, 2013, 10:33:45 AM
I'm making the thread. Wait a moment.  Smiley

Awesome thanks!  I will be sending some YAC's your way.
Activity: 274
Merit: 250
August 26, 2013, 09:56:29 AM
I'm making the thread. Wait a moment.  Smiley
GCVMMWH
August 26, 2013, 09:43:36 AM
You really want to spam the dev thread with votes?!

I'm for Beave162 logo and Yet Another Currency.

I believe ilostcoins is going to open it. The voting threads should not be opened or maintained by me. To your point, please let's not use this thread for voting.
Activity: 280
August 26, 2013, 09:27:41 AM
My votes are for the logo as used by Beave162, and for changing the name to Your Alternative Currency. If the final
vote does not result in a majority, then those are the changes that I will make.  
You really want to spam the dev thread with votes?! Please open a new topic.

I'm for Beave162 logo and Yet Another Currency.
GCVMMWH
August 26, 2013, 09:23:27 AM
LOL, can't believe I've started a flamewar just by changing a *NovaCoin* logo to something resembling YAC.

Nice job!  Cool

What are the rules? Every account can vote?

That sounds good to me.  The vote should be for the logo and for the name. Both of which are going to be "officially" changing within the next few weeks.  I'm absolutely committed to doing what the overall community wants for YACoin, but ultimately, to some of Beave162's concerns and so things will not stagnate, it will be my decision.  

My votes are for the logo as used by Beave162, and for changing the name to Your Alternative Currency. If the final
vote does not result in a majority, then those are the changes that I will make.  

August 26, 2013, 09:00:39 AM
St.Bit, you seem to think there should be a 'system' in place to decide things for the YaCoin 'community'.  This thought process goes against the principles behind cryptocurrencies.
Well not for, but a system by which we decide stuff. (If that was clear ignore)

The rest would be just anarchy and as Sairon said even changing a logo or name would otherwise result in a flamewar. A voting result by an commonly accepted method is the only way to shut up people that can't accept that their suggestion won't be used without shutting them up forever. It might not be so essential on the current size, but if YAC grows we will need it to be able move.
August 26, 2013, 06:31:55 AM
Meanwhile, should we have a voting thread for the logo?

Yes - do you want to create it?

What are the rules? Every account can vote? Or a thread that doesn't sound too official to gather opinions with no explicit criteria for how the winning logo will be decided, giving you more flexibility?

Anyway, I've made this image so anyone who wants to make the thread may elect to use.

http://i.imgur.com/bXFoeb1.gif
Activity: 406
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
August 26, 2013, 04:21:11 AM
LOL, can't believe I've started a flamewar just by changing a *NovaCoin* logo to something resembling YAC.
Activity: 809
Merit: 501
August 26, 2013, 03:44:46 AM
The two wallet thing means that just the rich decide what's happening. Once the CC is into the off. client I'm going to pay a 5k bounty I gave just for fun, so 700YAC on a decision I'm actually interrested in means nothing to me. That isn't me having more power, that is you having no power at all.

Don't get me wrong. I don't belive that there should be equal vote for everyone, but people outside an moneyelite sould be able to vote. YAC doesn't survives because of a few people having a lot of them, it's because the people that supported it.

When it comes to decision making, there are very simple rules, and there is absolutely nothing to be invented or discovered. It is as
simple as STFU unless you are very good on topic. Don't add noise. Just because you have an opinion it does not mean it matters. If
you think 1000 unknown YACoiners should ever be able to outvote very good coders on coding than you have no clue about decision
making process, one that results in good decisions ("I won't go with you 1000 retards because there where you go radiation is 500x
higher than norm").

To sum it up, it does not matter what all retards on this planet think. What matters are consequences of listening to those retards.

My idea is the following:
n/3 of votes will be controlled by the people actually owning YAC. Send a coin to the voting adress and it get's weighted by the balance of the adress sending.

(3-n)/3 of votes will be counted on a one vote/adress basis. To prevent someone to send 1000votes not every adress can vote. We start a new topic and everyone that posts his adress gets a coin from a special adress. Only adresses that resived a txt from it will be counted.The person with the special adress can't cheat, if he fucks up we start another thread.

For now I would say everyone that has ever posted something on the dev. threads (Original+WM) should get a vote, for the future I would raise the requirements. My idea would be n=2.

You are complicating extremely simple issues, just like Freicoin people, who still haven't decided on foundation, grants and whatnot.  Grin

+1 Bitcoin Megastore.  Thank you for shining some light here.  Joe_Bauers is the one putting time and energy into a wallet, so Joe_Bauers should decide on a logo.  Want to set-up a voting thread or accept bribes?  You do what you think best.  It is called the free market.  St.Bit, you seem to think there should be a 'system' in place to decide things for the YaCoin 'community'.  This thought process goes against the principles behind cryptocurrencies. On another point, if Joe_Bauers decides to use the dumbass Yak symbol, I may very well dump all my coins and move to an alternate where the majority of the individuals investing time, money, energy are making good decisions. Also, if he says, "screw it, I love the Yak," but then he also buys $50k worth of YaCoin, the price would skyrocket, and I really can't complain to him can I?

I"m not trying to sway anyone's opinion on what name and symbol works best; I am trying to sway your perspective on WHY having a professional perception is important... If I fail, I can just dump my coins and wait until more savvy people start to heavily invest time, money, energy.  Of course, I could invest more myself once the price has dropped enough to reflect the poor decisions made by those key stakeholders.

Imagine a world where YaCoin is the most accepted form of currency. Will Yak imagery exist? Will a grocery store open with a Yak head as part of their logo? Of course this could happen! I'm sure you would have people playing on the term 'Yuck' as well. But the companies that make poor marketing decisions will have to adapt or go out of business.  Since I still already have a stake in YaCoin, I am trying to  portray this message because I believe it will help the interest in YaCoin
Activity: 266
August 26, 2013, 03:34:36 AM
We could always get some new logos created. I'm sure if we have enough one will win the majority.
August 26, 2013, 02:26:17 AM
You are complicating extremely simple issues, just like Freicoin people, who still haven't decided on foundation, grants and whatnot.  Grin
And you are very supportive to keep Yacoin the same way.

Did you even think thru your ideas? The only way that could work if you become our dictator so you can decide to whom you might want to listen and how to value their vote. Idiots won't shut up, and intelligent people have the same egoism when it comes to their money.

My idea is complicated, but could it be done simpler without being a hoax? I simply wouldn't accept that my vote is euqualy weighted like someone with a few hundred Yacs. Hell, I've given more away than that. On the other hand I belive it's unfair to let 5 wealthy people actually decide and the rest just has to follow. The reason I don't accept thread votes for something important is that they can be faked so easily that it doesn't matter what the result is. If this were about a serious topic I'd have my socketpuppets ready long time ago.

Without an consenus bevor we have a bigger crowd it will be a few rich people ruling and everyone else following, or do you think Joe would have any legitimcy to overule even a small minority? If enough money is involved I can hire a better programmer, no one isn't replaceable.
GCVMMWH
August 25, 2013, 09:15:49 PM

Yes - do you want to create it?
August 25, 2013, 07:06:05 PM
I think the survey idea at yacointalk and here should work for now, but eventually it might get obsolete.
I'm all for innovation and differentiation, since as St Bit said it, YAC doesn't get the first PoS or PoW or most well known coin bonus btc,ltc,ppc has.

The two wallets thing might work, but also, guys with more coins will have more voting power. I only have 700 yac so I won't have much say.

The two wallet thing means that just the rich decide what's happening. Once the CC is into the off. client I'm going to pay a 5k bounty I gave just for fun, so 700YAC on a decision I'm actually interrested in means nothing to me. That isn't me having more power, that is you having no power at all.

Don't get me wrong. I don't belive that there should be equal vote for everyone, but people outside an moneyelite sould be able to vote. YAC doesn't survives because of a few people having a lot of them, it's because the people that supported it.

n/3 of votes will be controlled by the people actually owning YAC. Send a coin to the voting adress and it get's weighted by the balance of the adress sending.

(3-n)/3 of votes will be counted on a one vote/adress basis. To prevent someone to send 1000votes not every adress can vote. We start a new topic and everyone that posts his adress gets a coin from a special adress. Only adresses that resived a txt from it will be counted.The person with the special adress can't cheat, if he fucks up we start another thread.

For now I would say everyone that has ever posted something on the dev. threads (Original+WM) should get a vote, for the future I would raise the requirements. My idea would be n=2.

Remember:
This isn't about those damm logos or the name, we will have to face controversial decisions in the future. We can't fork a new altcoin everytime we see a good innovation.

I agree with something along these lines. I also agree it's easier to settle on a convention when not many people are involved.

GCVMMWH
August 25, 2013, 06:28:06 PM
I think the survey idea at yacointalk and here should work for now, but eventually it might get obsolete.
I'm all for innovation and differentiation, since as St Bit said it, YAC doesn't get the first PoS or PoW or most well known coin bonus btc,ltc,ppc has.

The two wallets thing might work, but also, guys with more coins will have more voting power. I only have 700 yac so I won't have much say.

Remember:
This isn't about those damm logos or the name, we will have to face controversial decisions in the future. We can't fork a new altcoin everytime we see a good innovation.

I have a better idea - whoever sends me the most YAC's gets their logo merged  Wink   

Seriously though, I like this idea. As you mention it's really not about the logos, it's about finding the best way to get things done.

Activity: 406
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
August 25, 2013, 03:56:56 PM
We can't fork a new altcoin everytime we see a good innovation.
Hell, why not? Grin
August 25, 2013, 03:35:07 PM

Remember:
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
August 25, 2013, 03:08:13 PM

GCVMMWH
August 25, 2013, 02:54:00 PM
If we're talking about a clear marketing message, then whatever is done with the logo, should probably match what is at yacoin.org. It doesn't make sense for the "official" website and the "official" client to use different logos. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of the one that is currently used, but if it is the one that is voted for (if we can figure out a way to do it), then that's what I'm going to merge to the client.

As for a vote, my vote... is to do it in a  thread on this forum, and maybe yacointalk as well. Not as a poll, but 1 choice and post per user (who has been registered for at least a month) after a week we can tally it up and that will be the official logo. In order for this to fully work, we need the folks at yacoin.org to agree to change their logo if a new one is selected. So, if anyone can get in touch with them, or let me know how to, then I believe that should suffice for the logo. Then we can move on to some other outstanding issues.  
August 25, 2013, 01:55:33 PM
I think the best advice I can give to everyone here is to leave YACoin wallet alone and move to projects that will help coin itself be useful.
That's stupid and misses my point completely. My point is about agreeing on a voting system.

You talk about adding some innovation later, but that's impossible without a consenus. You seen to think we don't need to change anyting now,ok I agree with that, but you say we shouldn't have the possibility to change anything controversial.*

Once we have that market you talk about we won't be able to find a consenus ever again. Everyone would have a strong oppinion about changes that effect his personal wealth. You said you also wouldn't agree on a system that weights everyone equal, but everyone witout tenthousands YAC wouldn't agree on a few wealthy people deciding what's going on either. This would make it impossible to change anything that isn't supported by everyone so nothing can change.

A lot of people aren't satisfied with the name/logo/etc, but there is currently no way to vote on such. I belive voting on the name f.e. would result in most of the people sticking to the old one, but no matter of the result it would end the discussion once and for all.

*)I belive most here agree that PoW+PoS is better than PoW alone, but the bitcoin community wouldn't be able to make changes like this even when most of them agree without risking a breakup. If YAC gets bigger one day there will be PoF and we won't be able to adapt either. Some group is always against innovation.
Jump to: