Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 134. (Read 379983 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
August 23, 2013, 11:45:53 AM
Joe, would it make sense to clone the various miner clients into the yacoin repository so that there is one central place where good, working copies of the CPU and GPU miners can be found?  Even if they're not the latest version, it's still something...
Unless he wants to check the source of all miners this is a bad idea. It doesn't bother me when someone puts a walletstealer in some miner, but if such thing ends on the official repository it's a PR nightmare.
Activity: 693
Merit: 500
August 23, 2013, 10:56:15 AM
Joe, would it make sense to clone the various miner clients into the yacoin repository so that there is one central place where good, working copies of the CPU and GPU miners can be found?  Even if they're not the latest version, it's still something...
Activity: 406
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
August 23, 2013, 10:38:29 AM
I did a quick search on the internets for "Loading block index" and found numerous results for other clients, so this doesn't seem to only affect YACoin. It's possibly more pronounced with YAC due to the lack of seed nodes, but that is pure speculation at this point.

It's verifying the block headers (checking if all the blocks really form a chain and that you don't have a corrupt blockchain). For me the startup takes approx 3 minutes (notebook with encrypted hdd). This time scales proportionally to the number of blocks in the chain (IMO).
http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/1906/why-does-it-take-15-minutes-for-my-bitcoin-client-to-start
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
August 23, 2013, 08:52:41 AM
I did a quick search on the internets for "Loading block index" and found numerous results for other clients, so this doesn't seem to only affect YACoin. It's possibly more pronounced with YAC due to the lack of seed nodes, but that is pure speculation at this point.
August 23, 2013, 07:16:37 AM
Wallet startup is damn slow on my side regardless of if datadir is on SSD or classic HDD. It used to start fast but it is getting worse with time.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Same here taking forever to load block index, I am running ssd raid 0 under Opensuse 12.3

Yep, but since I'm running it on a netbook with truecrypt and some other altcoins I haven't thought about it. YAC seems to be by far the slowest.
Activity: 434
August 22, 2013, 12:07:53 PM
Wallet startup is damn slow on my side regardless of if datadir is on SSD or classic HDD. It used to start fast but it is getting worse with time.

08/22/13 11:49:49 Loading block index...
08/22/13 11:57:14 LoadBlockIndex(): hashBestChain=000000047a3fe01c1fcb  height=180516  trust=5408589079260  date=08/22/13 11:45:58
08/22/13 11:57:14 LoadBlockIndex(): synchronized checkpoint 0000003098ac3de96d93c7968d454ea6a94d2ff42e774443ceb9b512e22b781a
08/22/13 11:57:14 Verifying last 2500 blocks at level 1
08/22/13 11:58:32  block index          522828ms

Anyone else having the same issue?

Same here taking forever to load block index, I am running ssd raid 0 under Opensuse 12.3
Activity: 274
August 22, 2013, 10:14:39 AM
Thankfully, yacoin isn't orphaned.  Smiley

BTW, thank you to everyone who contributed or will contribute.
GCVMMWH
August 22, 2013, 10:02:02 AM
Nevertheless loosing the main developer (again) will be a big hit to it.

This happens all the time in many open source apps and projects. For instance, Ian Murdock founded Debian in 1993, and as far as I know, contributes little (if any) code to the current project. There have been 12 project leaders since Ian, yet Debian is still one of the most successful open source projects and has a thriving community today.  

I have believed in YACoin since day one, and, like many of you, am personally highly invested in helping it to succeed.
I will be looking for community involvement, input, and absolutely... pull requests to the github repo.  

I look forward to working with all of you in the future.  Cool  
Activity: 434
August 22, 2013, 01:17:54 AM
WM - I will take it over if you can't do it anymore. Either in conjunction with sairon, or solo if they are not interested. Either way, I appreciate all of the work you've done on YACoin so far and am looking forward to seeing where we can bring YAC to in the future. Let me know.

I think that'll be the best.  So, everyone, I'm going to go ahead and turn the Github repository over to Joe_Bauers.  Joe has already demonstrated an understanding of the code (just look at the commit history on the repository, he's the only one who was contributed) and I consider him trustworthy, so I'm comfortable passing the torch on to him.  At this point the YACoin client needs some good UI improvements, and Joe is a lot stronger with QT, so the future of the coin will be better in his hands.  Part of the job of being the developer on an open-source project is knowing when to get out of the way of progress.  Hey Joe, I'll catch up with you to hand off the repository password.

Some kind words from someone on yacointalk wishing me well on my departure:
Quote from: merijnk
If you take on a public project and announce it like he did, then Dont whine that you get attention and PM and feature requests. I was not impressed with his presentation from the beginning. He mentioned his coding skills as moderate. .So now im just very disapointed by the additude thath he gets discouraged with the stupid feature request. Which is,imho,only showing the coin still gets attention from the less educated, a positive thing.
One of his main reason was to keep the project development alive becouse he had some coins (from the FPGA instamine). So now that he aperantly sold those he looses interest. Very Very weak, he got no vision.  let him leave, he is negatively affecting the project with this additude. Or hopefully he is just having a blue monday.

founder and contributor of yacoinwiki
http://www.yacoinwiki.tk
please donate @
BTC 1MerynXhXJ2nBFXW9FBc6GZszfP4hU63LH
YAC YLJHSjvKLai7xGAa4a9FVpswTYYNwfFWpY

Thanks for the kind words merijnk, the feeling is mutual!  Your contributions were invaluable (especially all those git pull requests you sent!), which is why I almost added your name alongside Joe_Bauers and sairon as candidates who I would trust to protect the integrity of YACoin as they take over development and work to bring the coin to the next level.  I look on with admiration each time I see the high quality work and apparently above-moderate coding skills that went into yacoinwiki.tk!

Well, I'll be on my way now so I stop "negatively affecting" the project.  So long and thanks for all the fish!

I would also like to say thank you for all your hard work and BS you had to endure.

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
August 22, 2013, 12:26:36 AM
Windmaster, I just want to say Thank You for picking this up just after the start and for all the work you've done since in making this a better coin.  It's a shame that in cyberspace no good deed goes unpunished.  But rest assured that there are far more of us who truly appreciated what you've done (albeit in a silent way) then there were unappreciative haters who for some reason feel entitled to loudly demand more free labor from you.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
August 21, 2013, 09:58:37 PM
I think the coin is in good hands, thanks for everything you've done WM. Don't mind the haters... Cheesy
Activity: 347
August 21, 2013, 08:59:13 PM
WM - I will take it over if you can't do it anymore. Either in conjunction with sairon, or solo if they are not interested. Either way, I appreciate all of the work you've done on YACoin so far and am looking forward to seeing where we can bring YAC to in the future. Let me know.

I think that'll be the best.  So, everyone, I'm going to go ahead and turn the Github repository over to Joe_Bauers.  Joe has already demonstrated an understanding of the code (just look at the commit history on the repository, he's the only one who was contributed) and I consider him trustworthy, so I'm comfortable passing the torch on to him.  At this point the YACoin client needs some good UI improvements, and Joe is a lot stronger with QT, so the future of the coin will be better in his hands.  Part of the job of being the developer on an open-source project is knowing when to get out of the way of progress.  Hey Joe, I'll catch up with you to hand off the repository password.

Some kind words from someone on yacointalk wishing me well on my departure:
Quote from: merijnk
If you take on a public project and announce it like he did, then Dont whine that you get attention and PM and feature requests. I was not impressed with his presentation from the beginning. He mentioned his coding skills as moderate. .So now im just very disapointed by the additude thath he gets discouraged with the stupid feature request. Which is,imho,only showing the coin still gets attention from the less educated, a positive thing.
One of his main reason was to keep the project development alive becouse he had some coins (from the FPGA instamine). So now that he aperantly sold those he looses interest. Very Very weak, he got no vision.  let him leave, he is negatively affecting the project with this additude. Or hopefully he is just having a blue monday.

founder and contributor of yacoinwiki
http://www.yacoinwiki.tk
please donate @
BTC 1MerynXhXJ2nBFXW9FBc6GZszfP4hU63LH
YAC YLJHSjvKLai7xGAa4a9FVpswTYYNwfFWpY

Thanks for the kind words merijnk, the feeling is mutual!  Your contributions were invaluable (especially all those git pull requests you sent!), which is why I almost added your name alongside Joe_Bauers and sairon as candidates who I would trust to protect the integrity of YACoin as they take over development and work to bring the coin to the next level.  I look on with admiration each time I see the high quality work and apparently above-moderate coding skills that went into yacoinwiki.tk!

Well, I'll be on my way now so I stop "negatively affecting" the project.  So long and thanks for all the fish!
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
August 21, 2013, 06:30:34 PM
Thanks!
Activity: 693
August 21, 2013, 11:07:51 AM
Hey sairon or Joe_Bauers (with Joe being the only one who has ever contributed code to my version of the client), want to take over my Github repository (github.com/yacoin)?  My enthusiasm for continuing development is decreasing, given the number of people that constantly send me private messages that the sky is falling if we don't immediately hard fork to change {insert random non-critical thing here that is different in YACoin than any other coin and/or doesn't work exactly how someone wants it to, or that we need to protect against hypothetical attacks that only exist in the sender's imagination due to misunderstandings of how the code works}.  My favorite is all the PM's I get demanding we hard fork to change the difficulty calculation so after Nfactor++ events, average block time won't temporarily rise from 1 minute to 2 minutes for a few days while difficulty adjusts (oh no!).

I no longer hold any appreciable amount of YAC (well, other than a few thousand laying around somewhere) and haven't for quite a while.

I'm sorry to hear this, and obviously this explains why you have been fairly quiet of late.  I thought I was helping by suggesting the difficulty adjustment in the thread - it appears to have had the opposite effect (though I still maintain it's not a horrible idea when you think about more real-time transactions)
August 21, 2013, 09:47:40 AM
IMPORTANT!
Stop using the published versions of Yacoin with Coin Control - there's a critical bug when NOT selecting a custom change address (the new change address is not reserved from keypool and thus your coins disappear forever). Fixed in recent git commit, updated binaries coming soon.
August 21, 2013, 06:26:58 AM
Also, AFAIK if you are p2pool minig and have a LOT of sub-YAC unspent inputs in your wallet (presumably at one address), they'll be grouped into one PoS transaction when you have enough of them older than 30 days AND they cummulatively exceed the 10 YAC minimum (please correct me if I'm wrong, haven't looked at the actual code for this yet).

PoS does not group anything.

I believe it does, or at least it should try to (but only coins that belong to the same address). The number of stake inputs is limited to 100, constrained by the nCombineThreshold variable (dunno what exactly this does, but it says in the comment that it's important for security reasons - however, I didn't find anything about this in PPCoin's paper). EDIT: It tries to combine inputs up to slightly over 11 YAC.

From wallet.cpp, line 1470:
Code:
    BOOST_FOREACH(PAIRTYPE(const CWalletTx*, unsigned int) pcoin, setCoins)
    {
        // Attempt to add more inputs
        // Only add coins of the same key/address as kernel
        if (txNew.vout.size() == 2 && ((pcoin.first->vout[pcoin.second].scriptPubKey == scriptPubKeyKernel || pcoin.first->vout[pcoin.second].scriptPubKey == txNew.vout[1].scriptPubKey))
            && pcoin.first->GetHash() != txNew.vin[0].prevout.hash)
        {
            // Stop adding more inputs if already too many inputs
            if (txNew.vin.size() >= 100)
                break;
            // Stop adding more inputs if value is already pretty significant
            if (nCredit > nCombineThreshold)
                break;
            // Stop adding inputs if reached reserve limit
            if (nCredit + pcoin.first->vout[pcoin.second].nValue > nBalance - nReserveBalance)
                break;
            // Do not add additional significant input
            if (pcoin.first->vout[pcoin.second].nValue > nCombineThreshold)
                continue;
            // Do not add input that is still too young
            if (pcoin.first->nTime + nStakeMaxAge > txNew.nTime)
                continue;
            txNew.vin.push_back(CTxIn(pcoin.first->GetHash(), pcoin.second));
            nCredit += pcoin.first->vout[pcoin.second].nValue;
            vwtxPrev.push_back(pcoin.first);
        }
    }

1. Why is reward distributed on two outputs?
2. Why there is additional, empty output?

1. For security reasons, apparently. https://github.com/EskimoBob/ppcoin/commit/720f007714e9f24d10a1f46726fe9f8f56163fbf
2. PoS blocks/transactions are identified by this empty coinbase output.

From main.cpp, line 2052:
Code:
    // ppcoin: only the second transaction can be the optional coinstake
    for (unsigned int i = 2; i < vtx.size(); i++)
        if (vtx[i].IsCoinStake())
            return DoS(100, error("CheckBlock() : coinstake in wrong position"));

// ppcoin: coinbase output should be empty if proof-of-stake block
    if (IsProofOfStake() && (vtx[0].vout.size() != 1 || !vtx[0].vout[0].IsEmpty()))
        return error("CheckBlock() : coinbase output not empty for proof-of-stake block");

This code also explains why there is a completely empty coinbase transaction in each PoS block, eg. http://yacexplorer.tk/tx/b358e9983a3387ce7993d8757e6be6c4a10613cf69de039194f7237307a92d96 in block http://yacexplorer.tk/block/a781207353e5a8b30c3a271ad135361ecdeb3bc9e7a5b5c5319b4242d32d0f06

Also, wallet unlocking for PoS minting is bugged (inherited from NVC which inherited it from PPC) as explained bellow:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2013737

Looks like this still has not been fixed in PPC: https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/issues/16

Hey sairon or Joe_Bauers (with Joe being the only one who has ever contributed code to my version of the client), want to take over my Github repository (github.com/yacoin)?  

@WM: Too bad you're leaving us. Sad Thanks for all you've done for this coin.
@Joe: You've commited better code to the project, so you should keep that repo (it's better security-wise IMHO). I'm comfortable working in my own dev tree and sending pull requests when I finally manage to fix something.
Activity: 637
August 21, 2013, 02:26:50 AM
AFAIK, No one but @sairon is working on the YAC wallet (awesome work with the coin control feature btw).
Behind adding checkpoints (on the @Windmaster fork), nothing else has been done on the client since the official release.
Umm, I think there are somewhat more changes in my fork than just adding checkpoints..  See if you can get the original official release to compile on Windows, and if you succeed (without replacing all the scrypt-jane library source with a newer version altogether), also keep score on how many times you see unchanged "Novacoin" and "NVC" text plastered all over the original client.  Or try to get an estimate of the network hash rate out of the original client, or find out the current N or Nfactor without looking up the time-vs-N table I generated (and everyone else reposted in various places).
I forgot about all the new API calls, you put a nice amount of work on the original client. My apologies.
GCVMMWH
August 20, 2013, 09:59:20 PM

Hey sairon or Joe_Bauers (with Joe being the only one who has ever contributed code to my version of the client), want to take over my Github repository (github.com/yacoin)?  

August 20, 2013, 06:35:39 PM
I no longer hold any appreciable amount of YAC (well, other than a few thousand laying around somewhere) and haven't for quite a while.
That's definitely something I don't like to hear.

Why did you decide to sell your coins? As far as I recall you missed the lauch but bought significant ammounts later on. I understand that people can be anoying, but that'd be no reason for me to be not invested yourself. Maybe I'm overvaluing YACs features, but I still see them far better than some altcoins with a far higher marketcap. A nicer GUI, some minor fixes and Yac is good to go, or am I missing something important here?

Nevertheless loosing the main developer (again) will be a big hit to it.
Jump to: