Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread - page 3. (Read 20065 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
So just a quick rant - I bought 6 antminer s4+  on release day.  I bought 2 more a few weeks later.  I am having an issue with one of them, so I did the usual thing and sent Bitmain an email.  One board is not hashing - all x's and it crashes all the time...

I just received an email from Bitmain saying - check all the connections...but if its a hash board they are only 30 day warranty!!!  WTF???  When did that change?  All the s4's I bought - yes A LOT!  All had at least 90 day warranty.  So I am writing to let everyone know of this NEW running change with no notification *(at least that I was aware of)  So if you are on the fence if you should buy this one or another one.  Make sure you know the warranty before!  It's honestly a shame - as they took great care of me with the s4's and s5's previously!

Rant over...

AJ702 Huh Huh
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
All of bitmain's hardware comes configured with their pool info, mining for them. If your first unit didn't, it was the exception the the rule.

It makes sense, removes a potential variable if something isn't working. I leave my miner details when I send anyone hardware, so 1) I know when the hardware was turned on, 2) that I know it works on arrival and 3) so the customer knows its good.

I do too. When I see a blip on nicehash, I know everything's OK.

I do aswell, part of it is I hope they pick same pools as I know it's configured right as far as url and port.  One of the biggest things I do is make sure to include IP address on a piece of paper when I sell a piece of gear.  

I write a little quick start guide and it almost always saved me from having to mess around with helping set it up.   I only had once with a completely new miner that I had to put in a hour or so to get it to work on their network.

Just set the rig to DHCP before shipping out. If they're too dumb to get it going, I probably won't waste my time helping them.
legendary
Activity: 1456
All of bitmain's hardware comes configured with their pool info, mining for them. If your first unit didn't, it was the exception the the rule.

It makes sense, removes a potential variable if something isn't working. I leave my miner details when I send anyone hardware, so 1) I know when the hardware was turned on, 2) that I know it works on arrival and 3) so the customer knows its good.

I do aswell, part of it is I hope they pick same pools as I know it's configured right as far as url and port.  One of the biggest things I do is make sure to include IP address on a piece of paper when I sell a piece of gear.   

I write a little quick start guide and it almost always saved me from having to mess around with helping set it up.   I only had once with a completely new miner that I had to put in a hour or so to get it to work on their network.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1456
And price was raised: Price:       1170 USD ( 3.927 BTC )

I hope they are speculating BTC will continue to rise with this.  Who knows.

*Also I should say for lack of a better term "I have no dog in this fight".  I'm not here to lecture Bitmain on how to price items, or start argument.  Just stating how it did go up to document price as of right now.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
I understand the S4+ has some power mods to make it more power efficient than a S4. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the freq settings in the S4+

See the S4+ guide in my sig or #2 post in this thread, there is a full frequency, hash rate, power consumption and temperature graph.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Activity: 676
Merit: 501
Hi all,

I understand the S4+ has some power mods to make it more power efficient than a S4. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the freq settings in the S4+

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So in the S4 main freq settings i use are

100 = 1000gh at unsure power after removal of underclocking..

125 = 1250gh --- u get the picture

150 = 1500gh --- u get the picture

175 = 1750gh ---u get the picture

200 = 2000gh @ 1440w

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone tell me how many chips are in the S4+, what the stock freq is for 2570gh @ 1480w & what other freqs are available & has under / over volting been removed?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My ultimate goal here is to work out what the lowest clock & volt are @ how many watts at the wall & if the S4 & the S4+ are essentially the same unit with exceptions on the power supply, how many chips are in the unit & stock voltage, What we & BITMAIN can do to translate these settings over to the S4 so we can give this puppy a bit more life...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note - what are the differences in the firmwares for the S4 & S4+??

And (Beware this is not a dare) has anyone tried (Or mistakenly) installed the S4+ firmware on an S4 & if so what was the outcome (Good or bad?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

On another really side note does anyone know Smit who did the fan mod for the S4 in the begining?? Maybe he could answer a few of the questions i posed here??
legendary
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
I just wanted to give little positive feedback .

I ordered 2 x S4+ on Friday 3rd at 16:00 Hrs.. I paid 8.053 BTC in total including UPS shipping to the UK.
They've arrived this afternoon at noon on the 8th .. Very impressed with payment to mining time.

Straight out of the box, plugged the 1st unit in, configured a new password and it's up and running at 2,582 . I guess most importantly all the ASIC chips read 'o' so nothings broken on arrival ..

So far so good.. Time to get the 2nd miner out.

Only thing that made me raise an eyebrow was that out of the box they're configure to start mining in the antpool for them.. While i was getting sorted i heard the miner fire up . I do wonder how many units are out there in default config mining for them.
Activity: 14
sure, whatever floats your boat i guess.  i on the other hand don't like replacing dead psu's or the risk of fire hazards.

emailed Bitmain tech support and gotten the following response:

It contains wrong information unfortunately. Some of the support staff are very good, others it seems don't have much actual mining experience.

Most commercial farms will run between 30 and 35C ambient and I've done very extended tests on all Bitmain equipment at 40-45C. Only the S4+ doesn't like those temps but its still within specifications. 65C is on the cool side for an S4+ and they're specified for 90+.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

It contains wrong information unfortunately. Some of the support staff are very good, others it seems don't have much actual mining experience.

Most commercial farms will run between 30 and 35C ambient and I've done very extended tests on all Bitmain equipment at 40-45C. Only the S4+ doesn't like those temps but its still within specifications. 65C is on the cool side for an S4+ and they're specified for 90+.

Bitmain (Bitmain_D)

Jul 3, 14:22

Hello sir,
first of all your room temperature is a really high.

can you lower it to 25C?

since any unit that you have will die on 32c.
no matter how ventilated area is.

i would not suggest you units to go over 65C.

and if it is possible, just to extend their lives, can you turn them off for 2 hours during hottest time of day?
they will last longer.

we do not see a reason for replacing working units.

best regards,
Bitmain_Z
legendary
dogiecoin.com
i'm sure the chips themselves are, not too worried about those, but what about other components on the board? wiring?

after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

The limit already was 95C (as it should be, these chips are resilient), the text was incorrect before.

Specified appropriately.
i'm sure the chips themselves are, not too worried about those, but what about other components on the board? wiring?

after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

The limit already was 95C (as it should be, these chips are resilient), the text was incorrect before.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

i just received 3 units, i had ordered from DHgate.  in the process of testing them, i found out that the problem with them is due to a factory default cgminer setting "api-allow" that is set to accept commands from "W:0/0".  what i did is i ssh'd in and manually configured the setting to "W:127.0.0.1,W:192.168.1.0/24".  i wasn't sure which of the files were responsible, so i changed all that i can find, in /etc and /config. this is also a good time to change queue to 1 instead of the factory 8192.

2 of the s4+'s are exhibiting hotter temperature, 6C hotter than yours.  the one normal acting one is at 70C/71C, which i'm not worried about.  i am in contact with bitmain support about this and hopefully they can help me resolve this problem.  i'm squeamish about opening them up and readjusting heatsink/reapplying thermal paste, hopefully i can get RMA units sent to me instead.  

also, has anyone updated their firmware to s4p_20150518?  after updating the option to halt units at 80C has been changed to 95C!  i think this is a bit dangerous as i'm concerned about other components in the unit being able to operate safely at this kind of heat level. anyone care to chime in on this?

http://i.imgur.com/BGGU8pn.png

btw: it would be great if it was possible to restrict ui access, I only want the miner to be accessible from one (or more) ips... would appreciate if bitmain tech could add this feature in a future firmware upgrade Smiley

Well, it happened! All of my S4+ (6 in total) have been hijacked...

http://i.imgur.com/MKLHdlL.png

I have different passwords for each device, and they are bulletproof... I've read some posts here and it seems that the developers of cgminer have reported that this will happend to bitmaintech but they didn't care... Even KNC Miner Neptune can restrict access to specific IPs... Seems like the only solution is to put the devices behind a firewall, which is a bit annoying, as the solution would be so easy!

Why can I not access the device by ssh and adjust cgminer api? It keeps telling me access denied (on all devices), altough password is correct for sure... Is there some kinda default user/password for ssh?

Thanks for your help
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I have the spades, that's the problem.  Undecided

I send bitmain tech an email already and they told me that they reply soon regarding the PSU.

Okay. Worst comes to the worst you may have to make your own cables with something like a DPS-2000. Get some nice 12AWG cables, a crimper and some space connections and you'd be good to go.

I'm interested to your suggestion but I have no idea on how to do it, if you can help me or show me how to do it.

DPS2000 + breakout board that converts gold finger to cables = https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/price-reduced-dps-2000bb-2000w-server-psu-interface-board-637595
Get some 12 AWG wiring online + spade connectors. You could even cut them off the current PSU if you were desperate.
+Get some 40-60mm fans to cool the PSU, they don't come with them.
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
Kupla Kudos Coming Ur Way!

I send bitmain tech an email already and they told me that they reply soon regarding the PSU.

Okay. Worst comes to the worst you may have to make your own cables with something like a DPS-2000. Get some nice 12AWG cables, a crimper and some space connections and you'd be good to go.

I'm interested to your suggestion but I have no idea on how to do it, if you can help me or show me how to do it.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Pages:
Jump to: