Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread - page 7. (Read 20065 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
I'll fill a rack with s4+ and see how it goes Smiley
I will do the same as you, we will publish results soon Smiley
Activity: 689
Merit: 260
I'll fill a rack with s4+ and see how it goes Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Why not? If you want to put such gear in a datacenter, you wont rent rackspace..

But yes, 77kw is a lot and you might won't fill that rack completely.

It's a awful lot of PDU's in one rackspace.  And a lot of electricity.   A lot of the "asic" data centers are shelves so does not really matter.

I think very few overall are put in traditional data centers. 
Why not? If you want to put such gear in a datacenter, you wont rent rackspace..

But yes, 77kw is a lot and you might won't fill that rack completely.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
So as a business man, I would always go with the SP35, unfortunatley you can't get them anymore... So I need to go with the S4+, which is not so bad neither, but the device should be 2 U to make more profitable.

Everyone is screaming for Hashrate/Watts and Hashrate per USD, but you if you want to scale big, these are not the only things to take care of...

In your own comparison the S4+ is lower $/GH and W/GH, with your only gripe being you can't put 77Kw in a single rack. In what sort of facility are you going to be limited on foot print before 77KW per rack?
I just bought one to have a look at it and play around, might test that, too. I like the fact that you (normally^^) don't have to mess around with psu's.. For now it looks ok, as Spondoolies seems not to sell at the moment, I will get some more of those S4+  Smiley

Will post another pic when it's a bit higher.

I dont know about that seems some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block. Technically I don't know how that works but they base it of experience. Maybe the reliability or better quality with less defects reason but you could bash this statement all you want with every hash has equal chance but I'm leaving this open ended.

If you just want some TH, it doesn't matter, but if you want to scale big, Spoondolies is (my personal opinion) way in front.

If you compare a SP35 with a S4+ :

S4+SP35
Hashrate (GH/s)25705500
Power consumption14803650
Height3 U2 U
Price (USD)9462235

so far, so good. This results in...

S4+SP35
GH / USD2.72.4
Watts / GH0.570.66
Units / Rack (42U)1421
Hashrate / Rack35.98 TH/s115.5 TH/s

As you see, if you are looking for a device to generate some Hashrate, go with the S4+, but if you want to scale it big, the SP35 is the better choice. Of course it costs a bit more... Of course there is some more power consumption... But if you scale big, power will be much cheaper... Then it's all about the space you need to generate as much Hashrate as possible.

So, with one Rack I can make (let's say power costs are 5 cents)..:

S4+SP35
Income (USD)27108702
Power Costs (USD)7452759
Profit (USD)19655943

So, a rack is about 1m2. If you are a business man and also have to pay for a room an racks, do you want to make USD 1965 per m2 or do you want to make USD 5943 per m2Wink

The 21 SP35 in a rack will cost 46935, so (if you don't consider other costs) you will need 8 months to pay them... But then, you make the big money...
While the 14 S4+ will pay off after 7 months, but you make less money in a room that is even 3 times as big as the one you need for the SP35.

So as a business man, I would always go with the SP35, unfortunatley you can't get them anymore... So I need to go with the S4+, which is not so bad neither, but the device should be 2 U to make more profitable.

Everyone is screaming for Hashrate/Watts and Hashrate per USD, but you if you want to scale big, these are not the only things to take care of...

BTW: some offtopic... how long does it take to not be a newbie anymore? I already get some pms and can only response every 6 minutes, which is very annoying...
legendary
I just bought one to have a look at it and play around, might test that, too. I like the fact that you (normally^^) don't have to mess around with psu's.. For now it looks ok, as Spondoolies seems not to sell at the moment, I will get some more of those S4+  Smiley

I dont know about that seems some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block. Technically I don't know how that works but they base it of experience. Maybe the reliability or better quality with less defects reason but you could bash this statement all you want with every hash has equal chance but I'm leaving this open ended.

As long as the hash is the same, the chance is the same.   Brand of machine does not make a difference of finding a block.

This assumes the machine does not have a problem, I guess you could have high latency or bad firmware that could cause it.  But Bitmain and SP gear both don't have firmware that can find blocks.

Can you point to where you read about "some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block"?
hearsay among peers but unified with respects to there machines no official results 

Can you point to thread or article?  I just had not heard this and would be interested in reading it.
Activity: 213
Merit: 100

As long as the hash is the same, the chance is the same.   Brand of machine does not make a difference of finding a block.

This assumes the machine does not have a problem, I guess you could have high latency or bad firmware that could cause it.  But Bitmain and SP gear both don't have firmware that can find blocks.

Can you point to where you read about "some people are crediting Spondoolies with a better chance at finding a block"?
hearsay among peers but unified with respects to there machines no official results 
legendary

I am curious to know. What is the "normal" temp while hashing for this S4+ ? I can't find this information.

See the graph in https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-dogies-comprehensive-bitmain-antminer-s4-setup-hd-1035629. 70-80C is considered normal for S4s, cutoff is 95C.
WOW crazy amounts of heat!
of course I changed the password. Each miner has a public ip, it's just simpler in a datacenter environment. So for me this feature would be a huge benefit.
legendary
btw: it would be great if it was possible to restrict ui access, I only want the miner to be accessible from one (or more) ips... would appreciate if bitmain tech could add this feature in a future firmware upgrade Smiley

I think changing the password works just as good.  I would do that in mean time.

I could see a point to your suggestion, although I think it is something very few would use.
btw: it would be great if it was possible to restrict ui access, I only want the miner to be accessible from one (or more) ips... would appreciate if bitmain tech could add this feature in a future firmware upgrade Smiley

legendary
dogiecoin.com
I am curious to know. What is the "normal" temp while hashing for this S4+ ? I can't find this information.

printscreen with temparature right now, it's running in our datacenter.

Oh nice, you could slap on 225 reasonably easily then as W/GH goes up nearly linearly. [Note that's near the limit of the PSU, and WILL void your warranty].

printscreen with temparature right now, it's running in our datacenter.

legendary
dogiecoin.com

See the graph in https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guide-dogies-comprehensive-bitmain-antminer-s4-setup-hd-1035629. 70-80C is considered normal for S4s, cutoff is 95C.
Activity: 204
Merit: 101
That doesn't doo anything, but it the splitter could have done worse damage.. Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: