Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread - page 8. (Read 20065 times)

legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
First of all, sorry for the large pictures..  Grin

Alright, opened it up and I am a bit shocked about build quality...

Spare (sharp) aluminium parts lyhing around in middle of the cables...

So I did some messuring, definately an issue with the PSU. I opened it up and and it was clear why it's not working...

I mean, really!?

Fixed the cable, no it's working... Actually things like that can be dangerous...

Wow, lucky it's didn't explode or damage the miner  Grin
The 12VDC is short to ground.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
First of all, sorry for the large pictures..  Grin

In the future you can post small pictures with the below code:

Code:
[url=http://imgur.com/MlA9emz][img width=400]http://i.imgur.com/MlA9emz.jpg[/img][/url]

Example:
Activity: 461
Merit: 250
Sure if it is priced reasonably...
Activity: 507
Merit: 500
For anyone that cares I will be offering a S4/S4+ Water block, and Kit in the coming weeks I just need to get the engineering sample.

Let me know if anyone wants in I'll have 100% pricing with in 2 weeks.
Activity: 689
Merit: 260
First of all, sorry for the large pictures..  Grin

Alright, opened it up and I am a bit shocked about build quality...

Spare (sharp) aluminium parts lyhing around in middle of the cables...

So I did some messuring, definately an issue with the PSU. I opened it up and and it was clear why it's not working...

I mean, really!?

Fixed the cable, no it's working... Actually things like that can be dangerous...
Power is all fine, can connect it to servers and they immediately power up. Will open it and have a look at it as soon as I am back at the datacenter. Thanks! Smiley
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Got a S4+ today, new in box. But it doesn't power up (no leds flashing, no fans, nothing)... I am in Switzerland, so it's 220V and they say it should work if higher than 205V....

Any suggestions?

Thanks Smiley

Try to open the case & tighten all of cable connection  Smiley

From the PSU guide for no PSU fan and no output:

1.   Make sure the AC input wire has a good connection and the plugs are connected firmly
2.   Make sure the mains power is working well and its voltage is above 205V.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Got a S4+ today, new in box. But it doesn't power up (no leds flashing, no fans, nothing)... I am in Switzerland, so it's 220V and they say it should work if higher than 205V....

Any suggestions?

Thanks Smiley

Try to open the case & tighten all of cable connection  Smiley

Any suggestions?

Thanks Smiley
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
The included PSU cannot be used in countries with a mains power voltage lower than 205V. The PSU will not start below this voltage.

Does this mean a Home in the USA can not use this as its only 110 service?
That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

Aren't American Dryers 220v?
Good luck convincing the little lady that she's got to hang your clothes out to dry because you're replacing her dryer with some miners Tongue.

Electric Stove is also 220... Whats the connectors for 220v to the back of a S4+??? L6-30P to C13 Right?
Yes, so you might soften the blow by telling her she no longer needs to cook anything.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

How many amps is a 1500w Miner going to pull on a 220/240v Circuit?? my math says like 6.25... thats nothing

(meaning I can safely run 3 S4+ on a single 20A 220)

If your house is wired with 12 gauge wire and you are using 120 volts on a 20 amp breaker you should be pushing about 1900 watts on that circuit
@ 240 volts on the same set up about 3800 watts
Do not use 14 guage wire for this set up if the breaker doesn't go you will burn down you house and electrical fires are harder to put out.
6.82A on 220v 6.25A on 240v and 7.21A on 208v(common 3-phase commercial voltage in the US).

Basically for any circuit you don't want to be above 80% load, so you could calculate the useable watts on a circuit by multiplying circuit breaker amps times the line voltage times .8 .

If you are pushing a circuit close to capacity you should make sure you know the voltage is correct as there is a difference in available watts between the voltages, for example on a 30 amp circuit with 3 S4+'s you would have 492 watts left over at 208v 780 watts left over at 220v and 1260 watts left over at 240v using a standard 80% load calculation.

correct sir thats why when i posted the wattage i post marginally below 80% so there would be no surprises.  Lips sealed
Activity: 261
Merit: 257
The included PSU cannot be used in countries with a mains power voltage lower than 205V. The PSU will not start below this voltage.

Does this mean a Home in the USA can not use this as its only 110 service?
That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

Aren't American Dryers 220v?
Good luck convincing the little lady that she's got to hang your clothes out to dry because you're replacing her dryer with some miners Tongue.

Electric Stove is also 220... Whats the connectors for 220v to the back of a S4+??? L6-30P to C13 Right?
Yes, so you might soften the blow by telling her she no longer needs to cook anything.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

How many amps is a 1500w Miner going to pull on a 220/240v Circuit?? my math says like 6.25... thats nothing

(meaning I can safely run 3 S4+ on a single 20A 220)

If your house is wired with 12 gauge wire and you are using 120 volts on a 20 amp breaker you should be pushing about 1900 watts on that circuit
@ 240 volts on the same set up about 3800 watts
Do not use 14 guage wire for this set up if the breaker doesn't go you will burn down you house and electrical fires are harder to put out.
6.82A on 220v 6.25A on 240v and 7.21A on 208v(common 3-phase commercial voltage in the US).

Basically for any circuit you don't want to be above 80% load, so you could calculate the useable watts on a circuit by multiplying circuit breaker amps times the line voltage times .8 .

If you are pushing a circuit close to capacity you should make sure you know the voltage is correct as there is a difference in available watts between the voltages, for example on a 30 amp circuit with 3 S4+'s you would have 492 watts left over at 208v 780 watts left over at 220v and 1260 watts left over at 240v using a standard 80% load calculation.
legendary
Activity: 1456
If you have no insulation I would not run a miner for anything.   I live in a farm house over 100 years old, it has went through a few redoing of electricity wiring to make it safe.   There have been at least 2 huge jobs or 3 depending on if you count when a new addition was added.

You can get a receptacle tester to will show some common wiring problems: http://www.amazon.com/GE-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA/  If you don't pass this I would not mine.

I won't get anymore off topic if you don't know your wiring and are on 110 hire a electrician to be safe when dealing with amount of watts such as S4+.  As it was designed for 220/240 and that assumes proper wiring.
To keep it on topic, the S4+ won't even power up on 110V, so the entire discussion is pretty much rendered useless Wink.  You need to throw these onto a 240V circuit, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread pretty much eliminates the vast majority of typical US households... unless you convince your better half to allow you to throw out the electric dryer and range in lieu of mining equipment Tongue

Or have an additional dedicated mining circuit wired up, which a lot of people do.
Yea i dont know about a lot of people but they are right why make something that requires a 240V. On top of that the price is ridiculous if you have to upgrade and dedicate a whole circuit to a miner that costs even more. When do you start to see an investment on your return is the whole point of this game.What i dont understand is why wont it fire up on 120v if the circuit has enough to power for the miner. Is there a biult-in kill switch which requires 240v for override.
(120v @ 20amp = 3800 watts) Enough juice for two miners
Seems like this one is going to end up in there mine.

I personally think 240 is the way to go.  I am happy they did.  It makes future releases possible to have a LOT more hash.  A lot of miners have put a 220/240 in, its just something that is necessary with some miners.   

120 you need to be careful.  Depending on amps of breaker it is possible on 120.... but if you dont know your wiring there could be a big problem.   I dont think going 120/110 is best thing to do.  Hire someone or put in 240 yourself.   (Some places have requirements where you need a electrician to do it)
legendary
Activity: 1596
If you have no insulation I would not run a miner for anything.   I live in a farm house over 100 years old, it has went through a few redoing of electricity wiring to make it safe.   There have been at least 2 huge jobs or 3 depending on if you count when a new addition was added.

You can get a receptacle tester to will show some common wiring problems: http://www.amazon.com/GE-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA/  If you don't pass this I would not mine.

I won't get anymore off topic if you don't know your wiring and are on 110 hire a electrician to be safe when dealing with amount of watts such as S4+.  As it was designed for 220/240 and that assumes proper wiring.
To keep it on topic, the S4+ won't even power up on 110V, so the entire discussion is pretty much rendered useless Wink.  You need to throw these onto a 240V circuit, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread pretty much eliminates the vast majority of typical US households... unless you convince your better half to allow you to throw out the electric dryer and range in lieu of mining equipment Tongue

Or have an additional dedicated mining circuit wired up, which a lot of people do.
Yea i dont know about a lot of people but they are right why make something that requires a 240V. On top of that the price is ridiculous if you have to upgrade and dedicate a whole circuit to a miner that costs even more. When do you start to see an investment on your return is the whole point of this game.What i dont understand is why wont it fire up on 120v if the circuit has enough to power for the miner. Is there a biult-in kill switch which requires 240v for override.

I don't know how you figured 120 * 20 = 3800, but it doesn't. 120 * 20 = 2400 * 0.80 = 1920w usable.

Most people will not have 20A circuits, 15A is the standard:

120 * 15 = 1800 * 0.80 = 1440w usable.

You need 240V for these large machines. No getting around it. 240V is much easier on a PSU vs 120V.

Why the hell would anyone want to mine on 120V anyways? Takes 30 minutes to make a 240V circuit, less if you're converting an existing 120V line to 240V. Mining on 120V is for plebs.
legendary
Is this ok miner to start with?   Or too big for a newbie?

I would first ask what your electricity price is?  That will determine a lot.   I use this to tell people if they should get new or used.  For most it is new but if .05 or less used comes in nice sometimes.

Also do you have 110 or 220/240?  This miner was not made in mind for 110.   Some have done it.... but in my head it's risky to do.

Just let us know more info and we can help more.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Is this ok miner to start with?   Or too big for a newbie?
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
If you have no insulation I would not run a miner for anything.   I live in a farm house over 100 years old, it has went through a few redoing of electricity wiring to make it safe.   There have been at least 2 huge jobs or 3 depending on if you count when a new addition was added.

You can get a receptacle tester to will show some common wiring problems: http://www.amazon.com/GE-3-Wire-Receptacle-Tester-50542/dp/B002LZTKIA/  If you don't pass this I would not mine.

I won't get anymore off topic if you don't know your wiring and are on 110 hire a electrician to be safe when dealing with amount of watts such as S4+.  As it was designed for 220/240 and that assumes proper wiring.
To keep it on topic, the S4+ won't even power up on 110V, so the entire discussion is pretty much rendered useless Wink.  You need to throw these onto a 240V circuit, which as I mentioned earlier in the thread pretty much eliminates the vast majority of typical US households... unless you convince your better half to allow you to throw out the electric dryer and range in lieu of mining equipment Tongue

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool

Yes, anybody who is going to dedicate themselves to mining is going to wire up service exclusively for it... and anybody with half a brain is not going to wire up 120V for the purpose Smiley.  My point, which has remained consistent, is that the S4+ is not a "home" miner, like every other Bitmain product has been - at least for homes using 100V to 120V power (like the US, Canada, Japan, etc).
legendary
dogiecoin.com

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool

legendary
My worry is that most of the outer insulation on those wires has worn down over the years with such a high load it could cause bad things to happen even though the old wiring may be capable of handling it?

I cannot speak for all old wiring.  I recently did some wiring for bitcoin miners in a new place.  And had some grey wire from the 90's.   It was in a box about 3/4 of it still there.

This grey 12-2 i a LOT thicker insulation then the yellow stuff.  I used both and either worked fine.  But granted this grey wire was not being activly used since 90's.  But it had set in a garage.   It is pretty amazing in you ever get the chance to compare the grey 12-2 and yellow 12-2.  The grey is FAR more substantial on all insulation (and a heck of a pain to strip).   Needless to say it is good wire.

But yes I would be worried about unknown wire when running  a S4+ on 110.

*Edited post as chain was very long read above for back story.
I agree as long as there is insulation still on it it's good. I'm worried about the wires where the insulation is falling of or warn to the copper typical of old houses and the black wire is the one i would watch out for because it tends to be the one worn. I havent ran into many grey wiring. I ran into houses which had no insulation what so ever on them but you would see that when you go into the basement and two large copper wires held up by wood pools. That was before insulation though. a good sign is if you have fuses beware. lol A striped wire may not cause much damage but if it runs close to another striped wire or if you are doing some remodeling banging in nails or pulling high voltage you could do some damage to your property or yourself. Too much on this topic way of track now.

Pages:
Jump to: