Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S4+ Discussion and Support Thread - page 9. (Read 20065 times)

Activity: 213
Merit: 100
My worry is that most of the outer insulation on those wires has worn down over the years with such a high load it could cause bad things to happen even though the old wiring may be capable of handling it?

I cannot speak for all old wiring.  I recently did some wiring for bitcoin miners in a new place.  And had some grey wire from the 90's.   It was in a box about 3/4 of it still there.

This grey 12-2 i a LOT thicker insulation then the yellow stuff.  I used both and either worked fine.  But granted this grey wire was not being activly used since 90's.  But it had set in a garage.   It is pretty amazing in you ever get the chance to compare the grey 12-2 and yellow 12-2.  The grey is FAR more substantial on all insulation (and a heck of a pain to strip).   Needless to say it is good wire.

But yes I would be worried about unknown wire when running  a S4+ on 110.

*Edited post as chain was very long read above for back story.
I agree as long as there is insulation still on it it's good. I'm worried about the wires where the insulation is falling of or warn to the copper typical of old houses and the black wire is the one i would watch out for because it tends to be the one worn. I havent ran into many grey wiring. I ran into houses which had no insulation what so ever on them but you would see that when you go into the basement and two large copper wires held up by wood pools. That was before insulation though. a good sign is if you have fuses beware. lol A striped wire may not cause much damage but if it runs close to another striped wire or if you are doing some remodeling banging in nails or pulling high voltage you could do some damage to your property or yourself. Too much on this topic way of track now.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
My worry is that most of the outer insulation on those wires has worn down over the years with such a high load it could cause bad things to happen even though the old wiring may be capable of handling it?

I cannot speak for all old wiring.  I recently did some wiring for bitcoin miners in a new place.  And had some grey wire from the 90's.   It was in a box about 3/4 of it still there.

This grey 12-2 i a LOT thicker insulation then the yellow stuff.  I used both and either worked fine.  But granted this grey wire was not being activly used since 90's.  But it had set in a garage.   It is pretty amazing in you ever get the chance to compare the grey 12-2 and yellow 12-2.  The grey is FAR more substantial on all insulation (and a heck of a pain to strip).   Needless to say it is good wire.

But yes I would be worried about unknown wire when running  a S4+ on 110.

*Edited post as chain was very long read above for back story.
The included PSU cannot be used in countries with a mains power voltage lower than 205V. The PSU will not start below this voltage.

Does this mean a Home in the USA can not use this as its only 110 service?
That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

Aren't American Dryers 220v?
Good luck convincing the little lady that she's got to hang your clothes out to dry because you're replacing her dryer with some miners Tongue.

Electric Stove is also 220... Whats the connectors for 220v to the back of a S4+??? L6-30P to C13 Right?
Yes, so you might soften the blow by telling her she no longer needs to cook anything.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

How many amps is a 1500w Miner going to pull on a 220/240v Circuit?? my math says like 6.25... thats nothing

(meaning I can safely run 3 S4+ on a single 20A 220)

If your house is wired with 12 gauge wire and you are using 120 volts on a 20 amp breaker you should be pushing about 1900 watts on that circuit. If you have nothing major plugged in this circuit it should be good minimal requirement.
@ 240 volts on the same set up about 3800 watts
Do not use 14 guage wire for this set up if the breaker doesn't go you will burn down you house and electrical fires are harder to put out.

It will be pushing the circuit a lot, but yes it would probley run.  I doubt most people know if they have 12 gauge is the scary part.  A lot if think this might just plug it in.... wire gets hot... bad things could happen.

As a general rule I would say its safer to stick with a regular 220/240 line with 10 gauge wire for this miner.

It's easy to check. Hit the breaker unscrew outlet pull out wire till you could read it straight from the wire. If it's and black wire that looks old don't try it. The wire your looking for tends to come in white or yellow but be sure to read gauge on it to make sure. Also make sure power is out in the socket before pulling it out. You can do that by plugging something in and when you hit the brake it wont turn on. Those loads are at 80% output mentioned above. I didnt want to say 100% max output because people could get the wrong impression that they could use the whole load. And unusually if you have a 20 amp properly installed it has a 12 gauge or thicker wire running to it.  So if it is a 1500w miner it should run no problem. Wow i just read  this. Unless it does have a L6-30P plug. Wow does it really?

Ok it doesn't. 30 amp is over kill for this but do as you will and if you use 30 amp use correct gauge wire. .

If it is a little older house cable depending on age of house could be grey.  It was popular during 90's on 12-2.  You can feel it being stiff compared to yellow new stuff.  

I suggest reading on it.   Hopefully it says 12-2 or something to that effect on wire.

legendary
The included PSU cannot be used in countries with a mains power voltage lower than 205V. The PSU will not start below this voltage.

That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

Good luck convincing the little lady that she's got to hang your clothes out to dry because you're replacing her dryer with some miners Tongue.

Electric Stove is also 220... Whats the connectors for 220v to the back of a S4+??? L6-30P to C13 Right?
Yes, so you might soften the blow by telling her she no longer needs to cook anything.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

How many amps is a 1500w Miner going to pull on a 220/240v Circuit?? my math says like 6.25... thats nothing

If your house is wired with 12 gauge wire and you are using 120 volts on a 20 amp breaker you should be pushing about 1900 watts on that circuit. If you have nothing major plugged in this circuit it should be good minimal requirement.
Do not use 14 guage wire for this set up if the breaker doesn't go you will burn down you house and electrical fires are harder to put out.

It will be pushing the circuit a lot, but yes it would probley run.  I doubt most people know if they have 12 gauge is the scary part.  A lot if think this might just plug it in.... wire gets hot... bad things could happen.

As a general rule I would say its safer to stick with a regular 220/240 line with 10 gauge wire for this miner.

It's easy to check. Hit the breaker unscrew outlet pull out wire till you could read it straight from the wire. If it's and black wire that looks old don't try it. The wire your looking for tends to come in white or yellow but be sure to read gauge on it to make sure. Also make sure power is out in the socket before pulling it out. You can do that by plugging something in and when you hit the brake it wont turn on. Those loads are at 80% output mentioned above. I didnt want to say 100% max output because people could get the wrong impression that they could use the whole load. And unusually if you have a 20 amp properly installed it has a 12 gauge or thicker wire running to it.  So if it is a 1500w miner it should run no problem. Wow i just read  this. Unless it does have a L6-30P plug. Wow does it really?

Ok it doesn't. 30 amp is over kill for this but do as you will and if you use 30 amp use correct gauge wire. .

If it is a little older house cable depending on age of house could be grey.  It was popular during 90's on 12-2.  You can feel it being stiff compared to yellow new stuff.  

I suggest reading on it.   Hopefully it says 12-2 or something to that effect on wire.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
A question or two.

First any coupons on these?
Second what does an underclock get you?

Does anyone try this at 2200gh or 2300gh?

Doge has his chart its not bad running ay 2th

I have a full frequency range graph in my guide. Its almost perfectly linear power consumption going down due to the fixed voltage. Going up there's not enough thermal headroom for most people, and after 225 you have to start considering the PSU.

So it is not able to change freq + volts  just freq?

Correct, its string design = fixed off input voltage = ~12V / chips in string.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
A question or two.

I have a full frequency range graph in my guide. Its almost perfectly linear power consumption going down due to the fixed voltage. Going up there's not enough thermal headroom for most people, and after 225 you have to start considering the PSU.

So it is not able to change freq + volts  just freq?

That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

It will be pushing the circuit a lot, but yes it would probley run.  I doubt most people know if they have 12 gauge is the scary part.  A lot if think this might just plug it in.... wire gets hot... bad things could happen.

It's easy to check. Hit the breaker unscrew outlet pull out wire till you could read it straight from the wire. If it's and black wire that looks old don't try it. The wire your looking for tends to come in white or yellow but be sure to read gauge on it to make sure. Also make sure power is out in the socket before pulling it out. You can do that by plugging something in and when you hit the brake it wont turn on. Those loads are at 80% output mentioned above. I didnt want to say 100% max output because people could get the wrong impression that they could use the whole load. And unusually if you have a 20 amp properly installed it has a 12 gauge or thicker wire running to it.  So if it is a 1500w miner it should run no problem. Wow i just read  this. Unless it does have a L6-30P plug. Wow does it really?

legendary

That's exactly what it means.  Unless you've got your home wired with some double pole breakers that'll give you the 240V, this product is not for you.

The point is, the double pole breakers you've already got in your panel are already being used for other purposes: stove/range, dryer, central AC, etc.  Virtually every other circuit you've got in your box is a standard 120V single pole.  To use an S4+ at home, you're either going to have to do something silly like replace your appliances with miners or install a dedicated circuit or two (and likely get your total amperage increased to handle the additional load).

If your house is wired with 12 gauge wire and you are using 120 volts on a 20 amp breaker you should be pushing about 1900 watts on that circuit

It will be pushing the circuit a lot, but yes it would probley run.  I doubt most people know if they have 12 gauge is the scary part.  A lot if think this might just plug it in.... wire gets hot... bad things could happen.

If your house is wired with 12 gauge wire and you are using 120 volts on a 20 amp breaker you should be pushing about 1900 watts on that circuit
I am curious about it, so I'll get one soon. Looking forward to test it... Not sure if it's as bad as everyone thinks, used in the right environment.

One post and happens to be on here? Caught red handed  Grin Kiss
legendary
dogiecoin.com
A question or two.

Activity: 507
Merit: 500
@bitmain my S4+

Is making some odd sounds...

All of my fans

Fan#    Fan1    Fan2    Fan3    Fan4
Speed (r/min)    3,840    3,840    3,840    3,840

My temp is:

So you want a video of the sound?
Activity: 461
Merit: 250
I am testing at stock speed for the moment and after I will play around with lower settings. Here are results:

A question or two.

@BitmainTech

I am working with a MFG. to build a Water cooling block for myself, and a Friend.

Can I PLEASE have the specifications for spacing and Attachment points for the S4+ Huh

(if it helps, If this works I'll be buying 3 more units, and my Friend will be purchasing 20 more units)

And I would be more than willing to give you a sample of the watercooling block once they are made.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
A question or two.

legendary
dogiecoin.com
I am hearing the S4+ hangs at reboot like the C1 did. Can anyone Document this? is there anyone that has seen this?

Not seen it on my unit, seems to reboot fine via software. Did it about 20x while testing. Possibly its because its constant voltage while the [most] C1's aren't?
I am hearing the S4+ hangs at reboot like the C1 did. Can anyone Document this? is there anyone that has seen this?
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023
Mine at Jonny's Pool
saw the reaction of the members of this forum and people who have experience in the mining, regarding this new product S4 + .. it is a great disappointment for most part of them !!
for me this new product only slows the progress of Bitcoin and minors .. UNFORTUNATELY

I am almost 40 years old and support slowing the progress of minors 100%, let kids be kids!
LOL... well played sir Smiley
Activity: 689
Merit: 260
I am curious about it, so I'll get one soon. Looking forward to test it... Not sure if it's as bad as everyone thinks, used in the right environment.
Pages:
Jump to: