Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 137. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
@opentoe,

Message Sent!

Thank you for your contribution by sharing this information with us.  We are testing and trying to recreate the situations.

Thank you. Message received. I also found another screen shot of an S5 with temps over 90c+ from Rabinvotch. His unit didn't stop hashing or shut down either when it hit 80c. He has a screen shot in his own thread, and I'll grab it from there and put it here also.

This picture is from this thread:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.10095270

Temps should of not reached that high. Machine should of stopped hashing or "freeze" like Dogie said. How could it still be hashing at temps in the 90's when there is an 80c shut off?

legendary
Personal text my ass....
Dogie, I know you want to keep dismissing that this could be a bug in the firmware so would you go on a deal with me here? I'll pull my fan connector off while it is hashing to see if the miner stops operating and protects itself when it hits 80c. I'll perform this if you promise me a new S5 if I burn my rig up? Smiley

I'm not dismissing anything, I'm hypothesising while BW has units in hand and is testing. My unit needs a fresh controller otherwise I'd test mine to destruction.

Whatever you do to your own unit you do at your own risk.

Oh, I thought you were "in" with Bitmain and could get another S5 fairly quickly if yours blew up while testing for the team? Fresh controller? Your controller died or something?
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
@opentoe,

Message Sent!

Thank you for your contribution by sharing this information with us.  We are testing and trying to recreate the situations.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Dogie, I know you want to keep dismissing that this could be a bug in the firmware so would you go on a deal with me here? I'll pull my fan connector off while it is hashing to see if the miner stops operating and protects itself when it hits 80c. I'll perform this if you promise me a new S5 if I burn my rig up? Smiley

I'm not dismissing anything, I'm hypothesising while BW has units in hand and is testing. My unit needs a fresh controller otherwise I'd test mine to destruction.

Whatever you do to your own unit you do at your own risk.
legendary
Personal text my ass....
Remember, they weren't mining or even connected to the pool at this point. The temps just started rising past 80c without shutting down. The firmware seems not to shut the rig down when it is over 80c. That really needs to be fixed.

Well that goes against everything I've tested, pulled the ethernet and nothing exciting happens. And I've previously tested the 80C limit, it 'freezes' and stops mining.

I agree - it doesn't make sense.  My S3's properly honored that 80C safety shutoff.  But on my pair of S5's, it does not shutoff over 80C.  BTW, the miners really do heat up and it's not just an errant report from the firmware.

A few weeks ago when Ghash went down, my Nicehash limit for return value wasn't met and so it stopped hashing (no rollover) and I did catch this screenshot.

This is exactly what happened with mine. The connection to my pool didn't drop out %100, but was still hashing at like 400Gh/sec. I knew something was wrong when I heard my fan slow down considerably. Soon as I checked the web interface and saw the 92c I kind of freaked and just powered them off. So regardless of what everyone says we shouldn't even be seeing a temp over 80c on our screen if the shutdown/freeze/stop is working properly, correct? I would have grabbed a screen shot but I didn't want to burn anything up. It confuses the hack out of me. Not hashing, but the temps kept rising and I physically felt the heat from the miner before powering off.

Activity: 68
Merit: 10
as i posted before, most important is whether it still uses the same power as before the internet failure-could be easily checked with a kill-a-watt. If it does, then it would be very dangerous. If not, than it is just residual heat (as chips are NOT working anymore) and maybe metal sinks will dissipate the remaining heat safely, even if they heat up to 90C intermittently. Using my S5, as soon as internet drops, power usage also drops to very low (maybe 20w). Whether some other individual miners don't do the same (drop in power usage) is essential to know. i agree that they should have program it to rotate fans for a couple of minutes after the internet blackout.

I can confirm in my case (by a kill-a-watt) that power consumption does drop way off.  But the heat is really up there (to the touch and immediate ambient).

Thank you.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
Bitmain can we have S1->S5 upgrade kits ?
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Remember, they weren't mining or even connected to the pool at this point. The temps just started rising past 80c without shutting down. The firmware seems not to shut the rig down when it is over 80c. That really needs to be fixed.
Well that goes against everything I've tested, pulled the ethernet and nothing exciting happens. And I've previously tested the 80C limit, it 'freezes' and stops mining.
I agree - it doesn't make sense.  My S3's properly honored that 80C safety shutoff.  But on my pair of S5's, it does not shutoff over 80C.  BTW, the miners really do heat up and it's not just an errant report from the firmware.

A few weeks ago when Ghash went down, my Nicehash limit for return value wasn't met and so it stopped hashing (no rollover) and I did catch this screenshot.
There is a conflict in that screenshot, a fan speed of 3600 RPM yet a high temp. At this point I'm leaning towards it reporting silly temperatures rather than reaching silly temperatures. On a 200W load, even with a 1000 RPM fan it should still be okay. Heatsink temps of 75C over heatsink temps of 50C provides DOUBLE the heat removal in a 25C ambient.
Ah!  I think you have landed on an issue.  Thank you.

The physical truth is, at the time of the screenshot, the fan was not at a high rpm (judging from startup/reboot speeds it was in the 300 to 500 rpm range); and the heat sink fins were too hot to keep my fingers on.  I believe the heat reported, but not the fan speed.

But that still makes me wonder why the 80c safety didn't kick in.  This also happened about 3-4 weeks before this screenshot.  That time it reported 106C, but I didn't grab a screenshot, I was freaked out by the high temp and hurried to power down and move air over them with a box fan.

So the bits of information we have:

a) Status reported high temps
b) Heatsinks were too hot to keep fingers on are ~55C for aluminium, which puts chip temps not much higher.

c) Status reported high fan
d) Fan was low in reality

e) Status did not respond to these 'high' temps
f) Status previously showed 110C, but S5 still works.

From the very last one alone we could conclude that its a display / calculation issue, and the chips aren't reaching the temperature its displaying and / or the measurement isn't even what its displaying. If that type of temp sensor was 110C, the chips would have been way past the "melt into goop" region.

So I just ran a test, by killing my internet.  Very interesting to watch.  The fans spin slow (at an inaudible level).  The GUI seems to be stuck with the last valid stats from while hashing.  

I'm getting the feeling that the GUI only reports when the machine is actually hashing.  I watched the temps of the heatsinks rise by ~8C during the lull of no hashing (with an infrared thermometer).

After connecting the internet, and the miners quit beeping, then the GUI would report an updated status.  After the beeping stopped (internet connected) the fans also did spin up again (full rpm).

After restarting the internet, 1 miner had blades at 96C & 83C reported.  It would not start hashing again, without a reboot.  The other miner had blades at 93C & 78C reported.  Based on my infrared temp readings, both heatsinks were within 1C of each other.  This miner did start hashing again on its own, after restarting my internet connection.

Here's some absolutes I know after my test of an internet failure:
1) fan speed drop to nothing and the temperature rises during the failure
2) the windows GUI does not get updated status from the miner during the failure

So why don't the fans stay up to speed to keep the chips cooling during an internet failure?  

Beyond that, I only have assumptions (though educated guesses, they are still guesses).  It's as though the system is not monitoring its own temps during the internet failure, to adjust fan speed and maintain an operating temperature.

If I was a manufacturer, or had a miner that I didn't have to pay for, I would have let the my internet failure run for more than the 3 or 4 minutes I dared to (watching the temps go up).  I would be interested to see how high the temps would really go after 30 minutes or more (but not on my out-of-pocket equipment).

as i posted before, most important is whether it still uses the same power as before the internet failure-could be easily checked with a kill-a-watt. If it does, then it would be very dangerous. If not, than it is just residual heat (as chips are NOT working anymore) and maybe metal sinks will dissipate the remaining heat safely, even if they heat up to 90C intermittently. Using my S5, as soon as internet drops, power usage also drops to very low (maybe 20w). Whether some other individual miners don't do the same (drop in power usage) is essential to know. i agree that they should have program it to rotate fans for a couple of minutes after the internet blackout.

There is a conflict in that screenshot, a fan speed of 3600 RPM yet a high temp. At this point I'm leaning towards it reporting silly temperatures rather than reaching silly temperatures. On a 200W load, even with a 1000 RPM fan it should still be okay. Heatsink temps of 75C over heatsink temps of 50C provides DOUBLE the heat removal in a 25C ambient.

The physical truth is, at the time of the screenshot, the fan was not at a high rpm (judging from startup/reboot speeds it was in the 300 to 500 rpm range); and the heat sink fins were too hot to keep my fingers on.  I believe the heat reported, but not the fan speed.

But that still makes me wonder why the 80c safety didn't kick in.  This also happened about 3-4 weeks before this screenshot.  That time it reported 106C, but I didn't grab a screenshot, I was freaked out by the high temp and hurried to power down and move air over them with a box fan.

b) Heatsinks were too hot to keep fingers on are ~55C for aluminium, which puts chip temps not much higher.

From the very last one alone we could conclude that its a display / calculation issue, and the chips aren't reaching the temperature its displaying and / or the measurement isn't even what its displaying. If that type of temp sensor was 110C, the chips would have been way past the "melt into goop" region.

So I just ran a test, by killing my internet.  Very interesting to watch.  The fans spin slow (at an inaudible level).  The GUI seems to be stuck with the last valid stats from while hashing. 

I'm getting the feeling that the GUI only reports when the machine is actually hashing.  I watched the temps of the heatsinks rise by ~8C during the lull of no hashing (with an infrared thermometer).

After connecting the internet, and the miners quit beeping, then the GUI would report an updated status.  After the beeping stopped (internet connected) the fans also did spin up again (full rpm).

After restarting the internet, 1 miner had blades at 96C & 83C reported.  It would not start hashing again, without a reboot.  The other miner had blades at 93C & 78C reported.  Based on my infrared temp readings, both heatsinks were within 1C of each other.  This miner did start hashing again on its own, after restarting my internet connection.

Here's some absolutes I know after my test of an internet failure:
1) fan speed drop to nothing and the temperature rises during the failure
2) the windows GUI does not get updated status from the miner during the failure

So why don't the fans stay up to speed to keep the chips cooling during an internet failure? 

Beyond that, I only have assumptions (though educated guesses, they are still guesses).  It's as though the system is not monitoring its own temps during the internet failure, to adjust fan speed and maintain an operating temperature.

If I was a manufacturer, or had a miner that I didn't have to pay for, I would have let the my internet failure run for more than the 3 or 4 minutes I dared to (watching the temps go up).  I would be interested to see how high the temps would really go after 30 minutes or more (but not on my out-of-pocket equipment).
Activity: 818
Merit: 508
Anyone have any spare coupons?  Thanks in advance. 
legendary
dogiecoin.com

legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
legendary
Activity: 1694
Merit: 1002
Go Big or Go Home.....
Anyone do overclocking / efficiency testing on the S5's?

soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
Working with a new C1, I wanted it on another subnet to start so I set up a router, it not having an uplink, so that the C1 wouldn't hash figuring that without hashing it wouldn't get hot.  No water in its heatsinks yet.  I did connect via a laptop and started making the setup changes and it pretty quickly froze.  When I touched one of the coolant ports and found it quite hot I realized even unconnected to the internet those ASICs put out heat enough to trigger shutdown.  The C1 runs fine, no damage.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
Thank you for the screenshot

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
anyone else interested pm me with offers for my S5 coupon.

how many do you have and what  amount are they for?
Jump to: