Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 174. (Read 451039 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
HELP! I am running at 200mhz @ 41C. I am getting the following
xoxxxxxx xxxxoxxx oooooooo xxxxxxxx
xxoxxxxx xxxoxxxx xxxxxxxx oooooooo
It starts 20+ mins after startup.
Trying to get a screen shot of hashing.

Running 1000AE RAIDMAX PSU.

bad psu  also why 200mhz?

it has 4 rails not one.  each rail can do 1 wire to the s-5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152044
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019

What is ambient air temp?
Does your unit have unrestricted access to airflow?
Did you reboot?
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io

---------------------------------------

Not booting at all. disconnected everything and reconnected. PSU fine.
Just the lights come on and no fan. or access to board.
soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
Recalling Detroit's Monday/Friday effect, I wonder how long after the long holiday and S5's go back into production we'll see Wednesday cars?

(Just opened a fortune cookie from last night's roast port lomein and pork fried rice.  It says: Be prepared to receive something special within the week.  A bit optimistic I think.)
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
Thank you. But this is more expensive then buying in the normal shop...

More news soon, everyone's just rev'ing up again after the big holiday.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Thank you. But this is more expensive then buying in the normal shop...
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
When will AntMiner 5 be available again?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
ant miner seems to be good but i bellive it need to be more stated the price ante wats and the roi for every body to check bill of eletrecity acording to day profit and see if its like 1 dollara proit per day and payed in 6 months
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
Var diff on some pools starts low and goes up, on others it may start high and go down. It should only be a problem on pools that start with an unusually low diff.
From observation, Westhash start Diff for the S5 is 512.

I don't know about westhash specifically but a lot of pools are running var diff, which starts with very low diff shares and increases as the miner reports higher hashrate. If the miner can't run with a 'shit tonne' of low diff shares, its hashrate never climbs. As you say it would be great if the controller doesn't eventually lock up, but that's the reality. If you use it inappropriately then its not going to work as we want it to.
I've experience as a software engineer, and for the hardware to lock up due to excessive workload translates into faulty software to me.  There should be safeguards against such eventualities -- the work queue can either be successfully met or it can't.  Lockup indicates a defect (ie bug), I can't easily believe any real engineer would consider it otherwise.  There have to be cleaner solutions than GUI lockup for work overload handling!

I've decided to regularly sample the Diff reported by my two S5s.  So far the high has been 4.1K(4096?) and the low 512 with only a brief excursion to 256.  I'm hoping to see just how low it gets.  This recognizing I'm limited to periodic manual checks.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
that is a serious drop in RPM. The stock fan would be doing 4000RPM at those temps.
possibly a rporting issue. the fan is capable of 2000rpm and the antminer software would certainly be feeding it full amperage at 60C temps. it might report 1200 but likely is 1600+

I thought it was a misread too but the speeds of the fan DOES increase then decrease and the software does report the changes. I'm not sure why it's performing like this, the noctua fans are designed to push air more streamline. I thought that could be it. Whatever it is it's working and my house is quiet. With another fan speeds were in the 3000's and loud at this setting and temps were 5 degrees higher. It didn't make sense until I put my hand under the miner and with that setup there was a lot of air escaping from under the miner and not making it back to the heatsink. With the noctua fan there is no air escaping from the bottom side of the miner (my miner sits on its side) and if I put an accessory fan to pull or push from the bottom side temps go up and the noctua spins faster.

The 1200 rpm fan is capped at 1500 rpms, the noctua fan is at 1680 rpms.
Activity: 261
Merit: 257
I don't know about westhash specifically but a lot of pools are running var diff, which starts with very low diff shares and increases as the miner reports higher hashrate. If the miner can't run with a 'shit tonne' of low diff shares, its hashrate never climbs. As you say it would be great if the controller doesn't eventually lock up, but that's the reality. If you use it inappropriately then its not going to work as we want it to.
Var diff on some pools starts low and goes up, on others it may start high and go down. It should only be a problem on pools that start with an unusually low diff.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
that is a serious drop in RPM. The stock fan would be doing 4000RPM at those temps.
possibly a rporting issue. the fan is capable of 2000rpm and the antminer software would certainly be feeding it full amperage at 60C temps. it might report 1200 but likely is 1600+
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
So in my ever epic request to make this thing quite.... I think I finally have found a way.....

http://eddiesilva.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/antminerweb.png

Here is the antminer page running for 8 hours overnight. Ambient temps are 68F or just below 20c. I have a Noctua SSO2 Bearing, Retail Cooling NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM fan attached as the push fan and an ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing Case Fan, 120mm PWM Speed Control, 74CFM at 22.5dBA as the pull fan. And that is it, nothing else.

As far as quite goes, it is waaayyyyy more quiet than stock and more quiet than any other combination of fans that I have tried.  The miner is running a bit hot, 61 and 59c but I am perfectly stable at 325. I do not plan to overclock the miner, maybe Ill try to bring it up to default but as of right now, Im happy with the noise and hashrate.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
When I turn on my C1 (yes, the water cooled model) it kicks up the fan to high speed while it initializes and boots. Is that how loud a S5 is, or is it much louder than that?

I see several videos on youtube from users replacing their fans to silent type fans, is there a particular setup that works the best to quiet these S5's? I saw that one video where the guy was using a white silent fan from AAB Cooling, which I couldn't hear from it at all. What is everyone buying to keep their rigs more quiet? I assume they are adding another fan on the other end and switching both fans to other brands. There are hundreds out there, ranging from 1600-2000 rpm's mostly....what's the best setup for this S5 to make it quiet?

That's the last thing I would want to do. I saw a video on youtube where the dude has his S5 running with two silent fans and it's only 43 decibels. That I can live with. I doubt no one wants to spend another couple hundred dollars on a water kit. Just more work and watts.

No, an S5 is much louder. The C1's fan is an 'S3' fan which maxes out about 1600RPM lower and has a different sound profile to it on top.

I'd be very scepital about users 'silencing' an S5 without running it in a cold ambient or extremely hot. There are a lot of board components other than just the ASICs which require cooling and reducing airflow disproportionately affects these component. The closest you're going to get to 'silent' is 2x Corsair SP120s (high performance editions). They're not silent, but they're not horrendous either.

Do these Corsair SP120s produce enough airflow? 63CFM? Is that enough?
http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan
I am looking at 2x Coolmaster Jet Flow 120mm fans and not sure if they are enough. they do 90CFM.

Yes its enough because its not just about CFM, its the relationship between CFM and static pressure. Think of CFM as the absolute best case scenario. If a fan has a lower static pressure, its much much less likely to achieve that effective CFM when in situ. Argh its hard to explain, but the answer to your question is "yes, absolutely".
A picture is worth 1000 words. Smiley

This is called a fan's PQ curve. On the y-axis is the static pressure. The fan's rated static pressure will be on the left when airflow is 0. On the x-axis is the airflow, usually in CFM. The rated CFM will be on the bottom right when there is no backpressure (y=0).

The static pressure is a function of your application. If you have a heatsink with lots of closely spaced fins it will take more static pressure to push the air through the fins. In the pictures above, at a given static pressure fan A is producing more flow than fan B, even though they have the same static pressure and CFM ratings. It's exagerated, but you can actually see it in different datasheets.
AFB 120x38
QFR 120x38
The curve for the QFR looks more like fan A, while the curve for the AFB looks more like fan B. Even though they're rated for the same CFM, against a heatsink the QFR would push more air.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
When I turn on my C1 (yes, the water cooled model) it kicks up the fan to high speed while it initializes and boots. Is that how loud a S5 is, or is it much louder than that?

I see several videos on youtube from users replacing their fans to silent type fans, is there a particular setup that works the best to quiet these S5's? I saw that one video where the guy was using a white silent fan from AAB Cooling, which I couldn't hear from it at all. What is everyone buying to keep their rigs more quiet? I assume they are adding another fan on the other end and switching both fans to other brands. There are hundreds out there, ranging from 1600-2000 rpm's mostly....what's the best setup for this S5 to make it quiet?

That's the last thing I would want to do. I saw a video on youtube where the dude has his S5 running with two silent fans and it's only 43 decibels. That I can live with. I doubt no one wants to spend another couple hundred dollars on a water kit. Just more work and watts.

No, an S5 is much louder. The C1's fan is an 'S3' fan which maxes out about 1600RPM lower and has a different sound profile to it on top.

I'd be very scepital about users 'silencing' an S5 without running it in a cold ambient or extremely hot. There are a lot of board components other than just the ASICs which require cooling and reducing airflow disproportionately affects these component. The closest you're going to get to 'silent' is 2x Corsair SP120s (high performance editions). They're not silent, but they're not horrendous either.

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan
I am looking at 2x Coolmaster Jet Flow 120mm fans and not sure if they are enough. they do 90CFM.

Yes its enough because its not just about CFM, its the relationship between CFM and static pressure. Think of CFM as the absolute best case scenario. If a fan has a lower static pressure, its much much less likely to achieve that effective CFM when in situ. Argh its hard to explain, but the answer to your question is "yes, absolutely".

legendary
dogiecoin.com
Isn't there a proper antpool thread somewhere? Bitmain talk is useless. What am I missing here?

https://forum.bitmain.com/ is usually a bit quicker on software / site related things.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
The numbers are being tossed around  but they are the  reason for problem.

You can not do the work fast enough due to the shit coin flooding the controller with work
If the Diff setting assigned the miner by the server is too low, then yes, the miner wouldn't be able to keep up, but why should that cause a lockup?  That sounds like a firmware issue to me.  My experience mining various SHA-256 coins is that the servers generally set higher Diffs in order to hold down their interrupt levels.  West/NiceHash allows setting the initial Diff in the password (e.g."d=512") which indicates they also actively control it.  It seems unlikely they would deliberately excessively lower the Diff recognizing the increased impact on their server.  Are we sure this is what's happening?

Jump to: