Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 173. (Read 451039 times)

soy
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013
So would two of these high static fans in a push/pull be sufficient enough to keep an S5 cool?

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

I have heard these fans, even the quiet model one are great fans for cooling heatsinks.

Yes, its what I recommend.

I understand with these fans an S5 will run quiet and cool.  Will the stock fans run equally cool albeit louder?
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
So would two of these high static fans in a push/pull be sufficient enough to keep an S5 cool?

http://www.corsair.com/en/air-series-sp120-high-performance-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan

I have heard these fans, even the quiet model one are great fans for cooling heatsinks.

Yes, its what I recommend.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0

In my endless efforts to keep the s5 cool and quiet running near default speeds, I have opted for Noctua and Arctic cool fans. Those fans that you posted are not that quiet. The 35db is not that quiet. Unless they are PWM fans, they will be running at full speed. What you are looking for in a cooling fan for the s5 is one that directs more of the airflow forward than just spinning fast. The Noctua fans are designed to push air in a more forward direction. I have tested this and it is true. My Noctua fan on the front pushing air in is a Noctua industrial 2000rpm PWM fan. It is currently spinning at 1680rpm and an Arctic F12 PWM fan running at 1200rpm. Combined with the miner set at 325 they are making 44db in sound. Temps are 60 and 62c with 17 hardware errors over a four day period, ambient temps in the 20-25c range.

I tested a higher cfm fan at the same settings as my push fan with the temps running into 65-70. I also had to add a fan to the rear of the miner to push hot air away from the miner, one fan on the side of the miner to push air into the top of the miner (my miner sits on its side) and one fan on the bottom pulling air away.

So you see, long story short... It is the design of the fan and how the fan pushes the air that makes the biggest difference. If I disrupt the airflow of the Noctua my temps will go up and the Noctua will spin faster. With that said, I recommend the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KFCR5BA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H3T1KBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
TaaS is a closed-end fund designated to blockchain
Now that violation of Moore's law is over; chip efficiency is less important than power cost variation.  Cheap power is more important for mining than the newest chips.

Yes the name of the game is electricity price, miner efficiency is important but if someone pays 0.09 per KW and other 0.03 per KW the second is more profitable mining with and S2 than the first one with an S5.

Regards

Juan
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Now that violation of Moore's law is over; chip efficiency is less important than power cost variation.  Cheap power is more important for mining than the newest chips.

yup i want less power hungry machines. screw how fast they are it's nice to have  don't get me wrong but if the power bill exceeds the worth is it worth it  ?, i have kind of cheap power it went down for two years to 8.99 cents per KWH  Smiley .I'm thinking about buy two cheap S3 some place and wish i had kept at least two of my four i had and just to mine alt coins some of those coins  are amazing at the return i can get . and buy  big time large  mounts of hash from  rented machine not contacts, i hate that kind of cloud mining and keep running my s5 and S3,  it covers it all .
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Now that violation of Moore's law is over; chip efficiency is less important than power cost variation.  Cheap power is more important for mining than the newest chips.
Activity: 112
Apparently Bitmain is still recovering from the holiday.  Nothing new shipping yet.  Sad

Last news was about the pool : We are pleased to announce Antpool (antpool.com) which is open for users all around the world. BITMAIN has invested significant resources into developing a bitcoin pool based on the p2pool mining protocol. BITMAIN reaffirms its commitment to help decentralize the Bitcoin network, strengthen the Bitcoin eco-system and put the majority of hashing power into the hands of consumers.

well you know them  once they have it we have it . Smiley . so far  , I hope it stays that way .I would hate to see KNC win out and totally destroy the consumer market but that has been there intention all long . IMO .Sadly i hate to say it but  its coming . but if company like Zeus etc would have kept selling to the consumer market and be honest things would be a lot better for all.

BUT some  let greed  get the way of begin honest . so  will all suffer now .shame to I love doing this and will support it till the end .
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Apparently Bitmain is still recovering from the holiday.  Nothing new shipping yet.  Sad

Last news was about the pool : We are pleased to announce Antpool (antpool.com) which is open for users all around the world. BITMAIN has invested significant resources into developing a bitcoin pool based on the p2pool mining protocol. BITMAIN reaffirms its commitment to help decentralize the Bitcoin network, strengthen the Bitcoin eco-system and put the majority of hashing power into the hands of consumers.

That's from about 3 or 4 months ago.
Activity: 1022
Merit: 500
Apparently Bitmain is still recovering from the holiday.  Nothing new shipping yet.  Sad

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io
Little confusing, but anyways.

Current situation after reconnecting ALL cables.

Running for 4hr 12m @ 350mhz @ 58C HW = 1

OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO OOOOOOOO

PSU on UPS as I suspect power dips on 'mining' site.

I shall look at another psu with regards to the 12v rails.

Thanks gents for all the advice.
Activity: 89
soy
legendary
Would high discard numbers relative to another indicate a network problem?

How high is high? Difficulties the same? If by relative you mean to an entirely different mine somewhere else then it could be because of higher ping, but within the same installation its unlikely.

One has discards 100x higher than another.  103,395 versus 907 nine minutes after cgminer restart on both.

I'm first trying a clean up on its power line - switching a high speed switch wall wart to another line but I suspect the controller card.

After 5 minutes 57,666 discards versus 613.  I'll shut down and clean the controller card.  

After cleaning the controller board with brake cleaner and blowing off with compressed air, running 5 minutes after cgminer restarts, 67,324 vs. 783.  Will try swapping controller board after I finish putting together a line filter for the router.

Are you able to just swap the network cables first? What effective hash rate is the pool reporting on each?

Yes I changed network cables, changed the high speed switch, put a line filter on the switch (helps keep my video recordings clean of noise), just swapped the controller cards and now after 6 minutes with the switched controller cards it's 71,908-HW3, 583-HW2.  This should really be in the S3 forum not the S5, sorry, have been following S5 preparing to buy when I can.  And now I see a firmware version difference.  The high discard rate firmware is 4.6.1 and the lower rate is running 4.6.0.

Reverting to 4.6.0 has fixed the high discards.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

How high is high? Difficulties the same? If by relative you mean to an entirely different mine somewhere else then it could be because of higher ping, but within the same installation its unlikely.

One has discards 100x higher than another.  103,395 versus 907 nine minutes after cgminer restart on both.

I'm first trying a clean up on its power line - switching a high speed switch wall wart to another line but I suspect the controller card.

After 5 minutes 57,666 discards versus 613.  I'll shut down and clean the controller card. 

After cleaning the controller board with brake cleaner and blowing off with compressed air, running 5 minutes after cgminer restarts, 67,324 vs. 783.  Will try swapping controller board after I finish putting together a line filter for the router.

Are you able to just swap the network cables first? What effective hash rate is the pool reporting on each?
soy
legendary

One has discards 100x higher than another.  103,395 versus 907 nine minutes after cgminer restart on both.

After 5 minutes 57,666 discards versus 613.  I'll shut down and clean the controller card. 

After cleaning the controller board with brake cleaner and blowing off with compressed air, running 5 minutes after cgminer restarts, 67,324 vs. 783.  Will try swapping controller board after I finish putting together a line filter for the router.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
HELP! I am running at 200mhz @ 41C. I am getting the following
xoxxxxxx xxxxoxxx oooooooo xxxxxxxx
xxoxxxxx xxxoxxxx xxxxxxxx oooooooo
It starts 20+ mins after startup.
Trying to get a screen shot of hashing.

Running 1000AE RAIDMAX PSU.

bad psu  also why 200mhz?

it has 4 rails not one.  each rail can do 1 wire to the s-5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152044

Agreed, you'll have to get another PSU to test with before we can get any meaningful information off it. The method of failure (mixed x's and o's) is STRONGLY power related, and the PCBs failing (not a coincidence both at once) would have no impact on the controller not booting.

Your 12V is likely no longer 12V or generally duff on your PSU.
legendary
dogiecoin.com

soy
legendary

bad psu  also why 200mhz?

it has 4 rails not one.  each rail can do 1 wire to the s-5

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152044

I am running @ 200mhz to keep temps down as it gets very hot during the day. and temps were reaching 62C @ 350mhz.

What is ambient air temp? 34C
Does your unit have unrestricted access to airflow? both units do. S5 and S1. S1 is still going.
Did you reboot? done a few times. and unplugged. now it does not start up.
Jump to: