Author

Topic: ANTMINER S5: 1155GH(+OverClock Potential), In Stock $0.319/GH & 0.51W/GH - page 175. (Read 451039 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io
When I turn on my C1 (yes, the water cooled model) it kicks up the fan to high speed while it initializes and boots. Is that how loud a S5 is, or is it much louder than that?

I see several videos on youtube from users replacing their fans to silent type fans, is there a particular setup that works the best to quiet these S5's? I saw that one video where the guy was using a white silent fan from AAB Cooling, which I couldn't hear from it at all. What is everyone buying to keep their rigs more quiet? I assume they are adding another fan on the other end and switching both fans to other brands. There are hundreds out there, ranging from 1600-2000 rpm's mostly....what's the best setup for this S5 to make it quiet?

That's the last thing I would want to do. I saw a video on youtube where the dude has his S5 running with two silent fans and it's only 43 decibels. That I can live with. I doubt no one wants to spend another couple hundred dollars on a water kit. Just more work and watts.

No, an S5 is much louder. The C1's fan is an 'S3' fan which maxes out about 1600RPM lower and has a different sound profile to it on top.

I'd be very scepital about users 'silencing' an S5 without running it in a cold ambient or extremely hot. There are a lot of board components other than just the ASICs which require cooling and reducing airflow disproportionately affects these component. The closest you're going to get to 'silent' is 2x Corsair SP120s (high performance editions). They're not silent, but they're not horrendous either.

This is the same conclusion i came to this weekend. My S5 ran @ 4080RPM @ 56C running @ 325mhz.
if i can't get it under control then I am going to go deaf.

Ambient temp was 38C. in the house it was 40 with the windows open. No aircons in the house(cost to much to run).

My idea was not to run the S5 of batteries but rather through the following.

Batteries --> Modified wave inverter --> ATX PSU --> S5.

I would like to try the following when the parts one day arrive.
Room air --> Peltier --> S5 intake fan --> S5 Exhaust fan.

even if its 40W more. makes little diffs if you are pulling in the region of 650W anyway.
Activity: 1050
Merit: 377
The numbers are being tossed around  but they are the  reason for problem.

You can not do the work fast enough due to the shit coin flooding the controller with work
If the Diff setting assigned the miner by the server is too low, then yes, the miner wouldn't be able to keep up, but why should that cause a lockup?  That sounds like a firmware issue to me.  My experience mining various SHA-256 coins is that the servers generally set higher Diffs in order to hold down their interrupt levels.  West/NiceHash allows setting the initial Diff in the password (e.g."d=512") which indicates they also actively control it.  It seems unlikely they would deliberately excessively lower the Diff recognizing the increased impact on their server.  Are we sure this is what's happening?
Activity: 26
Merit: 0

[/quote]

I wonder if an ATX PSU tolerates a modified sine wave inverter.  If it does, then I also wonder if the +12VDC output would be kosher for the miner?  I guess I'm sort of hoping that the ATX PSU would somehow modulate the modified sine wave and outputs a clean +12VDC.

[/quote]

I plugged a pair of Corsair AX860's feeding a pair of S5's into an APC SUA1500 UPS and they ran normally when AC was present.  (The UPS in normal mode provides 'power conditioning' - I'll assume that to be something simple like surge suppression.  When I pulled the AC  it didn't seem to make much of a difference to the Corsair PSU's - maybe a tad more noise - It ran both S5's at 120.3 vac for about 7 minutes before the battery light dropped to 20% and I plugged it back into commercial power.  On paper, it should have run a few minutes more but the batteries are two years old.  Is an UPS worth the cost ?  Probably not unless you've got access to a decent unit at a fair price (check the thrift stores for used ones - generally all they need is a battery refresh).  Having a high-efficiency power supply is my first priority for stable mining.

Has anyone operated their S5's in a refrigerator Huh
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
Personal text my ass....
The noise of this unit and the odds probably never being able to get your return back ( I've done some numbers ) and bitcoin pretty much has had its day and I doubt will ever recover to where it once was there's no sense in buying this hardware anymore. I remember you could run a farm of GPU's for over a year and still be good, but these days, maybe 2-3 months and your finished. Too bad.

I would buy one to tinker with with it, but putting something in my house that sounds like a jet isn't going to happen.

legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013
Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC
Isn't there a proper antpool thread somewhere? Bitmain talk is useless. What am I missing here?
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
how much high grade ram do you think the controller will need? 8gb of ddr3 or 4gb of ddr5.  the controller will cost $$$$.  So the s-5 will not be 340-370 it will be   440-470.   A shit coin can have 10000x the shares of a bitcoin.

BTW I would like a better controller myself.  Maybe a new quad core rasp pi  x 2 has enough to  do it.
It appears you're throwing numbers around.  I don't know what memory the S5 is using now and I don't know what the actual problem is.  Perhaps it's a little early for your speculations?  Let's see what Bitmain has to say and try to avoid speculation!

The numbers are being tossed around  but they are the  reason for problem.

You can not do the work fast enough due to the shit coin flooding the controller with work
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
How safe is or would it have any effect on the miner if I were to have the ATX PSU run off a modified wave inverter?
We have 2 -6 hour power outages in SA. Angry
I don't want to destroy the PSU or the miner in anyway.
I am getting mixed responses online about using modified wave inverters.

So, the wave inverter would be powered by 12VDC batteries?  Why not power the S5 from the batteries?  The S5 needs a common 12vdc bus I think they said.  So, batteries to the 12V bus connector board and the power supplies charging the batteries.

Oh, you probably fire up a gas engine generator.  You'd need quite a few 12vdc batteries to drive miners for 2-6 hours.

Be an interesting experiment - take a miner to a fully charged car battery and flip a series switch then watch how long it keeps hashing while taking stats on remaining voltage and hashrate until it dies.

Don't even attempt to power S5s direct from batteries. A 12V battery is almost guaranteed not to be 12V and as with all batteries will have a varying output voltage as it discharges. This is a pretty typical voltage chart of a '12V' car battery but you could get a lot worse, especially in relation to high start voltage. Is 4 hours of mining time really worth a fried S5?

legendary
dogiecoin.com
how much high grade ram do you think the controller will need? 8gb of ddr3 or 4gb of ddr5.  the controller will cost $$$$.  So the s-5 will not be 340-370 it will be   440-470.   A shit coin can have 10000x the shares of a bitcoin.

BTW I would like a better controller myself.  Maybe a new quad core rasp pi  x 2 has enough to  do it.

It appears you're throwing numbers around.  I don't know what memory the S5 is using now and I don't know what the actual problem is. Perhaps it's a little early for your speculations?  Let's see what Bitmain has to say and try to avoid speculation!

I have a feeling that its to do with westhash and generally altcoin mining as a frozen controller isn't a typical error we see. What could be happening is that on coin / block / whatever change, its flooding the controller with inappropriately low difficulty shares which is causing it to lock up.

Do we know that the described Difficulty issue is a known controller lockup cause?  This is not an attack, it's just not clear Bitmain has described what the misbehavior might be with a difficulty mismatch.  My view of this issue is obviously going to be different between a compatibility problem with Nicehash/Westhash Vs a generic problem.  If it is a compatibility problem, I think it reflects back on Bitmain to try harder to match their products to real world product usage.  My intent is to purchase a general purpose SHA-256d miner, not an exclusively BTC miner!  Mining is just too expensive to be limited to BTC.

Well, philip is right. It doesn't matter how much resources you give a controller, if you try and use it inappropriately it will still fail to do what you want it to. This controller is designed for something around 200+ difficulty shares at the lowest, and even that will likely start throttling. If you're pool, coin or whatever else is throwing significantly lower difficulty shares at it then there's no way its going to cope, regardless if you gave it more resources and made it more expensive.

The best analogy I can come up with is like trying to dump a swimming pool's worth of water into your bath, then complaining to your landlord that he hasn't given you a big enough bath. There is nothing stopping you from mining other coins or on other pools, they just have to be sensible.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
When I turn on my C1 (yes, the water cooled model) it kicks up the fan to high speed while it initializes and boots. Is that how loud a S5 is, or is it much louder than that?

I see several videos on youtube from users replacing their fans to silent type fans, is there a particular setup that works the best to quiet these S5's? I saw that one video where the guy was using a white silent fan from AAB Cooling, which I couldn't hear from it at all. What is everyone buying to keep their rigs more quiet? I assume they are adding another fan on the other end and switching both fans to other brands. There are hundreds out there, ranging from 1600-2000 rpm's mostly....what's the best setup for this S5 to make it quiet?

That's the last thing I would want to do. I saw a video on youtube where the dude has his S5 running with two silent fans and it's only 43 decibels. That I can live with. I doubt no one wants to spend another couple hundred dollars on a water kit. Just more work and watts.

No, an S5 is much louder. The C1's fan is an 'S3' fan which maxes out about 1600RPM lower and has a different sound profile to it on top.

I'd be very scepital about users 'silencing' an S5 without running it in a cold ambient or extremely hot. There are a lot of board components other than just the ASICs which require cooling and reducing airflow disproportionately affects these component. The closest you're going to get to 'silent' is 2x Corsair SP120s (high performance editions). They're not silent, but they're not horrendous either.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
can we finally get BFGMINER support
Serious miners don't speak of BFGMiner...

The U1 is supported by BFGMiner but that's about it. Luke won't develop the S, C or U lines further without hardware and at the moment there really isn't any need for it. Cgminer is supported both officially and unofficially [Bitmain's] on two different branches.

Why specifically do you want BFGMiner? Its not as if we can run these on anything but official controllers running prebundled firmware.
legendary
Personal text my ass....

Thanks

The best ist still watercooling
http://shop.syscooling.com/goods.php?id=51
http://shop.syscooling.com/goods.php?id=46

4x S5 =4,6TH/s

Water-cooled S5 Modify Instruction  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/water-cooled-s5-modify-instruction-947254

legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
can we finally get BFGMINER support
Serious miners don't speak of BFGMiner...
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I love the ant miner , these have all ways  been the only ones i have ever bought to mine with, from my u1 and u2 days till now but they still lack one thing .

more choice in miners , can we finally get BFGMINER support Smiley for the antminer C , S series miner .Smiley .. Please Please !!!

I  Would have even bought the L1 if it had happen.I love mining any thing and every thing with in reason .

cyz     
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
Hummmm  interesting question...

we have not seen a masked S5 yet  Grin Grin Grin

any pictures?

Does anyone use a dust filter on their s5? I have one on the push fan. It contributes a bit to the noise but what do you all do with dust?

http://eddiesilva.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/miners5-2.jpg

This is my S5 with a dust cover on it. its not the one that wraps around the fan but sticks on the front of the fan. Seems like it does a decent job. But really, how do you guys deal with dust? do you clean the miners out once a month or some other schedule? Doesn't dust contribute to increased heat?
legendary
Merit: 1004
How safe is or would it have any effect on the miner if I were to have the ATX PSU run off a modified wave inverter?

Don't use cheap inverters, use the battery power. ATX PSU gives out over 12V anyway and if You take over 40A from lead-acid battery voltage will sink very fast near 12V nominal even if You have very big capasity batteries.
This isn't as simple as you make it out to be. You could probably power an S5 off a battery for a little while, but in order to directly power the miners off the battery you would need an automatic switchover system that removes the normal PSUs and connects the batteries when AC power is lost.

Really, depending on how you get your power the smartest play might just be to let the miner go offline during the power outage. A hash produced at time t=0 is worth the same as one produced 3 hours later when the power comes back on, it's not like someone's going to die on an operating table or a database will be corrupted if the power goes down.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

Thanks

The best ist still watercooling
http://shop.syscooling.com/goods.php?id=51
http://shop.syscooling.com/goods.php?id=46

4x S5 =4,6TH/s

Water-cooled S5 Modify Instruction  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/water-cooled-s5-modify-instruction-947254
Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Don't use cheap inverters, use the battery power. ATX PSU gives out over 12V anyway and if You take over 40A from lead-acid battery voltage will sink very fast near 12V nominal even if You have very big capasity batteries.
legendary
Personal text my ass....

Thanks

Also, is this youtube post scam or someone really got his this silent. I'm thinking scam all the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TANw6DeIy0
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
How loud is this compared to S3?
Much louder compared to the S3.

If the S3 could be classified as a "comfortable" volume, then the S5 would be classified as "very loud" by comparison (off the top of my head, I think the S3's are ~55dBA, and the S5's are ~70dBA)

It depends on ambient temp also. My ambient temp is around 28 degrees C and the S3+ when it gets going is between 60 and 70db. Very loud.

hi, your ambient is 28C , may i know what are the temps on the asic chips ? reading on miner temp ?

tia

When aircon is not on the hashing board temps run about 45 to 47 degrees C. Well within temperature specs. Fans run very fast though. 2900 to 3200 rpm.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
How loud is this compared to S3?
Much louder compared to the S3.

If the S3 could be classified as a "comfortable" volume, then the S5 would be classified as "very loud" by comparison (off the top of my head, I think the S3's are ~55dBA, and the S5's are ~70dBA)

It depends on ambient temp also. My ambient temp is around 28 degrees C and the S3+ when it gets going is between 60 and 70db. Very loud.

hi, your ambient is 28C , may i know what are the temps on the asic chips ? reading on miner temp ?

tia
Jump to: