Pages:
Author

Topic: ANTMINER S7 is available at bitmaintech.com with 4.86TH/s, 0.25J/GH - page 26. (Read 527791 times)

alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052
You might also have to consider that your AC unit needs repair. I have seen AC type units that will "freeze the coils" when the refrigerant inside is "low". I don't really understand why that happens, nor the specifics, but I had a de-humidifier that had lost some refrigerant, and it would "ice up" even when the temp was above 70F. It wasn't cold temps that mattered in that case.

How new is your AC unit?

I found it completely counter-intuitive that low refrigerant could yield ice on the coils, but some Google research may explain it better. It's still confusing to me.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I mine because math
Thanks for the update! I'm going to wait for the warranty to be nearly expired before I overclock any of my s7's, but I've been playing with the idea of adding some manner of A/C cooling to my system. I've got a couple blades that run about +5 above the others in 2 different units so I'm glad to hear it's stabilized your temps overall.
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Visualize whirledps
I have a question about the S7's.

If I'm posting in the wrong place please forgive me and move it, please.

I have 2 S7's bought about a month apart. Not sure of the batch number, but both came set as 700 frequency. I'm supposing they are both batch 10.

They have been running flawlessly for about 2 months at 700m.

I have a 15,000 5,250 BTU AC blowing directly into the intakes. The temps have been perfect in the high 50's to low 60's even over clocked to 750mHz.

Just last night, one of the the units, the first one I bought, had a temp rise only on the #3 board up to 75c.
The rest of the boards are running cool as is the other machine just fine.

I down-clocked the machine with the hot board down to 681mHz. The 3rd board temp is still running about 72C, which is over 12c hotter than board 1 and 2.

All the ASIC status symbols are 0's, so they are still working and hashing.

I just hate the thought of of having to down-clock the whole machine for the single board.

Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Again, this temp rise just occurred last night and has been within normal range previously. I hate to think the heat sinks on the 3rd board are having issues.

Thanks for any expert opinions.
Smiley

Just a quick follow up to anyone who might be interested in the AC freezing issue.

It was indeed a heat, temperature and condensation issue.

I thawed out the AC grill, put it on low cool, and put a box fan in one of the other windows to draw out the hot air. Daytime temps were in the low 70's most of the day today.

It ran fine without freezing up  all day and I was able to over-clock the miners to 750mHz with the board temps staying in the mid40's-to low 50's range all day without any sign of freezing. Also, no HW errors.)
Now that night has come and the out-door temps have dropped to 48F so far, a slight freezing is beginning again on the grill/condenser area of the AC.
The machines are still OC'd to 750Mhz but the AC is putting out less air quantity and not as cold.
The miner temps have also risen to a low of 58C on one board to a high of 72C with the average board temp being in the mid 60'sC.

I will down-clock to 700Mhz overnight (as it's supposed to get close to freezing again tonight) which should ensure that the board temps never reach the mid to high 70'sC. I also have it set to shut down if it reaches 80C. The fans are set to automatic. Mid 60's/low 70's miner temps don't concern me.

I think once the night-time temps stay above 70F, I shouldn't have to concern myself with this and can leave them OC'd to 750Mhz 24/7 with the AC set to a low cool setting without the issue of the AC grill/condenser freezing up again

Just an FYI and a tidbit of info.
Have a nice day. Smiley

legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
looks like bitmain gave me 4 coupons all in all...i just had one s7.  I gave one coupon away (and the nice gentleman gave me a tip).  Willing to do the same for the remaining 3 coupons.  pm me peopleeeeeee
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
buysolar is running my batch 1  which struggles to do 4200gh at freq 525 has error rate of 0.3000 or so  a garbagr machine.

my batch 2 is at my friends office  rated at freq 575 and 4660gh  it can do 5100gh at 1250watts with a platinum psu.

error rate at 0.0005 or less.

truly a great machine if everyone had an s-7 like this one people would still like bitmantech.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
I had a good return with my S3 first batch but not with the S7 as I paid in BTC and the price was low. If I had paid cash it would have been better but ... you never know what it is coming.

I highly doubt I will buy any further Batch 1 from Bitmain. First, the first batch didn't do so great in the past (S3 low hash, S7 low hash) and they overpriced the S7 batch 1. I skipped the S5, I don't remind how good or bad they did with performance/pricing for the first batch.

I do agree about pricing for Batch 1, but in re: to performance the S7 Batch 1 (along with Batch 3 and 5 I believe) have the highest hashrates of any of the succeeding batches.  They came at 4.86T, 10% higher efficiency due to higher chip density, and overclockable to ~5TH/s (and even more for some people). I also skipped the S5, and it probably turned out to be the most profitable miner in Bitmain's history with re-sale value not far from sale price nearly a year after launch.

Re B1, it was dependent on an individual machine. Mine was close to spec, no overclock, hence no complains. Phil's was underhashing by close to 10%, if i remember correctly.
Re B3 and B5-those were good. My B5 can do 625 without a problem=5th.
However, the fastest is the last batch before the new model came along-B7-it is by default 5.06 th at 1278w, faster hash and much better efficiency than B8-16.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
I had a good return with my S3 first batch but not with the S7 as I paid in BTC and the price was low. If I had paid cash it would have been better but ... you never know what it is coming.

I highly doubt I will buy any further Batch 1 from Bitmain. First, the first batch didn't do so great in the past (S3 low hash, S7 low hash) and they overpriced the S7 batch 1. I skipped the S5, I don't remind how good or bad they did with performance/pricing for the first batch.

I do agree about pricing for Batch 1, but in re: to performance the S7 Batch 1 (along with Batch 3 and 5 I believe) have the highest hashrates of any of the succeeding batches.  They came at 4.86T, 10% higher efficiency due to higher chip density, and overclockable to ~5TH/s (and even more for some people). I also skipped the S5, and it probably turned out to be the most profitable miner in Bitmain's history with re-sale value not far from sale price nearly a year after launch.

S5's also held a decent value for quiet a while on re-selling.   I sold all my previous gen gear (anything before S7/A6).  And did decent with it, happy I sold before S7 dropping with coupons and everything been a bit since I sold them.   

But mining with S5's and other prev generation gear and selling worked good for me.  I sold them on ebay (a little risky) and bought coins after to eventually buy more miners with of this gen or possibly next gen.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003

Activity: 233
Merit: 10
I have extra bitmain S7 coupons for sale if anyone is interested:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-bitmain-coupons-for-sale-1428465

They will save you around $60 dollars each.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Wait for the next S7 batch, model # S7-F0.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
IMO Bitmain will not sell a miner with a drastically different design than the S7.  I don't think we will ever see another even series.  

Will the S9 ship before the SP50?  

I'm like you...  I believe BITMAIN has found the closure they want for future rigs (the current S7 closure) and will design future rigs for that closure.  Keeping the same closure will also make shipping cheaper for those who have the S7 boards and will want to upgrade to the S9 boards.  Especially, once the S7 boards are barely or no longer profitable [depending on your power cost and difficulty].

As for WHEN they come out with a new rig and whether or not it has the next generation chips (16nm), it's anyone's guess.  I personally do not believe we see a 16nm rig by BITMAIN until September or October.

I would be surprised if it doesn't come out very soon after the halving which will make the S7 unaffordable to run in the majority of places in the world with normal (too damn high) electric rates. Maybe there will be a market to sell our S7s back to China with their cheap power!

I believe in a new generation shortly after the halving, bets?
Did you notice my offer  Grin

1. your offer is not very enticing for, i guess, everybody. right now it is too little, later maybe too much. Besides, how could you offer btc without knowing how much btc is worth in a month?
2. I am pretty confident that bitmain will collect money for new gen BEFORE halving. Whether they will ship before or shortly thereafter is open for suggestion.
They will probably ask for something ridiculous again in $$ terms.
3. I am trying not to play this game anymore.

To 1. Let's wait and see, the price is a negotional matter. But basically, if you bought the first batches for 5BTC and i am offering 0.8BTC you do not have to sell. If you bougt one of the last batches for around 1.4BTC 0.8BTC isn't too bad i think.
To 2. If they are smart, and i believe they are, Bitmain should offer the preorder 2 weeks before the halving, and start shipping them at the day of halving. I personally believe that they already have the next generation working already, like they did with the S7  Wink
To 3. Mining?

3. ordering expensive miners early

legendary
IMO Bitmain will not sell a miner with a drastically different design than the S7.  I don't think we will ever see another even series.  

I'm like you...  I believe BITMAIN has found the closure they want for future rigs (the current S7 closure) and will design future rigs for that closure.  Keeping the same closure will also make shipping cheaper for those who have the S7 boards and will want to upgrade to the S9 boards.  Especially, once the S7 boards are barely or no longer profitable [depending on your power cost and difficulty].

As for WHEN they come out with a new rig and whether or not it has the next generation chips (16nm), it's anyone's guess.  I personally do not believe we see a 16nm rig by BITMAIN until September or October.

I would be surprised if it doesn't come out very soon after the halving which will make the S7 unaffordable to run in the majority of places in the world with normal (too damn high) electric rates. Maybe there will be a market to sell our S7s back to China with their cheap power!

1. your offer is not very enticing for, i guess, everybody. right now it is too little, later maybe too much. Besides, how could you offer btc without knowing how much btc is worth in a month?
2. I am pretty confident that bitmain will collect money for new gen BEFORE halving. Whether they will ship before or shortly thereafter is open for suggestion.

To 1. Let's wait and see, the price is a negotional matter. But basically, if you bought the first batches for 5BTC and i am offering 0.8BTC you do not have to sell. If you bougt one of the last batches for around 1.4BTC 0.8BTC isn't too bad i think.
To 2. If they are smart, and i believe they are, Bitmain should offer the preorder 2 weeks before the halving, and start shipping them at the day of halving. I personally believe that they already have the next generation working already, like they did with the S7  Wink
To 3. Mining?

3. ordering expensive miners early. bmt did a number on all of us this time. i mine btc exclusively in hosting now as i cannot stand the sound.
coming summer, in typical hosting even the 2-fan S7 will probably have to be downclocked at some point.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

To 3. Mining?
legendary
IMO Bitmain will not sell a miner with a drastically different design than the S7.  I don't think we will ever see another even series. 

I'm like you...  I believe BITMAIN has found the closure they want for future rigs (the current S7 closure) and will design future rigs for that closure.  Keeping the same closure will also make shipping cheaper for those who have the S7 boards and will want to upgrade to the S9 boards.  Especially, once the S7 boards are barely or no longer profitable [depending on your power cost and difficulty].

As for WHEN they come out with a new rig and whether or not it has the next generation chips (16nm), it's anyone's guess.  I personally do not believe we see a 16nm rig by BITMAIN until September or October.

Did you notice my offer  Grin

I think Bitmain will have S9's by then.  However, it may be more profitable for them to replace all their S7's before selling S9's to us.  This is more likely IMO. 

If you think S9's will be released shortly after halving; why are you buying S7's?

I don't know the name of the next generation, but yes, i believe there will be a new one around the halving.
Because i am selling them to individual customers who will not buy 10pcs from a farm.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
IMO Bitmain will not sell a miner with a drastically different design than the S7.  I don't think we will ever see another even series. 

I'm like you...  I believe BITMAIN has found the closure they want for future rigs (the current S7 closure) and will design future rigs for that closure.  Keeping the same closure will also make shipping cheaper for those who have the S7 boards and will want to upgrade to the S9 boards.  Especially, once the S7 boards are barely or no longer profitable [depending on your power cost and difficulty].

As for WHEN they come out with a new rig and whether or not it has the next generation chips (16nm), it's anyone's guess.  I personally do not believe we see a 16nm rig by BITMAIN until September or October.

I think Bitmain will have S9's by then.  However, it may be more profitable for them to replace all their S7's before selling S9's to us.  This is more likely IMO. 

If you think S9's will be released shortly after halving; why are you buying S7's?
legendary

Activity: 868

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Haven't seen a dedicated speculation thread for it yet, there's been far more speculation as to whether any new generation of chips actually exists in a mass-producable model yet. Looking into the past I would gamble there being an "S7+" or something of the sort. It's a tremendously costly process to retool a factory and bitmain is going to keep pumping out s7 hashboards as long as possible, I'm betting on a couple more batches of the s7 single fans, and then who knows? Hopefully a 4-6 board rig with some small efficiency gains or maybe some lower sound levels.

Me neither, so i thought i ask around here...
Yeah, well, that would be rahter oldschool to come up with S7+ "crappy" miner with the halving standing at your door....
BF, Bitmain 16nm -> 0.1J/GH Homeminer shortly after halving =  Wink Roll Eyes
What'll likely happen is Bitmain will seemingly come out with a miner with slightly higher efficiency, but running on underclocked BM1385 chips, just like the S2 and S4s. Amazing how effective Bitmain markets their miners, underclock em a bit and call it a new miner. Ofc it might not happen as the S6 hype was killed by Bitmain skipping 6 and going to 7, but still it's a definite possibility that they'll reuse some 4U rackmounts and use up their remaining BM1385s on some rebrand miners while they begin production on a new miner chip.

Pages:
Jump to: