Pages:
Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 88. (Read 808757 times)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10
October 12, 2013, 11:34:00 AM
and what will they sell now?
They've got 500 TH of product coming...

Would you buy a blade at this point? They need the next gen product if they want to compete from now on, I am not arguing that asicminer hasnt been profitable in the past, just saying the hardware they sell is no longer profitable and there are options that are. AM needs a new product and fast
that's simply not true.

Would you buy a blade at .1 btc?
They will continue to reduce prices to compete with newer tech, that's the way it works.  And people will continue to buy AM product as long as they keep prices competitive.

I doubt I would, because by the time blades are that cheap you still will never make a return. They're not selling them for 0.1 BTC so that comment has no value. So far every time the price decreases it's after the difficulty has increased by a larger factor than the decrease in price.

Look I'm not arguing that asic miner can't somehow turn things around in the future but for right now it's not looking good, and it's not looking good for btc securities in general either. The share price is slowly catching up to this fact.

Bottom line is blades and USB's will not turn this company around.

I may buy back in at some point but right now it's a losing battle, the share price will most likely continue to fall and I don't want to absorb the loss. You can argue that I am crazy and everything I say is BS but the share price continues to fall and it's not because AM is a highly profitable company that sells out faster than it can produce it's hardware.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
October 12, 2013, 10:47:21 AM
My understanding based on previous discussions in the main thread is the 10 gh/s blades cost well more than .1 btc to produce.  Can you elaborate on why you feel they could be priced at .1 btc? or where your getting this estimate?
I just pulled out a number.  I don't recall their exact cost (I do believe it is below .3 btc), but we don't know the cost of the latest round of hardware (500 TH), yet.

The point is that people will continue to buy blades, if their prices continue to drop.  (price per gh is the driving factor in the current market)

EDIT:  looking back through my notes, Vycid had a number of $1.50/GH for current cost of production (for the last round of hardware).  If that number is correct (I have no reason to think otherwise), then the blades cost ~$15 (~.12 btc) to produce. 

The question then becomes, would you buy a blade for .25 btc or even .5 btc right now?  I think a lot of people would certainly say yes.

Activity: 335
October 12, 2013, 10:41:22 AM

Would you buy a blade at this point? They need the next gen product if they want to compete from now on, I am not arguing that asicminer hasnt been profitable in the past, just saying the hardware they sell is no longer profitable and there are options that are. AM needs a new product and fast
that's simply not true.

They will continue to reduce prices to compete with newer tech, that's the way it works.  And people will continue to buy AM product as long as they keep prices competitive.

My understanding based on previous discussions in the main thread is the 10 gh/s blades cost well more than .1 btc to produce.  Can you elaborate on why you feel they could be priced at .1 btc? or where your getting this estimate?
October 12, 2013, 10:39:17 AM
The margins on the devices could be 100% but if only 25% of them sell its a loss
yet, they've sold 100% of them...

>< nobody is saying they haven't done that in the past. ..what were saying is in the future, they won't be the only in-hand products and the newer generation products do show to be profitable.  Aside from novelty, there will be very little value buying these products.  

AM just needs a new product line, eventually they will run out of impulse buyers and math impaired customers.
October 12, 2013, 10:38:37 AM

that's simply not true.

October 12, 2013, 10:26:36 AM
and what will they sell now? Would you buy a blade at this point? They need the next gen product if they want to compete from now on, I am not arguing that asicminer hasnt been profitable in the past, just saying the hardware they sell is no longer profitable and there are options that are. AM needs a new product and fast
October 12, 2013, 10:18:53 AM
The margins on the devices could be 100% but if only 25% of them sell its a loss
yet, they've sold 100% of them...
October 12, 2013, 10:17:23 AM
He wasn't talking profitable for AM he was talking about profitable for people buying them.  People buying them will not be making a profit even if they have them in hand.  This will keep them from continually buying them as there will be no funds for re-investing in hardware.  Additionally, currently they are selling out because there aren't any other product-in-hand hardware channels.  This window is rapidly closing and AM won't be viewed as an acceptable alternative in the future.
funny, cause I've heard that argument since they started selling the USB miners, and now, they've completely sold out.

So, I guess it didn't work like that.
October 12, 2013, 10:12:54 AM
AM is now a hardware sales company at a time when the hardware they sell has been proven unprofitable.
that's complete bullshit.  AM has sold out of their hardware, which means the demand is still there.  

Profitable?  The margins on these devices are still very high (over 50%).

People can't act like the exchanges failing had nothing to do with the share price.  The share price took a massive hit after the BTCT announcement.  On the BitFunder announcement, it halved.

Hi there Senor Anger Management,

He wasn't talking profitable for AM he was talking about profitable for people buying them.  People buying them will not be making a profit even if they have them in hand.  This will keep them from continually buying them as there will be no funds for re-investing in hardware.  Additionally, currently they are selling out because there aren't any other product-in-hand hardware channels.  This window is rapidly closing and AM won't be viewed as an acceptable alternative in the future.

Thank you for clarifying, yes I meant profitable for buyers, and now most people know it. The margins on the devices could be 100% but if only 25% of them sell its a loss
October 12, 2013, 10:08:13 AM
AM is now a hardware sales company at a time when the hardware they sell has been proven unprofitable.
that's complete bullshit.  AM has sold out of their hardware, which means the demand is still there.  

People can't act like the exchanges failing had nothing to do with the share price.  The share price took a massive hit after the BTCT announcement.  On the BitFunder announcement, it halved.

Hi there Senor Anger Management,

He wasn't talking profitable for AM he was talking about profitable for people buying them.  People buying them will not be making a profit even if they have them in hand.  This will keep them from continually buying them as there will be no funds for re-investing in hardware.  Additionally, currently they are selling out because there aren't any other product-in-hand hardware channels.  This window is rapidly closing and AM won't be viewed as an acceptable alternative in the future.

October 12, 2013, 09:56:13 AM

People can't act like the exchanges failing had nothing to do with the share price.  The share price took a massive hit after the BTCT announcement.  On the BitFunder announcement, it halved.
October 12, 2013, 09:47:18 AM
I currently do not own asicminer, I sold all my shares when we dropped below 1.5 the last time. I lost money just like everyone else, but it's a little childish to blame people on this thread for the downtrend. They are plenty of real reasons am is going down and everyone knows it. The knnejerk reaction of getting mad and looking for someone to blame is natural, but not fair at all. AM is now a hardware sales company at a time when the hardware they sell has been proven unprofitable. That's the bottom line and until AM changes something the share price will continue its downward tumble, stopping only for panicked investor who prop up the price. Once enough proppers lose money it will free fall below 0.5 is my guess. This is just my opinon and observations and truly not FUD. The share price trend is the FUD and the real reason the selloff will continue.
Activity: 146
Merit: 100
@WiRED
October 12, 2013, 09:42:13 AM
I think that boards members havent quite sold yet, and that ASICMINER has a future, probably with some kick ass design in 2014, preferably 28nm full custom-there was a need for R&D and friedcat covered that by spreading risks between different teams. The money is being put to good use.

Meanwhile the competition that once was in front of ASICMINER like BFL or AVALON are now dead to customers.

Since August, new challengers (bitfury,kncimer) are appearing @ full force. I wait for Hashfast and Cointerra to deliver.

I am also looking to see if a bitcoin price crash will happen soon(mtgox probably), I remember this quote:

Certainly coins eventually get enticed out with a high enough price, in the last crash 150k coins instantly appeared, all desperate to sell for something remotely close to the 260 high, a similar rush of coins could easily knock price back to double digits because all the coins offered on Gox are just a smidgin of the total supply. 

The coins held by Gox but not actually offered are clearly very very numerous as the speed at which the 150k appeared could only have come from coins already in the Gox system.  So while their were technically only 20k coins offered their were probably 10 times that number 'lurking' and waiting to pounce once it looked like the market had peaked.  That's why the price was unsustainable, it was a lie that their were really only 20k coins available.

When your supply numbers are so manipulated it's so easy to manipulate the market by withdrawing or moving bids.  This is part of why Gox is so BAD as a market, it allows the out right lie of putting out offers that are never intended to be filled and will be retracted as soon as price approaches them, no legitimate market allows this kind of behavior.  If people were allowed to put in only true bids and offers and not retract them or place them at a panic speed then we would not see bubbles grow to this magnitude.

Also I'm not really convinced someone is pumping the market in preparation for a dump (wouldn't be the least surprised if that was the case though), some BTC whale might really think they are becoming 'wealthier' or are even making everyone with BTC wealthier by driving this thing up, people can really be that dump particularly in BTC land.

In August,it seems to me that one of the reason the ASICMINER' shares price plummeted to 2 from 4 was: (http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg90zczsg2013-08-01zeg2013-08-31ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv)

A sudden move up in the bitcoin price. (http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/bitstampUSD#rg90zczsg2013-08-01zeg2013-08-31ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv)

Now I cant predict the future but would like to know, if we are coming back to double digits, what will happen with the shares price?..
Activity: 378
October 12, 2013, 09:16:49 AM
I just can't accept that massive loss...every time I thought to myself this time will be bottom... and couple of days later, new bottom reached...The current thinking is I know that there is no way for me to cover the massive loss..  390 BTC invested is only worth 115 BTC right now...  70% of its value gone ...what should I do ? I think I am kind of burning myself at this moment.
Please don't burn yourself neither do anything stupid like that.

That being said, as long as you did what everyone everywere suggests, i.e. "don't invest more that you can afford to lose", you can easily think of this as a hard-earned lesson. Definitely not the end of the world.

although that I made 70% loss on AM ,my overall result of my investment still profit at this moment... I do understand that still much better than others...but I used to earned a luxury car, now it only worth to buy a motor bike... Nice time indeed....
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
October 12, 2013, 09:13:13 AM
I just can't accept that massive loss...every time I thought to myself this time will be bottom... and couple of days later, new bottom reached...The current thinking is I know that there is no way for me to cover the massive loss..  390 BTC invested is only worth 115 BTC right now...  70% of its value gone ...what should I do ? I think I am kind of burning myself at this moment.
Please don't burn yourself neither do anything stupid like that.

That being said, as long as you did what everyone everywere suggests, i.e. "don't invest more that you can afford to lose", you can easily think of this as a hard-earned lesson. Definitely not the end of the world.
October 12, 2013, 09:10:33 AM

I think the only way is to keep trust in Friedcat, as he may bring a miracle revenge of the cat....
Hoping for miracles is stupid.
I'm holding the shares I have left, at a loss of ~33% (including dividends gains), only because the regret I would feel in the unlikely case they would go up would be much more than that I would feel if I keep them and they bottom to 0.

At least I was able to sell ~half of them.

[/quote]

I just can't accept that massive loss...every time I thought to myself this time will be bottom... and couple of days later, new bottom reached...The current thinking is I know that there is no way for me to cover the massive loss..  390 BTC invested is only worth 115 BTC right now...  70% of its value gone ...what should I do ? I think I am kind of burning myself at this moment.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
Bitgoblin
October 12, 2013, 09:00:47 AM
I think the only way is to keep trust in Friedcat, as he may bring a miracle revenge of the cat....
Hoping for miracles is stupid.
I'm holding the shares I have left, at a loss of ~33% (including dividends gains), only because the regret I would feel in the unlikely case they would go up would be much more than that I would feel if I keep them and they bottom to 0.

At least I was able to sell ~half of them.

Partly true but there was plenty of trolling in there too.
If by trolling you mean keeping telling the truth and helping people even when everyone scorns you, then yes he was trolling.
Like Cassandra.
Activity: 160
Merit: 100
October 12, 2013, 08:28:50 AM
Vycid is a smart guy who had an opinion based on facts and consistently repeated that opinion in public in the face of scorn from many. He would have profited from that opinion anyway. But he got a few small fish like me to escape before being wiped out by the whales. I don't see what he did as being unethical. Unusual? Yes, but not unethical.

Partly true but there was plenty of trolling in there too.
October 12, 2013, 08:27:57 AM
Vycid's arguments had a lot to do with getting me out of AM. For weeks I saw what he was writing. It kind of annoyed me but I kept reading it anyway. Thankfully, I realized he was probably right in time to keep most of my profits. He didn't have to do it. He would have made decent profits out of shorting AM anyway. I haven't seen a shred of evidence that his actions moved the market. Let's face it, the market only really turned south when the weekly dividends started to dry up. Why did the weekly dividends dry up? Competition, just like Vycid said it would. When I saw ghash.io's hashate outstrip AM's in a couple of weeks, it became frighteningly clear that AM's price was ridiculous and doomed to fall and I got out.

Vycid is a smart guy who had an opinion based on facts and consistently repeated that opinion in public in the face of scorn from many. He would have profited from that opinion anyway. But he got a few small fish like me to escape before being wiped out by the whales. I don't see what he did as being unethical. Unusual? Yes, but not unethical.

Congratulation that you did follow the right signal, I feel upset for myself that when I was get huge profit from AM ,then reentry the stock at the price of 3.3 ,it not only taking away all my profit , it also causing me very close to loss position.. I am so regret ,, but what Can I do ?I think the only way is to keep trust in Friedcat, as he may bring a miracle revenge of the cat....
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
October 12, 2013, 08:25:21 AM
And another mining Co has gone tits up...
I was expecting AM to earn something form sales of hardware but looking at the share price, I was wrong.
Pages:
Jump to: