Pages:
Author

Topic: ASICMINER Speculation Thread - page 98. (Read 808757 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
September 26, 2013, 12:48:19 PM
the knc pre-order was suspicious since the started, it goes like customer can pay with payal/cc, but delivery date is a bit more than 3 months, which is beyond the refundable period of paypal/cc. A calculated move, I guess.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
September 26, 2013, 12:28:57 PM
Knc update:

No redunds from now
No chips yet
Proof of hashing coming in days

Great news for AM shareholders and miners.

I haven't followed the KnC thing, but here all the late bets are a No.

Love that people are willing to still bet no for a .3% return
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
September 26, 2013, 12:28:07 PM
even bitfury was few weeks late, I guess KnC will ship within this year.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
cryptoshark
September 26, 2013, 12:16:45 PM
Knc update:

No redunds from now
No chips yet
Proof of hashing coming in days

Great news for AM shareholders and miners.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
September 26, 2013, 12:08:51 PM
(...) he announced the 2nd gen would be 55/45 (...)

I don't remember he announced that, and I can't find any record of him saying this in his history. Could you link me to that announcement?

Of course.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2246754

I actually fucked up - he said "65/55" not "55/45". My mistake - all 3 are ITRS nodes or half nodes.
If it does turn out to be 65/55 while the competition will have 28nm tech going out around the same time, well then we will be going back to sub-1 values.  I really hope that is not the case.

KNC's 28nm has worse parameters than Bitfury's 55nm. So node size really doesn't say anything

That's because KNC's design is an FPGA conversion. Bitfury's is a full-custom, just like Cointerra's and HashFast's and ASICMiner's will be.

(So, yeah, the node says a lot, just not everything.)
You never go full custom.

Except with ASICs.
Activity: 336
♫ the AM bear who cares ♫
September 26, 2013, 02:23:58 AM

I don't remember he announced that, and I can't find any record of him saying this in his history. Could you link me to that announcement?

Of course.

I actually fucked up - he said "65/55" not "55/45". My mistake - all 3 are ITRS nodes or half nodes.
If it does turn out to be 65/55 while the competition will have 28nm tech going out around the same time, well then we will be going back to sub-1 values.  I really hope that is not the case.

KNC's 28nm has worse parameters than Bitfury's 55nm. So node size really doesn't say anything

That's because KNC's design is an FPGA conversion. Bitfury's is a full-custom, just like Cointerra's and HashFast's and ASICMiner's will be.

(So, yeah, the node says a lot, just not everything.)
Activity: 406
September 26, 2013, 01:16:01 AM

Of course.

If it does turn out to be 65/55 while the competition will have 28nm tech going out around the same time, well then we will be going back to sub-1 values.  I really hope that is not the case.

Activity: 146
Merit: 100
September 26, 2013, 12:56:07 AM

I'll keep to my word.  If you worried, we can escrow the bets.

Congrats, mechs - wager paid this morning

Someone should def be giving Kibbles a +1 trust.. 

In the bitcoin world, this is def worth a trust.
Activity: 210
September 26, 2013, 12:27:15 AM

Of course.

If it does turn out to be 65/55 while the competition will have 28nm tech going out around the same time, well then we will be going back to sub-1 values.  I really hope that is not the case.
September 26, 2013, 12:24:35 AM
I bought a few more shares at <2.

The divs alone are worth it at this low price.
Only if the dividends are maintained.  

I think with bitfury shipping and more of the competitors with October/November shipping dates, ASICMiner does not seem to be giving out news indicating it will be able to keep up with this next generation.  It was easy when their competition was BFL and Avalon (2 poorly run companies), but now serious competition has come and minig about to be commoditized.  

You can quote me on this - Asicminer is at 2.2 right now.  It will see 1.2BTC before 3.2BTC.  

I'll quote it.  Gentlemans wager of 1BTC?  You pick the exchange.
I am more like 0.5BTC sure;)  BTCT the exchange on the ASICMINER-PT shares.  
I win if any trades for 1.2BTC before 3.2BTC
You win if vice-versa
deall?

Sounds good! No short selling on your part.

kibbles is a man of his word and made good on his wager.
Activity: 557
Merit: 500
September 25, 2013, 10:03:10 PM
I bought a few more shares at <2.

The divs alone are worth it at this low price.
Only if the dividends are maintained.  

I think with bitfury shipping and more of the competitors with October/November shipping dates, ASICMiner does not seem to be giving out news indicating it will be able to keep up with this next generation.  It was easy when their competition was BFL and Avalon (2 poorly run companies), but now serious competition has come and minig about to be commoditized.  

You can quote me on this - Asicminer is at 2.2 right now.  It will see 1.2BTC before 3.2BTC.  

I'll quote it.  Gentlemans wager of 1BTC?  You pick the exchange.
I am more like 0.5BTC sure;)  BTCT the exchange on the ASICMINER-PT shares.  
I win if any trades for 1.2BTC before 3.2BTC
You win if vice-versa
deall?

Sounds good! No short selling on your part.

September 25, 2013, 06:10:05 PM

Of course.

Activity: 362
September 25, 2013, 05:29:52 PM

September 25, 2013, 04:30:25 PM
If we can say that AM is coming out with 2nd gen chips in December (55/45 nm), then we can say that Cointerra and HashFast are coming out with 3rd gen chips in December (28 nm).

Something to keep in mind.

do we know that AM's 2nd Gen are 55/45?  I think the last time FC talked about specs like that, it was several months ago, so plans may have changed.

In any case, 28nm is Gen1 for the other 2

You can't change plans for an ASIC like that. You can't just call up the foundry and say, "uhhh, actually I want my chips made with 28nm HPP thanks", even if your design would work with a simple optical shrink. You'd also need a new thermal design.

The planning for all this at least 6 months in advance of the delivery date. FC would have needed to be executing the change at about the same time he announced the 2nd gen would be 55/45 - and given FC's communication style, he definitely would not have specified a process if he wasn't sure.

And if Cointerra is releasing a Gen 1 chip, then Valve's upcoming Steambox is a Generation 1 console, unlike its 8th generation competitors.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_video_game_consoles_(eighth_generation)

(I note that there have been two previous Xboxes and this latest one will be part of the eighth generation.)
Activity: 476
September 25, 2013, 03:32:03 PM
If we can say that AM is coming out with 2nd gen chips in December (55/45 nm), then we can say that Cointerra and HashFast are coming out with 3rd gen chips in December (28 nm).

do we know that AM's 2nd Gen are 55/45?  I think the last time FC talked about specs like that, it was several months ago, so plans may have changed.

In any case, 28nm is Gen1 for the other 2
September 25, 2013, 02:17:07 PM

September 25, 2013, 02:12:33 PM
HashFast and Cointerra have no product as yet. And AM will have second gen chips so there is nothing much to worry about here.
+1

You can wait around for new generation until the end of the year, and MAYBE it will arrive on time, or you can buy AM right now.  That's the choice, and people are choosing to have their hardware now. 
This loss of btct.co is going to hurt the value of AM and all other securities - it was the most liquid and trusted exchange.  Liquidity does have its value.  I suppose the upside is less counterparty risk.

I wonder if the price of direct shares will go higher than the passthroughs. As there is no risk of exchange closure or from the PT operator running away with the money. Only risk of FC/AM not honouring the shares. But if that would ever happen passthroughs will instantly become worthless. So there is less risk which should fetch a premium.
I think direct shares will continue to trade at a discount due to lack of liquidity.  I suppose if the transfer gets botched and people lose shares from this, then the opposite effect you mentioned may occur.
Activity: 784
Merit: 501
September 25, 2013, 02:01:19 PM
HashFast and Cointerra have no product as yet. And AM will have second gen chips so there is nothing much to worry about here.
+1

You can wait around for new generation until the end of the year, and MAYBE it will arrive on time, or you can buy AM right now.  That's the choice, and people are choosing to have their hardware now. 
This loss of btct.co is going to hurt the value of AM and all other securities - it was the most liquid and trusted exchange.  Liquidity does have its value.  I suppose the upside is less counterparty risk.

I wonder if the price of direct shares will go higher than the passthroughs. As there is no risk of exchange closure or from the PT operator running away with the money. Only risk of FC/AM not honouring the shares. But if that would ever happen passthroughs will instantly become worthless. So there is less risk which should fetch a premium.
September 25, 2013, 01:54:49 PM
+1

Activity: 476
September 25, 2013, 10:16:38 AM
+1

Pages:
Jump to: