Pages:
Author

Topic: Bitfury: "16nm... sales to public start shortly" - page 51. (Read 108494 times)

Activity: 516
Merit: 500
I doubt the container will have a huge effect - it just makes it a bit simpler for the BIG FARMS to move up a generation, but I suspect it won't be cheap.

Well combining the cooling solution on top of the containers with the miners does not make sense. Although it looks cool, but it would make it more costly if you have multiple of those containers.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
I doubt the container will have a huge effect - it just makes it a bit simpler for the BIG FARMS to move up a generation, but I suspect it won't be cheap.
legendary
Activity: 3892
Merit: 4331
Re container: probably a good deal if it costs 1-2mil and you have spare 2MW available.
I calculate that with halving coming and assuming just 2X difficulty increase until july 1 and 2X difficulty increase from July1 to Dec31 maximum bitcoin revenue would be somewhere between $4-5 mil in 12mo and ~$0.9-1.8 mil in electricity cost per year (first number for $0.05/kwh and second for $0.1/kwh).
However, who knows how much difficulty will increase. On the upside, price can increase and bail you out.
I wonder if anybody on the forum have access to 2mW?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
I don't much like it either. They still haven't responded to my requests. I guess that's one of the consequences of not being a millionaire, but not being a millionaire is one of the consequences of being unwilling to borrow and burn other people's money.

Again, no love for the forum who provided them money to rise. Shame!
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012

That top picture is not too far off the mark to be honest.
legendary
Activity: 974
Merit: 1000
BAMM - a WORKING 16 nm full custom ASIC chip @TSMC ! 5x more efficient than our 28nm. Sales to public start shorlty. Decentralize @Bitcoin !

https://twitter.com/bitfurygeorge/status/677132522074017794

This will raise the difficulty even more, that will promote more centralization unless they limit orders sizes, which I find highly unlikely.   We are at a point that centralization will not be stopped, the only thing that could slow this process, is if the chip makers stopped self-mining and raising the difficulty.   Bitcoin mining is a zero-sum game so what one person does, affects all miners.

I totally agree ... greediness on both sides (seller and mass-commercial buyer) will prevent distribution and only force even more centralization of hash farms.

I  wonder how much such a BitFury container will cost!???
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1026
Mining since 2010 & Hosting since 2012
BAMM - a WORKING 16 nm full custom ASIC chip @TSMC ! 5x more efficient than our 28nm. Sales to public start shorlty. Decentralize @Bitcoin !

https://twitter.com/bitfurygeorge/status/677132522074017794

This will raise the difficulty even more, that will promote more centralization unless they limit orders sizes, which I find highly unlikely.   We are at a point that centralization will not be stopped, the only thing that could slow this process, is if the chip makers stopped self-mining and raising the difficulty.   Bitcoin mining is a zero-sum game so what one person does, affects all miners.

-D

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1005
I don't much like it either. They still haven't responded to my requests. I guess that's one of the consequences of not being a millionaire, but not being a millionaire is one of the consequences of being unwilling to borrow and burn other people's money.

I guess that is normal behavior. Back in the day when they started pre-selling the first version of their miners for 100 BTC (some of you might remember) you had to put a deposit down of at least 1 BTC to get your position. I did that, but decided against buying a miner. I asked them 3 times for the deposit back, NOT ONCE an answer.  Undecided

What was the the dollar value at the time?

in the range of 120 to 65 falling and then ascending again. it was after the spring bubble 2013.
Just checked it was mid July 2013 and the price was between at 122.55 USD per BTC.
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

I guess that is normal behavior. Back in the day when they started pre-selling the first version of their miners for 100 BTC (some of you might remember) you had to put a deposit down of at least 1 BTC to get your position. I did that, but decided against buying a miner. I asked them 3 times for the deposit back, NOT ONCE an answer.  Undecided

in the range of 120 to 65 falling and then ascending again. it was after the spring bubble 2013.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com

I guess that is normal behavior. Back in the day when they started pre-selling the first version of their miners for 100 BTC (some of you might remember) you had to put a deposit down of at least 1 BTC to get your position. I did that, but decided against buying a miner. I asked them 3 times for the deposit back, NOT ONCE an answer.  Undecided

I guess that is normal behavior. Back in the day when they started pre-selling the first version of their miners for 100 BTC (some of you might remember) you had to put a deposit down of at least 1 BTC to get your position. I did that, but decided against buying a miner. I asked them 3 times for the deposit back, NOT ONCE an answer.  Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
legendary
Bitfury is, nobody else has any chips yet or any of the NEEDED specs to design a miner WITH from this chip.

They do.

what they do?

Others have specs / designs and some will be receiving chips ASAP if not already.

That is what I loved in the Bitcoin world at the very beginning. The inner circle feeling. Especially if you are outside of the inner circle.

Satoshi Roundtable, etc, etc LOL

^^I hate it in general!

Boy, I guess you leaved the Kindergarten already?

EDIT: NOT a personal attack against you! But I hate this habits as much as I can. It comes from the old world with their private circles.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Bitfury is, nobody else has any chips yet or any of the NEEDED specs to design a miner WITH from this chip.

They do.

what they do?

Others have specs / designs and some will be receiving chips ASAP if not already.
legendary

They do.

what they do?
legendary
dogiecoin.com

They do.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Part 3 - Testing with immersion cooling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSbmuBvDWo0

144 GH per chip
Drawing 154w per TH

We could get easily 10TH miners drawing only 1.5KW which is a good deal nowadays, but I'm not sure if that is going to be good enough in March.

0.15 for a next-gen unit is NOT impressive, I'd stick with air-cooling (MUCH lower cost than that immersion stuff) and run the chip in it's EFFICIENT operating range.

Or do the immersion cooling (on commercial-scale gear) but still don't push the chip that hard.

anyone able to design a miner with this chip?

Highly unlikely, they've got more than enough money to sit this generation out or go OEM for a while.

Avalon will be sitting out for 3-4 years at least, if they do skip this generation. If they try to break in late, they're going to be fighting a lot of inertia, installed base, and they're actually going to have to compete on PRICE to get a significant number of sales.

Might not kill them, but it's certainly not going to help them.

Pages:
Jump to: