Pages:
Author

Topic: BITMAIN AntRouter R1: 1st wireless networking device with bitcoin mining chip - page 8. (Read 77432 times)

copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464
Clueless!
zOU, I've bought a cheap USB 2.0 hub and it still doesn't pick up more than one U3 Sad

I'm at my wits end, I bought the R1 so I could have a at least a couple of U3's hashing away (although slow) rather than go to the expense of a Rpi and associated gear.

supposedly a trick where you plug a 2.0 usb into a 3.0 usb hub and miners work (something like that) both powered......others? (sorry just flag'd a dubious memory) Smiley
zOU
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
★ these are stars ★
Well a RPI is a lot cheaper than a R1, and you could recycle it to another use after.

I'm sorry, I don't have a R1, so I can't really help.

Have you tried each U3 independently and connected directly to the R1

Check if they're working this way.
If so, the pb is not with the U3's
Then connect your hub, and check the U3 one at a time
then try adding the U3.

Maybe they need to be plugged in the hub before the R1 starts ?
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
zOU, I've bought a cheap USB 2.0 hub and it still doesn't pick up more than one U3 Sad

I'm at my wits end, I bought the R1 so I could have a at least a couple of U3's hashing away (although slow) rather than go to the expense of a Rpi and associated gear.
zOU
Activity: 728
★ these are stars ★
Hi guys,

Is there something ive got to enable on the R1 for it to recognise more then 1 U3? Im running them through a Sabrent 4 port Usb 3.0 hub which works fine with one. But when I hook up a second I cant seem to get it to appear on the R1 gui and the hashing light doesn't come on.

Anyone?

Search for hub in this thread, there's only 2 pages.

People have been successful with cheap usb 2 hubs, maybe give it a try ?
Usb3 doesn't bring any improvement for the U3
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000
4.9.0 is not the version bitmain forked (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_%28software_development%29 - fork means they took the cgminer code and reworked it to their own ends, but along the way they messed stuff up and did things inefficiently and ignored feedback from ck and kano), I think they forked like v4.6.0 or 3.8.0 or something.  There is a whole history of bitmain's cgminer crappy forks, a little searching on the forum should shed some light (especially posts by ck and kano on the subject).

Anyway, no reason not to use the latest 4.9.2, you should actually see improved performance.  Just don't use 4.9.1, it had a bug where it wouldn't recognize the U3.

U3 thread (every U3 owner should ready this thread page 1-end): https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/antminer-u3-discussion-and-support-thread-827356
Things bitmain's cgminer fork ignores: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/optimal-firmwarehardware-design-for-mining-with-cgminer-294499
cgminer 4.9.2 stuff (can read through pages following for occasional U3 related posts): https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11597292
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
The U3 zombies no matter what software controls it, it's not a cgminer issue and definitly not a v4.9.2 issue.

Bitmains fork of cgminer is crap, it's filled with bugs and crappy code and is outdated.  I invite you to do a little research on it.

Why would you want to use outdated and broken software?

I'm definitely looking into it, as I don't know what a "fork" is.  I need to see how/why the 4.9.0 version of cgminer that I'm using on my Raspberry Pi is "filled with bugs and crappy code" when I've had it run my U3 flawlessly.  The only thing I see is that it's outdated.  New versions of things aren't always better than the original.  Coke... the M16 rifle?  If it's working... why fix it?
legendary
The U3 zombies no matter what software controls it, it's not a cgminer issue and definitly not a v4.9.2 issue.

Bitmains fork of cgminer is crap, it's filled with bugs and crappy code and is outdated.  I invite you to do a little research on it.

Why would you want to use outdated and broken software?
try updating to 4.9.2, it has fixes specific to the U3 in it (and uses --au3 commands instead).

Why?  So my U3 can zombie like everybody else's?  There's currently nothing wrong with it, why would I need specific fixes?

You are using an old bitmain fork of cgminer

I don't even know what that means.
legendary
so it trips me out that everyone has so many problems with it.
You are the exception, not the rule, and illustrate that every U3 is different.

You are using an old bitmain fork of cgminer if you're still using bmsc options, try updating to 4.9.2, it has fixes specific to the U3 in it (and uses --au3 commands instead).
My R1 came in the mail today and i've already read *every* post in this thread.  Makes me feel stupid for the comments I wrote previously.... anywho.... I upgraded to CrazyGuy's firmware and am solo'ing on Ck.  This has been fun.

Though I have to say... I'm SHOCKED at all the complaining about the U3.  I bought a u3 back in December.  I'm using a raspberry pi to control it and I've never received a "zombie"... ever!  In fact, it's been running flawlessly for over a month straight.  I finally unplugged it today so I could play with it in the R1.  What settings have people been using in CGminer to do it?

When I installed and configured cg miner, I enabled the bmsc options. 
I edited /etc/rc.local and added...

cd /home/pi/cgminer
screen -dmS cgminer ./cgminer --bmsc-options 115200:0.57 -o POOL -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD --bmsc-voltage 0800 --bmsc-freq 1286

The moment I turn on the Rpi, it boots and runs cgminer.  I don't even have keyboard/mouse/video hooked up to the Rpi.  It sits near my computer on my desk and I tell people it's my "nerdy desk decoration."  Again, I haven't touched it in forever so it trips me out that everyone has so many problems with it.  Perhaps I just bought the best one? *shrug*
Activity: 721
Merit: 504
So if I bought an R1 and took it to work... say I plugged it in to my wall socket and ran Cat5 from the wall's ethernet port to the R1, I'd be solo mining at work *and* give myself a little wifi hotspot?

or... maybe the opposite?  Have the R1 connect wireless to my wifi router and plug in an S3 or S5 to the ethernet jack?  That would be nice... I could put an S3/S5 in a place where I normally wouldn't be able to.
yes that what I did ,nice and quiet
Activity: 588
I bought this router. And I have a problem with it. No matter with which the mining pool is connected shows 100% discarded packets.

Did you test it with the standard firmware on the Antrouter website using your Bitmain email first?

Rich

Hi. Router has original firmware not custom but I wrote bitmain id with error. Thank You for Your time. I always thought that the device can dig in any mining pool but it is not, or is it?

Greetings.

The reason I asked if you were on the original firmware was because with it you can only mine at the Antrouter special pool using your Bitmain registered email. You cannot connect to any other mining pool that your question implied.

The only way to mine on other pools is to SSH into the miner and make changes or use the CrazyGuy firmware. I would however recommend getting things going on the Antrouter special pool first.

Rich
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
I bought this router. And I have a problem with it. No matter with which the mining pool is connected shows 100% discarded packets.

Did you test it with the standard firmware on the Antrouter website using your Bitmain email first?

Rich

Hi. Router has original firmware not custom but I wrote bitmain id with error. Thank You for Your time. I always thought that the device can dig in any mining pool but it is not, or is it?

Greetings.
legendary
How long are you letting it run for?  Most pools start out with a diff around 1000, and it's going to take a long time for 5GH to submit a couple shares >1000 diff to get the pool to adjust the worker diff down.  Until that happen it will only be submitting shares less than the pool diff so they will be rejected.
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
Hi guys,

Is there something ive got to enable on the R1 for it to recognise more then 1 U3? Im running them through a Sabrent 4 port Usb 3.0 hub which works fine with one. But when I hook up a second I cant seem to get it to appear on the R1 gui and the hashing light doesn't come on.

Anyone?
legendary
Activity: 1456
So I have an R1 and a U3.  Should I pull the U3 away from the pool that it's mining in order to aid the solo mining R1?  Does adding more hashing power really improve the already low odds of finding a block?  Just curious!

I personally would lotto mine with the U3 as it's not enough hash to really make much.   Does it improve chances? Sure does.  But again were taking about 40-50 GH device so really is small amount.   You chances are will never see a block with a singe U3.

So that is the decision you can mine a very small amount with it.... or can try solo.  No wrong anwser.
So I have an R1 and a U3.  Should I pull the U3 away from the pool that it's mining in order to aid the solo mining R1?  Does adding more hashing power really improve the already low odds of finding a block?  Just curious!
legendary
Activity: 1456

Rich

I would agree with looking at GUI on setup.  Can you show us your screen with pool setup?   That might help us see something wrong.

Also rich's comment is very good on knowing what firmware your using.  As if you using the custom firmware you have a lot more options.
Activity: 588

Rich

Pages:
Jump to: