Pages:
Author

Topic: Discussion about 10,000BTC Bet (Official) - page 34. (Read 104454 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
September 07, 2012, 11:35:17 PM
What will happen if Matthew's Server gets hacked and all his bitcoins stolen ?

BAM!
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
September 07, 2012, 11:33:47 PM
What will happen if Matthew's Server gets hacked and all his bitcoins stolen ?
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090
September 07, 2012, 11:32:53 PM
I recall Pirate claiming to have about 500k BTC in discussing playing the market, but I do not recall his saying that amount was owed? Wasn't he supposedly earning half or more as much himself as his depositors were?

-MarkM-
Activity: 700
daytrader/superhero
September 07, 2012, 11:32:06 PM
Those saying "Pirate must be paying this weekend" did you forget...

a) Matt's bet was that Pirate would pay per the terms on his thread (which included interest up to the hour of repayment)

b) Over a week ago pirate stated he will NOT honor the terms of his contract and suspended interest retroactively back to the Friday of closure.

This.

Unless pirate pays all interest up to the minute payment is made, Matt loses the bet. Pirate already stated this would not happen.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
September 07, 2012, 11:27:12 PM
Those saying "Pirate must be paying this weekend" did you forget...

a) Matt's bet was that Pirate would pay per the terms on his thread (which included interest up to the hour of repayment)

b) Over a week ago pirate stated he will NOT honor the terms of his contract and suspended interest retroactively back to the Friday of closure.

If hypothetically 3 weeks ago Pirate owed 500K BTC (the # he claimed) and tomorrow he repaid 500K BTC Matt would still lose the bet.   
In the last 3 weeks another 130K (~$1.4 million) extra interest has capitalized.  So Pirate would need to repay ~630K BTC not 500K BTC.

Even if Pirate intended to repay and had the ability to repay, why would anyone think he is going to give up $1.4 million extra dollars just to ensure Matt doesn't lose his bet?

Activity: 672
Merit: 258
https://cryptassist.io
September 07, 2012, 11:19:22 PM
the only possibility as I see it for matt to win is that pirate actually owes a much smaller amount than everyone assumes.  Does anyone actually have concrete data on how much is owed?
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
September 07, 2012, 11:10:17 PM
I have a feeling that payments will be going out this weekend, so I would advise everyone to get their bitcoins ready for payment to Matthew.

~DonShrents

I have the same feeling, hence why I sent this message to Matt earlier today - just for the record:

"Matt, I already made some side deals to neutralize my bet with you, so in the event pirate doesn't pay I would need the 6K to repay these other people. So right now I'm "all in" with pirate."

So yeah, I've got all my chips on P right now. It seems odd I know, but I think it's actually the most likely outcome based on the evidence as I see it. If I'm wrong I will suffer for it, but I'm taking a stand. As Sherlock Holmes said: eliminate the impossible, and then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Btw if you happen to know pirate, can you confirm that he has my new withdrawal address for this final account transaction?

ta,
BA
It's impossible that pirate is a scammer?

No, I mean I've thought about this long and hard, and my conclusion is that Pirate will pay this weekend. Evidence includes the fact that his returns are possible, as very trusted bitcoiners know how this could be done. The "impossible" potentials in this case IMO are: (1) Matt actually has this kind of coin and is this crazy or (2) Matt, a key figurehead in bitcoin, would ruin his reputation. I don't think either is likely, so the only final potential is that pirate will pay. Not flawless logic I know, but that's my reasoning and hence why I decided to neutralize my bet. If I'm wrong, I will accept responsibility and eat my losses, and blame nobody but myself.
Eat up all the PPTs to 0.5 BTC, and leave a bidwall at 0.4
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
September 07, 2012, 11:09:58 PM
I have a feeling that payments will be going out this weekend, so I would advise everyone to get their bitcoins ready for payment to Matthew.

~DonShrents

I have the same feeling, hence why I sent this message to Matt earlier today - just for the record:

"Matt, I already made some side deals to neutralize my bet with you, so in the event pirate doesn't pay I would need the 6K to repay these other people. So right now I'm "all in" with pirate."

So yeah, I've got all my chips on P right now. It seems odd I know, but I think it's actually the most likely outcome based on the evidence as I see it. If I'm wrong I will suffer for it, but I'm taking a stand. As Sherlock Holmes said: eliminate the impossible, and then whatever is left, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

Btw if you happen to know pirate, can you confirm that he has my new withdrawal address for this final account transaction?

ta,
BA

No, I mean I've thought about this long and hard, and my conclusion is that Pirate will pay this weekend. Evidence includes the fact that his returns are possible, as very trusted bitcoiners know how this could be done. The "impossible" potentials in this case IMO are: (1) Matt actually has this kind of coin and is this crazy or (2) Matt, a key figurehead in bitcoin, would ruin his reputation. I don't think either is likely, so the only final potential is that pirate will pay. Not flawless logic I know, but that's my reasoning and hence why I decided to neutralize my bet. If I'm wrong, I will accept responsibility and eat my losses, and blame nobody but myself.

I have to agree with you. Matt might not always act it, but he is an intelligent individual. As far as I understand, it is very likely Pirate pays out this weekend, or soon.
September 07, 2012, 11:00:28 PM
Is matthew still taking bet increases?  Closed out several client accounts today.  Can transfer to BTC on request though the xfer would take a few days since it isn't on gox already.

1750 BTC

1EzdZBu6DJUqScXFbRYbTXPqTcXNAUKAxc

People who aren't willing to roll the dice should stop trolling.  You just look like idiots.  Put at least some skin in the game if you want to mouth off.  it doesn't matter if it's $5 or $5000.

Accepted

Matthew, please inform the Powers that Be when you are finished taking bets, so that final payouts for BTCST can be arranged and completed prior to your deadline.

~DonShrents

SHH. I SAID PM ME ONLY.
Activity: 96
Merit: 10
September 07, 2012, 10:59:57 PM
Is matthew still taking bet increases?  Closed out several client accounts today.  Can transfer to BTC on request though the xfer would take a few days since it isn't on gox already.

1750 BTC

People who aren't willing to roll the dice should stop trolling.  You just look like idiots.  Put at least some skin in the game if you want to mouth off.  it doesn't matter if it's $5 or $5000.

Accepted

Matthew, please inform the Powers that Be when you are finished taking bets, so that final payouts for BTCST can be arranged and completed prior to your deadline.

~DonShrents
September 07, 2012, 10:57:36 PM

1750 BTC

Accepted
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
0xFB0D8D1534241423
September 07, 2012, 10:51:29 PM

~DonShrents

ta,
BA
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
September 07, 2012, 10:24:39 PM
This is exactly the level of discourse that this topic deserves.
I am starting to hate money too, LightRider.

It's not about hating money, it's about recognizing its flaws and building a better paradigm.

Paradigm of implementation, not paradigm of concept. Bitcoin is still, at the basic level, a medium of exchange - also known as money.

I'm referring to a resource based economy, which eschews money, as opposed to our current monetary system, which promotes corruption, destruction and death.

Again, paradigm of implementation.

And I've never really understood how anything gets done in a "resource based economy."

We begin to operate on the basis of math, science and reality, as opposed to assumptions, fantasy and false authority.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
September 07, 2012, 10:19:28 PM

1750 BTC

Are you betting with or against him?

And I wanted to bet but Matt wouldn't let me.
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
September 07, 2012, 10:15:48 PM

I know the 9th (Sunday) is the bet deadline....but what time and time zone? We need an official countdown.
Korea. It's in one of his posts in the bet thread.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 07, 2012, 10:07:44 PM

1750 BTC

Who are you talking to?

Most of us here are in fact betting against Matthew.
Activity: 672
Merit: 258
https://cryptassist.io
September 07, 2012, 09:57:38 PM

1750 BTC

Activity: 700
daytrader/superhero
September 07, 2012, 09:48:11 PM

~DonShrents

Hear that guys? Pirates gonna pay off his marks investors....for real this time!!!.... honest!! Everyone get ready, forums poster donshrents has a feeling this scammer will have a change of heart....sounds legit, guys!

Donshrents doesn't realize is that Matthew said that if pirate pays out as he said he would which was all bitcoins and all interested accrued up until the hour they were returned. At this moment7% weekly interest on 500k bitcoins is like....over 100k bitcoins. So at least 600k bitcoins need to be returned.

Pirate already stated in IRC that he wont be paying out interest even after promising it. So this by default is what shows me that the bet has already been lossed. It's just a deadline technicality to finalize the bet.

Time's a ticking...

Quoted for truth.

I know the 9th (Sunday) is the bet deadline....but what time and time zone? We need an official countdown.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
September 07, 2012, 09:44:40 PM

~DonShrents

Hear that guys? Pirates gonna pay off his marks investors....for real this time!!!.... honest!! Everyone get ready, forums poster donshrents has a feeling this scammer will have a change of heart....sounds legit, guys!

Donshrents doesn't realize is that Matthew said that if pirate pays out as he said he would which was all bitcoins and all interested accrued up until the hour they were returned. At this moment7% weekly interest on 500k bitcoins is like....over 100k bitcoins. So at least 600k bitcoins need to be returned.

Pirate already stated in IRC that he wont be paying out interest even after promising it. So this by default is what shows me that the bet has already been lossed. It's just a deadline technicality to finalize the bet.

Time's a ticking...
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
September 07, 2012, 09:31:12 PM

~DonShrents

Hear that guys? Pirates gonna pay off his marks investors....for real this time..... honest!! Everyone get ready, forums poster donshrents has a feeling this scammer will have a change of heart....sounds legit, guys!

WE SO EXCITED, WE WE SO EXCITED.
Pages:
Jump to: