Pages:
Author

Topic: FOR SALE - D750 750W Server PSU Breakout Boards - page 5. (Read 47357 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
V0.5 board documentation: http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf

There's also a link on the product page describing how to load-balance multiple supplies.

Officially, we don't support running two overclocked S1 units off a single supply. Unofficially, people have gotten 800W sustained out of these supplies without any problems.

We're working on the next board revision, which shouldn't change any operating points so all specs for the V0.5 boards will still hold. All the changes are for increased ease of manufacture.
Additionally, the first DPS-2000BB boards will ship to us on Friday so middle of next week we'll start assembling and get ready for load-testing. They should be pretty overbuilt, I'm not anticipating any issues with power handling and all the electronics (fan control and whatnot) was triple-verified with schematics of prototyped circuits so hopefully we'll be able to go straight into production on those.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Im running 2 ants per psu as well with no problems so far. Bob, do you adjust the fan speed or leave it at its slowest setting?
Activity: 546
Owner, Minersource.net
So I bought one, and they're great.  My question is, can I put two antminer S1's at stock clock on one power supply?  The S1 claims to pull 360 watts, so with two I'm pulling 720, which is pretty close to the stated 750W.  Is there an inordinate amount of risk in pushing the 750W power supply to that level?

We have had no problems running 2 per PSU times several hundred ants. Works very very well for the cost.
Activity: 742
So I bought one, and they're great.  My question is, can I put two antminer S1's at stock clock on one power supply?  The S1 claims to pull 360 watts, so with two I'm pulling 720, which is pretty close to the stated 750W.  Is there an inordinate amount of risk in pushing the 750W power supply to that level?
Activity: 26
Merit: 0
Received by Kit today - after myself starting to get impatient with the post here lol (my fault for living on the wrong side of Australia).

Didn't come with any documentation, has anyone got the pdf for v0.5 revision board?

Thanks.
legendary
Nokia's phone business just got finished selling to Microsoft. They'll start breaking any day now.

I got enough spare parts for my Sony Z310a flip-phone to stay in cellular for probably another five years before giving up and building my own phone. I assume in 5 years touchscreen bricks will be the only option left.
Activity: 574
Mining for the hell of it.

They don't break...
legendary
Sorry, my phone is just a phone.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Well everyone has their own standard for "freaking LOUD". I agree that, at full fan speed - heck even at half speed - they're pretty annoying. But the fans don't need to be up that fast to keep the supplies cool outside of a highly-restrictive-server installation. Mine are running at probably less than quarter speed, about a tenth of the full-speed noise, at 85-90% load for months with no problem. I know some people are touchy about being able to hear fans but honestly I don't care much. I am less annoyed by three of those server supplies with properly adjusted fans than a high-strung GPU fan though, if that helps. I have some running GPUs, and the GPU fans are definitely louder.

And actually, the most annoying server fan I've run into so far was on the DPS-800. I had one running two S1 for a couple weeks to see how it behaved, and those fans are internally thermostat controlled so there's no manual adjustments. Asking 800W from it really pushed the fan up into "Holy crap that's irritating" territory, far past the volume level of a manually adjusted and comfortable-steady-state-cooling 750W Dell.

If I had a dB meter I could give you comparisons, because it's pretty clear my fan noise tolerance is atypically high. I know a guy that can only sleep with earplugs, with less fan noise going on.The last time fans kept me up it was actually the lack of fan noise - a PSU died and my equipment turned off, which the sudden silence woke me up before the fans had even finished spinning down.

If you have an android or iphone there are actually a few decent sound meter apps
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Well everyone has their own standard for "freaking LOUD". I agree that, at full fan speed - heck even at half speed - they're pretty annoying. But the fans don't need to be up that fast to keep the supplies cool outside of a highly-restrictive-server installation. Mine are running at probably less than quarter speed, about a tenth of the full-speed noise, at 85-90% load for months with no problem. I know some people are touchy about being able to hear fans but honestly I don't care much. I am less annoyed by three of those server supplies with properly adjusted fans than a high-strung GPU fan though, if that helps. I have some running GPUs, and the GPU fans are definitely louder.

And actually, the most annoying server fan I've run into so far was on the DPS-800. I had one running two S1 for a couple weeks to see how it behaved, and those fans are internally thermostat controlled so there's no manual adjustments. Asking 800W from it really pushed the fan up into "Holy crap that's irritating" territory, far past the volume level of a manually adjusted and comfortable-steady-state-cooling 750W Dell.

If I had a dB meter I could give you comparisons, because it's pretty clear my fan noise tolerance is atypically high. I know a guy that can only sleep with earplugs, with less fan noise going on.The last time fans kept me up it was actually the lack of fan noise - a PSU died and my equipment turned off, which the sudden silence woke me up before the fans had even finished spinning down.

The DPS-800 does get loud. but IMO the worst is the artesyn 835w supplies. They sound okay up to about a 550W draw, then start to really get loud. at 800W+ they are basically srieking due to the tiny singluar 60mm fan
legendary

Activity: 574
Mining for the hell of it.
Hmm i keep on scratching my head on this. The only thing that I do not like is the fact that the Dell PSUs are freaking LOUD.
legendary
We still have boards, and should have fairly reliable stock for the forseeable future. Anyone wanting full kits, we are out of stock on power supplies until Friday but have plenty of boards and cables. Full Kit orders that come in won't be shipped until the end of the week, but any board/cable orders can be met immediately.

A general update on product development:

We've had some delays with the PCB design, partly because of other projects and partly because of the back-and-forth required for peer reviews - which become more difficult when there's only two people to look at it and both of them are fairly constantly busy. This PCB is a fair bit more complex than the D750 boards, by merit of the built-in fan controller circuit and some required signal inversions, with all the surface-mount components on one side - plus we're trying to design it with heavy internal traces that won't require the external bus wiring. That's somewhat new territory which merited writing up some thermal dissipation code to help out, and we're talking with a different board house than with the D750, an outfit that specializes in high-power traces. We sent the latest board revision (I believe V0.7) to them this afternoon to check out, hopefully we'll be able to place an order and have a short batch back within 7-10 days so we can assemble and start load-testing them. I spent today working on base designs for a 3KW adjustable dummy load so we can do our best to destroy the boards and see what their limits are; DPS-2000BB supply is rated for about 165A but have been tested to operate around 200A, so the board is tentatively rated for 240A. That's the max for the screw terminals and current-measure circuit, at least; hopefully the heavy traces hold up without external bus wiring. If additional buswiring is required for reliable operation at stupidly-high currents, we'll add that to the initial prototype batch and work on revising the design. Once the prototype batch is tested satisfactorily we'll have a few available. Some will probably ship to a few potential large customers and we'll probably have a few for sale to folks that jump on it quick, but after the design is proven it'll be several weeks before we'd have the start of a large batch brought to market. Honestly I wouldn't look for a steady supply before sometime in June.

Design is definitely an iterative process, and we've been lucky so far to not have any catastrophic issues so stuff could be immediately brought to market after initial testing. As we learn more and refine designs more, and develop better tools and processes, stuff will be easier and faster to manufacture. The next D750 boards we'll apply what we learn from the DPS-2000BB development, and hopefully not need external bus wiring on those. All told, we should be able to cut the manufacturing time in half (compared to the original V0.4 boards) while still maintaining, if not increasing, overall quality and reliability.

Starting in a week or so we'll have another full-time guy around to help with manufacture, and we're also constantly working on new tools and methods to ease the process, so once we get to making the next batch of D750 and the first run of DPS-2000 boards, they ought to come off the line fairly quickly. We're also looking into improving the cable-making infrastructure, which if we can pull off what we want to do, we'll be able to have custom-length cable orders and additional standard lengths like 24, 30 and 36 inch in addition to the current 18".
legendary
That, sir, is a heck of a lot of power.

No word on DPS-800 boards. That other guy is selling some so we're not really gonna prioritize fighting him. Work is progressing on DPS-2000BB boards, stalled of course because we got distracted with some other projects and, well, doing business and stuff.

Still got a bunch of these here 750W boards available.
Activity: 403
Merit: 250
Sidehack / et. al.,

10 nights ago I put a single AntMiner S1 *AND* a 16 card MegaBigPower Bitfury M-board + H-cards on one of these Dell PSU configurations.  I then attached said combination to a kill-A-watt and plugged into the wall.  For 10 days now this PSU with these miners attached has been pulling between 925 and 965 watts at the wall with *NO* problems.  Now, I'm not recommending you do this same thing however I can say with certainty that it has been done .... by me.  On another note, any news on the DPS-800 breakout board?

H@shKraker
legendary
Yep we still got a bunch of 'em. Email sales and see what we can do for ya.
Activity: 397
Merit: 350
Hey I need some ordered to the UK for a friends. What's the deal can we get them?
Activity: 403
Merit: 250
All,

I have to date ordered, received and am running 6 of these boards with Dell PSUs across 9 AntMiners, 2 BLF SCs and a rack of 16 BitFury V1.2 hashing cards.  Thus far my business dealings with SideHack have been SUPERB and the product he makes does EXACTLY what it's billed to do.  Many thanks SideHack.

H@shKramer
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
I switched 5 Ants over to the 3-panel, that I had running on three separate boards externally wired up in pretty much the same way except without unified fan control. Seems to be working well so far. If I can template all the changes and materials for that setup we should be able to batch some without a lot of trouble.

Also I'm drawing up schematics for an external load-balancing circuit for the DPS-800. If I can get it successfully prototyped this weekend would be nice, and we can get onto PCB design in the next few days. It'll still be many weeks before we'd have a board ready to ship, since we'll first have to get test boards made and stress-test them either into oblivion or passable standards, then get a large batch ordered and start manufacture. I don't see having them before May.

Oh also, anyone buying boards now (or that has bought boards in the last week or so) is getting the new V0.5 boards shipped. The main changes affecting customers are a different DIP switch setup, better current measurement, and the PSU-side connector is actually the real part so it should slot into place a lot smoother and more reliably. New documentation is at http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf

Thanks for the quick shipping!  I got them yesterday! 

Thanks again, and they're running smoothly on my OC'd Ants!

~Girard
Activity: 546
Owner, Minersource.net
Just thought id let anyone in Australia know that I bought 2 x of the adapter boards with cables from Sidehack to connect up the 750W power supply and it works like a dream.
Compared to what I had rigged up already, these boards make connecting up an Antminer S1 a piece of cake. I also love the fact that now I can power cycle the Ant by simply flicking the switch.
Not to mention being able to control the fans, without having to jumper the pins, to put them at a quieter operating level.
The cables that come with it have not even gotten warm as they are nice and thick guage.
From the time I ordered and paid for the boards, it took about 2 weeks, which I think was mainly due to them being held up in customs, but they arrived no worries at all. Sidehack posted the gear the day I paid for them.
So anyone hesitating buying these boards to run with the Dell server power supplies for a bucketload cheaper than the Corsairs or others, just do it. You wont regret it.

Great feedback!

I just got me a pair as well!

Thanks!

Girard

+3
You will not find a better way to power ants per $ than this here folks.
Pages:
Jump to: