Pages:
Author

Topic: FOR SALE - D750 750W Server PSU Breakout Boards - page 6. (Read 47357 times)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Just thought id let anyone in Australia know that I bought 2 x of the adapter boards with cables from Sidehack to connect up the 750W power supply and it works like a dream.
Compared to what I had rigged up already, these boards make connecting up an Antminer S1 a piece of cake. I also love the fact that now I can power cycle the Ant by simply flicking the switch.
Not to mention being able to control the fans, without having to jumper the pins, to put them at a quieter operating level.
The cables that come with it have not even gotten warm as they are nice and thick guage.
From the time I ordered and paid for the boards, it took about 2 weeks, which I think was mainly due to them being held up in customs, but they arrived no worries at all. Sidehack posted the gear the day I paid for them.
So anyone hesitating buying these boards to run with the Dell server power supplies for a bucketload cheaper than the Corsairs or others, just do it. You wont regret it.

Great feedback!

I just got me a pair as well!

Thanks!

Girard
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Just thought id let anyone in Australia know that I bought 2 x of the adapter boards with cables from Sidehack to connect up the 750W power supply and it works like a dream.
Compared to what I had rigged up already, these boards make connecting up an Antminer S1 a piece of cake. I also love the fact that now I can power cycle the Ant by simply flicking the switch.
Not to mention being able to control the fans, without having to jumper the pins, to put them at a quieter operating level.
The cables that come with it have not even gotten warm as they are nice and thick guage.
From the time I ordered and paid for the boards, it took about 2 weeks, which I think was mainly due to them being held up in customs, but they arrived no worries at all. Sidehack posted the gear the day I paid for them.
So anyone hesitating buying these boards to run with the Dell server power supplies for a bucketload cheaper than the Corsairs or others, just do it. You wont regret it.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
I switched 5 Ants over to the 3-panel, that I had running on three separate boards externally wired up in pretty much the same way except without unified fan control. Seems to be working well so far. If I can template all the changes and materials for that setup we should be able to batch some without a lot of trouble.

Also I'm drawing up schematics for an external load-balancing circuit for the DPS-800. If I can get it successfully prototyped this weekend would be nice, and we can get onto PCB design in the next few days. It'll still be many weeks before we'd have a board ready to ship, since we'll first have to get test boards made and stress-test them either into oblivion or passable standards, then get a large batch ordered and start manufacture. I don't see having them before May.

Oh also, anyone buying boards now (or that has bought boards in the last week or so) is getting the new V0.5 boards shipped. The main changes affecting customers are a different DIP switch setup, better current measurement, and the PSU-side connector is actually the real part so it should slot into place a lot smoother and more reliably. New documentation is at http://www.gekkoscience.com/misc/V0.5_Board_Doc.pdf
Activity: 403
Merit: 250

I have a fully-featured 2950 supply board. It's not going to get any more features. The only changes we're going to make to future board layouts are to make manufacture easier.

The DPS-800 board is actually an easier board to design. It's got internal fan speed, 3.3V and 5V internally regulated - the only thing that supply doesn't do is load-balance. So I could design external load-balancing for the folks that want to cluster them, or just put out a direct breakout board with no current-share circuit.

As for the target market being bitcoin miners, that's because it's the only community I have a place in. So far we've spent exactly zero money on advertising. Once we have a better webstore infrastructure we can put resources into telling people on RC sites, and ham radio sites, and GPU-computing sites, and who knows what else. And even with high-end miners shipping with their own power supplies, there's still going to be people that want *better* power supplies for when the internal ones asplode.

Man .... that's cool because I just came into ownership of 12 DPS-800 PSUs.  Soooooo ...... count me in as a guaranteed sale :-D  On the prewired one-panel, 3 PSU  setup for the D750 boards .... that's cool too.

H@shKraker
legendary
I'm working on a prewired one-panel setup for the D750 boards. Plug in three supplies, get 2200W of load-balanced power with a single switch and single fan speed control. All relevant signal lines are tied to implement single-switch and single-knob operation as well as current sharing, and the busses are tied with dual 12AWG lines to ensure a low-resistance high current path between supplies for unevenly distributed loads. Header pins are still available for 3.3VSB and 5V aux lines, as well as current sense and a master EON so you can turn all three supplies on and off simultaneously from a remote signal. Anyone interested, let me know. Don't really have a price yet, but it should be comparable to buying three boards together. Or three full kits, if you get the 3-way panel and three PSUs.

It'll be 6 to 8 weeks before we have a DPS-2000BB board ready to roll. This unit will give you the same power with the same controls and the same number of interface points, just for (unfortunately) more money and three power cords instead of one. Oh and the DPS-2000BB requires you to rig up your own fans and this doesn't. Oh and this'll run off 110V and the DPS-2000BB won't.

Also we're looking at having some quantity of 36" cables in addition to the 18" cables.

SideHack,

It turns out I also have good access to 750W HSTNS-PL18 - HP 750W Power Supply for ProLiant DL180 G2 Servers.  I've compared the card edge to the DPS-800 PSU and the card edges are ALMOST card edge compatible (i.e. the gold pads are a bit wider for some and narrower for others).  Unfortunately I don't know if they are pin assignment compatible though.  If you want I can ship you one of these 750 watt PSUs so you can play around with it.

H@shKraker
One thing I've been meaning to mention, the HP DPS-800GB A (and derivative DPS-800 units) is nearly the exact same PSU as the HP ATSN 7001044 - Y000 (and derivitive ASTN 700xxx units).  By this I mean the parts are edge connector compatible and pin compatible.  The one difference between the two is the ATSN PSU will drive 900W at 110-120VAC and 1000W at 200-240VAC whereas the DPS unit will drive 850w and 1000w respectively.  On the ebay search thing, if one searches for BOTH of these HP part numbers the total number of hits just now is around 146.

H@shKraker
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
a more "full featured" product - where the load balancing is built in - and where the fan speed control works properly across all the different rev numbers of the Dell 2950 supplies - is more important than coming out with a board to support another different power supply.

I have a fully-featured 2950 supply board. It's not going to get any more features. The only changes we're going to make to future board layouts are to make manufacture easier.

The DPS-800 board is actually an easier board to design. It's got internal fan speed, 3.3V and 5V internally regulated - the only thing that supply doesn't do is load-balance. So I could design external load-balancing for the folks that want to cluster them, or just put out a direct breakout board with no current-share circuit.

As for the target market being bitcoin miners, that's because it's the only community I have a place in. So far we've spent exactly zero money on advertising. Once we have a better webstore infrastructure we can put resources into telling people on RC sites, and ham radio sites, and GPU-computing sites, and who knows what else. And even with high-end miners shipping with their own power supplies, there's still going to be people that want *better* power supplies for when the internal ones asplode.

these would be good for home theater as amp power supplies..  check out this

http://www.parts-express.com/astec-12v-24a-288w-regulated-and-filtered-power-supply-with-case-and-accessories--129-004

which contains this :

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0&_nkw=Astec+AA21660&_sacat=0&_from=R40

your item would be better then the above.
legendary
a more "full featured" product - where the load balancing is built in - and where the fan speed control works properly across all the different rev numbers of the Dell 2950 supplies - is more important than coming out with a board to support another different power supply.

Activity: 58
Merit: 0
I'm thinking I might just not worry about loadbalancing. Not sure a lot of people are really using it anyway... I'll see what I can do about getting some DPS-800 boards out in the next few weeks to a month.

Keep in mind - this is just my opinion, (and I'm probably biased because I have a bunch of the Dell 2950 supplies):

If I search on Ebay for DPS-800 power supply I come up with about 113 hits.  If I search on Ebay for Dell 2950 power supply - I get about 300 hits.

So the amount of Dell 2950 supplies out there available seems to roughly be double the amount of the DPS-800 supplies.

Now I've already bought a bunch of your existing boards for the Dell supplies - and my original plan was to use the supplies in "clusters" - so that I'd have multiple supplies powering multiple S1 Antminers.  I was going to do like 4 or 5 supplies - to power 3 Antminers.  I figured that would allow me redundancy - AND still be able to keep the fans turning very low on the PSU's to keep the noise down.

So from my perspective at least - a more "full featured" product - where the load balancing is built in - and where the fan speed control works properly across all the different rev numbers of the Dell 2950 supplies - is more important than coming out with a board to support another different power supply.

So the predicament you're in now is the classic one that pretty much everybody who builds a product comes into:  make the existing product better and add features - or - make another product to serve a different market.

Everybody only has so much time and energy - you've just got to decide where to spend  yours.

The other thing to bear in mind is:  what's your market?  Right now  you're selling these to people who are powering Bitcoin miners.  The days of the independently powered Bitcoin miner seem to be numbered , seeing as how a lot of the high hash rate units that are coming out are now coming with their own supplies.  Combine that with the recent IRS ruling - and the dump in the Bitcoin price today, and I'd even start to wonder about Bitcoin mining itself.

There's probably other markets for these boards: test labs, battery chargers? - I don't know.  So you might want to think about what would sell better,  a more fully featured Dell 2950 board - or a board for a different supply.

Just my .0002 BTC.
legendary
The Z750 supplies? My board has fan speed so you can quiet them down substantially.
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
i got 4 of them for 20 usd each shipping included very nice but loud like a vacuum cleaner Smiley
legendary
I'm thinking I might just not worry about loadbalancing. Not sure a lot of people are really using it anyway... I'll see what I can do about getting some DPS-800 boards out in the next few weeks to a month.
Sidehack,

Coolio sir.  Soooo you're saying I *SHOULD* go ahead and stock up on those PSUs because you for sure will have models for DPS-800 supplies .... right??

H@shKraker
legendary
I could start making them pretty soon if I didn't care about load-balancing. If I've done all my checking correctly, it's going to require an external circuit to implement load sharing and I haven't had time to prototype the design that I have figured out for that particular problem. Hopefully I can do that soon.
Sidehack,

Speaking of DPS-800 PSUs how are your controller boards for those PSUs coming along?  I happen to currently have good access to DPS-800 units and I'd like to put them to work.  Hope all is well.

H@shKraker
Activity: 857
Merit: 1000
Anger is a gift.
Nifty. I'm actually not fielding customer emails on this round, but the guy in charge of handling shipping stuff sorta pulled an all-nighter on other tasks (he was still here at 8AM) so he might not have gotten to your emails. Tracking numbers are getting entered in the order database, but we haven't automated tracking customer emails yet. That's probably going to be implemented soon.

I ordered last Thursday, I think, and my full kit arrived Monday. No complaints here, just a nice surprise when I got off work.
legendary
Nifty. I'm actually not fielding customer emails on this round, but the guy in charge of handling shipping stuff sorta pulled an all-nighter on other tasks (he was still here at 8AM) so he might not have gotten to your emails. Tracking numbers are getting entered in the order database, but we haven't automated tracking customer emails yet. That's probably going to be implemented soon.
Activity: 447
Sidehack, Could you check your email.  I am looking for tracking info for my order this past Friday.
LOL.  Seen you were on the forums and sent you another email.  Now, just as I was getting ready to leave the building to go to a customers site, the postman caught up to me with my order.  I see a little bitmain happening here.....receiving the package before the tracking info is sent.   Grin

Any way, since I posted the above post here, I thought that I should show that I did receive another order from you.

Thanks.

I will add a little positive trade for you.
legendary
Wow, that review page really likes animated banner ads.
Pages:
Jump to: