Pages:
Author

Topic: How about Vanilla coin - page 11. (Read 10160 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001
February 12, 2016, 11:39:19 PM
As for the whole code issue, John-connor has an acknowledgment on the VNL website towards peer coin and wrote that he used peer coin as a reference while writing VNL.
I don't really care whether he inadvertently used some btc/ssl/goldcoin/ whatever came before that code to pull off the mundane crypto currency things.
If you don't like it, take it up with a legal body that cares....  wait there is none.

The rest of what icebreaker wrote is garbage.  VNL ZEROTIME transfers work very well, we are months in now and there is no evidence that a double spend has happened.   Where the fuck do you get off  making up shot about fake coins?  Show evidence in the block chain. .. wait you can't because you are full of shit.
His quote from gmaxwell was from VNL's first month after launch and is total and complete bullshit  FUD.  VNL code is open source check it out yourself.
also wasn't it Gmaxwell who was just caught with his pants down because he is selling a lightning network that he has no idea how to finish.

Well John-connor who supposedly has no clue about cryptography has already created one.  Not only that but he has implemented a pruning ledger, so there are no bloat issues.

PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING!!

and before you start your hypocritical shill rant, everyone knows your a core/monero shill so please sit down.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
February 12, 2016, 10:02:56 PM
The part about not assigning attribution properly is honestly overblown since it's an anonymous dev and he's releasing free software, so who really gives a shit.  Whether the software works or not is all I really care about.  Having said that, he told me he was doing some insane number of TPS with no backlog using his insta send method, but nowadays he's saying it does create a backlog and is talking about raising block size to 30MB as I pretty much thought would be required to do these large numbers.

I'm not really sure how to value Vanillacoin at the moment.  If the insta send method doesn't have any security holes (if), then that would provide some increased utility, but transactions still need to be included in a block.  So I guess you get faster speeds only while the network is low traffic and if applied to Bitcoin, wouldn't give any gains if blocks are perma full since you would want to wait until the transaction is actually inside a block?

It seems like you would need to convert to a ledger system for this to be useful at scale and bypass the slowest component, blockchain part, but ledger systems already have insane speeds anyway.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about the usefulness of this here feature.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1018
February 12, 2016, 09:39:04 PM
The one confirmation has always been there for BTC and VNL. That is because Poloniex did a thorough code review as well as trusts the developer. It has been one confirmation for months. There was a problem on Polo's end for a few days where they went back to 7 confirmations and then once fixed it was back to one.  Icebreaker and Smooth constantly try and FUD VNL, this is nothing new. Price starts rising today and all of a sudden Icebreaker is back with year old FUD again. I really wonder if this guy is investing heavily in VNL.  VNL has a team of professional coders, lawyers, etc. it is not some clone coin and it certainly isn't doing anything illegal with code.  Icebreaker seems to have a problem with software that has 500,000 lines of code an 5 of them are the same as other crypto's to keep things compatible and not re-invent the wheel. VNL was written from scratch and more resembles Peercoin than Bitcoin, and dev said he would acknowledge either coin's dev if they asked him to. So far I don't see Satoshi Nakamoto or Sunny King asking John-Connor for that, but he would ablige.  VNL is a real business that is going to change crypto in speed, security, anonymous, and scaling.  Icebreaker congrats on your FUD to get cheap coins if it is working, but seriously it is getting old.
Activity: 445
Merit: 255
February 12, 2016, 06:08:01 PM

As for "instant" transactions, that lasted about a day on Poloniex.  Then they discovered it was probably a way for the Vanilla dev to force-feed them fake VNL in order to clean the exchange out of legitimate coins.

Are you sure about this ? what is your source ?
Thanks
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
February 12, 2016, 05:46:54 PM
Activity: 744
Merit: 500
February 12, 2016, 02:16:58 PM
Hey, how are you famillar with Vanilla coin? It offers zero time transactions (isnt that what we all want from digital currencies?

Check it out here: http://www.vanillacoin.net/

Also, if you have any experience with it or anything else, post your thoughts below.

If XMR famous fudsters especially smooth aka icebreaker criticize a coin, this means it`s a very good coin. Make a research how xmr fudded Vanilla some months ago, so this is a good reason to be sure VNL is a very innovative coin.

Generally XMR assholes are very hostile against every innovative coin.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
February 12, 2016, 01:42:21 PM
Vanilla uses code stolen from Bitcoin, and the scam dev refused to do the right thing when gmaxwell, etc asked him to fix the lack of proper attribution, as required per the software license.

As for "instant" transactions, that lasted about a day on Poloniex.  Then they discovered it was probably a way for the Vanilla dev to force-feed them fake VNL in order to clean the exchange out of legitimate coins.

Is it true that Vanillacoin uses the BTC code?
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/is-it-true-that-vanillacoin-uses-the-btc-code-1151160

GMAXWELL:
[VNL] Vanillacoin, a quiet word of warning.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/vxc-vcash-was-vnl-vanillacoin-a-quiet-word-of-warning-920344

Smooth VS VNL
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/smooth-vs-vnl-1184904

Thanks for that.

Adding “#L34” to the vnl URI nails it for me:

Code:
int EC_KEY_regenerate_key(EC_KEY * eckey, BIGNUM * priv_key)
{
    int ok = 0;

BN_CTX * ctx = 0;
    EC_POINT * pub_key = 0;

if (eckey == 0)
    {
        return 0;
    }

const EC_GROUP * group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);

if ((ctx = BN_CTX_new()) == 0)
    {
        goto err;
    }

pub_key = EC_POINT_new(group);

if (pub_key == 0)
    {
        goto err;
    }

Code:
int EC_KEY_regenerate_key(EC_KEY *eckey, BIGNUM *priv_key)
{
    int ok = 0;
    BN_CTX *ctx = NULL;
    EC_POINT *pub_key = NULL;

if (!eckey) return 0;

const EC_GROUP *group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);

if ((ctx = BN_CTX_new()) == NULL)
        goto err;

pub_key = EC_POINT_new(group);

if (pub_key == NULL)
        goto err;

That's a lot more than just a structural similarity.

It’s hard for me to see this as anything other than incontrovertible evidence of the author having a naively self-centred perspective on intellectual property rights, broadly translatable as “what’s yours is mine and what’s mine’s my own”.

More tellingly, it's also hard to reconcile this evident difficulty in critical thinking with any kind of work in the area of cryptography, notorious for its relentlessly stern demands of cognitive sophistication in its proponents.

Stand back a few yards and the picture becomes somewhat clearer. I've not even bothered looking at vnl, being confident that it’s just another variant of the “misunderstood but brilliant maverick outsider, wronged by a complacent community” media narrative and all the posturing is entirely consistent, even the expedient arrogation of others’ work. Given the evidence in the codebase, I'm reassured that my confidence is not misplaced, although I do have to admit that his choice of pseudonym is a bit of a give-away in and of itself.

Cheers

Graham
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051
ICO? Not even once.
February 12, 2016, 01:30:44 PM
From a miner's perspective I hate their wallet. Sure, it's lightweight but it offers zero customization. Everything is needlessly small, you can't even resize the window and you can't even solomine to it.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
February 12, 2016, 01:26:16 PM
Hey, how are you famillar with Vanilla coin? It offers zero time transactions (isnt that what we all want from digital currencies?

Check it out here: http://www.vanillacoin.net/

Also, if you have any experience with it or anything else, post your thoughts below.
Pages:
Jump to: