Pages:
Author

Topic: How to sign a message?! - page 33. (Read 141318 times)

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499
No I dont escrow anymore.
October 04, 2015, 02:06:01 AM
I have a question about signed messages so please answer.

If the signable message is short and non random, then can somebody reverse-engineer my private key?

No.

How long has a signed message be to be safe and not leak the private key?

The length does not matter, the private key can not be reversed from the public key. You would have to brute force it, which would take longer than our solar system will ever exist and requires more energy than our sun ever created.
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
October 04, 2015, 01:49:58 AM
I have a question about signed messages so please answer.

If the signable message is short and non random, then can somebody reverse-engineer my private key?

How long has a signed message be to be safe and not leak the private key?
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
October 03, 2015, 05:24:44 PM
A great and very detailed how-to for newbies in this forum. I suggest that this should be stickied for the users to see and notice it especially if they don't know how to sign a message. As always, a great post.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
October 03, 2015, 05:07:01 PM
Activity: 980
October 03, 2015, 04:16:02 PM
-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Im syndria owner of this address today is October,03,2015
-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
17FWb5uqJRP5EkPDjwBzcMQAecHi36Jv1D
IB2RRGYJ9frwm2tKxbVpz1P+crqguOIHfsytFTmos8xuGh/rL0glgm1vYX9DsDhP8fJozT/VyVRRKC4zMRKfwck=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Please Quote and verify thank you for your help

I quoted it in the proper thread -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12592997

Thank you above you told me that its not the proper thread and since they already have quoted my post i didnt deleted it.

Btw your thread helped alot
copper member
October 03, 2015, 04:07:22 PM
IB2RRGYJ9frwm2tKxbVpz1P+crqguOIHfsytFTmos8xuGh/rL0glgm1vYX9DsDhP8fJozT/VyVRRKC4zMRKfwck=

I quoted it in the proper thread -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12592997
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1014
Bitdice is scam scam scammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
October 03, 2015, 07:45:18 AM

The message was signed by the specified address.
However, there is dedicated thread to stake your address https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stake-your-bitcoin-address-here-996318
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029
give me your cryptos
October 03, 2015, 07:39:16 AM

you should post your signed message here instead https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stake-your-bitcoin-address-here-996318
Activity: 980
October 03, 2015, 07:20:02 AM

copper member
September 30, 2015, 08:30:08 AM
Sir how about if i want to buy account with sign message how to do?

My suggestion would be to use escrow. Most sellers will not tell you the exact name of the account in advance. Thus the escrow would have to check for the oldest available address of the account and request a signed message for you.

Like I have linked an old post in my 1st post here. The address posted in Dec 2013 is still under my control. If I wanted to sell my account I could sign a message with this address saying that I freely sold it to you. That way you can proof that I indeed sold the account to you and you are now the rightful owner of the account. You dont have to reveal this signed message unless you need to. As long as nobody questions whether you are the rightful owner of the account shorena you can keep the signed message somewhere safe. Requesting a signed message should be normal for a good escrow service, but it might not always be possible.

Not everyone posted their address in the past. If there is no old address you can still request a message signed with the payment address. E.g. you buy my account and I want the payment on address 1sho... I could sign a message with 1sho... stating that I just sold the account shorena to you.

Once you have control over an account you should stake one of your addresses in this thread by tomatocage -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/stake-your-bitcoin-address-here-996318

This enables you to sign a message in the future should you want to sell the account or if there are other issues where you need to convince someone that you are the rightful owner.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
September 30, 2015, 05:44:29 AM
LEARNT MORE THAN I BARGAINED FOR
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1006
September 30, 2015, 05:29:26 AM

if you are about to buy an account here with signed message ofc, the one who is responsible to provide it is the seller so you only have to ask for it Smiley

Ask the Escrow to help you verify the message if you are not yet familiar with signing a message. Don't buy with out an escrow!
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029
give me your cryptos
September 30, 2015, 05:23:21 AM

if you are about to buy an account here with signed message ofc, the one who is responsible to provide it is the seller so you only have to ask for it Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 1030
Privacy is always important
September 30, 2015, 05:12:09 AM
copper member
September 28, 2015, 02:15:02 AM
Is it possible to sign a message with breadwallet or any other open source wallets like blocktrail or something like that?  I'd prefer to sign a message of mine that has the convenience of not having to download anything on my computer... but then again, I might need too in the long run if I plan on keeping my bitcoins safe... help Huh

Breadwallet (at least the iOS version) does not allow signing and according to this[1] post blocktrail does allow signing either. I did not have the time to test blocktrail myself though so the info might be outdated. Since its only 14 days I doubt that though.

[1] https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.12416551
Activity: 1873
Merit: 840
Keep what's important, and know who's your friend
September 27, 2015, 10:58:45 PM
Is it possible to sign a message with breadwallet or any other open source wallets like blocktrail or something like that?  I'd prefer to sign a message of mine that has the convenience of not having to download anything on my computer... but then again, I might need too in the long run if I plan on keeping my bitcoins safe... help Huh
copper member
September 27, 2015, 04:06:48 AM
Thanks so much sir for explaining in detail how can i sign a message...I was wondering since long time what does signing a message means..it clears a lot of douts of mine..Still how can we verify that the message signed is actually correct?  Huh

See the verify section -> https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/how-to-sign-a-message-990345

It currently lists online services because they are easily available even if you dont have access to your wallet. I plan to add verify guides for wallets over time as well.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1001
September 27, 2015, 03:48:24 AM
Thanks so much sir for explaining in detail how can i sign a message...I was wondering since long time what does signing a message means..it clears a lot of douts of mine..Still how can we verify that the message signed is actually correct?  Huh
I think the easier wallet that offer this is old multibit. You can verify or write a message from the options menu.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
September 27, 2015, 03:45:19 AM
Activity: 560
September 25, 2015, 08:22:17 PM
thank you for this guide it was really helpful, now i know how to sign message to prove ownership
Pages:
Jump to: