Pages:
Author

Topic: Let the Machines do the Work (The end of Slavery) - page 8. (Read 18320 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Google/YouTube
Like a modern Athens.

So who would be our slaves?

The machines, of course.

You FINALLY understand Smiley
I've understood from the beginning. You have to understand something before you can properly agree or disagree with it.

I disagree.

Cheesy, you have brilliantly displayed that you completely can't grasp this for the past few days. lol
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
Like a modern Athens.

The machines, of course.

You FINALLY understand Smiley
I've understood from the beginning. You have to understand something before you can properly agree or disagree with it.

I disagree.
Google/YouTube
Activity: 728
Like a modern Athens.

Google/YouTube
Like a modern Athens.
Google/YouTube
I think you didn't think this one through...

Someone needs still to produce the stuff, and just adding to/getting cut from new money doesn't really produce anything...

Machines already produce most of our stuff. Cars, other machines, toys, money. Machines could do all that work still, we just need a few inventions in between the humans at the factories and the machines that already exist.

I have thought this through very far.
If we work towards a fully unemployed society, eventually the only jobs left are: Mechanic, Inventor and Specialized jobs.

Meaning:

1. Everyone would have a machine that they repaired, or checked on. (even through a webcam as long as it's working)

2. Some people invent new machines, and new things for people to do.

3. Some jobs will still be necessary, until a machine is invented for them. Ex: Brain surgeon.

But, everyone could make a pretty good extra income right now, and we could solve a lot of poverty, hunger, education and child care issues simply by WORKING TOWARDS and unemployed society, I understand that it will not actually be fully unemployed for a long time.

We could basically become a society of businessmen (traders) and inventors, that have knowledge of mechanics and engineering. Like America started out as.

How can you forget artists, creative people!? No computer will ever match the capacity of ones imagination. Maybe I am just biased but can a computer algo produce art? Interesting philosophical proposition to think about.

I didn't "forget creative people", the whole point is to open the world up FOR creative people.

With the jobs done, we are all inventors, artists, actors, mechanics and engineers.
If you ask me, that will be the final Turing test. When an A.I. creates an original composition that I recognize as "art," I'll call it a person.

Imagine if you could purchase an artificial family member and never tell the difference.
Too much like slavery. Pass.

Edit:....and we've come full circle. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
You could argue that art is the interpretation not the media, all paintings are essential just paints applied to a canvas. I think the computer mind is to logical to contemplate an illogical idea and rationalize it. I also think that computers would require emotion, maybe even soul before true creativity is accomplished. Any animal can move around paint on a canvas, not sure about a GOD but certainly nature has a huge effect, geometry is perhaps a possibility for computers to make a transition into art.

Another interesting thought is that idea that monkeys would eventually write a Shakespeare play given enough time pressing buttons at random, the same applies for pixels, inks and so on.

Another interesting aspect of art creation (and I'm going to be making assumptions based on my own talents in artistry,) is that art can be highly logical and very literal.  For example, realism: to accomplish realism, you must draw/paint in a very specific way which lines up with how we view objects in the world.  It requires a lot of technical ability, and you can get away with it without any creativity whatsoever (otherwise, we could make the assumption that every photograph is a piece of art, including the photographs of me speeding past a red light once being used against me in court.)  To create a perfect reproduction of life through a pencil requires only technical ability; computers do this already, and much more efficiently.

Taking into consideration the idea of monkeys and Shakespeare, can we then define art with the requirement of creative input?  Though a set of monkeys could eventually pound out Shakespeare, because they do not understand what they're doing, we cannot assume they understand a thing they're writing about, outside of being a random assortment of key presses.  Thus, although the two copies of Shakespeare, one written by the man, and the other written by monkeys, are identical copies, we can assume one is art and the other isn't.

At what point in time would a computer be able to create art, then?  When it has motivation?  At which point, it would need to have a reason to create, not because it is programmed to, but because it wanted to.  It would have to first experience pain.  We would have to reverse-engineer the human being.  Considering that our entire lives are interpreted through a series of electrical impulses in our minds, it could be possible, if we recreate the human mind with resources outside the normal flesh and blood, to invent an artist.  I imagine it would be incredibly difficult, but I tend to believe nothing's impossible.

If you ask me, that will be the final Turing test. When an A.I. creates an original composition that I recognize as "art," I'll call it a person.

Imagine if you could purchase an artificial family member and never tell the difference.  Anyway, in relation to the thread, I believe there's an odd connection between an artificial person and a real one; in one aspect, you know they're machine, but in another, you know they feel.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Maybe I am just biased but can a computer algo produce art?

Yes; a computer can be programmed to display a random array of colored pixels and a person can interpret it as art.  However, if you ask the machine to reproduce the Mona Lisa in a John Kricfalusi style, you're SoL; only a person (presumably John Kricfalusi) can do that.

By extension, however, since the computer had to be programmed by a human being (or by a computer programmed by a computer programmed by a human being), a computer can never create its own art, only the art a person has programmed it to create.  Therefor, we can determine that all art is created only by human beings; even if a computer could take requests and spit out something like this, it would be because a human being programmed it to do so.

So can A.I. create art?  Or do people owe their talents to a higher being, if not God, but nature itself?

You could argue that art is the interpretation not the media, all paintings are essential just paints applied to a canvas. I think the computer mind is to logical to contemplate an illogical idea and rationalize it. I also think that computers would require emotion, maybe even soul before true creativity is accomplished. Any animal can move around paint on a canvas, not sure about a GOD but certainly nature has a huge effect, geometry is perhaps a possibility for computers to make a transition into art.

Another interesting thought is that idea that monkeys would eventually write a Shakespeare play given enough time pressing buttons at random, the same applies for pixels, inks and so on. I guess this is a little to off-topic lol.
So can A.I. create art?  Or do people owe their talents to a higher being, if not God, but nature itself?
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
Maybe I am just biased but can a computer algo produce art?

Yes; a computer can be programmed to display a random array of colored pixels and a person can interpret it as art.  However, if you ask the machine to reproduce the Mona Lisa in a John Kricfalusi style, you're SoL; only a person (presumably John Kricfalusi) can do that.

By extension, however, since the computer had to be programmed by a human being (or by a computer programmed by a computer programmed by a human being), a computer can never create its own art, only the art a person has programmed it to create.  Therefor, we can determine that all art is created only by human beings; even if a computer could take requests and spit out something like this, it would be because a human being programmed it to do so.

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
I think you didn't think this one through...

Someone needs still to produce the stuff, and just adding to/getting cut from new money doesn't really produce anything...

Machines already produce most of our stuff. Cars, other machines, toys, money. Machines could do all that work still, we just need a few inventions in between the humans at the factories and the machines that already exist.

I have thought this through very far.
If we work towards a fully unemployed society, eventually the only jobs left are: Mechanic, Inventor and Specialized jobs.

Meaning:

1. Everyone would have a machine that they repaired, or checked on. (even through a webcam as long as it's working)

2. Some people invent new machines, and new things for people to do.

3. Some jobs will still be necessary, until a machine is invented for them. Ex: Brain surgeon.

But, everyone could make a pretty good extra income right now, and we could solve a lot of poverty, hunger, education and child care issues simply by WORKING TOWARDS and unemployed society, I understand that it will not actually be fully unemployed for a long time.

We could basically become a society of businessmen (traders) and inventors, that have knowledge of mechanics and engineering. Like America started out as.

How can you forget artists, creative people!? No computer will ever match the capacity of ones imagination. Maybe I am just biased but can a computer algo produce art? Interesting philosophical proposition to think about.
I can smoke a joint and talk about the future at the SAME time, but yes, please do leave so this can end and we can get back to some real talk.
I'm not stopping you. Feel free to start some real talk any time you like. 13 pages is a long time to wait, though, I don't think anyone's going to be willing to wade through all your crazy talk to get to it.

Might want to start a new thread.
Google/YouTube

Damn, and here I thought you had learned that claiming something doesn't make it true. Backsliding already. Sad

I think YOU need to learn that, I keep pointing things out, while you make a statement and act like I'm just 'wrong'. Your statement above proves nothing, except that you are not only a troll, but you are a troll that has nothing left to do but troll... Nothing of value to offer, nothing you think you know that I don't, that I actually end up knowing... You're done. You don't have to leave, but just know from here on out that I know what's going on. So if you're going to troll me, you're going to have to try a little harder, or wait until you're not so drunk, or whatever your problem is right now.

I got a better idea. You go smoke another joint, and I'll go back to doing something productive with my life. Deal?

You mean troll someone else?

I can smoke a joint and talk about the future at the SAME time, but yes, please do leave so this can end and we can get back to some real talk.

Damn, and here I thought you had learned that claiming something doesn't make it true. Backsliding already. Sad

I think YOU need to learn that, I keep pointing things out, while you make a statement and act like I'm just 'wrong'. Your statement above proves nothing, except that you are not only a troll, but you are a troll that has nothing left to do but troll... Nothing of value to offer, nothing you think you know that I don't, that I actually end up knowing... You're done. You don't have to leave, but just know from here on out that I know what's going on. So if you're going to troll me, you're going to have to try a little harder, or wait until you're not so drunk, or whatever your problem is right now.

I got a better idea. You go smoke another joint, and I'll go back to doing something productive with my life. Deal?
Google/YouTube

I guess it is kinda one sided the way I'm schooling you

And now we learn that claiming something doesn't make it true! My, but today is educational for you, isn't it?

You just said "Backing away slowly" a minute ago. Are you REALLY sure you're not high? And you have completely gone off topic, you lost at trolling the facts, then lost at trolling randomly and I just don't know what you are even doing anymore, simply derailing?
Google/YouTube

And now we learn that claiming something doesn't make it true! My, but today is educational for you, isn't it?

You just said "Backing away slowly" a minute ago. Are you REALLY sure you're not high? And you have completely gone off topic, you lost at trolling the facts, then lost at trolling randomly and I just don't know what you are even doing anymore, simply derailing?

Pages:
Jump to: