Pages:
Author

Topic: My 1 gpu now 11gpus 5rigs for Ethereum. 45 days of mining. Photos thoughts. - page 5. (Read 50633 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
A lot has happened in the span of 30 hours. I am lucky to have just reached ROI and all eth coin was sold into BTC.
My ETH coin holding phase was scheduled to start on Weds just past.

My gear will be 140 to run and earn 380  = net 240 a month  new numbers after hack.

older number my gear was 140 to run and earn  632 = net 490 a month before dao hack old numbers

I am just about 60% into my ROI... and at 21$ I was upbeat that my ROI being sooner....

... then the DOA hack happened.... at time of writing ETH is 12.36$.... what a blow!
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
I think I have a PSU problem...

Upon pressing start button.... CPU fan, etc starts then stops.... and within a fraction of a second... it starts again and functions normally.

EVGA 1300w
ASrock H81, Celeron 1840, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD
5 x Saphirre 480
No OC just undervolted -33%
Claymore v5.3, ETH mining only.

Could this be a symptom of a PSU dying?

I thought EVGAs are a cut above the rest

Ideas?

some components (mostly PSU/GPU) will stop then start the fans at boot, often a symptom of the bios checking them then starting up. IME cpu fans dont normally do it though

if you're plugged to a monitor is there any sign of the bios before the "second start"?

either way, doesnt sound like a psu issue unless one of your hookups isnt quite seated properly (such as the 24pin mobo cable having a poor ground/3.3V/etc connection)
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
A lot has happened in the span of 30 hours. I am lucky to have just reached ROI and all eth coin was sold into BTC.
My ETH coin holding phase was scheduled to start on Weds just past.

My gear will be 140 to run and earn 380  = net 240 a month  new numbers after hack.

older number my gear was 140 to run and earn  632 = net 490 a month before dao hack old numbers

legendary

Upon pressing start button.... CPU fan, etc starts then stops.... and within a fraction of a second... it starts again and functions normally.

EVGA 1300w
5 x Saphirre 480

Ideas?

may be the psu board's surge protection.

I have 5 builds.

one is an evga a 2 card build  running 2 r9 390's it turns on then off then on let me see the model  it is a plat 650 pulls 530 watts on a high read kwatt meter pulls 505 watts on a low read kwatt meter.

so I think it is some kind of protection in the psu. since we do the exact same thing on your 1300 watt g2 and on my 650 watt p2
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
it's better to create a tunnel effect between each card, with a 3 140mm like noctua industrial you can cover exactly six card and 4 cm of space between them

putting the GPU on top could have been a better strategy for airflow - then its easier to position the Megaflow at the back to create the tunnel effect.... oh well.... its hashing fine at 176MHs@1290w using Heliox rom mods and temps average 58-62c ... so I will just leave it alone.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

EVGA 1300w
5 x Saphirre 480

Ideas?
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
it's better to create a tunnel effect between each card, with a 3 140mm like noctua industrial you can cover exactly six card and 4 cm of space between them
legendary
yep full speed ahead is not the best move.

wait, wut?

there are other speeds besides "off" and "flat out" ??

but seriously 80% is a good rule. i would of thought however seasonic would have overbuilt the cables. its one reason i went with seasonic.

yeah I made that mistake. most of their cables are 18 awg not 16 awg

you would be surprised at how many plus have come in and out of my home  I would say 100 plus atx psus since 2009 .  As I switched away from suing up mac minis and into build gaming rigs.

Seasonic has had some stinkers as has corsair

evga are very good this is a good one

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-PLATINUM-Crossfire-Warranty/dp/B010HWDP48/ref=sr_1_3?

does 3 rx 480s or 2 r9 390s  with no worries.

long 10 year warranty
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

I got those 200mm Cooler Master Megaflow for my Nano rigs pushing air in between the 5 cards -- so far effective.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G3OLRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are really packed together!

I'm trying to leave about 4cm between the cards

I got them spread out at first, limited only the dimension of the el-cheapo dish tray from the local store.

But the 200mm Megaflow could cover nicely 4 cards (GPU 1-4)
GPU 0 and 5 are vented ok so no temp issues there.
So even the small "1.5mm" into vent is enough for the Megaflow to push air into the intakes and I could feel the increased rush of hot air coming out from the grilled outtake vents.
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

wait, wut?

there are other speeds besides "off" and "flat out" ??

but seriously 80% is a good rule. i would of thought however seasonic would have overbuilt the cables. its one reason i went with seasonic.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500

I got those 200mm Cooler Master Megaflow for my Nano rigs pushing air in between the 5 cards -- so far effective.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008G3OLRQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are really packed together!

I'm trying to leave about 4cm between the cards
legendary
tester

0x71e017514b3338988f0c080b917749ed218b64d0

testing etc mining on nanopool.

I have about 330 hash power

I am pointing 55 at   ETC
https://etc.nanopool.org/account/0x71e017514b3338988f0c080b917749ed218b64d0

I am pointing 275 at  ETH
http://ethpool.org/miners/3ef297e47404a771139472b93621f82c8a832857
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
for the temperature discussion, well my 390's run at 78-81c, I think its too hot - BUT - seems fine.  fans run below 65%.  I dont want my fans to go much higher.  I'm going to install additionnal fans blowing right on the gpu's, plus one fan on the garage window to blow air out.  should be good.  I'd rather my gpu run hot than my fans fail tbh.  i know some prefer the opposite, but hey, under warranty and all Smiley

the 390s runs really hot but highly reliable and stable... my MSI-390s have been doing 50,000 shares per rig and still going without downtime (with occasional failovers) -- hard to believe it's running on Win 8.1

mine runs mid-70s with auto fan and also box fan for good measure - so far so good so i didn't mess with it anymore.

yup if it aint broke, dont god damn touch it Smiley  I'll post my temps when I get my 4 case fans (120-140mm) moving some air around, plus one on the window.  I expect at least 5c less temps.  its about 28c in the shade recently outside though, what can you do.

Activity: 358
Merit: 250
I had this happen also. Its not the PSU or the GPU or overloading the cables, its the connector. Its not a tight fit and sometimes when plugging in and unplugging it results in a loose connection.

Nothing you can do but periodically check the connections or try to use the least amount of current as possible.

This happens even with Platinum type PSUs and people who were gamers and not miners.

I had similar experience. I just replace the cables. I do not over draw the current any more. I just just 80% of the rated power.

For my 1250W power supply, I just use 1050W input power from the wall. That is about 75% of the rated power.
legendary
for the temperature discussion, well my 390's run at 78-81c, I think its too hot - BUT - seems fine.  fans run below 65%.  I dont want my fans to go much higher.  I'm going to install additionnal fans blowing right on the gpu's, plus one fan on the garage window to blow air out.  should be good.  I'd rather my gpu run hot than my fans fail tbh.  i know some prefer the opposite, but hey, under warranty and all Smiley

the 390s runs really hot but highly reliable and stable... my MSI-390s have been doing 50,000 shares per rig and still going without downtime (with occasional failovers) -- hard to believe it's running on Win 8.1

mine runs mid-70s with auto fan and also box fan for good measure - so far so good so i didn't mess with it anymore.

I am very tempted to not expand..  This is all I am running at the moment.
I have reached roi.
I use 1075 watts to get about 125 mh  that is 140 in power with high summer rates.
so close to 500 profit after power.
 And I have quite a bit of paid for gear.

One last factor  the 1075 watt used is not too bad with central ac running set on 76f
my always too cold ht/den is not too cold.

legendary
I had this happen also. Its not the PSU or the GPU or overloading the cables, its the connector. Its not a tight fit and sometimes when plugging in and unplugging it results in a loose connection.

Nothing you can do but periodically check the connections or try to use the least amount of current as possible.

This happens even with Platinum type PSUs and people who were gamers and not miners.

I had similar experience. I just replace the cables. I do not over draw the current any more. I just just 80% of the rated power.

legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
for the temperature discussion, well my 390's run at 78-81c, I think its too hot - BUT - seems fine.  fans run below 65%.  I dont want my fans to go much higher.  I'm going to install additionnal fans blowing right on the gpu's, plus one fan on the garage window to blow air out.  should be good.  I'd rather my gpu run hot than my fans fail tbh.  i know some prefer the opposite, but hey, under warranty and all Smiley

yup if it aint broke, dont god damn touch it Smiley  I'll post my temps when I get my 4 case fans (120-140mm) moving some air around, plus one on the window.  I expect at least 5c less temps.  its about 28c in the shade recently outside though, what can you do.
Activity: 464
Merit: 250

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Depends on how many rigs/how much power they use - if you have enough, you need a lot more than "one venting out".

If I run 14 cards in my garage say 2600 watts the attached garage will no go under 90f with the ac running.

I then need to have venting outside.

I am pushing 880 watts in the garage and 185 watts in the den.  total 1065 watts for 125mh 3 rigs.

no venting just ac running.   It could be 100f outside I would be okay.   I may sit with this as is for the whole summer.  All my gear is now roi'd

the 125mh is earning about 500 a month over power bill.

I have been contacted from my source at provantage that they would be able to do a 50x  75x or 100x r9 480 sale to me.

At this time they are yet to have a skeq #. 

Philip - do you know when estimated 480 sale date will be?

Do you have any early info on MHs / watts for the 480 for ETH mining?

I use 390s and Nanos at the moment and I am very pleased with Nano's profitability and potential resale value.

However the 480 lower price point will mean faster ROI and quicker road to profits.

zero details other then the will give me an offer  when they get the order numbers.

Based on my bulk cpu purchases from them 10 to 20 % discount off retail is possible on hot items.

Does not sound like much of a discount  and will only be good if the gear sells out fast.

Still too soon to know.  You are over seas so it may not be worth while for you to join in if I get a deal.

ETH coin is still doing very well in price $20.91 usd.  If it moves up more   these cards will be hard to get.

I won't take any money or coin until I place the order with a cc.  If I get 50 cards for 7k it is a no brainer    8k  yes    9 k?

No way to tell any more then above.  Just post and look here every once in a while.

ETH at this price and climbing will surely spark a scarcity of the more powerful AMD cards like 390 and Nanos.... I am contemplating to buy more Nanos... but still thinking if I were to wait for the 480/490 and give up that window that I could have mined more ETH.
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

Pages:
Jump to: