Pages:
Author

Topic: My 1 gpu now 11gpus 5rigs for Ethereum. 45 days of mining. Photos thoughts. - page 7. (Read 50633 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Phil I think Ethereum mining is definately bringing back those litecoin days maybe more so.  Gpu rigs can be pieced together cheap enough and resold fairly easily. 
Glad to see you diving into it.  Sure there's huge fluctuations in price but none (and I mean none) have showed this much strength and early adoption as Eth. 
I missed the tailend of Ltc mining with gpu's but caught the rush of altcoins at the end of 2013 which was quite a rush.  One thing I've noticed is Eth rigs don't have to be screaming full tilt for a descent hashrate which makes them even more desireable around the house.
I think dollar to dollar and resellability, gpu mining has always been better than spending on inflated asic rigs.
Again it's always nice to see you tinkering away.
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

that string may of been plugged in/unplugged maybe 5 times on the psu side? on the vid card side maybe a couple dozen.

should last 10 to 20 cycles  not just five.

but i was surprised to learn that 10 to 20 is normal to kill one off.

I had killed mine on avalon 6's which pull heavy power.

10-20? damn, i would of guessed much more than that.

have to pay more attention to the plugs now. I just check to see if they are not sprung/bent and look clean put guess ill use contact cleaner every time from now on. and even then..
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
the melt a wire trick. Grin Grin

Yeah seasonic has done that to me to.

also remember that removal and replugging a pcie cable kills it quickly.

I  like to find a psu with a few permanent pcie cables

this is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Platimax-Modular-Cable-EPM850EWT/dp/B006X6VTR8/ref=sr_1_1_m?

that seasonic is from the btc mining days and had been sitting on the shelf for a couple years after the asic onslaught. 7 year warranty so no worries..

that string may of been plugged in/unplugged maybe 5 times on the psu side? on the vid card side maybe a couple dozen.

that enermax looks nice but if i do anymore crypto psus they likely will be sidehack harnesses on server psus. kinda depends on how thinks work out with gpu mining i guess.

the only computer psu im in the market for in the near future may be a small 400 watt gold for a supermicro based freenas server that will replace my current build. want ecc memory and such this time around.

should last 10 to 20 cycles  not just five.

but i was surprised to learn that 10 to 20 is normal to kill one off.

I had killed mine on avalon 6's which pull heavy power.
legendary
Question:

One card of 4 cannot hold reasonable core overclocking (stable is 1065 - at 1075 got the problem)

Can I manually increase for 3 other cards core till 1075 and leave that ugly duckling at 1065?

I feel that it is not good Smiley

No problem. I set my cards frequency individually. I also set the core voltage if I have to set them differently.

I also have set card independently with little or no issues.

I know that keeping cards under 70c is big.

So some fans are set at 80% some  at 60%

Same with volts. Some gear will not run at -100mv. So some are at -75mv
All freq are set at stock clocks. R9 nano at 1000 and at 500
legendary
btw the cards were running bone stock volts and clocks.

That is definitely problem of cables/PSU quality

Mine are heavily overclocked and in dual mining. So melting of risers is what you can expect.

Good luck!

I do not run the cards at stock voltage when using the stock frequency. I will undervolt and use the stock frequency.

that rig runs ubuntu. no afterburner/trixx etc, so no easy way to undervolt.

i did mod the bios of the 390 but switched back to stock as it wasnt stable enough. ill try again at some point.
Activity: 270
Merit: 250
Question:

One card of 4 cannot hold reasonable core overclocking (stable is 1065 - at 1075 got the problem)

Can I manually increase for 3 other cards core till 1075 and leave that ugly duckling at 1065?

No problem. I set my cards frequency individually. I also set the core voltage if I have to set them differently.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
I have to run different settings on my 3 R9 290s in the "big box" - though in that case it's different FAN settings as they don't get quite the same cooling airflow.
I've got 2 rigs running completely different cards (1x R9 290 1x R9 280X each), have to run different settings on those - no issues.

I wish I could count on ETH profitability going up like it has the last couple of weeks (PRICE has gone up more than DIFF) - it's nice seeing my "estimated profit" go from under $800/month to over $1100/month on Ethermine (though part of that was fine-tuning of setup to maximise hashrate at current "heat wave" temps, actual hashrate only changed about 4% though in total).
 Still, it's nice for the probability of achieving ROI even if it's just a short-term surge.

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

Mine are heavily overclocked and in dual mining. So melting of risers is what you can expect.

Good luck!

I do not run the cards at stock voltage when using the stock frequency. I will undervolt and use the stock frequency.

Good luck!
Question:

legendary
another angle of the plug.

right now that rig is running a single 390 mining eth only with the other 2 x 6+2 string.. I also have a 2 molex to 8 pin pcie adapter coming to power the 380 with its single 8 pin connector. again eth only till the new cables come.

once i get new wires from seasonic ill switch back to dual mining

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
I've had good luck with ethermine most of the time - I almost never see my "local" hashrate match the pool rate, but that's largely an issue with my Sat Internet connection giving me a lot of "stale" shares, and going down at times due to weather - I see the SAME issues on my Litecoin mining, and used to see them with Bitcoin mining too.

I didn't worry about bricking my 290s - dual-bios like most if not all recent AMD cards (though the 2 BIOS options AMD put on the R9 290 are both jokes given the insanely LOW max fan speed in either BIOS option), AND I had enough of them that I could always just copy the stock bios over from one of the others if I bricked one of them - then I found the techpowerup BIOS database, and my worries ended entirely.

8-)

Right now my only worries are that the recent heat wave has been pushing temps high enough to cause derating on too many of my breakers - had to re-distribute power a bit to even the load out, AND had to downclock the A2s 'cause my 15 amp breakers were tripping at about 10 amp draw on a few circuits (I will NEVER use QO "double breaker in one slot" again, they overheat WAY too easily).

Wiring isn't an issue - I made a point of using 12AWG (rated 20 amps) on those circuits for "just in case" safety reasons, AND it was only 20% or so more than 14AWG anyway.
 Far better to have the BREAKER be the point of failure than the WIRE....

legendary

this is pretty good.

https://www.amazon.com/Enermax-Platimax-Modular-Cable-EPM850EWT/dp/B006X6VTR8/ref=sr_1_1_m?

that seasonic is from the btc mining days and had been sitting on the shelf for a couple years after the asic onslaught. 7 year warranty so no worries..

that enermax looks nice but if i do anymore crypto psus they likely will be sidehack harnesses on server psus. kinda depends on how thinks work out with gpu mining i guess.

the only computer psu im in the market for in the near future may be a small 400 watt gold for a supermicro based freenas server that will replace my current build. want ecc memory and such this time around.
are you doing better with switch to ethermine?

Now it is ~0.037ETH per hour

Which is slightly better
legendary
had some fun last week..

Thank you - I usually find burned risers wires, but things like that - impressive

Did you feel any smell (after shutting down cards)?

Good job!

nope no smell at all. it is a big basement though and i only go down every few days. and this may of happened over the course of weeks/months. but i had shut it down a few days before all this till i could troubleshoot stuff. no smell at that time. btw swapped risers too during the troubleshooting phase.

best part: after i ordered the new parts i had booted one last time and it came up, so i left it running. so it ran 4 days like that till i shut it down for the rebuild. and who knows how long it was burning up, that rig has been running a few months 24/7

got another shot of the plug from another angle, ill post it too in a bit
legendary
bad luck?  I think they run based on blocks hit and could have hit a cold spell.
I am on ethpool at the moment.

Thank you, Phil

I've changed to http://ethermine.org - so let's check it

are you doing better with switch to ethermine?
legendary

this is pretty good.

bad luck?  I think they run based on blocks hit and could have hit a cold spell.

Thank you, Phil

I've changed to http://ethermine.org - so let's check it
legendary
Does anybody notice significant drop in shares on Nanopool?

With 119.6MHs I suppose to get ~0.042ETH per hour - but getting only 0.032ETH

Any reason for that?

I even gave hitchpool a shot with a nicehash rental.  but I need to analyze it more.

as for flashing my nanos I will get to it.

right now I am getting ready for the incoming s-9's

2 batch ones due tues or weds.

2 batch twos in ten days or so.

close to 54 ph  for 5400 watts.
Pages:
Jump to: