Pages:
Author

Topic: My 1 gpu now 11gpus 5rigs for Ethereum. 45 days of mining. Photos thoughts. - page 6. (Read 50633 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
I had this happen also. Its not the PSU or the GPU or overloading the cables, its the connector. Its not a tight fit and sometimes when plugging in and unplugging it results in a loose connection.

Nothing you can do but periodically check the connections or try to use the least amount of current as possible.

This happens even with Platinum type PSUs and people who were gamers and not miners.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
Depends on how many rigs/how much power they use - if you have enough, you need a lot more than "one venting out".

If I run 14 cards in my garage say 2600 watts the attached garage will no go under 90f with the ac running.

I then need to have venting outside.

I am pushing 880 watts in the garage and 185 watts in the den.  total 1065 watts for 125mh 3 rigs.

no venting just ac running.   It could be 100f outside I would be okay.   I may sit with this as is for the whole summer.  All my gear is now roi'd

the 125mh is earning about 500 a month over power bill.

I have been contacted from my source at provantage that they would be able to do a 50x  75x or 100x r9 480 sale to me.

At this time they are yet to have a skeq #. 

Philip - do you know when estimated 480 sale date will be?

Do you have any early info on MHs / watts for the 480 for ETH mining?

I use 390s and Nanos at the moment and I am very pleased with Nano's profitability and potential resale value.

However the 480 lower price point will mean faster ROI and quicker road to profits.

zero details other then the will give me an offer  when they get the order numbers.

Based on my bulk cpu purchases from them 10 to 20 % discount off retail is possible on hot items.

Does not sound like much of a discount  and will only be good if the gear sells out fast.

Still too soon to know.  You are over seas so it may not be worth while for you to join in if I get a deal.

ETH coin is still doing very well in price $20.91 usd.  If it moves up more   these cards will be hard to get.

I won't take any money or coin until I place the order with a cc.  If I get 50 cards for 7k it is a no brainer    8k  yes    9 k?

No way to tell any more then above.  Just post and look here every once in a while.
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
bought mine january 2014. about when was yours bought?

late 2014.. i got this to power a couple 270x's for when MAXcoin was hot. i still have those cards and i been mining eth with them.

there is absolutely no way a 270x was overloading the cables.. i think its a defect in the design.

since this happened i read that some x series had substandard cables shipped during the time frame mine (looks like yours too) was bought.. cant find the link atm but ill post after work if i cant find it in the next few minutes.

email seasonic they should send new cables even if this has not happened.

EDIT of course its still under warranty so they will replace the burnt cable, even the psu, but in the thread i read the dude had emailed seasonic about a burned connector on the psu side and they sent all new pcie cables. seasonic admitted (to the forum poster in an email) their supplier sent out of spec cables that slipped through at one point and some were shipped. the new cables he got had 1 x 6+2 on them instead of the 2 x 6+2 he then had. he mentioned all you had to do was email seasonic with model # etc and they would just sent new cables.
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
for the temperature discussion, well my 390's run at 78-81c, I think its too hot - BUT - seems fine.  fans run below 65%.  I dont want my fans to go much higher.  I'm going to install additionnal fans blowing right on the gpu's, plus one fan on the garage window to blow air out.  should be good.  I'd rather my gpu run hot than my fans fail tbh.  i know some prefer the opposite, but hey, under warranty and all Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

late 2014.. i got this to power a couple 270x's for when MAXcoin was hot. i still have those cards and i been mining eth with them.

there is absolutely no way a 270x was overloading the cables.. i think its a defect in the design.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Depends on how many rigs/how much power they use - if you have enough, you need a lot more than "one venting out".

If I run 14 cards in my garage say 2600 watts the attached garage will no go under 90f with the ac running.

I am pushing 880 watts in the garage and 185 watts in the den.  total 1065 watts for 125mh 3 rigs.

no venting just ac running.   It could be 100f outside I would be okay.   I may sit with this as is for the whole summer.  All my gear is now roi'd

I have been contacted from my source at provantage that they would be able to do a 50x  75x or 100x r9 480 sale to me.

Philip - do you know when estimated 480 sale date will be?

Do you have any early info on MHs / watts for the 480 for ETH mining?

I use 390s and Nanos at the moment and I am very pleased with Nano's profitability and potential resale value.

However the 480 lower price point will mean faster ROI and quicker road to profits.
legendary

heh we should start a club. maybe phil could be president, its happened to him too.

ill be doing the same, get replacement cables, use the other sockets and keep rolling. psu itself is fine.

legendary

Activity: 784
Merit: 504
had some fun last week..

my basement ubuntu 15.10 eth miner dual mining sia/eth with a seasonic x750, r9 380/r9 390 became unstable. locked up a few times. tried the usual troubleshooting stuff.. swap 390 with another 390 thats in this daily driver in the living room, run the 380/390 alone (380 would not run alone for whatever reason though, couldnt build the dag), swapped ram with known good ram. in short swapped everything but mobo/cpu/psu. still would lock up anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours.

ah well methinks, the mobo is old and tired. it was an old repurposed dell with a q6600 from 2008 or so. time to build a new miner platform.

gigabyte Z97X UD3H, intel celeron 1840, 8 gigs ripjaws, and another 128 gb ssd (cant have to many ssds ya know)

and when I started to swap the psu over to the new build it what do I see?

http://i.imgur.com/lBlbOJu.jpg

yup never bothered to check the seasonic socket or plug.. DOH. video card side is fine. this string had 2 x 6+2 pcie plugs and both were plugged into the 390s two 8 pin pcie sockets.

now that ive researched a bit i do believe seasonic had a bad batch of cables on the seasonic x750 series and mine is in that time frame. they should send new cables. the psu im not worried about, there are other sockets i can use.

upshot is even though i had used an IR temp gun to check temps, had a fan blowing on the cables themselves (but NOT on the socket side of the psu) and regularly felt the cable every couple days, this still happened.

so the real reason the old rig was unstable was USER ERROR. of course Smiley

exact same thing for me. it still works tho, just got new cables and moved to fresh sockets,

This happens due to overload in the cables and over drawing from those ports to GPU.
Using dual cables will solve the issue.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Can't say enough for cheap box fans directly blowing across your rigs.  Temps should stay 70 or lower even in a stuffy garage but also good to have one venting out. 
Activity: 615
Merit: 500
I'm rather new to ETH.... Is there a halving on the horizon?

My S7s are basically at break even with respect to how much I pay to host them, since after the halving of BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

I know that keeping cards under 70c is big.

I can agree with that as a general rule, but the R9 290 is widely reported to actually be comfortable in the 80s on a long-term basis (which makes it a RARE exception).

Says a lot they don't thermal throttle 'till 94 (on the reference cards anyway), though I don't RECOMMEND running them that hot for long.

I may have to go FrankenFan on some of my GPUs once I get moved and (probably) can go open-rig setup with risers - I'll have the SPACE to put real fans on the cards then.

I LOVE having several 7750s with Delta 60mm screamers twist-tied to them - they just don't overheat, even in the recent heatwave we had none of them managed to get to 60 and most were in the low-mid 50s despite being overclocked to the max.
 They're also buried deep inside 2u rack mount cases, so the sound isn't noticeable over all the OTHER fan whoosh sounds in this room....

legendary
some fast math:

4 s-9's  mining in the solar array  doing 50 th earn  1.767 btc  monthly  before  power and maintenance costs.

4 s-9's and 4 psus run about 8000 usd

I use 5500 watts.

My fee is ½ the coins  so I am netting .88btc or 555 usd a month.

I earned a lot more prior to the ½ ing. So the deal is not too bad.

my eth gear  is about 285mh and it all earns about 1.224 btc monthly   before power and maintenance costs

it is 11 gpus and 5 pc's about 5000 usd

I use  2000 watts  I pay pretty a high price for summer power in house 1500 kwatts a month at 18 cents = 270 usd

in the winter I drop to 9 cents  135 usd.

So I net 503 a month when power is high now
I get a 135 drop in power costs OCT 1

So   for after the ½ ing Eth looks far better  then btc.

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Sexually abused whore.
That's a cute little rig. .How much did it cost you to set it up all parts and labor considered
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
i could clean the connectors up, cut the bad wires out, even re pin them and reuse them i suppose but why take the chance?

if warranty is not possible.....

from where i live, pins and sockets is hard to come by...what i did to a PSU of mine is open it and solder the cable directly inside (cut the pins and bad wire) ... remove the burned socket or drill a hole, whichever is best.
legendary
Phil I think Ethereum mining is definately bringing back those litecoin days maybe more so.  Gpu rigs can be pieced together cheap enough and resold fairly easily. 
Glad to see you diving into it.  Sure there's huge fluctuations in price but none (and I mean none) have showed this much strength and early adoption as Eth. 
I missed the tailend of Ltc mining with gpu's but caught the rush of altcoins at the end of 2013 which was quite a rush.  One thing I've noticed is Eth rigs don't have to be screaming full tilt for a descent hashrate which makes them even more desireable around the house.
I think dollar to dollar and resellability, gpu mining has always been better than spending on inflated asic rigs.
Again it's always nice to see you tinkering away.

Thanks.

I had 1 rig 1 card.

Pushed to seven rigs 13 cards.

Sold a rig sold 8 cards.

Now have a three card rig
A 1 card rig
A 1 card rig
And three empty rigs.
All paid for.

If the r9 480s are good I can add six cards back.

So,far pretty happy.
legendary
yup, i do that when i can. this psu only had two pcie strings each with 2 x 6+2s on it. the 390 got two on one string, the 380 got one on the other string. figured its made that way cuz its rated for it..

seasonic did have a bad batch of cables on some "x" series back when i bought this psu. pity i didnt know about it earlier. dont think i even registered the psu with seasonic when i bought it. i do have the newegg receipt though.

ive always been careful around high powered electronics. even had a fan that just blew mainly on the cables although it didnt hit the side of the psu with the plugs on it.

i could clean the connectors up, cut the bad wires out, even re pin them and reuse them i suppose but why take the chance?
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Phil I think Ethereum mining is definately bringing back those litecoin days maybe more so.  Gpu rigs can be pieced together cheap enough and resold fairly easily. 
Glad to see you diving into it.  Sure there's huge fluctuations in price but none (and I mean none) have showed this much strength and early adoption as Eth. 
I missed the tailend of Ltc mining with gpu's but caught the rush of altcoins at the end of 2013 which was quite a rush.  One thing I've noticed is Eth rigs don't have to be screaming full tilt for a descent hashrate which makes them even more desireable around the house.
I think dollar to dollar and resellability, gpu mining has always been better than spending on inflated asic rigs.
Again it's always nice to see you tinkering away.
Pages:
Jump to: