Pages:
Author

Topic: My 1 gpu now 11gpus 5rigs for Ethereum. 45 days of mining. Photos thoughts. - page 8. (Read 50633 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
had some fun last week..

Thank you - I usually find burned risers wires, but things like that - impressive

Did you feel any smell (after shutting down cards)?

Good job!
Activity: 742
Does anybody notice significant drop in shares on Nanopool?

With 119.6MHs I suppose to get ~0.042ETH per hour - but getting only 0.032ETH

Any reason for that?
legendary
Activity: 4326
Merit: 3519
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
had some fun last week..

my basement ubuntu 15.10 eth miner dual mining sia/eth with a seasonic x750, r9 380/r9 390 became unstable. locked up a few times. tried the usual troubleshooting stuff.. swap 390 with another 390 thats in this daily driver in the living room, run the 380/390 alone (380 would not run alone for whatever reason though, couldnt build the dag), swapped ram with known good ram. in short swapped everything but mobo/cpu/psu. still would lock up anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours.

ah well methinks, the mobo is old and tired. it was an old repurposed dell with a q6600 from 2008 or so. time to build a new miner platform.

gigabyte Z97X UD3H, intel celeron 1840, 8 gigs ripjaws, and another 128 gb ssd (cant have to many ssds ya know)

and when I started to swap the psu over to the new build it what do I see?

yup never bothered to check the seasonic socket or plug.. DOH. video card side is fine. this string had 2 x 6+2 pcie plugs and both were plugged into the 390s two 8 pin pcie sockets.

now that ive researched a bit i do believe seasonic had a bad batch of cables on the seasonic x750 series and mine is in that time frame. they should send new cables. the psu im not worried about, there are other sockets i can use.

upshot is even though i had used an IR temp gun to check temps, had a fan blowing on the cables themselves (but NOT on the socket side of the psu) and regularly felt the cable every couple days, this still happened.

so the real reason the old rig was unstable was USER ERROR. of course Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
I have 6X 390 on a ASrock H81 motherboard. The voltage is 0.984 V and the frequency is 970/1000MHz, they hash about 165MH/s. The power consumption from the wall is 1050W with 93% efficiency PSU.

which rom mod did you use?  Shocked Shocked

I mod it myself, using the HawaiiBiosReader. There is a thread in this forum about using that editor. It is easy.

what brand are your 390s? does it work the same for sapphire, asus, msi, gigabyte?

yeah I have a powercolor and a his r9 390 looking to mod for lower watts.

and I am looking to mod the nanos for lower watts

unlucky me - I can only get -150mV mod to work on my Sapphire Nanos.
Anyways, still some power savings there to fully maximize my current Amps.
4 x Nanos @[email protected]@800/300 is running smoothly

I need to do this still putting it off due to fear of bricking .  I never flashed a gpu before.

me too... but i braved it on the first few.... the ETH price gave me the courage to do it!

1 ETH = USD$15.28 now....
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
wow nice project Grin
ethereum most on this moon

The ETH might go to the moon. But I doubt the ETC will go to the moon. One of them will die in the next few months.

Yeah   and the easy way to play it is mine ETH,  Then buy  and HODL  some ETC. Grin
Activity: 27
Merit: 0
I have 6X 390 on a ASrock H81 motherboard. The voltage is 0.984 V and the frequency is 970/1000MHz, they hash about 165MH/s. The power consumption from the wall is 1050W with 93% efficiency PSU.

I mod it myself, using the HawaiiBiosReader. There is a thread in this forum about using that editor. It is easy.

what brand are your 390s? does it work the same for sapphire, asus, msi, gigabyte?

I need to do this still putting it off due to fear of bricking .  I never flashed a gpu before.

No worry. If you brick one, you can flip the switch, boot with it, then flip the BIOS switch, flash the original BIOS again.
Activity: 693
Merit: 508
wow nice project Grin

The ETH might go to the moon. But I doubt the ETC will go to the moon. One of them will die in the next few months.
legendary

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
wow nice project Grin
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

I have 2 reference R9 290 cards that I undervolt -100mv

The one real advantage to Windows for mining - better tools for control of your card parameters.

and they consume only 500 watt at the wall with a bronze psu that wastes 15% the power.  So if I had 3 they would consume about 700 watts and that is with an inefficient psu.  Anyway I tried to use TheStilt bios on my cards but when I boot it gives me this checkered pattern and is almost possible to see the screen, any ideas?

There are several bios by TheStilt for the 290 - and a similar series for the 290x. Perhaps trying one with less undervolt?

Also, double-check that you're flashing a 290 verison to a 290, flashing a 290x version to a 290 sometimes flakes things (by report it works well if the card is a VERY EARLY 290 that actually had the 290x chip on it).

The power draw is probebly due to the changes to memory timing allowing a MUCH higher overclock than stock without overheating - I didn't save any power usage overall vs stock BIOS, but the cards run AT LEAST 15 and probably more like 20 degrees COOLER despite clocking the core 150MHz higher - not to mention that they hash about 50% faster now that I CAN overclock them instead of hitting BIOS thermal limiting UNDERCLOCK all the time.
 In at least one of his postings about the BIOS mode, TheStilt specified that the card might not see any power savings with his BIOS, as the GPU wouldn't be getting limited by memory throughput nearly as much if at all and therefore could work harder.

I still have to crank the fan settings way up, but that's a given - and I can actually scale THAT back on a couple of the cards that get better cooling to 80% from the 100% I had to run ALL of them at before the bios flash.

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I have the XFX, the 1015 version, the HawaiiBiosReader works well. You can try that on other brands.
Activity: 615

Claymore with AMD 16.7.2 or 16.7.3

Both work well.

I got another rx 480 today.

I am now pushing 260 mh

What is your wattage? I should have two more here tomorrow.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

legendary

Claymore with AMD 16.7.2 or 16.7.3

Both work well.

I got another rx 480 today.

I am now pushing 260 mh
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000
Guys,

Will it be safe to mine with 5x R9 390 on EVGA 1300W G2 PSU?

NO.

The R9 390 is basically a bios-updated rebadge of the R9 290 - my triple R9 290 rig with a TITANIUM power supply eats right at 1KW at the wall, despite having TheStilt modified bios on them to undervolt (and other stuff).
 I do concede I've got my R9 290s pretty seriously overclocked, but stock clock on them was only 947 (Sapphire ref cards).

4 would be viable as long as you don't overclock and overvolt them to very high extremes.

5 forget it unless you can do some VERY serious undervolting and get the power draw down at least 20% per card, or underclock them a lot at which point you might as well just run 4 of them NOT underclocked.

Wow that doesn't seem right :/

I have 2 reference R9 290 cards that I undervolt -100mv and they consume only 500 watt at the wall with a bronze psu that wastes 15% the power.  So if I had 3 they would consume about 700 watts and that is with an inefficient psu.  Anyway I tried to use TheStilt bios on my cards but when I boot it gives me this checkered pattern and is almost possible to see the screen, any ideas?
legendary

Activity: 615
ethminer-0.9.41-genoil-1.1.6-pre

Will try now with Claymore miner in Ethereum mode only...

flux does happen  my charts below have flux

claymore miner

Hi Phil,
Does claymore work with the RX 480?
Dev says older cards only and old crimson 15.12 driver??
I just built my rig and got an MSI RX 480!! My first mining rig so I'll be bugging y'all Smiley
Thanks,
Rob

Yes, it does!  Quite well.

Please post a hash rate when it's up and running
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059

Pages:
Jump to: