Pages:
Author

Topic: MyetherWallet Security - page 6. (Read 1226 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 17
April 08, 2018, 03:08:04 PM
I have been using MyEtherWallet for more than a year or so and I have been logging in with private key. But, I haven't had any issues. In my opinion, the safest option to log in with is either using keystone file or metamask. From safety point of view, Keystone file is a lot safer than private key. You have to keep private in safe place , so that you don't lose it.
Merit: 100
April 08, 2018, 03:03:51 PM
I seen many member here suggesting to use MetaMask.
Using MetaMask are more secure yes, if you are not familiar with it, there is any instruction about how to connect your MEW to MetaMask https://myetherwallet.github.io/knowledge-base/migration/moving-from-private-key-to-metamask.html
Activity: 187
Merit: 0
April 08, 2018, 03:00:27 PM
I prefer login to MEW via keystore to using private key, private key is so risky that your tokens can be taken away by someone else, I'll implore you to keep your private key tight and avoid exposing it uneccessarily.
Activity: 924
Merit: 11
April 08, 2018, 02:49:23 PM
As I heard - Metamask is the best way to access. First time i used keystore file, but someone stole my token's. After - I start using Metamask. Two day's ago i received Nano Ledger S wallet - must be this is the best and safety way to access into MEW.
Activity: 714
Merit: 16
April 08, 2018, 02:33:52 PM
For me I think I only use the keystone twice and I always use the private key, all the three are associated with its own risk. One just need to be careful in its usage and applicability.Making sure that you don't just log in into any site and out this vital details of one's wallet.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 108
April 08, 2018, 12:38:54 PM
In my opinion, the MyEtherWallet wallet is one of the best digital wallets. However, in order to increase its security, it is necessary to enter it through the browser's bookmark manager to avoid phishing sites that will try to have approximately the same name. If you only want to see the contents of the wallet, it's best to use its function etherscan. io, which allows such a view through the introduction to the search line of the address of the purse, not its key. The secret key should be used less frequently, and use instead of it Keystone File, which serves as a substitute for the secret key and the contents of which the scammers can not see.
Zz
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1077
April 08, 2018, 12:01:34 PM
online websites are not secure enough. If there is no ledger nano s is not safe. You should get ledger or use metamask.
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
April 08, 2018, 11:59:15 AM
if you have $ 5000, always use the ledger Nano s or any other hardware wallet.
I advise you to use a hardware purse if you have even $ 1000, because it's better to spend money on ledger nano s than to lose $ 1000. This is the safest way at the moment.
Activity: 448
Merit: 264
April 07, 2018, 05:38:30 AM
if you have $ 5000, always use the ledger Nano s or any other hardware wallet.
Activity: 140
April 07, 2018, 05:30:32 AM
 The safest among this 3 is the metamask it can secured all your token and also detect malicious website by that you can ensure better security of your funds. Metamask is a user friendly interface also you can download a plugin on google store for easy use to safe login.
Activity: 462
Merit: 10
April 06, 2018, 12:21:27 AM
What is the safest way to log MEW among of these?
    1.Keystone File
    2.Private Key
    3.Connecting Metamask.

Private key method is the worst, it is the most unsecure method of login.
using keystore is the simple method that more safer than private key.
Activity: 686
Merit: 131
April 05, 2018, 10:45:27 PM
None of those, the safest way is to use a hardware wallet.
Ledger Nano connects and interacts with mew so that is your best choice.

It amazes me that even after all the information out there regarding crypto security, someone will still use web based wallets (even with metamask).
And the thousands of experiences of people who have had their funds stolen...when will people learn?

So just cough up the 100usd to get a ledger.
Or if you want to save money go oldschool and paper wallet everything.
It isn't that hard, there are tons of faqs and guides online showing how to do it.
One of my colleagues is totally hardcore.  He has got all of his crypto on pieces of paper scattered accross a safe locked in his home, a safe in his bank, and a safe buried in his backyard.  Not even joking, he dug a whole a buried all his keys.
I asked him about it and he said he used to have everything on Exodus Wallet, and just had this feeling that he should totally secure everything.
Lo and behold, another colleague gets his Exodus Wallet hacked and 20k worth of crypto stolen.

How long did it take him to secure everything?
Just a couple days, that's it.
For me, I'm not that hardcore and got a ledger, took a whole 15 to 20 min to set up, move everything to it, and secure it.
Activity: 322
April 05, 2018, 10:44:12 PM
I prefer to use Myether wallet and it easy to use and user friendly as well. Anyway the most important thing is you should keep your private key, Password and JSON/Keystore file in a very secure place. There are so many ways to log in to MEW and i used log in via JSON/Keystore file. I think it is very secure method to log on to MEW.
Activity: 2198
Merit: 273
SecureShift.io | Crypto-Exchange
April 05, 2018, 10:39:09 PM
for protecting your myetherwallet what you should do is not pass the jason file or the so-called privite key so you do not miss your important tokens on my ownwallet and do not wipe the file because it's also important if you lose the fila That's why you do not have to login your mew wallet so the file and privite key are important

metamask is good so far but there are still many linking accounts with personal / json key files in metamask directly, if you believe it is harmless it is not a problem, but MEW itself does not recommend it explicitly. I began to think that one day MEW only allows access only via ledger or hardwallet for the user's security level.
Activity: 854
Merit: 102
PHORE
April 05, 2018, 10:19:06 PM
for protecting your myetherwallet what you should do is not pass the jason file or the so-called privite key so you do not miss your important tokens on my ownwallet and do not wipe the file because it's also important if you lose the fila That's why you do not have to login your mew wallet so the file and privite key are important
Activity: 765
Merit: 500
April 05, 2018, 10:15:19 PM
    1.Keystone File
    2.Private Key
    3.Connecting Metamask.

connecting with metamask is the most appropriate way
always be careful if you login using private key, because the security layer of the private key is less satisfactory
while metamask, can minimize hacking activity through private key

it will be better to conneting on Metamask than login using the private key.
and be careful to access at MEW because any phising site.
Merit: 16
April 05, 2018, 10:12:43 PM
    1.Keystone File
    2.Private Key
    3.Connecting Metamask.

connecting with metamask is the most appropriate way
always be careful if you login using private key, because the security layer of the private key is less satisfactory
while metamask, can minimize hacking activity through private key
Activity: 280
Merit: 102
April 05, 2018, 10:10:07 PM
myetherwallet is an important thing in storing our altcoin and it should be completely safe so we are not afraid of losing our altcoin. to be more secure open MEW we can use metamask because it is recommended by MEW and avoid the use of private key
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
April 05, 2018, 06:07:01 PM
can it be worth buying a hardware wallet?
like  Ledger nano S,cost only 90$
it will be much safer
Of course it's because it's the safest way to store the key. But I think that using Private Key is also acceptable if you follow the safety rules and take care of the safety of your computer. You must necessarily have the installed antivirus software.
Activity: 602
Merit: 104
March 20, 2018, 04:12:25 PM
can it be worth buying a hardware wallet?
like  Ledger nano S,cost only 90$
it will be much safer
Pages:
Jump to: