Pages:
Author

Topic: Octominer B8PLUS 8 PCIe Slot Mining Board (Motherboard, integrated CPU) - page 12. (Read 35234 times)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0
does anybody use dual atx power supplies with this board? I believe with a regular riser build you want to avoid having a gpu powered by one psu and its riser powered by another. It looks as though this would be  unavoidable with is board, 1 psu would power the board(and its pcie slots) and some gpus while the 2nd psu would be powering the rest of the gpus that were connected to the 1st psus powered pcie slots. would this not be an issue on this board or am I over thinking this?

the rig I would be transferring over uses 2 evga 850 G2's, 4 pcie each that I use for cards now and molex for my risers in current build... would I be able to use molex to 6pin adapters to power the board?

I'm having the same problem understanding how this wouldn't cause issues as well. Does anybody have a definitive answer?
Activity: 248
Merit: 8

any news on faster CPU ?

Hey PanneKopp!

We bought some i7 CPUs and the factory will solder them onto the motherboards for testing soon.
I will post an update here about it.
Activity: 391
Merit: 250
aka ...

any news on faster CPU ?
You're best bet of getting any help is either with live help on their site or message the guy that posts on reddit threads. I had to make posts like this and on reddit before my replacement board finally shipped. I know they moved locations recently but ya their response is pretty slow relative to the quality control of the products.

Sorry for the slight delay with handling the replacement for your order, indeed we were moving our office to a new location at that time and it caused a small delay.  Our motherboards defect rate is actually less than 1% and we always make sure all of our clients are happy and satisfied. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Getting really frustrated and regretting my purchase.

On jan 30th, I ordered motherboard, psu and ssd. On feb 5th, website said hurry and get in orders for stuff to ship. I ordered the case, that said it was in stock.

I got my order, no case.. PSU popped on plugin and never worked.. motherboard constantly locks up/freezes.

I was told the cases didn't make it out before Chinese New Year, got it. Totally understand. Was told it would ship after.. Then after CNY i was told early march.. Now its March 20th and I just finally got a tracking # (that currently appears invalid).

Told them psu was bad, no problem we will replace.

Told them motherboard was bad, we did some troubleshooting, was told they'd replace..

When asking for an update on case (and mobo) im again told to troubleshoot board, even though I thought we'd already agreed on a replacement..

I still haven't confirmed all 3 items are coming (at the same time)

so, summary, the stuff i ordered a month and a half ago either never showed or doesn't work and I am getting ticked.

Hey there! Sorry to hear that you had problems with our order. The PSU model you received is now discontinued and we do not offer it anymore, we also sent an email update about it.  I will personally make sure all your problems get sorted out ASAP! We are currently shipping out our March batch and all of our team is working overtime, there might be a slight delay at the moment with emails and replacements. I apologise for this. I will send you a PM regarding your Order details and I will get everything sorted out for you right away!
Activity: 289
Merit: 107
You're best bet of getting any help is either with live help on their site or message the guy that posts on reddit threads. I had to make posts like this and on reddit before my replacement board finally shipped. I know they moved locations recently but ya their response is pretty slow relative to the quality control of the products.
Activity: 5
Getting really frustrated and regretting my purchase.

On jan 30th, I ordered motherboard, psu and ssd. On feb 5th, website said hurry and get in orders for stuff to ship. I ordered the case, that said it was in stock.

I got my order, no case.. PSU popped on plugin and never worked.. motherboard constantly locks up/freezes.

I was told the cases didn't make it out before Chinese New Year, got it. Totally understand. Was told it would ship after.. Then after CNY i was told early march.. Now its March 20th and I just finally got a tracking # (that currently appears invalid).

Told them psu was bad, no problem we will replace.

Told them motherboard was bad, we did some troubleshooting, was told they'd replace..

When asking for an update on case (and mobo) im again told to troubleshoot board, even though I thought we'd already agreed on a replacement..

I still haven't confirmed all 3 items are coming (at the same time)

so, summary, the stuff i ordered a month and a half ago either never showed or doesn't work and I am getting ticked.
I wanted to post some updates for those still trying to decide on this motherboard and/or the case as well. Plenty has been said about the board so I don’t have much to add to that. So far I’ve got 7/8 gpu’s installed as well as the Noctua NF-f12 industrial 3k rpm fans. At 100% the fans are about as damn loud as the deltas.

My plan was to add a bit more noise control so I added a 8 port fan hub that I planned to use with the small Noctua pwm fan controller. The fan hub and the controller both had male out/in so I had to find a female to female pwm cable which proved more difficult than expected. I ordered one and had it overnighted. Got it all hooked up and only one half of the fan hub would adjust with the fan controller. Luckily I scrounged up an old fan hub I had left over from my last Pc build and it worked like a charm. All 7 fans are now manually controllable with the twist of the knob. Below I documented 3 sets of fan speed and temperature comparisons so you can see how the cooling of the fans worked along with how much noise.

All readings are taken with the gpu fans at 45% with +200 core, +650 memory and 70% power.

Full fan speed- https://imgur.com/gallery/RTO4e
About 50% fan speed- https://imgur.com/gallery/Q2MBe
20-25% fan speed- https://imgur.com/gallery/t3gHv

As you can see, even at lower fan speeds the temps weren’t bad but I find around 50% to be a good balance of noise and temps. Take all of this with a grain of salt but it should at least show what kind of temps you can expect. These readings were takin using DSTM mining Hush. I also tried ran Claymore dual mining etc and verge and all temps still maintained about the same +/- 2 degrees.

Here is the fan controller I used in conjunction with a pwm fan hub.
Noctua NA-FC1 4-pin PWM Fan Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M2HKSN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EThRAbJVPQK4Y
Activity: 391
Merit: 250
aka ...
Hi Folks,

got an march shipping date update
introducing a delay to 15-30th of march.

I am not very happy about delaying my prototype (complete system):
- 1650W Octominer ATX PSU
- 2200W 220V / 1600W 110V Octominer SERVER PSU
- Kingsand M-SATA 240GB SSD
- Micron DDR4 SO-DIMM RAM 8GB
- OCTOMINER B8PLUS 8 PCIe Slot Mining Motherboard - Intel 3855u CPU
- OCTOMINER B8PLUS 4U RACK CHASSIS with 7x Delta Fans / DHL SHIPPING INCLUDED IN PRICE
Prepaid Invoice 16750, paid with Bitcoin Cash (BCH) [TX-ID on request]

What about the fastest CPU testing ?
... any news on that ?

Yours, PanneKopp (hanging out in your Chat)
Activity: 48
Merit: 10
For basic powering of the board you just have to plug in 2 6 pin pci-e cables to any of the 6 spots on the edge of the board. I use the pair closest to the psu. You can use a single double plug cable for this. There is no 24 pin atx or 8 pin cpu for this board. the onda board has these but not Octo. if you are running cards without external power like gtx 1050's then you would plug in all 6 of the 6 pin pci-e on the board. For higher cards that have their own power connections, you just use the first 2 and the rest of the cables would be for powering the cards directly. If you are using a server psu a 12 port breakout board would be good. 2 for the motherboard and the rest of 8 cards. If the cards use double 8 pin or 8pin and 6 pin then just use a 8pin to dual 8pin splitter and you'll have no problems.

I am looking at the pictures of this board and can't figure out all the power connections.
Does this board need 24 Pin ATX connection or 8 pin CPU connector?

If I have an HP server PSU with breakout boards, can the board run with all PCIE connectors coming out of the server PSU?

Thank you dude, that clarifies all the doubts I had Smiley
For basic powering of the board you just have to plug in 2 6 pin pci-e cables to any of the 6 spots on the edge of the board. I use the pair closest to the psu. You can use a single double plug cable for this. There is no 24 pin atx or 8 pin cpu for this board. the onda board has these but not Octo. if you are running cards without external power like gtx 1050's then you would plug in all 6 of the 6 pin pci-e on the board. For higher cards that have their own power connections, you just use the first 2 and the rest of the cables would be for powering the cards directly. If you are using a server psu a 12 port breakout board would be good. 2 for the motherboard and the rest of 8 cards. If the cards use double 8 pin or 8pin and 6 pin then just use a 8pin to dual 8pin splitter and you'll have no problems.

I am looking at the pictures of this board and can't figure out all the power connections.

If I have an HP server PSU with breakout boards, can the board run with all PCIE connectors coming out of the server PSU?

Activity: 48
Merit: 10

Activity: 106
I got news for you buddy. First, HPE is far from the most reliable server manufacturer. IBM/Lenovo and Cisco run rings around them. Second, who do you think designs and manufacturers all those server power supplies for tier1 OEMs like HPE?  Grin

My experience:

However - server PSUs have been nothing short of a nightmare. First PSU flashed a bright white on startup and didn't turn on again. Second PSU worked and I managed to mine equihash on HiveOS. But then I heard a loud SNAP, and found the PSU dead smelling of burnt plastic and hot to the touch. Tried the third PSU after, but it never even turned on. There is nothing abnormal about my house and I already had two rigs going.

There is a reason proper/real/genuine server psu`s have two letters on them - HP Smiley Do not buy Chinese junk. They are not real server psu`s, Chinese clones of HP products. Only buy real HP stuff, which will last you years to come and won`t risk your expensive gpu`s.
Thanks, and you are right. The dimensions are clearly listed, I just assumed rack mount. So far, everything works quite well, and the motherboard was easy to use with Win 10. Do you know when the molex fan controller will be available? Also, are you planning an nvidia version of the prebuilt version?

Well, I got my Octominer case in, and I found a huge problem. Its supposedly a 4u rack mount case, but it doesn't fit in a standard 19" rack!..its over 22" wide! Oops.
So its useless for hosting in any datacenter, unless its a mickey mouse one that just uses shelves, vs proper enterprise racks.
Also has some very nice Delta PWM fans, unfortunately the PWM and sense leads are literally snipped off, so fan speeds are not controllable. Grrrr

Hey!
The 4U is for the height of the case. We had the dimensions listed under the product descriptions also.
Sorry to hear that you did not notice it during checkout.
Regarding the PWM  wires. Some batches of fans had them snipped off, all the fans work fine though and this will not be an issue. This was due to our case supplier using fans they had in stock, otherwise it would have made the production times longer. Currently there is also a shortage of high quality fans in the market in China due to all the mining activity. Smiley
We also have a fan speed controller coming out soon that can be used with those fans without the need for the PWM wires. Will be plug and play.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
does anybody use dual atx power supplies with this board? I believe with a regular riser build you want to avoid having a gpu powered by one psu and its riser powered by another. It looks as though this would be  unavoidable with is board, 1 psu would power the board(and its pcie slots) and some gpus while the 2nd psu would be powering the rest of the gpus that were connected to the 1st psus powered pcie slots. would this not be an issue on this board or am I over thinking this?

the rig I would be transferring over uses 2 evga 850 G2's, 4 pcie each that I use for cards now and molex for my risers in current build... would I be able to use molex to 6pin adapters to power the board?

i dont have the octominer board but i run two evga psus with my riserless onda b250 d8p, a mining board with similar layout. all mobo connectors are one one psu, plus several cards. the other psu is powering only cards. i use an add2psu to control the 2nd psu.

not sure about adapters, my psu dedicated to the mobo had enough native connectors to run everything without them. but if using molex (rated 75 watts)  to 6 pin (rated 150 watts), i would use a 2x molex to single 6 pin type adapter. use no more than one 6 pin on a 2x molex adapter per psu string.
Well, I got my Octominer case in, and I found a huge problem. Its supposedly a 4u rack mount case, but it doesn't fit in a standard 19" rack!..its over 22" wide! Oops.
So its useless for hosting in any datacenter, unless its a mickey mouse one that just uses shelves, vs proper enterprise racks.
Also has some very nice Delta PWM fans, unfortunately the PWM and sense leads are literally snipped off, so fan speeds are not controllable. Grrrr

Hey!
The 4U is for the height of the case. We had the dimensions listed under the product descriptions also.
Sorry to hear that you did not notice it during checkout.
Regarding the PWM  wires. Some batches of fans had them snipped off, all the fans work fine though and this will not be an issue. This was due to our case supplier using fans they had in stock, otherwise it would have made the production times longer. Currently there is also a shortage of high quality fans in the market in China due to all the mining activity. Smiley
We also have a fan speed controller coming out soon that can be used with those fans without the need for the PWM wires. Will be plug and play.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.
Activity: 6
does anybody use dual atx power supplies with this board? I believe with a regular riser build you want to avoid having a gpu powered by one psu and its riser powered by another. It looks as though this would be  unavoidable with is board, 1 psu would power the board(and its pcie slots) and some gpus while the 2nd psu would be powering the rest of the gpus that were connected to the 1st psus powered pcie slots. would this not be an issue on this board or am I over thinking this?

You can usually get around the 21 day hold by having the buyer click confirm receipt button in the payment once the item is delivered. Finds will usually release in less than a week after that.

It took me 48-72 hours to provide the documentation and get my account opened again. I’m sure there are variables to every case, but typically PayPal wants to resolve the issues if possible as they want to get a chunk of that money as well. They just want to limit losses via bad/fraudulent business. Once you prove you are neither the process moves pretty quick.

I did lots of eBay sales and I have had funds frozen for as long as 22 days.

And my eBay record is perfect.

My guess is a large order was backordered and funds were frozen until item reached the buyer.

So if I ordered on feb 26 and item arrives to me on March 20th

Funds freeze for 23 days.

So if someone purchased a 6000 usd order of mobos on feb 27 that money will stay frozen until March 20
legendary
Activity: 4158
Merit: 8049
'The right to privacy matters'
It took me 48-72 hours to provide the documentation and get my account opened again. I’m sure there are variables to every case, but typically PayPal wants to resolve the issues if possible as they want to get a chunk of that money as well. They just want to limit losses via bad/fraudulent business. Once you prove you are neither the process moves pretty quick.

I did lots of eBay sales and I have had funds frozen for as long as 22 days.

And my eBay record is perfect.

My guess is a large order was backordered and funds were frozen until item reached the buyer.

So if I ordered on feb 26 and item arrives to me on March 20th

Funds freeze for 23 days.

So if someone purchased a 6000 usd order of mobos on feb 27 that money will stay frozen until March 20
Pages:
Jump to: