Author

Topic: Official Anoncoin chat thread (including history) - page 117. (Read 530606 times)

Activity: 700
Merit: 508
What about the 158 GH of network hashrate !!!! Is it clear whether or not is there an attack going on. Is there any credible  info ?

just to clearify,

there appears to be a larger multipool which periodically mining our coin. I roughly estimate the hashrate of this multipool is 5-6gigahashes per seconds approximately 60% of our total average hashrate. combined with a fluctuation in miner interest and a shitty difficulty targeting algo (kgw), there will be some sporadic periods of block finding delays until we switch to AuxPoW. Just to get an idea of the size of this mining pool, a Zues ASIC Miner is 300Mh/s and the Viper Litecoin ASIC Miner is 50 Mh/s so this mining pool is equlivant to about 20-100 ASICs,

158Gh/s is equivalent to the total LiteCoin hashrate, which would bring our difficulty orders of magnitudes higher than it is now. Nobody would spend that kind of hashrate on us with malicious intent when they could fork us without wasting hundreds of millions.

*EDIT* 158Gh/s is equivalent to 17% of the total LiteCoin hashrate but still more then $5,000,000USD
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
IS THERE ANY COMMUNICATION FROM THE DEVS WITH REGARDS TO THIS (SUPPOSED) ATTACK ?
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
wow - our difficulty has hit 4792 !!! We are under "Attack" :-)

at least somebody loves us

Are the devs aware?

The devs are aware of these attacks since weeks.
The attackers use a power of more than 150 Gh/s (99% attack Shocked). They can fork ANC as they want or shutdown it.

Thanks for the info..
And this is why anoncoin do need PoS along with PoW to become true and ultimate cryptocurrency.
Activity: 298
Merit: 250

EDIT: Such a power can come only from a big organization or a state. If the same attack our RSA keys, they will broke them in few days!

No^^ they won't just break the keys with this. 150 GHs is not that much Wink

Anyway, if you read about these kind of things (its still possible that there is no attack at all) an "attacker" can't do much to the network, or to the coins that already have been transferred.

Are the devs aware?

The devs are aware of these attacks since weeks.
The attackers use a power of more than 150 Gh/s (99% attack Shocked). They can fork ANC as they want or shutdown it.

Thanks for the info..
Activity: 126
Lean into the curves.
Ever notice that when most people say, 'no offense,' they are totally being offensive?

So, Gnosis has already addressed the idea.  In the future, if/when we need to expand security, there can simply be a message added to wallets, wiki, forums, websites, etc. which warns zANC holders that they must redeem their coins before a specified date.

And with certain agencies already crowing about the increased security of apple and android, it's sure that wise persons will want to protect their privacy.

A nice solution.

Keep up the good work, gentlemen.  You are actually helping to make the world a better place.
last time it happened there was there was talk of a more adaptable difficulty calc, but nothing's actually broken, everything's working as it should:
 - the intense hash rate increases the difficulty
 - when it's taken away the difficulty is still high so blocks take a lot of time until the difficulty subsides

Well yeah, though last time it wasn't so much GHs added ... the patch day is still far away Sad
What is this "patch" and how far is it?

Sorry, I don't know anything about it.

The different mining algos Smiley it's about ... 1 month away I guess.
Is it about AUXPOW ?
last time it happened there was there was talk of a more adaptable difficulty calc, but nothing's actually broken, everything's working as it should:
 - when it's taken away the difficulty is still high so blocks take a lot of time until the difficulty subsides

Well yeah, though last time it wasn't so much GHs added ... the patch day is still far away Sad

The different mining algos Smiley it's about ... 1 month away I guess.

Activity: 73
There's a new king in the streets

Are the devs aware?

What about the 158 GH of network hashrate !!!! Is it clear whether or not is there an attack going on. Is there any credible  info ?
Why are we even talking Hard-Forks now?  Huh

That's years away. (after the HardFork in 1 month)
why would it be impossible for 2 accumulators to co-exist ? ie: the old 13 legacy UFOs and the Newer stronger ones for all new zerocoins; One's zerocoin is in either one of the accumulators when you go to swap it.
Activity: 126
Lean into the curves.
From my understanding of RSA UFOs, that is not true as Gnosis only received N and there is no way for him to figure out the factorization of N, which is two large unfactorable numbers P and Q. By combining multiple RSA UFOs, I think Anoncoin is using 13, it ensures that the person that solved one of the UFOs in the distributed computing project cannot know the final accumulator, and Gnosis can't either since he doesn't know the factorization of the 13 RSA UFOs. It makes sense to me how it works and you are incorrect in saying Gnosis knows the factorization of N, as without a LOT of computing power it is impossible for him to know that.

The only worry I have about the RSA UFO project is that possibly someone already knows the factorization of N (IE. The government), or someone will later find it out with faster processors in the future. I am not sure if this is a realistic thing to be worried about though, as the only thing I know about this stuff is from doing research on ZeroCoin/Zerocash/Anoncoin. I will try to reach out to the Zerocash Devs to get their opinion on the RSA UFO project, as I would trust their opinion over a random poster on these forums (no offense).

I was also concerned about this but Gnosis assured me that at any point in the future we can generate a larger set of RSA UFOs and upgrade the network with a hard fork if we had to.

That is good to know, so that alleviates one of my worries. I think it would go a long ways, as to my other concern of the government already knowing the factorization, to extend the RSA UFO project indefinitely. That way the security of the accumulator can be upgraded via a hard fork when bigger UFOS are found at a later date. That way over time the chance the NSA has already cracked the UFOs gets smaller and smaller.

Yes I think its a good idea.  Hell, maybe we can build the RSA UFO generator right into the wallet, have everyone churning RSA UFOs all day if they want to, then do yearly hardforks to incorporate the new juicy UFOs.

That is a good idea, and I think it would go a long ways towards instilling trust in the RSA UFOs used to create the accumulator. Building it into the client would make it more likely that people would partake in the generation of the UFOs.

Even better, if we could figure out a way to incentivize people to do it they would be more likely to do so. If this could be figured out I think Anoncoin would have something really special here. By changing the PoW to RSA UFO generation it would incentivize them by rewarding them block rewards. I'm not sure what Anoncoin's block time is, but you could take the largest UFO generated per block and reward the finder with some Anoncoins. I would suggest switching from PoW to a form of PoS so it costs much less to secure the block chain. That would free up some Anoncoins in each block reward to be awarded to the person that generates the biggest UFO.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to figure out if this is plausible or not, but if it is possible then it could really help the long term sustainability and security of the project. There are already talks of switching to auxPoW, why not switch to something like ufoPoW if it is possible. Hopefully Gnosis or Meeh can comment as to if this would be possible to do in some way or another. Perhaps it could be done in another way and the way I stated is impossible... either way if it can be done I think it would be a great thing to do.

This is a great idea, if it can be done.  It has already been demonstrated that there will not be generated as many ANCs as was initially anticipated.  Thus, blocks could be awarded to the producers of new UFOs without creating inflation of the ANC's value.

Thoughts, Dev team?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
From my understanding of RSA UFOs, that is not true as Gnosis only received N and there is no way for him to figure out the factorization of N, which is two large unfactorable numbers P and Q. By combining multiple RSA UFOs, I think Anoncoin is using 13, it ensures that the person that solved one of the UFOs in the distributed computing project cannot know the final accumulator, and Gnosis can't either since he doesn't know the factorization of the 13 RSA UFOs. It makes sense to me how it works and you are incorrect in saying Gnosis knows the factorization of N, as without a LOT of computing power it is impossible for him to know that.

The only worry I have about the RSA UFO project is that possibly someone already knows the factorization of N (IE. The government), or someone will later find it out with faster processors in the future. I am not sure if this is a realistic thing to be worried about though, as the only thing I know about this stuff is from doing research on ZeroCoin/Zerocash/Anoncoin. I will try to reach out to the Zerocash Devs to get their opinion on the RSA UFO project, as I would trust their opinion over a random poster on these forums (no offense).

I was also concerned about this but Gnosis assured me that at any point in the future we can generate a larger set of RSA UFOs and upgrade the network with a hard fork if we had to.

That is good to know, so that alleviates one of my worries. I think it would go a long ways, as to my other concern of the government already knowing the factorization, to extend the RSA UFO project indefinitely. That way the security of the accumulator can be upgraded via a hard fork when bigger UFOS are found at a later date. That way over time the chance the NSA has already cracked the UFOs gets smaller and smaller.

Yes I think its a good idea.  Hell, maybe we can build the RSA UFO generator right into the wallet, have everyone churning RSA UFOs all day if they want to, then do yearly hardforks to incorporate the new juicy UFOs.

That is a good idea, and I think it would go a long ways towards instilling trust in the RSA UFOs used to create the accumulator. Building it into the client would make it more likely that people would partake in the generation of the UFOs.

Even better, if we could figure out a way to incentivize people to do it they would be more likely to do so. If this could be figured out I think Anoncoin would have something really special here. By changing the PoW to RSA UFO generation it would incentivize them by rewarding them block rewards. I'm not sure what Anoncoin's block time is, but you could take the largest UFO generated per block and reward the finder with some Anoncoins. I would suggest switching from PoW to a form of PoS so it costs much less to secure the block chain. That would free up some Anoncoins in each block reward to be awarded to the person that generates the biggest UFO.

I don't have enough technical knowledge to figure out if this is plausible or not, but if it is possible then it could really help the long term sustainability and security of the project. There are already talks of switching to auxPoW, why not switch to something like ufoPoW if it is possible. Hopefully Gnosis or Meeh can comment as to if this would be possible to do in some way or another. Perhaps it could be done in another way and the way I stated is impossible... either way if it can be done I think it would be a great thing to do.
Activity: 336

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust

Jump to: